Posted Image

Artist: Beat Bizarre

Title: Somersault Industries

Label: Iboga

Format: CD

Style: Progressive psytrance

Released: March 2005

Review:

The Danish duo Beat Bizarre has been a part of Iboga almost since day one. They where featured on the second compilation from the Iboga lab, and their debut album "Lewd", which is widely acclaimed as one of the best minimal albums from that period, was the 2nd full-lenght album released on Iboga - So it was no surprise that their 3rd album "Somersault Industries" would also be released on the biggest Danish label at the moment. My expectations where quite mixed though – I found the latest Beat Bizarre album "Pandoras Groove Box" quite disappointing, but on the other hand, their track "Content May Differ" on "Playground" was a very positive surprise.

With that in mind, I listened to the CD with an open mind, and here’s my impression:

1. Milktooth

"Milktooth" opens the album without many surprises. It has a short intro, and develops into a nice progressive track, somewhere on the borderline between music for the nighttime and the morning. Quite tough and metallic in feel, but without getting really dark and haunting - good atmosphere, and a safe track for an opener.

2. Content May Differ

Next up is "Content May Differ", which in my opinion was the best Beat Bizarre track since their contribution to the "Cross Link" compilation, when it came out as one of the highlights on "Playground" last December. A very nice, laidback track with a deep atmosphere and subtle teasing melodies to keep the attention focused – still very fresh.

3. Stereorganic

"Stereorganic" starts out nicely with a deep sub-bass, and the overall layout and atmosphere is pretty good. What annoys me though, is that it sounds like they’ve used sliced voice-samples as for some of the melodies, and to me it was more distracting than adding to the track. Nice try, but unfortunately didn’t really connect to it.

4. A´Quatet

"A´Quatet" is the 2nd of two weak tracks in succession on the album, this time based on some quite hollow sounds and a generally not too deep sound. The build-up and general flow is good, and thumbs up for the old video-game feeling - but in my opinion the track simply lacks punch. One of two tracks from the album I’ll skip in the future.

5. Ding Dong Dynamo

"Ding Dong Dynamo" starts out with tight sounds over a very funky groove, but slowly builds up, adding layers of teasing melodies, subtle percussion and metallic effects. The groove stays the same throughout the track, never catching a really big climax, but relentlessly keeping the legs moving and getting deeper and deeper. Wonderful track - bouncy, yet with a quite gloomy atmosphere.

6. Snowflake Shake

They continue with the corny track names with "Snowflake Shake", starting quite minimal and slowly evolving, adding more and more percussion along the way. The sound is quite tight throughout the track, perhaps I could have liked if it was even deeper, but the percussion-work is great and the stabs are good and lift the track nicely.

7. Analogical

And next up is another of my personal highlights, "Analogical", definitely the most energetic and uplifting track here. Centered around retro-like synths and with some lovely melodies to die for, this track is definitely the biggest dance floor stomper on the album.

8. 2 Lame 2 Blame

"2 lame 2 Blame" marks the closure of the album, and it seems like they’ve saved the best for last. The atmosphere and wooden percussion is perfect for the deep forest, very comparable to the Frogacult album, although not quite as melodic. Brilliant finish.

Bottom line:

"Somersault Industries" is definitely a good, sharp album, but not quite up on the same exceptional level of the latest albums released on Iboga. Where I especially think it pales a bit compared to for instance Frogacult, is in musical content – of course the sound is top-notch, but some of the tracks simply don’t rise over the good production and a nice groove. That was even more the case on "Pandoras Groove Box" though, so the new album is certainly an improvement in my ears, and especially on the last 4 tracks it gets funkier and funkier.

All in all a solid release, mixing elements from the old minimal sound of "Lewd" with a more mellow progressive sound of today; constantly around the borderline of music for the night and day – never really dark, but never really uplifting either. Worth checking out, but also needed some thorough listens before I really started to appreciate it.

Favourites:

2, 5 (!!), 7 (!!), 8 (!!)

Verdict:

7/10

Link:

Iboga Records: http://www.iboga.dk

im not excited for this one.. not even too curious... After the ´pandora´s...´ cd, I was too dissapointed to wait for something really good from them..

there are some other prog releases which are enticing my curiosity for this year.. like new phony orphants, new antix (!!), new vibrasphere (!!), new ticon (!!), and new jaia (!!)

new jaia (!!)

229189[/snapback]

defintily this one :) ...

I reviewed the second album of beat bizarre and it's was very different comparing to their fist ablum but It didn't dissapoint me that much so this one still draws my attention ;)

im not excited for this one.. not even too curious...  After the ´pandora´s...´ cd, I was too dissapointed to wait for something really good from them..

there are some other prog releases which are enticing my curiosity for this year.. like new phony orphants, new antix (!!), new vibrasphere (!!), new ticon (!!), and new jaia (!!)

229189[/snapback]

I wasn't too excited about this one either, but it proved to be a positive surprise though.

Very excited by the upcoming releases you mention by the way - also add the upcoming 2 Digiboga compilations, and everything is set up for a good year. Luckily it looks like 2005 is going to be as good as year for progressive as 2004 :)

• 2 weeks later...

One of my alltime favorite groups, Beat Bizarre, has released a new album after just one year. That was surprisingly fast, considering how much time was between their first, Lewd, and their second, Pandoras Groove Box. Lewd is an absolute classic, everyone agrees with that, but Pandoras Groove Box was met with a lot of criticism. I didnt like it at first, then it grew on me and I had it playing all the time, but now looking back there are only two or three tracks on the same level as Lewd. Maybe that was the reason that the two members, Martin and Rene decided to split and make four tracks each for Somersault Industries, who knows.

Anyways, the decision was a good one because Somersault Industries is better than Pandoras Groove Box. Not because there are bigger "hits" here, like I said the tracks on Pandora that were good were exceptionally good, but because there are no fillers here except the first track. Beat Bizarre is always at its best when they create dense pulsating atmospheres that keep pushing further and further. I like to call it the "tunnel vision effect", and no one does it like Beat Bizarre. Usually you find yourseld bumping along gentle with the opening grooves, and then something happens that completely sucks you into a vortex. BB's use of trippy dark samples to make structures and grooves is unparalelled, and usually they create just the right percussion to enhance the effect. What I like about their style, as opposed to most overladden psychedelic music such as fullon, is that the listeners mind has enough space to fill in the gaps, the "melodies", or pseudo melodies you might call them, are created in your head and are highly subjective. To some it might be a random assortment of sounds, to me it sounds like Mozart

Another thing about Beat Bizarre that is exceptional is that they almost sound better at a low volume, or to be more exact, when you listen to it low their tracks have a completely different and new dimension. For example track 3, Stereoorganic, played loud is a grooving body moving monster with everything that goes along with that, but play it low and its almost meditative chillout. When surfing the net or doing something at night while playing the track at a low volume it completely sucks me in and puts me into a state of trance, it works on such a subconscious level, a feeling thats very hard to describe. Other BB tracks work the same way, not just from Somersault Industries, but in general. Its like when you buy this CD you get 2 for 1, the loud party version and the low meditative chillout version.

The cool thing about Somersault Industries is that there are some pure "tunnelvision" tracks, while there are some that combine the tunnelvision with something else. Im gonna walk you through the tracks now starting with:

1) Milk Tooth- The only bad track, pretty boring and unevolved, a bad start.

2) Content May Differ- "tunnelvision light", you might call it, because it has that typical BB style I was talking about, however it has a lighter loftier atmosphere, no melodies, though. Very good for the morning, also very good at low volume for the meditative version. A real winner.

3) Stereoorganic - as mentioned above a real groover with a heavy as fuck subbass and trippy atmosphere, especially the chopped up voice samples profane dislikes, but I love them, aided by the driving percussion this makes for the most "typical" BB track. I cant stop listening to this track, its like a journey into the heart of darkness. Cool! On a sidenote: All you nighttime fullon killlllarggghhhh lovers, this is what real nighttime music should sound like, its more psychedelic and trippier than anything psychotic micro and Skazi will ever produce.

4) A'quatet- A happy groove, videogame atmospheres, i thought it was kinda annoying at first, but its not. A perfect morning outdoor tune that takes some time to take off, but when it does it really plays with your head with some cool morphing crunchy sounds.

5)Ding Dong Dynamo - slow and bouncing, seems boring at first but then it really gets you, the percussion rises and sounds are added. still a happy atmosphere between all the haunting sounds, also very good at a low volume.

6) Snowflake Shake - The perfect fusion between BB style and the current Plusquam style progressive psy sound. A groovy as fuck bassline, housey stabs, but then watch it take off after 6 minutes. Where a lot of the current prog psy goes nowhere, watch this baby take off to higher spheres. Driving percussion, quirky analogue sound, WOW!!!

7)Analogical - The tunnel meets old skool analogue sounds, a real psychedelic upbeat party smasher, with cool little melodies and trippy sounds. Somewhat like Pop the question, but a lot more upbeat. This will have a lot of hands in the air and people stomping. Probably the most upbeat track BB has done so far, and I like it.

8)2 lame 2 blame - At the end we get another slow groover, and what a groover it is. Lots of pad-like sounds, used with great skill and restraint to create haunting atmospheres. A cool groove and percussion that keeps building, a very unique track but still very BB. Works also really great at low volume.

So, in my opinion a must-buy, but you might have noticed i really like BB. If its as good as Lewd I dont know, only time will tell, but its a great CD that has them venturing into new areas. My fave tracks are 3(!!!),6(!!),7(!!),8(!) and 2, Im not gonna give a grade, i feel those dont do music any justice. The cover is cool as hell, too, it really fits the music well. BUY IT!

• 2 weeks later...

Beat Bizarre – Somersault Industries

Posted Image

Artist: Beat Bizarre (Denmark)

Title: Somersault Industries

Format: CD (jewel case)

Label: Iboga Records (Denmark)

Cat. #: IBOGACD29

Date: 18 March 2005

Track listing:

01. 08’58” Milk Tooth

02. 09’21” Content May Differ

03. 08’59” Stereorganic

04. 08’59” A’quatet

05. 07’54” Ding Dong Dynamo

06. 09’12” Snowflake Shake

07. 09’02” Analogical

08. 08’58” 2 Lame 2 Blame

Review:

Flip Flop Incorporated...

This is an impressive 29th CD-release by proggy Danish progressive front-runner label Iboga Records… Martin Spanner Zimmermann and René Gundel Nielsen from Copenhagen, Denmark are Iboga regulars and have been in the game for years. Their debut album Lewd was a progressive milestone, whilst their second album Pandoras Groove Box was more introvert and harder to get into... It was a really demanding album on the listener and personally it took me quite some time to fully appreciate… But both albums are great in their own way, so I’m really looking forward to dig deeper into this their third instalment…

Let me take you thru the tracks…

#01: Milk Tooth

This album is special in the sense that the two members have made four tracks each – and this one is the first by René… After a subtle intro we’re soon launched into a steady progressive rhythm section… This track bears the proggy BB-trademark with its deep groovy nerve… It never goes 100% full-blown so it would work best in the opening stages of a progressive set…

#02: Content May Differ

This is a track done by Martin, and was already released on the 2004 Iboga compilation Playground… Ahh – this is everything I love about progressive trance… Ultra funky, rich progressive psy-trance with sharp, crisp percussion… The pointy hisses, the organic pads and the subtle melodies all help create a perfect groove… I really like the groovy break that almost reaches Aes Dana heights… Stellar track!

#03: Stereorganic

“You are a most unusual traveller my friend… Come!” Half a nano-second into this track we’re exposed to a raw, distorted, pounding bassline… Shortly after we’re in full effect and here Martin intelligently twirls cut-up voice samples into the basic track composition… Usually a cause for irritation, but it’s so nicely done here that I actually think it enhances the track… But I could’ve been without some of the static here – it kinda annoys me and dents the image of an otherwise perfect track…

#04: A’quatet

Second track by René… The sound is much cleaner now and the pace has quickened – yeah all the obvious signs of a morning tune are present… It’s a very joyous and I feel like a real winner whenever I hear the familiar power-up-bonus-video-game sample… Listen to this track and you’re self-esteem will skyrocket! ;o) The second half of the track is the best with its tribal stomping and sexy Asian women moaning…A stripped down version of a Saiko-Pod was my immediate association…The track in its entirety though, lacks some of the progressive depth that BB has taught us to expect… Not a bad track, but nothing special either…

#05: Ding Dong Dynamo

Ding dong dynamo light! There is a certain slow, held-back style to this track… Composed by René, it’s a charming little track… Great use of percussion and funny little stair-climbing synth FX… Again the break is very thrilling – and immediately rewarding… Despite the fact that the track never really goes anywhere monumental, this is still a nice, driving track – without being revolutionary!

#06: Snowflake Shake

This last track by René stars out much more stripped down – reminiscent of the old BB sound from the minimal Lewd-era… The beat is downright mean and repetitive – but slowly more FX are added bringing us up to speed – and ultimately the track morphs into a deep, tribal progressive fiesta… Nice track for sure!

#07: Analogical

Pump up the BPM Martin… Yesthankyouverymuch! …Now this is right up my alley! After a cold, wintery intro we’re getting a taste of what wonders BB can work on the trancefloor… Super-crisp, dancefloor friendly progressive – mixed with phat old-school synths… Analogue mind you – as the title suggests! Rich progressive beats meets old-school psychedelic twirls – fuck me, this is a brilliant track! Awesome!

#08: 2 Lame 2 Blame

LoL-0MfG-\/\/tF!? Lame name indeed here on Martin’s last track… Again this is a typical BB track with its held-back groove bubbling just under the surface… I dig the mix of metallic and acoustic percussion here… There are some really beautiful long pads here – that creates a stunning backdrop for the overall groovy, tribal atmosphere… What a nice way to finish this album… ;o)

As have been pointed out by previous reviewers, this album is a somewhere between Lewd and Pandoras Groove Box – obviously leaning towards the latter with today’s modern production skills… Lewd is still my fav’e BB album, but this comes in as a close second now… The production is flawless and despite the distinct BB style, we still get quite a lot of variation within the progressive range… And that’s a good thing! I see this as a very mature album and as a positive indication of the very interesting path René & Martin have chosen to take… Their talent is indisputable and I really respect producers that are constantly evolving – and evolving in their own unique direction… Well done!

Beat Bizarre fans will certainly enjoy this, as will fans of deep, groovy modern progressive trance… It works great at home, and DJs will find many useful choons here too… And I’m sure it will appeal to the most open-minded fans in crossover land too… Check it out – I’m digging it! Enjoy!

Favourites: 1, 2(!!), 6, 7(!!!), 8

DeathPosture

Posted Image

External links:

Iboga: http://tinyurl.com/9gjkx

Psyshop: http://tinyurl.com/7gv46

Saiko Sounds: http://tinyurl.com/dn69d

Conzzept: http://tinyurl.com/ccdvs

Chaos: http://tinyurl.com/ak7rw

Trance Shop: http://tinyurl.com/79ryk

Wirikuta: http://tinyurl.com/arhzo

• 2 weeks later...

Beat Bizarre have their unique style, technoish and repetitive. Pandora's groove box already was unique, and I liked it contrary to a lot of people here, and this 3rd album is even better, the rhythm and basslines are more powerful, and I really like 02-Content May Differ, 03-Stereorganic, and 08-2 Lame 2 Blame.

Good album.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Listening to this one again.... IMO one of the best proggy releases so far this year.

320890[/snapback]

BB are one of my fave Prog artists, I like that they still sound like BB; they haven't tried to do something housey or clubby.

I liked Pandora's Groovebox, though it is a shit name for an album; I think this album is a little close in proximity to that albums recentish release, as this ablbum sounds a bit similiar.

I am waiting for the club/electro thing to pass, how about the rest of you?

BB are one of my fave Prog artists, I like that they still sound like BB; they haven't tried to do something housey or clubby.

I liked Pandora's Groovebox, though it is a shit name for an album; I think this album is a little close in proximity to that albums recentish release, as this ablbum sounds a bit similiar.

I am waiting for the club/electro thing to pass, how about the rest of you?

359315[/snapback]

This year, imo, the best of proggy I heard are Jaia, Antix, Beat Bizarre, Sensient, Drone, Gaudium and Tegma... and if you throw away all the wanna-be-more-housy-projects Beat Bizarre's album is the one of few that doesn't sound too clubby/electro-like, instead these guys continue to evolve their unique sound.

I'm very fed up with all housy stuff, so I hope there will be more albums like this one =]

• 2 years later...
  • 4 years later...

"You are a most unusual traveler my friend."

Why can't I stop looking at the cover? It's like watching the results of a train wreck. I don't want to see, but I cannot turn away.

This is the 3rd album of the Danish duo (René Gundel Nielsen & Martin Spanner Zimmermann) but it might as well be their first because I didn't hear the other two. The type of progressive trance here is smooth and delicate. By that I mean, effects and little melodies are present, but don't lean too hard on them, they will break. Never too heavy, but enough to guide you where they want to take you. Sterorganic jumped out with it's great kick and bass combo as well as chopped up voice used as a melody. The detail in Ding Dong Dynamo sounded good and I enjoyed the latter bit of Snowflake Shake.

Overall though it was a bit too light for my tastes. Maybe it wouldn't have been, but each track is like 9 minutes long. It's hard to maintain the level of "like" when you don't get new goodies to ooh and ahh at. You gotta put more stuff in there to keep me focused. Again, that might just be my inability to focus on anything for extended periods of time. It's tough to go from layers of melodies as big as the outdoors to subtle ones. No matter how clever they may be.

Mdk