About the reviews...

cangrejo

What I don't like about reviews is that  :) they are not objective... for example, I feel synthetic touch in some of the reviews of guys that get free promo CDs... it's like they receive a free CD so they have to make a positive review (or not a bashing one) so they will keep receiving CDs and are such nice guys...  <_<

Yeah it almost feels like some people have a preformatted word document that they add words (like artist name) to. Reviewing just because it enables you to get more freebies is lame..

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

for example, I feel synthetic touch in some of the reviews of guys that get free promo CDs... it's like they receive a free CD so they have to make a positive review (or not a bashing one) so they will keep receiving CDs and are such nice guys...  <_<

Hello people

Interesting discussion. But it seems like you are blaming all the guys who get free promos for licking labels ass....:)

Well, I always write my honest opinion, even when I receive a promo now and then... And to you people who think I receive most releases as promos are wrong. I spend way too much money on psyshop etc.

Anyway, I receive some, and here is an example of a CD I got as promo:

http://www.trance.net/article/articleview/564/

Now, hit me...:)

PKS

i totally aggree with Astro Cortex

- i would not consider reviewing a release that i'm not interested in. i don't belive in the "let's f4k this artist" way of reviewing. all the reviews i do are for promotional reasons (very few and short cause i don't have time to extend this field of interest) .

- i think a negative review should be done in the situation when an artist releases a new album and you find it below your expectations, disapointing.

i'd rather see positive (more or less) reviews instead of negative ones, cause:

- anyone reviewing on the idea "oh, his/her previous release was so much better" kinda looses credibility in my eyes. i don't consider this as an objective way of seeing things. each release is a creation on its own and should be evaluated at its self-standing value, for what it is, and not for the artist's whole career.

- i am totally against bashing reviews like "X artist sucks and cannot make music. Y is so much better than X." negative reviews tend to make it look as if the reviewer has something personal against the artist. 0 credibility here.

- negative reviews are sometimes a matter of personal taste, and that lacks credibility. sure, tell me an album sucks, i'll go check some samples, but don't give me a long-ass review. i'm not gonna read it.

:)

- negative reviews are sometimes a matter of personal taste, and that lacks credibility

359567[/snapback]

One could say the exact same about positive reviews ;)

Btw no one said anything about bashing an artists. If a negative review is done in polite and objective way and done just as "professional" then I dont see why a negative review are any different or less justifiable from a positive review.

i did. riiight up there in my post.

trust me, i know what i'm talking about.

359590[/snapback]

So if I did a review that was objective and polite but still negative that would be wrong because of what reason? I dont see your point and yes I disagree with you ;)

So if I did a review that was objective and polite but still negative that would be wrong because of what reason?  I dont see your point and yes I disagree with you ;)

359592[/snapback]

TRUST HER. :ph34r:

:P

what part of my post didn't you understand?

stick to my post.

359595[/snapback]

Now now I did not say i did not understand your post and I do indeed "stick" to your post! I just dont agree at all with you and I dont understand why you think it's wrong to make a negative review unless you want to close your eyes to the fact that some CD's can be boring and bad (according to the reviwers taste of course). Negative reviews are just as informative as positive reviews. In my opinion of course and negative reviews are just as much about taste as positive reviews ;)

Edited by Kris

Ok here's what I think about the reviews. First of all, everyone has their own taste of music and that can't be helped so I don't really care about it.

Second of all. I've never seen a review get less than 8/10. I guess this is partly because I haven't read all of the reviews, but most of all since everyone is reviewing their favourite artists/labels.

That being said:

Discuss (so what if it's been brought up before, just discuss anyway)

359348[/snapback]

Write down ONE review bozo and we'll discuss... <_<:ph34r::angry:

I just dont agree at all with you and I dont understand why you think it's wrong to make a negative review.

359604[/snapback]

did i say it's wrong to make a negative review?

i didn't say "stick to my post" for nothing.

Hmm.

I didnt bother to read more than the intial post, so if something`s already been addressed, I couldn´t care less.

Because everybody reviews their favorite music. Of course? Why would I spend what little money I nowadayz have on music that I wouldn´t like? Should I buy a Alien project record just so I can tell that I didn`t like it, giving it an "honest" low score, only to be contradicted by the next oncoming tubester who happens to like the record, which one of us is more "honest" , If you find objective reviews somewhere on the web, please shoot us the url... I really wanna check them out.

How about you taking the time to google the album in question, I`m sure you will find multiple reviews for it

It almost feels like some people have a preformatted word document that they add words (like artist name) to. Reviewing just because it enables you to get more freebies is lame..

359557[/snapback]

Sounds like you consider reviewing a competition :)

I do have a preformatted word-document, and honestly it enables me to write much better reviews. Using the same format for every review makes it a lot easier for the reader - if doesn't want to read the whole review, he can skip to the parts about the separate tracks, or just the conclusion or the grade.

And concerning freebies - promos are certainly a nice bonus (I guess you weren't complaining when Twisted sent you promos?), but the time I spend writing a review, I could instead spend working and buying at least buy a couple of CD's instead.

And concerning freebies - promos are certainly a nice bonus (I guess you weren't complaining when Twisted sent you promos?), but the time I spend writing a review, I could instead spend working and buying at least buy a couple of CD's instead.

359896[/snapback]

ditto especially, since i translate legal documents as part-time job... ;)

Guest Le Lotus Bleu

I used to be a quite active reviewer, largely less nowadays but still alive :).

i've experienced a strange thing: i'm french, if i write something critical but argued about a foreign artist, he won't tell anything or even he could admitt it's quite constructive.

But each times i wrote something not completly positive whithout any ambiguties about a french artist or label, i always receive pages of insults or a childhish simulacre of dialogue through PM :lol:

Otherwise i agree with those who don't like leechers reviewers pros like Guy Cohen or 2-3 newcomers ones, DP enters too sometimes this category by moment like with the last Parvati comp or the Megalops's album reviews for example.

Personally i try to support an artist or a label if they deserve, so i'm uniquely based on quality & on not promo interest quantity or kind of friendship biases.

And if a label changes his musical orientation toward more commercial, overground or easy listening matters i don't hesitate to stop the contact, & i don't keep going reviewing their stuff even if they have released 1 or 2 masterpieces like someones.

DP enters too sometimes this category by moment like with the last Parvati comp or the Megalops's album reviews for example.

360007[/snapback]

Here we go again... It's about taste dammit - it's not my problem, that we don't like the same stuff... Psy Stories is the best thing Parvati has ever released - and the Megalopsy album was an unpredecented concept album... All in my opinion!

So please shut the fuck up with your pointless allegations unless you actually have something constructive to contribute with!

Uh, guys, what is the template for?  :huh:  is this like psytrance madlibs?

360012[/snapback]

Hehe... Nah - mine is just a templete with tracklist/cat-numbers/links, etc... I think Profane's is too...

/DP

Otherwise i agree with those who don't like leechers reviewers pros like Guy Cohen or 2-3 newcomers ones,

360007[/snapback]

i guess one or two of those new commers would me... well i have reviewed well over 30-35 releases since the beginning of the year and if i got more more than 6... or 7 freebies that was probably too much... i write reviews so i can share what i personally consider good music with other people... and i have no problem writing bad reviews, several labels don't speak to me anymore for that reason...

i am not really sure if that is what you were implying since, to be honest, i don't really understand what you are saying half the times...