There is only one problem with Psy-Trance today

Ormion

Once again, spot on! Digital distributor that sells for fair price ie 1$ a track.

652465[/snapback]

baba when the time comes to release your own music, mastered with artwork, etc, you'll tell me if releasing music for 1$ a track is a wise business solution. in the meantime... the rest of us aren't Sony, we can't sell products at a loss expecting higher sales in the future... the price is not that far off though. What is important to keep in mind is that making the cd is not worth more than 1-2$ (including printed material, pressing, etc...) even for a digipack, what costs money is the music...

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice!

I'd rather buy an original cd, with original covers/artwork/booklet etc., than buy-download the music and artwork, burn em on cdr and print the covers myself, or something.

Wouldn't mind buying mp3/wav when it's just a single track, or something exclusive. But full albums? original cd anyday  :)

652725[/snapback]

Same here... The day CDs and vinyls are no longer printed (or any other form of media, be it DVD or whatever yet unknown form) and the music is only available online will be the day I stop buying music.

some other points why cds better survive...

-self burned cds are of less quality and will become unreadable much sooner (I have cds from 97 that were burned that I can't read anymore) while cds are better pressed...

652617[/snapback]

and thus you burn another one... :o that's the beauty of it... you keep the digital file and you burn a copy anytime you need. while if you have only ONE pressed CD, if you scratch it you are fuckt.

but I'm sure even then we won't see a penny, because the company selling our WAV's then will ask too much :P

652617[/snapback]

then you are just dealing with the wrong people... ;)

notice it's not my business either to deal with released music though... i'm just saying.

Research was done for that, we compared with some other sites etc, and it was not possible for a little label, it would cost too much :( btw; the payment is a big problem as wel, to allow payment by VISA on a site you have to pay... of course :(

652437[/snapback]

paypal :D?

baba when the time comes to release your own music, mastered with artwork, etc, you'll tell me if releasing music for 1$ a track is a wise business solution. in the meantime... the rest of us aren't Sony, we can't sell products at a loss expecting higher sales in the future...  :)

652727[/snapback]

will one euro be fine :D? Edited by reger

and thus you burn another one...  :o  that's the beauty of it... you keep the digital file and you burn a copy anytime you need. while if you have only ONE pressed CD, if you scratch it you are fuckt.

652732[/snapback]

You can make backups of the original CD as well, you know?

In addition, your hdd/filesystem could get blown up at any time so the digital file is gone. ;)

Digital downloads are looking pretty, but nothing compares to holding a CD in your hands.

I think the war between CD and digital media was lost at the same moment fast internet connections began to spread, plus p2p... Internet technologies developed rapidly and CDs stayed the same for years. It's year 2006, the f*cking 21st century! High time for 5.1, 32bit, 192kHz!

Imagine a disk (Blu Ray?) comes out with 200GB of information, who'd download that? An mp3 would sound like a preview @ saiko compared to the original :)

Also these awkwardly looking files in a folder named after artist - album + a jpg for a cover :/ Having a new format for an album would be so much better.

Anyway, labels wont be able to sell more if they don't change their model.

Guest Cosmogenesis

...we are too laCy to go to the record shop and since all want to have a huge collection, we cant afford/dont want to spend all our money on music.

652570[/snapback]

I don't think that the psytrancers are lazy to go to the record shop. It's really a false argument, or it's because you have the famous syndrom of the greek "varemara" or laziness. :lol: IMO, you simply don't want to spend money for cd's anymore or not for all, and especially when you have already to pay your monthly internet subscription... I understand it. ;)

For my personal case, the problem is that I simply can't find psytrance cd's (except some very commercial full-on releases) in the place where I'm living. BUT, I'm trying to find a solution and buy some original cd's (mainly newest releases, because I can get them more easily) from online shops or professional sellers.

For me, as Anoebis explained it perfectly with all his true arguments , a real cd means first of all "quality": perfect quality of the sound, of the artwork, of the physical support. I need to have the original cd with the design on the cd (not the burned cd-r) and the artwork covers (not the printed paper covers from my home printer) in my hands to enjoy "fully" what I'm listening.

So, if labels start to sell digital audio mp3 for 1 euro or dollar, and stop to press real cd's, this quality will disappear, it would be "artisticely-musically" a disaster IMO, maybe not economically though for the labels & artists... But I prefer hundred times to buy a real cd than digital audio mp3, and I'm sure that I'm not the one to share this opinion. ;)

"It's more expensive to download a CD than to buy it": you're completely right, Anoebis, especially when you start to realize that, if you want to burn and imitate by yourself an original cd (which is almost impossible by the way), you need to spend some money for a cd-r, for the inks to print the digital covers, the paper, and... also for your internet subscription to download those mp3's!

As you say, mp3 are good only for promotion, and I want to add also for the tracks or albums which are impossible to buy or find nowadays (and for those you need 400euros to buy it :P ).

Perhaps, the best to do is to give the choice to the psytrancers to buy original cd's or digital audio mp3's to the psytrancers. But I don't know if it's worth for the labels to create a such double market sale...

Imagine a disk (Blu Ray?) comes out with 200GB of information, who'd download that? An mp3 would sound like a preview @ saiko compared to the original :)

652754[/snapback]

Blu-ray can hold up to 50G in dual-layer and that's for data,not audio.

But guys,we are talking about labels releasing CDs AND mp3's online.

In facts I know tons of students that don't have internet altough that is the age music is the most important in your life) and the reason why you don't know anybody without a comp is probably because I am a student, 2 different age categories... :P face it, you are getting OLD and rich :D

652720[/snapback]

I'm a student. I have lots of student friends. EVERY one of them owns a computer.

I wouldn't say it's a student/age thing.

I'm a student. I have lots of student friends. EVERY one of them owns a computer.

I wouldn't say it's a student/age thing.

652786[/snapback]

and all of them have internet? that was my point :P I only know 2 people without a computer, so it's a minority, but I know many people without any internet... or is Belgium such a 3d-world country? :D

Here we need a VISA to have a Paypal account, and you only get VISA when you have a job/cashflow... Which is not the case for many youngsters

652739[/snapback]

afaik, you can get a card for online buys from your bank without it being a "real" credit card. i.e. a card that you "charge" with money at your local branch and use to transfer this money to suntrip/other label.

dont take this in the wrong way: do you have a problem against those of us who like to buy your products online? i dont get it.. (look at what gnome also said, i quote it below)

I don't think that the psytrancers are lazy to go to the record shop. It's really a false argument, or it's because you have the famous syndrom of the greek "varemara" or laziness.  :lol: IMO, you simply don't want to spend money for cd's anymore or not for all, and especially when you have already to pay your monthly internet subscription... I understand it.  ;)

652758[/snapback]

hardly.. maybe you have not realised all (physical) record shops are closing down one after the other??

come on people, are you oblivious to what is happenning? even in london there is no proper psy-shop anymore. only one i know of is dmt and last time i was there it was reduced to a stall, not a shop, that sold some cd's left over unsold from the old days. their main trade is t-shirts, etc !

But guys,we are talking about labels releasing CDs AND mp3's online.

652768[/snapback]

exactly.

it seems people think we're advocating the death of the cd.

but all we are actually supporting is for labels/artists to go with the flow of things and have the digital option available....

(i admit there is a new problem here.. if you have both ways of selling, it will be hard to print lets say 300 cds, because the price will be even hgher)

as for downloading being more expensive than buying... not always true..

i want music. and i want it now. i'm not that happy with ordering stuff online and waiting for it to arrive. (and sometimes get lost or broken)

the other day i got the new koxbox for 15 euros from a physical shop. (which is 20km from where i live actually.)

and all of them have internet? that was my point :P I only know 2 people without a computer, so it's a minority, but I know many people without any internet... or is Belgium such a 3d-world country? :D

652792[/snapback]

I know one that doesn't uses the internet (he might have a modem connection tho).

Might be that it's almost possible for everyone in Sweden to get a decent internet connection cheap. Don't know how it is in Belgium.

But saying that students doesn't have computers or internet connection doesn't apply to Sweden at all :)