Derango – TuMuLT

DeathPosture

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey EA!

I can't get into this album either, for the reasons others have stated - it's just too pedal-to-the-metal...

Hey is that Ka-Sol album more listenable though?  I've never really liked Ka-Sol though, cept for that "Iris" track...

608981[/snapback]

Hey brotha! :)

Well I think it's much more listenable, but I would've thought you'd like Derango more because it has lots of crazy Hux Flux sounds in there. Anyway, I doubt you'd like the Ka-Sol album much if you're not interested in pedal-to-the-metal. Honestly.

• 3 months later...

Overrated.

Lacks melodies and WOW moments. It all gets tiresome after a while, like one harsh continuous track. Tracks like Poisenous Square generally have more ingenuity and character going on, more substance. Other tracks fail to arrest my attention and I get bored of all the psy-sounds piled up on top of each other with rarely ANY stand out moments and memorable melodies.

And I don't feel like arguing with the die-hard Derango fans out there who swear this is one of the best psytrance albums ever. These are my feelings and you're entitled to yours.

Hopefully a follow-up will make some significant improvments on certain things, intruduce some real AWESOME melodies (!!) (or ANY REAL MELODIES AT ALL!!) and captivate an even wider audience with some real dance floor killers than do not go full on obviously and don't sound as noisy and uneventful as some of the VERY trippy and psychedelic [but not much more] songs here.

i gave this one the mdma test not too long ago and to my surprise it passed with flying colours, unlike most of the dark and twisted genre...in my twisted book of twisted meanings that makes this twisted music, even better in a twisted way, without having to twist anything on itself... which... is, kind of twisted.

Did u try an acid test...... :wacko:

it kinda digged out something I never knew was there in the first place..... cracked open my skull, and I was captured by the two wizards in the tent!!!

Did u try an acid test...... :wacko:

it kind digged out something I never knew was there in the first place..... cracked open my skull, and I was captured by the two wizards in the tent!!!

hmm... no, ask me again this summer :)

And I don't feel like arguing with the die-hard Derango fans out there who swear this is one of the best psytrance albums ever. These are my feelings and you're entitled to yours.

Hopefully a follow-up will make some significant improvments on certain things, intruduce some real AWESOME melodies (!!) (or ANY REAL MELODIES AT ALL!!) and captivate an even wider audience with some real dance floor killers than do not go full on obviously and don't sound as noisy and uneventful as some of the VERY trippy and psychedelic [but not much more] songs here.

heh you say VERY trippy & psychedelic (but not much more)... What more you need??? :D :D

heh you say VERY trippy & psychedelic (but not much more)... What more you need??? :D :D

Melodies. ;)

Overrated.

Lacks melodies and WOW moments. It all gets tiresome after a while, like one harsh continuous track. Tracks like Poisenous Square generally have more ingenuity and character going on, more substance. Other tracks fail to arrest my attention and I get bored of all the psy-sounds piled up on top of each other with rarely ANY stand out moments and memorable melodies.

You know there are days I feel exactly the same that there are no wow moments and Derango could have easily done a way better job if he'd decreased the psychedelic madness with all the array of sounds and relentless boom boom a little and gone higher on the melodic quotient. And then there are days when i feel OH MY GOD how did he manage to incorporate all those sounds into one mindfuck of a melting pot. To me this album is more about the setting and the state of mind you are in than anything else, if you get my drift ;)

Strange thing this psychedelic music is :)

Back in June 06, I got to see Jens and Ola down by LA, along with Alien Mental, Polyphonia, Horror Place, and Fractal Cowboys as well as others... Was going to be a bigger party but apparently it didnt work out that way. Still, the promoters did their damnedest!

I wanted to give it the acid test as was mentioned, although it happened that the acid came by near the end of their set. They played a dawn set starting in the dark moving to the sunrise... Wonderful to see them do their thing. The acid started to kick in right as Derango was transitioning to Fractal Cowboys (who pass the acid test with an A++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++!!!!!). I ended up in the tent completely out of myself. I couldnt even MOVE, the music was so trippy!

danced longer that party than ever before. Looking back its defintely the best party Ive been to, best lineup IMO (I know the majority of psynews is averse to dark), most fun yet. This year, SoulSync 2, this time its gonna be a 2 nighter for sure!! Whoo hoo! 2007 will be a great year.

Back in June 06, I got to see Jens and Ola down by LA, along with Alien Mental, Polyphonia, Horror Place, and Fractal Cowboys as well as others... Was going to be a bigger party but apparently it didnt work out that way. Still, the promoters did their damnedest!

I wanted to give it the acid test as was mentioned, although it happened that the acid came by near the end of their set. They played a dawn set starting in the dark moving to the sunrise... Wonderful to see them do their thing. The acid started to kick in right as Derango was transitioning to Fractal Cowboys (who pass the acid test with an A++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++!!!!!). I ended up in the tent completely out of myself. I couldnt even MOVE, the music was so trippy!

danced longer that party than ever before. Looking back its defintely the best party Ive been to, best lineup IMO (I know the majority of psynews is averse to dark), most fun yet. This year, SoulSync 2, this time its gonna be a 2 nighter for sure!! Whoo hoo! 2007 will be a great year.

Sounds like a freak'in good party! Omg Fractal boys and then Derango... Im drooling on my books (which r in front of me) and on acid!

But its amazing how the music really gets inside the head, seems like the meshwork of sounds really work together to enhance the psychedelic experience! I will say this again but I have never tried any music that does this the same way as Derango!!!

Its just a perfect mind-fuck! :)

Why is this so popular? Why are people still commenting about this so long after release? Clearly this album represents something about psytrance that make people sit up and take notice. I'm glad then, to see similar dissenting opinions about this album, because I can't find anything about it that makes me want to keep listening to it.

I'll be honest: I haven't heard it all the way through. I have real trouble finishing one track, let alone the whole thing. I _have_ to keep skipping through tracks lest I fall asleep, and all the time, all I can hear is: one note basslines, generic 4/4 psy kick drum sound, crazy dark wooshy sound effects... and that's it.

Now, I guess if you're stoned off your arse, this may have some sort of effect on you - and perhaps it'd make for one hell of a trip. But I'm sitting here asking myself, what do I make of this music? What does it do for me? Nothing. It bores me to fucking tears. Makes me want to put on (for the millionth time :)) IFO, Twisted, Shout Aluma or Sky Input just to hear some fucking VARIATION and MELODIES.

I promise not to rant any further about this - Derango, and this dark/"forest trance" style clearly has their fans, and I've no wish to deny anyone music they enjoy, but I just cannot find anything to like in this, and the sheer volume of mentions this album gets forced me to comment. I'll finish by saying: thank christ/god/jah/(insert your favourite deity here) for Suntrip.

Edit: However, as a non-darkpsy fan, I did find CPC - Double Bouble had its moments. Certainly a lot more going on than Tumult.

I love this and am so bummed out that all the copies are sold out everywhere. Derango blows my mind hundreds of times, superior production to anything I've heard and really aggressive psychedelica. I really pick up alot of heavy metal vibes and subtleties in their music coupled with amazing effects.

Chis the crazy wooshings you actually here are actually melodies, all very melodic and unique. The first step is realizing they are the leads ^^. I've never heard an artist be able to compose melodies out of effects, or effects out of melodies, and all thrown together so naturally and perfectly.

Its odd how this has such a varried response, its just one of those things, you either have an ear for it or you don't - it goes down to just taste :)

Chis the crazy wooshings you actually here are actually melodies, all very melodic and unique. The first step is realizing they are the leads ^^. I've never heard an artist be able to compose melodies out of effects, or effects out of melodies, and all thrown together so naturally and perfectly.

Amen. Couldnt have said it better myself ;)

Chis the crazy wooshings you actually here are actually melodies, all very melodic and unique.

Nope, can't hear any leads anywhere on this album. Just incessant, dumb, one-note basslines and those silly sound effects. Utter rubbish. Come on Synogen, your own music is so far superior to this!

Nope, can't hear any leads anywhere on this album. Just incessant, dumb, one-note basslines and those silly sound effects. Utter rubbish. Come on Synogen, your own music is so far superior to this!

Weird. If you listen to The Poisonous Square & tell me you can hear no leads/melodies then I am at a loss of words...

And it's not the only track, all over the album there are melodic elements. Anyways, each to his own perception of music I guess...

Weird. If you listen to The Poisonous Square & tell me you can hear no leads/melodies then I am at a loss of words...

And it's not the only track, all over the album there are melodic elements. Anyways, each to his own perception of music I guess...

Listen to the man ;)

Its all about getting into it and understanding it and yes liking it... but one-note bassline statement shows u have'nt understood it :P But not liking it is your Privilege :)

But I totally disagree with u! I think it very complex and very well crafted music! But its not easy accessible, and that can be a problem for some!

But anyhow if u dont like it just leave it be :)

very good stuff,

I took me one year to appreciate it, never liked derango that much,

saw them live once what was more subtle and minimal comparing to 'tumult" and I liked it,

now the album scores too,

very intilligent and variated music,

good kick, the bass line is motivating but totally not the most important what reminds me of old skool trance who has the same mark...

I can't stop finding something new in this release. One of the most atmospheric and intelligent albums ever!

Oh yes. Course. Silly me. Yes, I can hear some warbly acid lead come in.... after FIVE MINUTES of yet more stupid sound effects. God this stuff makes me want to punch someone. :blink:

What I will say, now, is that Tumult has been beaten in the "dumb basslines + sound effect trance" arena, by "Heaven's Gonna Burn Your Eyes" by Isentropic. Which is even worse.

Come on Suntrip, hurry up with Twist Dreams!

Edit: So I'm trying to force my way through this thing again, but still the same problems just piss me off. Sure, the bassline note changes every so often, but it's still the same 16th note full-on "same note" bassline in practically every song. I just don't understand how anyone can enjoy this stuff, unless they're mashed on hash. Perhaps.

well if it makes you so uncomfortable to listen to it, why do you listen to it?

I would recommend anyone serious about discovering something new, to listen to this album, and listen WITHOUT EXPECTATION. As if you had never heard anything remotely close ever.

Its not Derango's fault if you dont liek it. And your dislike does not make it truth!

If you cant listen to it without thinking, "This isnt like this other song" or something like that give Derango the professional courtesy of NOT listening to their stuff, and basically ignore it.

"It hurts when I do this!!" Well I think you know what the Doc would say.

. I just don't understand how anyone can enjoy this stuff, unless they're mashed on hash. Perhaps.

YOU Cant understand. ok. Well. Results speak for themselves. When I saw Derango the dancefloor was mroe packed than at any time in the night. Thats no measure, though, as you know theres a ton of wankers out there who will dance to anything. Tumult has sold quite a few copies. Also no measure of how good an act is.

But Derango has presented something new. If you cant hear that maybe you should (Seriously) get your hearing checked. If "stupid" sound fx get so on your nerves what are you doing listening to psytrance? I could say that theres pretty much NO psytrance which is actually psychedelic, that has no sound fx.

This one will be forever in my heart! Lovely, strange, and (unless you have hearing deficiencies) wierdly melodic.