live vs. live PA

RTP

Yeah, what does "live PA" mean?

We got Kindzadza coming to Vienna in March ... "live PA" :huh:

What the heck does live PA mean? Is it some mid-thing between live and dj? One song live, one song from DAT? Or does it mean that the artist does only add a few live elements to his songs and mixes them from CD completely? Or is it just a DJ set?

I mean ... I think I'm going to that gig anyway, but I'm just curious as I have read that term somewhere else before too and don't know :huh:

Anybody can enlighten me?

Oh...

Hmmm...

I have been told though that "live PA" is something different than "live" ... that it's something not fully live or whatever.

Also I think I have seen that on a flyer too where one artist was stated as live PA and the other was stated as live...

okay

so I feel a bit dumb now having started a thread about two terms that mean actually the same <_<

Live and live PA means the same thing. It just looks more fancy on the flyer.

A bit off topic but ... PA stands for public announcement.

426372[/snapback]

If you're talking about a PA system, yes.

If you're talking about a Personal Appearance by an artist, it means something else... ;)

If you're talking about a Personal Appearance by an artist, it means something else... ;)

426410[/snapback]

so "PA" means personal appearance?

wtf? is there a live set without personal appearance too :huh: ?

In my experience, live artists play all their tunes that you know and love where as a live PA has all their samples and beats and stuff all pre recorded and they make new tunes on the night. could be wrong though, my memory of who was a live PA is hazy.

Live PA is actually not only used for electronic events but for all kind of events..

Really it means the same thing than just live, but officially it's:

LIVE PERFORMING ACT

426459[/snapback]

seems like the best answer.

PA in my language means BYE. :)

I've looked into this a lot as I originally came from the band/live performance side of music (went to a music school after H.S., helped build a recording studio, was active in live audio either through gigging or doing local roadie work for nearly ten years) and no-one EVER uses the word "live PA" in those circles and it started to really bug me a few years ago.

It wasn't until I got into the electronic music scene where I discovered all kinds of standard music industry terms being complete misused. Live PA is just an incorrect bastardization of Live and P.A. (Public Address system, i.e. the big ass speakers you listen to the music on in clubs, at concerts, etc). Recently this idea that it means "Live Performing Act" and a hundred other similar permutations which no-one can agree on, has come up, but that is, in my opinion, just some term someone came up with when people outside the scene called the electronic scene on how "Live PA" is incorrect too many times. The fact that you've gotten about 5 different answers here alone would seem to bear that idea out. Anyways, "Live PA", together with how the term "producer" is completely misused in the electronic scene are probably two of my biggest pet peeves as a musician in this scene, but if those are my two biggest worries than I can't really be complaining about the state of my life can I? :P

Final analysis Live PA = Live....

Guest Elysium

Okay let's stop fooling RTP

PA stands for:

POSFORD APPROVED

It's like a certificate of quality..

426342[/snapback]

NOPE Penis Attrap

posford comments = OLD

YOU ARE ALL WRONG,FOOLISH EARTHLINGS!!!

j/k,perhaps some of u are right.

But from my personal experience,in the trance scene LIVE PA indeed means PERSONAL APPEARANCE(as some of u stated),but in reality, the meaning is that the party promoter was too damm cheap to pay the full fee for a "real" and full live act,thus making a deal with the artist to write LIVE PA on the flyer instead of just LIVE,and the artist would just spin his music from cd instead of "playing live".

Never did a "LIVE PA" myself but indeed had a few chances to witness this lame phenomena..... B)

hahaha this thread is actually really funny !!

Everybody thinks he's got the right answer !!

Looks like it differs from country to country as well because here, there's no way it's stands for "personnal appearance"; you never see a guy doing a "Live PA" spin cds, people would just tear the place down !! lol !!

And over here, it is actually used in other music spheres than electronic and that's where i got my "performing act" answer !!

But hey, let's get serious here, i vote for the "Penis attrap" definition !!

well from my experience 90% of all live acts aren't live so maybe this term means,

it's actually live

so we have a difference between fake live what is experienced as live and announced as live

and then the therm live PA what is indeed live but also experienced as live

:blink:

goa is an illusion, deal with it :P

well from my experience 90% of all live acts aren't live so maybe this term means,

it's actually live

so we have a difference between fake live what is experienced as live and announced as live

and then the therm live PA what is indeed live but also experienced as live

:blink:

goa is an illusion, deal with it  :P

427831[/snapback]

who fukin cares, they will charge the same money from organisers anyway and organisers will charge the same money for tickets <_<

?