• Sorted per label, genres separated
    • Sorted per label, albums and singles separated, genres separated
    • Sorted per release year
    • Sorted per release year, genres separated
    • Sorted in the order they were bought
    • Sorted in the order they were bought, genres separated
    • I have too few records to bother sorting them
    • I don't have any records at all

I tried to make as many alternatives as I could think of. If you have a mix of sorting styles, try to pick the one that suits you the best. Like if you have 200 well sorted trance records and 10 unsorted rock records, don't pick the chaos alternative.

Some explanations:

"Sorted per label, albums and singles separated, genres separated" would mean that you have A-Z of psy/goa labels (and within each label singles are sorted separately from albums) and then A-Z of techno labels, etc. This is what I have. Within each label I sort per catalogue number, singles first and then albums.

"Sorted per artist name, albums and singles separated, genres separated" would mean that The Infinity Project - "Mystial Experiences" is sorted under ambient while The Infinity Project - "Feeling Weird" is sorted under goa.

Some of these could be combined even more, but I would end up with a bazillion alternatives that mean pretty much the same thing.

Well for me it's a mix of lots of things...

Ambient is sorted apart

Then all psytrance - goatrance - fullon - progessive is sorted by album & compilations...

In albums & compilations is everything sorted by year ...

Ordering my CDs per alphabet or something like that would take me ages, they´re just too many... so I simply order them by "brilliant>good>mediocre>listenable>crap". The better ones being carefully put away in a case, etc, and the shitty ones floating around everywhere in my room.

so I´m sorting them by personal rating

I have a pretty big collection (if I may say so myself) and I can find just about any record in 3 seconds... but for techno and some club trance I need to reorganize things, they're not structured very well. But luckily I still have so little in these genres that flipping through them takes almost no time at all.

But since I sort by genre (and within that by label, and within that by catalogue number) some genre-defying stuff is tricky to decide on... do I put Stress Assassin with my Spiral Trax psy CDs or do I stick it in the chill shelf? I usually let the label decide in those cases - something non-trance on a trance label goes in the trance shelf, while something trance-ish on a non-trance label stays with the other releases on that label.

And yeah I was referring to both CD and vinyl with this poll.

since I dont have many cds in the electronic genre (maybe close to 50 now? gotta count sometime), I dont need to think too much about it..

I fit them all in my case... I put first the more upbeat ones on the first half of the case, and on the second half of the case I put the downbeat/dub/chill ones...

ukiro: "I have a pretty big collection (if I may say so myself) and I can find just about any record in 3 seconds... "

You´re right, searching for a CD can be a real pain in the ass when it´s not all carefully sorted, but then again I´m just too lazy to start sorting them all. :P

yes, for me alphabetical too (and thanks to Excel that isn't so much work :P) and when it is a group by years

and I mix both groups and compilations, so:

Electric Ohms

Electric Universe - One Love

Electric Universe - Stardiver

Electric Universe - Waves

Eternal Frequency (which is a comp)

looks chaotic at first sight but It's very easy and as I have to take away some cds every weekend to play around I know the correct order out of my head in fact...

Guest Astro Cortex

albums/singles by artist name (albums & singles not seperated but sorted chronologically)

then compilations by label, and again comps on same label by release year

I have one section for new cd's (I buy 10- 15 cd's each month)

woah man, you should start reviewing more...

As for me: bascially I have about 5 albums I'd listen to frequently for a period of time so they're in a small pile... the others are in chaos.... I like sorting through the chaos and stumbling on stuff I haven't listened to in a long long time though, it's kindof like recieving a brand new CD :)

by style (oldschool, progressive, full-on, dark psy, finnish + australien +experimental) +  I have one section for new cd's (I buy 10- 15 cd's each month)

228867[/snapback]

that's was my first classifacation too buth with the evolution of goa all the styles became so difficult and the boundaries are very small that I just had to admit it wasn't possible anymore to order by style imho....

What a poll!

I've got a non-standard schema... for Goa it's all done by artist, with compilations off to the side. I group like-projects together so Crop Circles and Pleiadians are under 'E'. I keep post-millenial psytrance and progressive seperate - the prog I still use fairly often so its in a bin right under my table. There's no real order to it since I'm usually just fishing through the pile anyway. All my CDs are in a heap with absolutely no order whatsoever. It's a mess :) but at least my Goa is 100% sorted.

I first sort by genre: psy-trance, ambient/downtempo, mixed eletronic (idm, lounge, etc), jazz, pop/rock, folk music, classical, punk

Since my psy-trance collection is quite big I sort the albums from a-z and the compilations are order by label and catalog number. Psy-trance and psy-ambient are separated. I find that ordering compilations by label is more effective then ordering from a-z. For example, most of the time I recall some good tune, but can't remember the name of the compilation it was released on, but I do remember the label.