Is goa dead or not, where does it stand?

Aeros

Discussion in Radi's thread about finding a label here had abit of sidetracking going on, I think radi was looking for an "oldschool goa" label, such as those that released this music 5-10 years ago and heres what some people had to say on that

Heres a few things people said that stood out for me:

Elysium: Contact Mars or Anoebis (Suntrip) here on psynews. But to be honest even they do not really release old-school (IMO). No one really do anymore. That's why it's called old-school

radi: what is with the old famous labels like trasient records or dragonfly records or Flying Rhino or Phonokol? On suntrip there is only cheesy stuff like filteria and Goasia, only not cheesy artist there is Khetzal and he/they do oldschool.

(Firstly, I wasn't aware that filteria and goasia were cheesy ;) ) but yes, what did happen to those old labels, haven't they been fairly consistently releasing cheesy full on compilations or remixes since the past couple of years, are there any exceptions?

Elysium: I dont know about Transient but I doubt they release anyting these days or did they also go down under?

Dragonfly are very inactive and I doubt they will last much longer and they do not release anything that come close to old-school.

Flying Rhino does not excist anymore (RIP)

Phonokol is a cheesy Full On label but hey they might be your ticket to fame and fortune 

Suntrip is to me a label that try to be "new" in a old-school way. It's just failed so far IMO. Also with Khetzal who I do not consider old-school at all.

IMO it's not about suceeding. It's about that it's very very hard to try and recreate a past. IMO impossible. I really doubt anyone can do that no matter how hard they try.

AmygdalaI'm sorry to be sorta rude, but I think you should forget oldschool. It

From what I can collect, "oldschool" seems to be the most popular choice of psy music on these boards, with the exception of some unique release here and there, and mayhaps Suntrip in the eyes of some.

delars: Offcourse it will never be the same, but at least they are continuing the story that, according to lots of people, should not have stopped around '00.

So then, what does music that is Goa Trance mean Today? Is the music dead, is it still evolving, or did it merge into some form of psytrance and then get completely destroyed by skazi?

What I want to know is what is going to happen to this amazing music. It seems when something new is put forth, everyone expects it to sound like it came out of 1997, the oldies esteem it as not having the energy goa had before, and the newbies see it as copying some older artists and not being original. How much originality are we allowing Goa to have before we completely shut off all horizons and not allow anything to be called goa unless it was produced 5 years ago. The music needs to evolve or else it dies out, and for that people need to be open to it evolving and accept new styles.

You can't exactly blame the labels today for releasing full-on when that is the most popular music in the current generation of psy trancers. Thats what makes them money and thats what most parties are playing.

So the discussion is on what Goa is today, if its dead what do you make of the struggling goa releases and the rather large amateur scene that is still in love with this music and giving it a chance to progress. What do you make of the current trend of psy and how long do you think it will be before it crashes and this music dies down completely or turns into the equivalent of what minimal 120bpm club trance is to progress trance in the late 90s.

Particularly, I'm interested in a number of amateur and unreleased artists out there who clearly are not full-on, and clearly are calling themselves goa.

I for one have been meddling in producing for about a year and a half and I miss the energy I would hear in "oldschool goa", in my own songs I tend to do my own style of modern production but try to maximize the freedom, energy, and trance that you would hear in goa trance, I'd like to call it goa but would people today still call it goa?

If I can sample you two tracks, what do you think of them, or their style? (click to download)

Wizard Magic

Firebloom

And then, what is the opinion on amateurs who are calling themselves goa or newschool goa such as Infinite Dimensions, Alienated Buddha, Lost Budda (who had a release with Suntrip) , Message to Earth, PsyGoa, Halosian, or myself Mindcrawlers - not to mention plenty of other artists who have been released or are at other sites which I won't bother to showcase here... (if you're one of them and reading the list feel free to add yourself :) It would be nice if we could have some sort of list of these guys)

Goa or wanabe goa. I guess it depends on what your definition of goa is and when you started listening to it. The more acute your definition of goa is, the less chance goa is going to get to change and progress itself.

Discuss

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The music needs to evolve or else it dies out, and for that people need to be open to it evolving and accept new styles.

well i agree about evolution, but about aaccepting new styles - i dont think that its much about accepting or denying something just because its new, its imo because of finding yourself in that particular music genre or not :) Edited by reger

No, thats true :) What I meant is to not be turned off by something just because it doesn't sound like your favorite artist right now... alot of the beauty people find in older tracks is simply the feeling they can relate to when they first heard it, but if you're sitting at home on your computer at 1:00AM browsing for new music on DC++ and slightly drunk and you hear a new song for the first time... well needless to say you're not going to have that impression of wonder the first time you heard some other track for the first time.

And theres that whole thing where you've gotta listen to a track a couple of times before it starts to sink in and you fall in love with it... Like when 1200 Mics first came out I thought their music was alright, mediocre at best, and now after a year or so and in comparison to even newer psy/full-on, I tried listening to 1200 mics again and they sounded great, even moreso when compared to other stuff I've been listening to now....Maybe with age things get better?

Either way, I meant that lightly :)

No, thats true :) What I meant is to not be turned off by something just because it doesn't sound like your favorite artist right now... alot of the beauty people find in older tracks is simply the feeling they can relate to when they first heard it, but if you're sitting at home on your computer at 1:00AM browsing for new music on DC++ and slightly drunk and you hear a new song for the first time... well needless to say you're not going to have that impression of wonder the first time you heard some other track for the first time.

And theres that whole thing where you've gotta listen to a track a couple of times before it starts to sink in and you fall in love with it... Like when 1200 Mics first came out I thought their music was alright, mediocre at best, and now after a year or so and in comparison to even newer psy/full-on, I tried listening to 1200 mics again and they sounded great, even moreso when compared to other stuff I've been listening to now....Maybe with age things get better?

Either way, I meant that lightly  :)

421898[/snapback]

oh well, in that case i agree. but it depends on personality - some are open, some not.

as for those producers - are they wannabe or not? well, some of them might be some of them not, you must judge their intentions by music, how fresh, energetic and inspiring does it sounds :), combining all these elements you get the picture of what it is, but theres also human factor - does producer wants to produce because that is deeply inside of him and he wants to go deeper and explore or does he just want to make "that good ol sound"[ie - replicating] which in that case imo will be wannabe, because if you give no fresh input to this music, especially to such a pretty long time ago released one, then this producer might fall under "wannabe" rank/class.

edited typos and added lines to make myself clearer :)

Edited by reger

Ethereal and Ypsilon5 were quite promising.

Lost Buddha too...

but as it seems goa scene stays still in a state of narcosis, more and more.

And then, what is the opinion on amateurs who are calling themselves goa or newschool goa such as Infinite Dimensions, Alienated Buddha, Lost Budda (who had a release with Suntrip) , Message to Earth, PsyGoa, Halosian, or myself Mindcrawlers - not to mention plenty of other artists who have been released or are at other sites which I won't bother to showcase here... (if you're one of them and reading the list feel free to add yourself  It would be nice if we could have some sort of list of these guys)

and, yes music MUST evolve , but also keep in mind that music does NOT have expiration date as well... ;)

btw - firebloom is pretty well done.

imo the bassline could be less audible "distinctive" among other sounds, otherwise it tends to sound boring, not repetitive, but boring, you could make it deeper, you know - more to feel low frequencies rather than "hear" that bassline :). IMO.

edit : M feat ID sounds well too, except that bassline imo lacks a bit of some extra frequencies, low ones perhaps again, no no, im not saying it has to ultra low, just my opinion, the same as previous track :). this what imo could have been called goa trance, eh ppl? and end if imo too sudden, like cutted[sp etc?] off.

edit2 : shit, im gonna keep them for listening, lets see how they work, id definitely play MfeatID if i would be a dj :D!

the first one [firebloom] sounds like psytrance to me. i dont have huge experience tho :)

edit3: i like them both :D!

edit4: with some little variation in 4th pattern [yes, can i say pattern] of bassline it would be even more killargh :)! but i like it alot :)!

edit5 : edit4 is about that goaish track :D! can i give some advice on that bassline :)?

Edited by reger

can i give some advice on that bassline

Sure, comment on mastering, freqs, notes, volume, anything, I'm still very much expiramenting and trying very hard to make things better, though I'm rather quiet about my music until I feel I have something thats really worth showing. Until then, bash my music all you like! ;)

Mindcrawlers has some other tracks you can check out, I'd really appreciate good feedback http://www.beatbiz.net/artist.php?USERID=704 - you can try out adrenaline rush and goa coaster (alot of people liked goa coaster), although they are not 100% goa, adrenaline rush is my take on israeli psytrance from around 2000 and goa coaster is a blend of psytrance, darkpsy and goa as a production showcase for Mindcrawlers.

Sure, comment on mastering, freqs, notes, volume, anything, I'm still very much expiramenting and trying very hard to make things better, though I'm rather quiet about my music until I feel I have something thats really worth showing.

Mindcrawlers has some other tracks you can check out, I'd really appreciate good feedback http://www.beatbiz.net/artist.php?USERID=704 - you can try out adrenaline rush and goa coaster (alot of people liked goa coaster), although they are not 100% goa, adrenaline rush is my take on israeli psytrance from around 2000 and goa coaster is a blend of psytrance, darkpsy and goa as a production showcase for Mindcrawlers.

421939[/snapback]

word ;)

oh, im now downloading your stuff from acidplanet, is it ok? gonna check M too, after acid[its so slow :(]

ok, about bassline IMO, to make little variation in 4th pattern [offcourse if you want to] - ok, so in 4 pattern [or when bassline loops 4th time] when that last long note kicks in, one step after it add one more note like it. i mean - after long note, skip one step [in bassline step sequencers there are 16 steps if im not mistaken, just in case you dont have any to explain] and add one more note, that is identical to the long one, but adding an extra note it will sound better imo, the rhythm will be different in 4th bassline pattern [the 4th one is when that long note (or slided?) gets louder/higher or smthn] :)

edit : like this - BxB

where b is bass note and x is that step :D

Haven't heard new "goa" since 2003 when Intriga, a fellow finn, blowed up the bank with his unrlsd goa tunes. :)

And no, Goa is not dead, if we keep it alive in our hearts.

421945[/snapback]

yes, yees *looks like maniac*

muahahahhahaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Another thread like this without a mention of Torakka?  :huh:

421973[/snapback]

haha, I knew you would say that :)

Anyway, if someone has promos of nice melodic music, don't hesistate to send it please! :) (contact via mail or pm here is also possible)

About the continous new school vs old school discussion, once again our aim is just to release good music we like, with modern production... I agree that our releases are close to the old sound of course, but for instance with the Ka Sol album we'll touch some other territories as well...

Goa trance. Where it stands now?

It's torn to pieces. Now it might be called psychedelic and merged with other musical styles, but overall seen it's like that:

There's a "full-on" part, a "dark psy" part and a "prog psy" part. Somewhat. Yes, I know that is a very rough classification, but if you want to come to the root of the goa-plant of nowadays you must take this approach somewhat. Full-on is liked by the young generation that is new to the sound (if I would be a n00b right now and would not have found this forum here (thank god I found that in the past, otherwise I'd probably have ended up listening to Skazi and Arsetrix and ... :ph34r: )) ... other people like progressive (where I think the age is pretty balanced, young as well as old) or dark ... the advantage of both of those is that you don't get it thrown at your face like Skazi Fullon when you're new to the scene, that is good as new listeners of these styles already have a little of a basic knowledge of what's out there. And then there's the oldschool - and rather the older generations prefer this oldschool sound (exceptions there are several of course, but I'd describe the trend like that), which does not exist anymore today. Yes, you can twist it and turn it and argue, I don't think oldschool exists anymore in a big manner (so that I would count it in as a "part" above) - and there are too few people making efforts in the direction of re-vitalizing it, so it won't reach major audiences soon. Of course there might be labels (Suntrip) and producers and parties ... but it does not qualify to name for we don't have to look at psynews, we have to look at everything in the scene and you might like it or not, oldschool is not represented much.

So far to the state of Goa Trance today.