I am angry

Guest Elysium

I'll try and reply as clear as I can.

Lets boil it down to this.  Music under 145 bpm is not really welcome at the mainstages (or any stages actually) at most Festivals or parties. Not even the Festivals or parties that invite

557532[/snapback]

I can second that. I got booked to the More here in Amsterdam, but he wanted to put me in the chillout room. Now, Jos, Kris and Mars, can you tell me (because youve heard my music) IS my music chillout? I declined the booking actually, because I think its an insult to me as an artist. My tracks are almost ALL 142-143 BPM, 2 of them are 137. Full with melodies, and full with 303's..... CHILL OUT MY A**

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll try and reply as clear as I can.

Lets boil it down to this.  Music under 145 bpm is not really welcome at the mainstages (or any stages actually) at most Festivals or parties. Not even the Festivals or parties that invite The Suomi artists, Swedish Forest Artists etc. Not even here in Sweden!  They all make fast music too and that is why they get bookings ;) - Show me any Festival or party organiser that would book any of them if they speeded down to 130-133 bpm ;)

There is no room for slower music unless it is psy chillout which I find to be more and more a cliche of shanti baba lets all try to be ethnic and have a sitar playing and as I said I do not consider myself a chill out artist I never was one with Elysium. So I really never wanted chllout bookings. Leave that to those who are much better at it than me.

Then there's the progressive side at many festivals (most of the time pushed into off hours or small non quality stages so it wont interfere with the psy crowd) where we mostly find the most "commercial" names to be booked = the progressive trance artists that now a days also seem to go faster and faster and less progressive and much more Fullonish ;)  I saw Atmos live not so long ago and he certantly also has turned up the speed button ;)  So has almost anyone else of the popular Festival artists with some exceptions.  Wonder why ;)

So no there is no room for those who do not fit the fast genre and try to make their own unique music.

One side note.. How come none of the Belgian Festival or party organisers ever booked me (except for you one time where I could not be there)?  I could easily say that I have been a part of the artist released via Belgian labels that put Belgium on the goa/psy trance map...Just a question since your organsiers seem to be very "goa'ish" ;)

Oh and I actually contacted Rhakti Deï Festival this year for a booking... Guess what.. They did not bother to answer me back ;)

Food for though.

557532[/snapback]

I agree that there are not so much groups playing slower music, altough I ended up already on parties and festivals where they were playing like 140-135 BPM progressive... I am not really into progressive, so I have no idea how the evolution is there... About the dark music I agree its mostly véry fast, but it's not the case with many Finnish groups, many of them have lots of funky tracks around 140 bpm, and Loopus in Fabula, which get booked alot, plays alot slower tracks as well... Anyway, in general you are right about Big parties and festival. But within the releases it is a little different luckely enough!

About not being booked in Belgium, there are a few reasons (and now i'm speaking for my case)

1. I learned that most artists that made old school in the passed and moved on to another style, don't want to play their old music... And you wrote a few times old school is over for you etc, so well, I'm not willing to be rude, but people would come to hear old schoolish trance and would be very dissapointed when they hear progressive trance/house crossover...

2. We wanted to book you long time ago indeed, so we were planning it back then, but since then alot changed, we started suntrip, and there are loads of "small" artists that had the chance to play on parties here because of that (so, it's not true that only big names play here)

3. I simply didn't organised many big parties anymore, rather smaller ones, because it is more fun, I have the right public, and there is less stress etc...

But if you are still willing to play an old school set we may think about that in the future... :)

About Rhakti Dei festival, Dan is totally into dark music, the line up the first year was very melodic indeed, but I helped them alot back then with the line up, so that explains partly, now they don't really want old school acts anymore (they only booked Cosmosis this year because they knew that would bring alot of people).

I can second that. I got booked to the More here in Amsterdam, but he wanted to put me in the chillout room. Now, Jos, Kris and Mars, can you tell me (because youve heard my music) IS my music chillout? I declined the booking actually, because I think its an insult to me as an artist. My tracks are almost ALL 142-143 BPM, 2 of them are 137. Full with melodies, and full with 303's..... CHILL OUT MY A**

557563[/snapback]

lol, don't worry, it is NOT chill out, and if you would ever play on a party of me you would never end up in the chill room, lol... In fact your music reminded me on more melodic AND PICTHED UP (héhé) Emmanuel Top, so nice acid trance :)

Guest Elysium

I agree that there are not so much groups playing slower music, altough I ended up already on parties and festivals where they were playing like 140-135 BPM progressive... I am not really into progressive, so I have no idea how the evolution is there... About the dark music I agree its mostly véry fast, but it's not the case with many Finnish groups, many of them have lots of funky tracks around 140 bpm, and Loopus in Fabula, which get booked alot, plays alot slower tracks as well... Anyway, in general you are right about Big parties and festival. But within the releases it is a little different luckely enough!

About not being booked in Belgium, there are a few reasons (and now i'm speaking for my case)

1. I learned that most artists that made old school in the passed and moved on to another style, don't want to play their old music... And you wrote a few times old school is over for you etc, so well, I'm not willing to be rude, but people would come to hear old schoolish trance and would be very dissapointed when they here progressive trance/house crossover...

2. We wanted to book you long time ago indeed, so we were planning it back then, but since then alot changed, we started suntrip, and there are loads of "small" artists that had the chance to play on parties here because of that (so, it's not true that only big names play here)

3. I simply didn't organised many big parties anymore, rather smaller ones, because it is more fun, I have the right public, and there is less stress etc...

But if you are still willing to play an old school set we may think about that in the future... :)

About Rhakti Dei festival, Dan is totally into dark music, the line up the first year was very melodic indeed, but I helped them alot back then with the line up, so that explains partly, now they don't really want old school acts anymore (they only booked Cosmosis this year because they knew that would bring alot of people).

557573[/snapback]

First thanks for the offer to play a oldschool set but no thanks. I really meant what I said about not going to get involved in this scene anymore with Elysium or as an artist in general. I'll still debate about the scene though ;)

I was not so much thinking about you as a organsier but Belgium in general. I mean lets be real here. In 13 years not one booking? I just never really understood why. But thats history and not the absolute main point in what i try to communicate :)

A last note. Yes some play 140 but show me any organiser small or big that would put a still very danceable 128 - 135 bpm tribal, ethnic, psy, progressive, athmospheric, melodic artist on the lineup these days. Even in the afternoon or late morning?

If they excist out there and you can get them too book me then I'll eat my old hat and revalue the whole thing ;) I challenge anyone who say they excist ;)

*** Just to be clear it was a joke... dont waste your time :) ***

Edited by Elysium

lol, don't worry, it is NOT chill out, and if you would ever play on a party of me you would never end up in the chill room, lol... In fact your music reminded me on more melodic AND PICTHED UP (héhé) Emmanuel Top, so nice acid trance :)

557578[/snapback]

Book me y0 ;) Thanks for the compliment! :D

why are u so surprised that ppl don't book you on the mainfloor for a 130 bpm set if allmost all music at parties is being played at 140-150 bpm ?

there are different scenes for that kind of music ....

if I would play at 170 bpm all the time ppl would tell me to go and play at hardcore parties .....

I'm just trying to understand why you are so you are dissapointed (apart from the dodgy organisers that one was clear to me)

Guest Elysium

why are u so surprised that ppl don't book you on the mainfloor for a 130 bpm set if allmost all music at parties is being played at 140-150 bpm  ?

557614[/snapback]

Not to be rude but do i really need to explain that to you? I am sure you can figure out by yourself what my point is ;)

Ok ok I'll explain it. I am tired of the fact that the majority of Festivals and parties only book fast music. Now yes they book progressive too but Elysium is not progressive, as you Anoebis also misunderstood ;), and is much more connected to the Goa/psy side of the scene than the progressive side. And it's always been like that. So of course it is only natural that I want to play on the main stage on the psy stages with Elysium. And not in the chillout which got nothing to do with Elysium's music. Elysium is music to dance to.

And who ever said that there is no room for music under 145 bpm on the main stages? Is the scene really that narrowminded these days? I guess so!

Not to be rude but do i really need to explain that to you?  I am sure you can figure out by yourself what my point is ;)

Ok ok I'll explain it.  I am tired of the fact that the majority of Festivals and parties only book fast music.  Now yes they book progressive too but Elysium is not progressive, as you Anoebis also misunderstood ;), and is much more connected to the Goa/psy side of the scene than the progressive side. And it's always been like that.  So of course it is only natural that I want to play on the main stage on the psy stages with Elysium. And not in the chillout which got nothing to do with Elysium's music.  Elysium is music to dance to.

And who ever said that there is no room for music under 145 bom on the main stages?  is the scene really that narrowminded these days?  I guess so!

557621[/snapback]

Have you tried booking gigs in the UK. its mostly slowed down progressive. No 150bpm killargs over here. Ive heard a few acts on the main dancefloor that were like 135 +- bpm.

Guest Elysium

Have you tried booking gigs in the UK. its mostly slowed down progressive. No 150bpm killargs over here. Ive heard a few acts on the main dancefloor that were like 135 +- bpm.

557625[/snapback]

Yes and the answer is always... Maybe next year we are fully booked ;)

First thanks for the offer to play a oldschool set but no thanks. I really meant what I said about not going to get involved in this scene anymore with Elysium or as an artist in general.  I'll still debate about the scene though ;)

I was not so much thinking about you as a organsier but Belgium in general. I mean lets be real here. In 13 years not one booking? I just never really understood why. But thats history and not the absolute main point in what i try to communicate :)

A last note. Yes some play 140 but show me any organiser small or big that would put a still very danceable 128 - 135 bpm tribal, ethnic, psy, progressive, athmospheric, melodic artist on the lineup these days.  Even in the afternoon or late morning?

If they excist out there and you can get them too book me then I'll eat my old hat and revalue the whole thing ;)  I challenge anyone who say they excist ;)

*** Just to be clear it was a joke... dont waste your time :) ***

557596[/snapback]

Elysium, you speak as if the music world owes you something, that your music somehow deserves a higher position in the hierarchy. Are you going to whine your way into a gig? Is that how you want to compete in the music jungle? Okay, so you were around at the beginning, and some people like your work. That doesn't mean that everybody does - I, for one, never did, frankly; I found it boorish, awkward and tiresome, and don't get me started on your ambient work - or that because you were lucky enough to be among the initiators that you somehow deserve a cut of today's pie. I think you should step back, maybe step out altogether like you suggest, get a grip, re-evaluate yourself as well as your music, then come back with something to say. Then, maybe you'll get a gig.

But it's a goddamn jungle, Kristian - dude - and I refuse to sit back and watch you whine your way in when your music should be doing the talking instead. Since Day 1 here at Psynews you've been hanging out, trashing other artists when it's been very clear, to me at least, that you're doing it out of an inferiority complex. I recommend getting in touch with those personal issues you refuse to confront, to work through your own failings in a productive fashion, instead of lashing out on the industry and everyone involved (but yourself), in a meek attempt to claw your way into some action without the goods to back it up. Grow up.

Guest Elysium

Anyway I dont want to sound like I hate every single thing about the psytrance scene. I dont. If I did I doubt I would sit here now and debate or even less care about the scene.

I have had great years and many many memorable times in the scene around the world.

But I just came to the conclusion that some things in life are not worth fighting for if you can see it's a lost cause and you use too much energy and time on something that will never pay off. And in my case it is a lost cause becuase I am not willing to go on compromise with my music and do as everybody else do to get gigs. Turn up the bpm button and follow the "instructions" of labels who think they know it all. Yes yes some of you are good guys :)

So as I wrote in my very first post. I am changing scene and will use my time and enery in a place where I have recieved much more respect and appriciation the last 6 months than the last 3 years in the psyscene :)

Guest Elysium

Elysium, you speak as if the music world owes you something, that your music somehow deserves a higher position in the hierarchy. Are you going to whine your way into a gig? Is that how you want to compete in the music jungle? Okay, so you were around at the beginning, and some people like your work. That doesn't mean that everybody does - I, for one, never did, frankly; I found it boorish, awkward and tiresome, and don't get me started on your ambient work - or that because you were lucky enough to be among the initiators that you somehow deserve a cut of today's pie. I think you should step back, maybe step out altogether like you suggest, get a grip, re-evaluate yourself as well as your music, then come back with something to say. Then, maybe you'll get a gig.

But it's a goddamn jungle, Kristian - dude - and I refuse to sit back and watch you whine your way in when your music should be doing the talking instead. Since Day 1 here at Psynews you've been hanging out, trashing other artists when it's been very clear, to me at least, that you're doing it out of an inferiority complex. I recommend getting in touch with those personal issues you refuse to confront, to work through your own failings in a productive fashion, instead of lashing out on the industry and everyone involved (but yourself), in a meek attempt to claw your way into some action without the goods to back it up. Grow up.

557633[/snapback]

I think this was my key to stop my side of the debate here before you turn it into something personal instead of what it should be. A debate.

*This is only my opinion*

I think it's a heartbreaking shame the way labels treat the artists these days.

First they submit a track or two hoping it's the sound they're looking for. Either the artist(s) get a rejection email/call or they get "yes, it's perfect... but we just need to change a few things". WTF?? If it's perfect, why change anything?!!

Promoters/organizers... pffft... I hear horror stories all the time about how artists get shafted for either payment for their live act & or a flight home!

It happends all the time & pisses me off! :angry:

I really don't understand the mentality of some (un-named) promoters/organizers. Do they have no heart at all? Money hungry b*stards!

Sad, but true imo. :(

Elysium, I understand somewhat how angry/upset you are at the scene... disappointed in it too I imagine. You do whatever your heart tells you to do, and if that means leaving the scene... then that's a brave choice & you'll be missed!

Fuck 'big labels', Do It Yourself. The Underground Way. The Schlabbadurest way or  the Suntrip way even.

557688[/snapback]

hehe, thanks, but the thing is, if you do it "our" way or the Schlab, Sanaton,... way, you don't earn one penny, altough it takes lots of your time, and I think exactly THAT is the problem... Way too few people dedicate theirselve to the music, but they think running a label = earning money, so = releasing more commercial music = releasing full on :P

But that is what I meant in one of my comments earlier, I have the feeling quiet alot of "new" people have their heart on the right place and they try to make things better, so there is hope :)

hehe, thanks, but the thing is, if you do it "our" way or the Schlab, Sanaton,... way, you don't earn one penny, altough it takes lots of your time, and I think exactly THAT is the problem... Way too few people dedicate theirselve to the music, but they think running a label = earning money, so = releasing more commercial music = releasing full on :P

But that is what I meant in one of my comments earlier, I have the feeling quiet alot of "new" people have their heart on the right place and they try to make things better, so there is hope :)

557700[/snapback]

Its funny you say that.

Ive noticed that not a lot of FULL ON is actually being sold lately. It seems progressive has become more "commercial". I havnt seen (or heard) any new full on acts in ages. Dark Psy yes, but full on? not really.....i wonder if everyone has clicked that its just all the same boring shit.

Ok ok I'll explain it.  I am tired of the fact that the majority of Festivals and parties only book fast music. 

And who ever said that there is no room for music under 145 bpm on the main stages?  Is the scene really that narrowminded these days?  I guess so!

557621[/snapback]

I still don't get it, ... most ppl I know who are into goa don't like 130 bpm music just like me other ppl who are not into goa (dnb breakcore, hardcore) think 150 bpm is slow music ... I really think that you should also promote your music in a different scene ....

ok nobody said that psytrance has to be 145 bpm but the fact is that this is the bpm that works for most psytranceppl. So is the psytrance scene narrowminded : yes it is like every other scene (I don't think a 150 bpm set would work on a house party)

Its funny you say that.

Ive noticed that not a lot of FULL ON is actually being sold lately. It seems progressive has become more "commercial". I havnt seen (or heard) any new full on acts in ages. Dark Psy yes, but full on? not really.....i wonder if everyone has clicked that its just all the same boring shit.

557705[/snapback]

yeah possible, the scene is always shifting, there is clearly a raise of progressive house trance/crossover and dark trance, it's not a bad thing, as long the music becomes NOT like a formula and boring...

I still don't get it, ... most ppl I know who are into goa don't like 130 bpm music just like me other ppl who are not into goa (dnb breakcore, hardcore) think 150 bpm is slow music ... I really think that you should also promote your music in a different scene ....

ok nobody said that psytrance has to be 145 bpm but the fact is that this is the bpm that works for most psytranceppl. So is the psytrance scene narrowminded : yes it is like every other scene (I don't think a 150 bpm set would work on a house party)

557714[/snapback]

i agree... do you still produce goa Chris? cause if we're talking about the HOLM AND ANDERSEN affair that's prog isin't it? i don't think i need to tell you that :rolleyes: i dunno what i'm doing here, i'm going for some coffee...

anyway... don't give out cause of a bad season... you make music cause you like to, so fuck the rest... it might work itself out later :)

And who ever said that there is no room for music under 145 bpm on the main stages? Is the scene really that narrowminded these days? I guess so!

When was there ever slower music on the mainstage in this scene?

If the scene is narrowminded when it comes to tempo it has been since day one, atleast thats what I recon.

Peace