All facets of trance-music according to me :)

Anoebis

I still think gow is a bad example of new darkpsy since it's totally not dark nor new (here we go again  :P ).... most darkpsy cd's you have posted are not new (only derango) .... some more up tot date examples would fitt better (cosmo,paranoize vs claw,penta,psyfactor,....)

I also don't think that there is something like minimal darkpsy?  That cd' you have posted as example has some sorb, shakta, shift and early nrs tracks on it wich is not darkpsy at all ...

southafrican trance is dark full on not darkpsy :

http://www.psynews.org/forums/index.php?sh...ndpost&p=486285

and I would still name loopus and texas faggott both suomi although loopus is from italy .... but there is a lot of other similar funky disco trance wich is named suomi : haltya/pelinpala tres lost amigos/ puoskari,....

a part from that it looks very accurate and usefull!!!

496230[/snapback]

Cool, more input! :)

I will indeed updates some examples (Mubali), specially of the dark music scene, as it seems alive today, it is still evoluating alot!

About the minimal darkpsy, Kindzadza for instance is for me minimal darkpsy too, altough it is typical Russian :) But I will search a little further, maybe I find a better example somewhere in my collection :)

About the Loopus-cd, there is indeed a very small border... Some suomi sounds the same indeed...

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i think there's an interesting intersection between dark psy and industrial that is not touched but samples are not aplenty.

eitherway nice job anoebis, did you use mind map?

496245[/snapback]

Yep, true... good examples are Schlab 003 and Ghreg On earth is pretty industrial too! :)

and I used mind map indeed :)

ps: if someone has a program to make a real tree, let me know, as we can show the progression of the music like that... What was first etc! :)

Guest Cosmogenesis

I'm really impressed by your classification of the psychedelic trance music, Anoebis! Congratulations for your great work!

But I want to raise objections or make purposes. Maybe I will be totally wrong, and sorry for that.

I want to know where do you classify Dimension 5 genre? They have defined themselves like "space techno psychedelic trance" group. Do you think you can make an other branch called something like "space goa" in which you could include some artists like D5, Hunab-Ku, Ra, Chi-a.d., Hara Gobi? Of course, IMO they all belong to the goatrance genre, but I'm not sure we can include them in the oldschool genre, because albums like "Second Phaze" or "To Sirius" are the examples of a certain evolution of the goatrance genre. Correct me if I'm wrong.

And in which branch do you include the "scientifical" concept project "Electron Wave"? On the experimental goatrance or psychedelic trance, or in an other category?

And finally, I want to ask you if "uplifting" trance would a better denomination of the little pejorative expression "Nitzchonot"?

By the way, in nitzchonot genre, IMO there are different subgenres: psychedelic and goa nitzchonot (like Cyan vs Psychomeditation (Transistance 1) or Luminus), "folkloric" or "ethnic" nitzchonot (the last transistance compilations with an awful synth clarinete without psychedelic elements)

Maybe the folkloric nitzchonot doesn't belong to the psychedelic trance genre?

rah

^

I think MOST dark psy is minimal  ....

I also think that cosmo gami sata is totally not minimal more maximal darkpsy ....

:)

496266[/snapback]

i dunno what style "cosmo - gami sata" is, but damn. its a wicked tune.i just love all the effects. its well put together.

Guest Cosmogenesis

I'm really impressed by your classification of the psychedelic trance music, Anoebis! Congratulations for your great work!

But I want to raise objections or make purposes. Maybe I will be totally wrong, and sorry for that.

I want to know where do you classify Dimension 5 genre? They have defined themselves like "space techno psychedelic trance" group. Do you think you can make an other branch called something like "space goa" in which you could include some artists like D5, Hunab-Ku, Ra, Chi-a.d., Hara Gobi? Of course, IMO they all belong to the goatrance genre, but I'm not sure we can include them in the oldschool genre, because albums like "Second Phaze" or "To Sirius" are the examples of a certain evolution of the goatrance genre. Correct me if I'm wrong.

And in which branch do you include the "scientifical" concept project "Electron Wave"? On the experimental goatrance or psychedelic trance, or in an other category? 

And finally, I want to ask you if "uplifting" trance would a better denomination of the little pejorative expression "Nitzchonot"?

By the way, in nitzchonot genre, IMO there are different subgenres: psychedelic and goa nitzchonot (like Cyan vs Psychomeditation (Transistance 1) or Luminus), "folkloric" or "ethnic" nitzchonot (the last transistance compilations with an awful synth clarinete without psychedelic elements)

496290[/snapback]

And i forgot something: what about Synsun with their "symphonic trance" style? Where would you include it?

rah

^

I also think that cosmo gami sata is totally not minimal more maximal darkpsy ....

496266[/snapback]

perhaps... in that case i might just like the melodic strand of 'dark psy'... penta, naked tourist, ocelot, jellyheadz, para halu, freaking, furious, xenomorph, paranoize, claw, procs, silent horror, derango, kerosene club, etc, etc, etc, i perceive as not minimal... but what i perceive as minimal is mostly lacking some kind of strong melodic theme... and that is what they call night music these days... so i'm just confused and droping the whole issue... we certainly don't need another subdivision :D

rah

^

496266[/snapback]

Its a very broad definition of anything minimal.... hmm I dunno if I can agree ;) I think not!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I think you should include: new ethnic Zimbabwan dark-psy tribal-tek full-on goa-core with folkloric elements and distorted psychedelic penguin sounds

499578[/snapback]

I think I heard this sound coming out of a Tokyo Pachinko Parlour.

;)

569739[/snapback]

Working on your smily use? :)

The nam shub of enkhi is labeled as Breakbeat trance? Sorry, but that whole album has got nothing to do with trance, and i don't get it why it is popular in the psyscene and why people immediately connect it to 'psytrance'... its just idm/drill n bass...

The nam shub of enkhi is labeled as Breakbeat trance? Sorry, but that whole album has got nothing to do with trance, and i don't get it why it is popular in the psyscene and why people immediately connect it to 'psytrance'... its just idm/drill n bass...

572523[/snapback]

didnt you know that everything that shiva trancers like is automatically a psytrance :D?

didnt you know that everything that shiva trancers like is automatically a psytrance :D?

572667[/snapback]

Oh, yes i almost forgot this is a psytrance forum filled with people like that, thanks for the reminder! ;)

• 4 weeks later...

Here you have a list I made for a friend, with the entire psychedelic trance splitted in branches and sub-genres...

if you want to see it without the cd-covers:

http://img329.imageshack.us/my.php?image=g...derfotos2aj.png

401451[/snapback]

I greatly appreciate your efforts here! I've been looking for something like this, taking the Psytrance/Goa genre down to the next level. I have found Ishkur's Guide to Electronic Music a great help, but yours takes it one level deeper than that.

Instead of the CD covers, I'd like to see 2-4 artists that most represent each sub-sub-genre, and maybe a 2-4 tracks that are exactly in that sub-sub-genre.

Thanks for the great work!

Cheers,

BrickTop

If there's Old! australian style then shouldn't there be Old! finnish style too?

..and the full on branch is unnecessary.. it's not psychdelic :P

496371[/snapback]

Old Aussie style and old finnish style are quite similar ! heheh..

you mean such as Shaolin Wooden Men ,Psyko Disko & generally the Psy-Harmonics style sound eh?

Old Austrial style and old finnish style are quite similar ! heheh..

you mean such as Shaolin Wooden Men ,Psyko Disko & generally the Psy-Harmonics style sound eh?

588912[/snapback]

As I am back from holidays now I will update this thingie pretty soon... and I will add some extra branches, as it was far from complete, I will make another version as well with group names and titles instead of cd covers

I personally would think it'd be more helpful if it was more time-centered in the layout and without "new" and "old" branches... But that'd be a completely different project. Maybe someone with great knowledge about psytrance should list like the 50 or 25 best albums, and then sort out the relationship between these albums with simple lines.

But as I said, that really doesn't belong here :)

496290[/snapback]

In fact, yes, Nitzhonot music can be divided into two sub-categcories.

First of al, we have the real old Nitzhonot stuff, the music that invaded the clubs in Israel during 1998 and 1999 and dried out after this period. Think of guys like Syntezia aka Stargate, Iceman, the first two Cyan albums, Holymen, Eyal Barkan & Oren Barkan aka Reverse Psychology, D-Zager, Syndrome, old Astrix, Luminus, Kintaro,...

Before Nitzhonot died entirely in 2000, it managed to escape to Greece, where it saw a new birth under the name of 'Uplifting'. This music stands further from Goa Trance than Nitzhonot, as the oriental melodies fall away completely. A typical Uplifting track contains heroic, epic, over-the-top-cheezy- melodies that are often linked with ancient Greek myths (that's why people often refer to it as the 'Hellenistic style'), a fat pulsating laser-bass and apart from that, not much (: ...

Heroes in this scene are Darma, Lennox, Star Children, Zodiac, Oxydow, x-Men, Dementia, Zillion, Mendark...

But it seems that, although Uplifting staid steady until 2004, this music is disappearing too. In 2005, the last official compilation came out under the name of Transistance 11, and it was only a mediocre success. Uplifting still gets some attention in Athens and in Bulgaria, but the scene mainly has gone "underground", ore "dead". Cyan quit the scene in 2003 after a last album, for example.

I hope this information will be added, because not much people seem to know the Uplifting scene.

Guest Cosmogenesis

In fact, yes, Nitzhonot music can be divided into two sub-categcories.

First of al, we have the real old Nitzhonot stuff, the music that invaded the clubs in Israel during 1998 and 1999 and dried out after this period. Think of guys like Syntezia aka Stargate, Iceman, the first two Cyan albums, Holymen, Eyal Barkan & Oren Barkan aka Reverse Psychology, D-Zager, Syndrome, old Astrix, Luminus, Kintaro,...

Before Nitzhonot died entirely in 2000, it managed to escape to Greece, where it saw a new birth under the name of 'Uplifting'. This music stands further from Goa Trance than Nitzhonot, as the oriental melodies fall away completely. A typical Uplifting track contains heroic, epic, over-the-top-cheezy- melodies that are often linked with ancient Greek myths (that's why people often refer to it as the 'Hellenistic style'), a fat pulsating laser-bass and apart from that, not much (: ...

Heroes in this scene are Darma, Lennox, Star Children, Zodiac, Oxydow, x-Men, Dementia, Zillion, Mendark...

But it seems that, although Uplifting staid steady until 2004, this music is disappearing too. In 2005, the last official compilation came out under the name of Transistance 11, and it was only a mediocre success. Uplifting still gets some attention in Athens and in Bulgaria, but the scene mainly has gone "underground", ore "dead". Cyan quit the scene in 2003 after a last album, for example.

I hope this information will be added, because not much people seem to know the Uplifting scene.

588965[/snapback]

Very good and clear explanations about the nitzchonot genre, man. I completely agree with you :)

I hope it will help this actual uncompleted but great classification of the psychedelic trance music, presented in this topic. :)