Title: Oxycanta - Electro atmospheric glides amidst emotional gardens

Format: CD (digipack)

Label: Ultimae Records (France)

Cat. #: INRE 019

Distribution: Ultimae.com/network

Date: Ultimo April 2006

Track listing:

01. 07’32” Ghostfriend - Moist

02. 08’57” Solar Fields – Detection (Partially Detected)

03. 05’25” Between Interval - Aerolith

04. 06’34” Aes Dana – Mineral Lights (Submerge Edit)

05. 10’00” Cell – Floatation Retention

06. 07’38” Asura – Galaxies Part 1

07. 06’40” Sync24 - Source

08. 07’55” Hybrid Leisureland – Trampoline Hotel

09. 06’52” Subgardens – Listen To The Flowers Grow (Aes Dana Remix)

10. 05’50” Omnimotion – Magic Tree

Review:

What becomes of the broken hearted?

With Oxycanta the French powerhouse chill masters Ultimae marks their 19th release. Following the ambitious 2xCD release of the incredible Solar Fields albums Leaving Home and Extended it’s time for a compilation of mixed sorts. The tracklist reveals the usual Ultimae suspects + a bunch of unfamiliar names – just like we’re used to… And to ensure the previous sky-high quality standards, it’s all been compiled by Mahiane (aka. Sunbeam)… We’re in good hands – now let’s check out these electro atmospheric glides amidst emotional gardens…

Let me take you thru the tracks…

#01: Ghostfriend – Moist

This is my first encounter with Ghostfriend which is a project run by the Swedish producer Krister Linder (of K, Solaroid, Tupilaq and Yeti fame) in corporation with Per Holm & Aleah. Combined, they’ve been producing ambient for over 10 years, and that’s apparent after listening to this… This is extremely well thought-out arctic downbeat… Northern ambient with a big splash of subtle percussion and dream-like sequencing… Floating pads and some very lush little melodies… Moist indeed!

#02: Solar Fields – Detection (Partially Detected)

The tracks fade into each other to secure a continuous flow, so we drift seamlessly into the next one. This track is an extract from the last track off the 2005 Solar Fields album Extended. With that album Swedish producer Magnus Birgersson took experimental downbeat to a new level, and much like the original this remake is an extension of its urban, avant-garde predecessor. A symbiosis of sound fusing melancholy ambient with interplanetary rhythms… Breaks, beats and urban ambience… Anyone familiar with the Extended album would know, that this may be perceived as introvert music at first, and thus it requires time to grow. But given time, this is a rare gem… Very journey’esque and very sweet!

#03: Between Interval – Aerolith

Stefan Jönsson (Monodrive/Sublunar) from Lund, Sweden also had a track on the Albedo compilation - a track that was an instant stand-out with its icy cold, dark ambient qualities… And sure enough, this track is very similar… Eerie melodies are constantly morphing into each other creating a very distinct, nocturnal atmosphere… Forget about percussion or bass – this is pure, unhampered beatless ambient… Again seemingly very introvert, but the gift of time elevates this track…

#04: Aes Dana – Mineral Lights (Submerge Edit)

Send in the cavalry!… Ultimae boss Vincent Villuis never seize to amaze me with his consistently high quality of exoteric downbeat… And this track is no exception! As usual the pace is quickening when Aes Dana makes an appearance and style wise we’re drifting from ambient into more chilled downtempo – most notable with the introduction of percussion as an integral part of the track… Rhythm-based, universal downbeat – with floating melodies and majestic harmonies… Wonderful!

#05: Cell – Floatation Retention

French Producer Alexandre Scheffer is another chill-heavyweight... His quality level is pretty much consistent, and lately I’ve been really enjoying his two tracks on the Floating Point 3 compilation released by Iboga Records’ chilled sub-label Sofa Beats… What we get here, is a trademark Cell track with its epic, story-telling qualities… A moving journey from ambient to upbeat chill and back again… All carried out with the greatest of ease – with some real impressive instrumentation too… A majestic, almost orchestral experience… Lush!

#06: Asura – Galaxies Part 1

Asura is another one of my all-time fav’e chill projects... Both Asura albums are nothing short of amazing and have given me countless hours of satisfaction. Nowadays it’s a one-man project by Charles Farewell and it’s been way too long since I’ve heard anything from this Lyon-based magician… This is electrified world-beats – lush ethno electro of gargantuan dimensions… Epic, uplifting, mesmerizing, hypnotizing and – need I go on? This is, hands down, the best track here… The triumphant return of Asura! Simply marvellous!

#07: Sync24 – Source

Swedish producer Daniel Ringström (of Carbon Based Lifeforms fame) is another Ultimae regular who has yet to let me down with his distinct style of experimental, fused downbeat… And as usual, this part of the compilation marks the return to more chilled, laidback grooves… We’re slowly moving from eclectic, progressive downbeat into more sterile, floating ambient…

#08: Hybrid Leisureland – Trampoline Hotel

Apparently Japanese producer Hidetoshi Koizumi has been making music since 1995 – but this is my first encounter with his work… This track is anything but conventional – this is deeply experimental, electrified dark ambient… Dubby, heavily filtered, virtually beatless ambient with evident links to both electro, avant-garde and abstract electronica… And in that regard, this is maybe the most flow-breaking track off the CD. Actually it’s pretty out there! Not bad, but I have a somewhat hard time connecting to it… It’s not bad at all, but it’s not a fav’e either…

#09: Subgardens – Listen To The Flowers Grow (Aes Dana Remix)

Subgardens is a joint project between Cédric Desseaux & Mahiane – and this seemingly unreleased track is remixed by Vincent Villuis… And you can easily tell who’s behind this – this is trademark Ultimae ambient – rich, versatile and totally smooth… Floating soundscapes and atmospheric pads – carried out to near perfection… Brilliant!

#10: Omnimotion – Magic Tree

“Magic tree, please grow far above the clouds while I sleep on this branch so high up over ground. And there’s no turning back now…Tomorrow when I wake up, we’ve reached heaven.” Omnimotion is Stefan Lundaahl from Sweden who has released an album on Waveform Records and a bunch of compilation tracks on such great chill labels as Liquid Sound Design and Interchill… This is his Ultimae debut though – and also my first encounter with his music… As legend has it, we’re really chilling out on the closing track – and this is pure ambient with a distinct ethno-tribal touch to it… The guitar work is impressive, the vocals by Mimi are adorable and the track sounds very organic and mysterious… Pure magic!

Another stellar Ultimae compilation comes to a halt – and once again I’m filled with satisfaction as the journey comes to an end… This is another above-average chill-out compilation by the leading chill label. The Ultimae compilation formula doesn’t surprise much any longer – it’s pretty much the same structurally and flow-wise, but why change a winning formula when it’s *this* good?

There are no bad tracks here, and there’s only one track that I didn’t really dig – and a couple of tracks that took a while to get into… But it’s all good – literally! Especially the middle part of the compilation is extremely nice – and I keep dropping my jaw when listening to those gems. The quality level of the music continues in the artwork, and as usual we get a really slick, informative digipack with subtle artwork. All in all, a great package and a no-brainer purchase for the many members of the Ultimae Army… Fans of eclectic downbeat can also start, what will undoubtedly be, their life-long love affair with Ultimae here… Enjoy!

Favourites: 1, 4(!), 5(!), 6(!!), 9, 10(!)

DeathPosture

Posted Image

External links:

Ultimae Records: http://www.ultimae.com

Discogs: http://www.discogs.com/release/669595

Ultima E-shop: http://tinyurl.com/p8qup

Saiko Sounds: http://tinyurl.com/q4wqq

Amboworld: http://tinyurl.com/n95ev

ShopSonic: http://tinyurl.com/lvd4d

Psyshop: http://tinyurl.com/r8fdj

Ajuca: http://tinyurl.com/pcf9l

• 2 weeks later...

I'm waiting on this to arrive with my other 5 CD's (my one-time yearly and very careful purchase selection) that i have ordered from psyshop. I read this review when it was first published, and appreciate Death Postures words on this. :) ... I have found that ultimae have nothing but absolute class when releasing albums.

As i happen to have both SolarFields (home/extended) albums and have come to love them dearly i am really looking forward to hearing this album. The "Solar Fields – Detection (Partially Detected)" track i heard about 1.5 months ago, and it's absolutely beautiful, it works on every level that my ears can hear. So just having this one on the CD is good enough for me. :) ... Aes Dana has released excellent music, (i have not heard anything from the other musicians in the album) but it is with alot of expectation that i await for my order to arrive. (it should be here in about 3 days and i will write my own review if i have time off work in the next couple of weeks or later if i'm too busy, aka lazy).

:)

• 4 weeks later...

Well ultimae records is my best ambient label so what can i say about this compilation! The best thing you can do is to take the comp, put in your soundstystem, relax, and listen the magic atmospheric sound from ultimae records!

Another beautiful release from French label...

About the cover, mmm i cant stop to look it and listen the great tunes...great relation between music and the beautiful cover!

Rated : Definitely 10/10

I propose you this for sure, if u dont have it yet!!! :)

• 1 month later...

Haven't heard the tunes yet, but I find the title "Electro atmospheric glides amidst emotional gardens" INCREDIBLY lame.

579965[/snapback]

Well the music makes up for it. Nothing lame about it at all.

Okay, so after endless listens to this cd, i am ready to put down my thoughts about this Album.

This is really one petal of the flower that is Ultimea Records. I have now got almost all of their cd's that i can get from Ultimae and if i were to rate Oxycanta it would land about 3rd or 4th in my favourites list.

Mahiane has compiled a beautiful flow of tracks that can be listened to repeatedly, however, i find that when i am not in the right frame of mind that i need to listen to something else (which would usually be more like H.U.V.A network or SolarFields).

I have found that this CD slowly morphes from start to finish, giving us just enough chilled-out-flowing-goodness, enough melody and often enough of an almost beatless experience to make the relaxation grow and slide like liquid smoothness.

Ghostfriend, Solar Fields and Between Interval give us the first 3 tracks on the album with their Swedish sounds (they are mixed very well almost as one). Aes Dana makes his timely appearance with #4 Mineral Light (submerged edit), and is much in keeping with the albums chai(?). From here, track #5 Floating Retention, by Cell (see also "blue embers" on fahrenheit part 5!!) builds up the moment, giving us a good 10 minutes to be absorbed, and i love the way it works... but it also changes things, catching more of my attention until we drift into track #6 Asura - Galaxies Part1 which doesn't particularly remind me of anything galactic but certainly is another fine mixture of style... I find that we move into Syn24's track #7 too quickly however with the 6 minutes and 29 seconds of Source being over too quickly and we arrive at some heavy percussion in #8, this may or may not work for you, but i find it a little too in-my-face and tends to break the flow for it's first 4 minutes tho' the rest of the track builds up and works on it's own level but still could have been better. Track #9 Listen to the Flowers Grow, by Subgardens is I think the first from the trio of artists: Cedric Desseaix, Mahiane (compliler of this cd), and vincent villius (Aes Dana). It's an interesting mixture of ambience and downtempo. But I get the feeling that Vincent Villius has helped this piece become what it is as their are traits in it that remind me of his Memory Shell album. I also find that it is more like a prequel to #10 "Magic Tree" by omnimotion. Magic Tree, starts off very differently from the other peices in this album, and somehow it makes it more seperated from the other tracks. It's interesting as a closing piece as normally i don't like any kind of additional-voice samples used in ambient songs but occasionally it is done right, and this is one of those times... I like the messages and the story that it contains... A nice ending but also one that took me quite a number of listens to the whole album to enjoy more.

On a side note, I also brought again as i deemed it a perfect gift as a Birthday Present for one of my good m8s.

9/10

Hybrid Leisureland – Trampoline Hotel

this is the highlight for me from this album

a true ambient piece

if you re not into ambient much but have only listened psyambient maybe hard to relate... but it is one good track

solid stuff

• 2 months later...

Wow thanks to abasio in Octobers "BEST 2006 albums thread" I just became aware of this one.

It's a good ambient/downtempo comp...very dreamy and floating.

I love track 6... (!!!) It's beautiful, spacey, floating, and dreamy. Asura inpressed me with this one. It's great!!

I just can't get into track tracks 7, 8, and 10... they're too slow and monotonous...boring and dull IMHO. They're good for putting me to sleep, especially the last track. Don't get me wrong, their supposed to be relaxing and slower...and I find other songs far more arresting and catchy/enjoyable to listen to here than those.

I most like tracks 1, 4, 5, 6, and 9.

Track 2 is decent, not great IMO and track 3 is above average, very spacey/floating.

I may have to put this one on my next order.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

Another grower here.

I liked it 1st time round but after repeated listens, it just gets better and better.

I know some people probably found it a little boring but stick with it & you'll not be dissapointed.

Great comp & I'm looking froward to number 2 :)

• 7 months later...

Posted Image

Various

Oxycanta

Ultimae

Tracklist

01. Ghostfriend - Moist

02. Solar Fields – Detection (Partially Detected)

03. Between Interval - Aerolith

04. Aes Dana – Mineral Lights (Submerge Edit)

05. Cell – Floatation Retention

06. Asura – Galaxies Part 1

07. Sync24 - Source

08. Hybrid Leisureland – Trampoline Hotel

09. Subgardens – Listen To The Flowers Grow (Aes Dana Remix)

10. Omnimotion – Magic Tree

This is the compilation that got me into Ultimae's sound. I am one of the biggest Ultimae whores around, I love everything they have put out so far so as you can imagine the compilation that introduced me too it is held in high esteem. My first from my favourite record label.

This though is not a usual Ultimae release of ambient leading into some trance beats & back again into ambient. This is super relaxed chill, there are beats there but they are more subtle than usual Ultimae.

1. Ghostfriend - Moist

A soft atmospheric intro with beats that are obviously there yet very subtle. They are soft beats that make you think they will get harder but they never do. The beauty in this track is the tease, the unfulfilled promises. The slight melody hints at something brighter but it's all subdued in a bed of rose coloured linen that just begs sleep.

2. Solar Fields - Detection (Partially Detected)

This is on a Solar Fields album in it's entirety but I'll try & review this as part of this journey here. It is quite a journey unto itself managing to fit in & stand out. The beat is heavy while being soft, prominent while subtle. It is the beats that drive the track & although they don't change they seem to gradually increase in energy & it's this that creates an atmosphere that is more than the sum of it's parts.

3. Between Interval - Aerolith

It all seems to drone. A few drones shifting from high pitch to lower frequencies in a way that sounds like they're falling from grace. Amazing how a fall from grace can sound so beautiful. This makes me feel like grace is not all it's cracked up to be & that a fall might be a good idea.

4. Aes Dana - Mineral Lights (Submerge Edit)

The sparkly start with sci fi sounds & rushes of melody give way to a much earthier monster. Like an alien menace has crash landed on earth & is slowly starting to spread among the local population. This track has the alien stealth & human mistrust to make it a sure fire paranoid winner!

5. Cell - Floating Retention

As the title suggests, this track floats. It manages to fly through your mind unaided allowing other sounds to add to it but never to detract from it. So much so that when all the other spacey sounds go & we are left with just the bare bones, floating retention seems to fly above the rest & even the celestial sounds seem to appear to come from underneath proving that this is higher than everything else. No matter how much it tries, in the alien forest.

6. Asura - Galaxies Part 1

Soft steady beats & an atmospheric spacial drone add up to a nice starry eyed surprise. This is definitely based on the experience of outer space. It's a spacey number given energy by beats that permeate halfway through & it sounds like a desperate rush to get nowhere. The vocal cry really make this a sci fi classic.

7. Sync 24 - Source

I feel like a familiar darkness has surrounded me. A slight melody from the darkness brings with it a baseline. The familiarity comes from recognising this track from elsewhere. Although I heard it here first I've heard it in different surroundings. It's nostalgic even if that nostalgia is just a few years it feels quite real.

8. Hybrid Leisureland - Trampoline Hotel

Amazingly this does feel like a trampoline at the start. it tries to build it into a hotel but realises the folly of this goal & gives up. It really doesn't try to be anything & I guess that is the point, although I never was good at getting the point. When listening to this in headphones, if I take them off all I hear is the rabble of other people. Putting them back on is a joy, a return to ordered nonsense.

9. Subgardens - Listen to the Flowers Grow (Aes Dana Rmx)

Suddenly we are definitely in a garden. Be it a human or an alien garden is debatable but it's an interesting garden. The atmosphere in this garden is late evening & the flowers you thought might never grow are given the chance to shine now. But it's not just the flowers that grow, it's the whole movement of the track where everything grows from the acorn to the mind to the birds & the bees, but most of all the flowers. Love the beats in this track too, lush reverse trips.

10. Omnimotion - Magic Tree

Great creaks ripple through this giving it a nice woody feel than even other forest tracks don't often manage. Each sound feels like the creaking of a tree coming down but there is never any almighty crash. It just gets softer & softer until the beat that was heroic ends up ordinary & reflective of it's past glory.

A lot of people might find this boring, even some ultimae fans may think this is too relaxed. Oxycanta is closer to real ambient than most other Ultimae releases with the beats being much more subtle giving the music a lot of space to work with, room to breathe.

• 1 month later...