How is the psy/goa trance scene doing today?

Strifer

First of all, GOA genre doesn't exist anymore. Goa trance was genre dominating from 1994 to 2000. After that we settled for some juicy psychadelia until 2002 when full on started and practically threw real psychedelic music on the side. Only few artists are producing real psychedelia these days. Full on entirely took over the scene and last 2 years we have more new commers that decided to make music one day and after 2-3 months of preparing and finding the stuff they released an album in no time, completely supressing real musicians in the shade and dominating on completely wrong levels. There is heaps and heaps of new comps, albums, labels every day practically. We can hear about new smashing, crispy releases every day where in fact most of it sounds bland and THE SAME as other 70 % of trance music. Only rarely someone old or new pop up with new, quality release. Now, it depends wheter you wanted to tell you who is new, what happend in the scene if you haven't been around...? Nothing much changed except that progressive trance progressed even more and went into housey realms and the beats and groove are much more sophisticated but the fact is that there is too much music that you can't even discover more quality music anymore from ultimate hyper production. Ambient is much more crisp and there are even some psychedelic comps.If you haven't been around for some time, here is what you missed in the mean time :

FRACTAL GLIDER - PARASITE 2002

ALEINATED BUDDHA - INPSYDE 2002

SPACE CAT - POWER UP 2002

ALIEN PROJECT - AZTECHNO DREAM 2002

BAMBOO FOREST - RANDOM FUTURE 2002

ELECTRIC UNIVERSE - UNIFY 2002

HUMAN BLUE - ELECTRIC ROUNDABOUT 2002

SAIKO POD - PHUTURES AND OPTIONS 2002

PROCESS - SUPERIOR TECHNOLOGY 2002

LOGIC BOMB - UNLIMITED 2002

COSMA - NON STOP 2003

MENOG - NATURAL BEHAVIOUR 2003

WIZZY NOISE - ELECTRO THEATER 2003

FRACTAL GLIDER - DIGITAL MANDALA 2003

VIBRASPHERE - LIME STRUCTURE 2003

MAN WITH NO NAME - INTERSTATE HIGHWAY 2003

DARK NEBULA - THE 8TH SPHERE 2003

OTT - BLUMENKRAFT 2003

ZORBA - ZORBA 2003

SPACE CAT - MECHANICAL DREAM 2004

JUNO REACTOR - LABYRINTH 2004

FILTERIA - SKY INPUT 2004

WIZZY NOISE - STEREO ELECTRIC 2004

PROMETHEUS - ROBOT.O.CHAN 2004

and there are more, I just named few...

First of all, GOA genre doesn't exist anymore. Goa trance was genre dominating from 1994 to 2000. After that we settled for some juicy psychadelia until 2002 when full on started and practically threw real psychedelic music on the side. Only few artists are producing real psychedelia these days. Full on entirely took over the scene and last 2 years we have more new commers that decided to make music one day and after 2-3 months of preparing and finding the stuff they released an album in no time, completely supressing real musicians in the shade and dominating on completely wrong levels. There is heaps and heaps of new comps, albums, labels every day practically. We can hear about new smashing, crispy releases every day where in fact most of it sounds bland and THE SAME as other 70 % of trance music. Only rarely someone old or new pop up with new, quality release. Now, it depends wheter you wanted to tell you who is new, what happend in the scene if you haven't been around...? Nothing much changed except that progressive trance progressed even more and went into housey realms and the beats and groove are much more sophisticated but the fact is that there is too much music that you can't even discover more quality music anymore from ultimate hyper production. Ambient is much more crisp and there are even some psychedelic comps.If you haven't been around for some time, here is what you missed in the mean time :

209374[/snapback]

I couldent agree more...

209374[/snapback]

it is true but it's just that everyone who's been around for a while doensn't want to face (not to taken that serious)... put it away in a box & believe none of this mostly happened... ;) ... why not... psychedelic trance is a dream so why shouldn't I control my own dreams...

how is the psy/trance goa scéne doing today??? only what you imagine is going on today all the rest is pure theory & influence that cannot be expierenced as a general evolution... somebody who has entered the psychedelic scéne 3 years later then seraph would give you a total different answer still it would be the right answer :) ...

I wouldn't spend my time figuring how the goa scéne is today but how YOU are expierincing the goa scéne today...

peace and lots of respect :D

Well, hmm. As much as I'd like to complain I still find about 5 CDs a month to buy, and never seem to get my spending down. Old school fans may have slim pickings but if your tastes go beyond that into at least a few other realms then there's always something to explore... if all else fails, try Finland :D

The scene sure is suffering from a terrible lack of creativity in many releases but this can't last, and anyhow, 95% of any music is crap isn't it? Digging for the 5% that is excellent is what makes this all worth it.

Some quality releases from 2004:

12 Moons - Solid State (pure trance)

BLT & Danni Makov - Anything U Want (a triumph of psychedelic trance)

Electric Universe - Cosmic Experience (who said Goa is dead?)

Filteria - Sky Input (amen)

FREq - Strange Attractors (progressive maybe but very psychedelic!)

Haltya - Electric Help Elves (sick of everything? try this)

Hydrophonic - Aquabatics (better full-on)

Lemurians - Secret Message (dark and psychedelic)

Lunaspice - Reflexion (layered psychedelic progressive)

Matenda - Tunnel Vision (some glorious morning trance)

Phi - Phinalizer (dancefloor-ready old school influenced full-on madness)

Prometheus - Robot-o-chan (interesting psychedelic offering)

Talpa - The Art of Being Non (low sound quality but high creativity in melodies)

Torakka - Far Out Express (very psychedelic and old school influenced)

The Misted Muppet - From the Legend (Infected goes back in time)

Of course there are plenty more compilations and excellent progressive releases. 2004 wasn't bad at all! And despite the 99 billion crap releases there are still at least 25 that I will cherish greatly from this past year. All things considered we're doing ok, now hopefully Filteria and others can usher in a new age renaissance with true old school influences for 2005! Then the picture would have more balance to it... good luck in the quest for fine beats and bytes!

peace.

Todays scene isn't better than 1995-1999 period but much much better than 2001-2003.

2004 was a very,very good year for Psy-trance.Especially after summer.

And Goa still exists:Filteria-Shy Input,Ypsilon 5 :)

yes I agree with most of the people here, less good as before 99, but the best year last 4-5 years! I have at least 7-8 véry good albums from this year, which is alot, and 20+ good albums/comps

like Lepton said, the dark psychedelic trance (or techno, as you wish) is growing now (and will be the next wave probably), but if you are more into weird highly psychedelic music, check out the Finnish or Australian stuff :)

yes... is hard to experience psy trance music like 1994-2000, but i dont care because music goes on and i need to move on. i discover psy trance back in..mmm... 1997. Astral projection with dancing galaxy made my day i remember. :rolleyes: But i discover this to late, and the scene was in change, evolved all so fast.

i think there is good full on, but i have to admit that is all the same music, and is a shame. but there is much more music you know. progressive is great, nice for the dance.. the horny dance you know..LOL :lol: . Kruger is always a good musician, FREq, Son kite, Antix, phony orphants... and more dark progressive like suncontrolspecies. :) Then there is techtrance that i love. it all happens with the first CD from wizzynoise "cybermancy" and i fell in love with those rythms. artist like midimiliz, xdream, fuzzion, metalogic, cybered, the delta, kuro there are good options for quality music.

i think that not everything is lost. there is always people that want the past on the present, and no accept the fact that things change. :D

No one said that everything is lost, the guy asked about goa/psy scene, and there are no goa/psy scene, that is all. I am for change, but the best would be to have all the genres functioning at the same time and not have age of this genre and now age of other genre. I am always talking only about not suppressing true spirit for some wild rhythms. People will always make wilderness, dark, demented, groovy music, I miss happiness, melodies, harmonies, goa crsipyness, bravery, epic structures. I know there are Filteria and Ypsilon 5 but they are the only 2 groups that make some kind of goa trance. That is what I am speaking. I like some progressive, minimal, even full on but there are way too many artists doing same things. I am for evolution, but evolution on all fronts. ;)

Yesterday I wrote a pretty long piece on the state of the scene as seen from my Swedish perspective, and it boils down to be about what got me into it and how I adjust myself within it in order to feel comfortable. It's not a very positive view, but I have my reasons. For those interested and patient enough to read it, click here: http://ukiro.com

yes I agree with most of the people here, less good as before 99, but the best year last 4-5 years! I have at least 7-8 véry good albums from this year, which is alot, and 20+ good albums/comps

209624[/snapback]

It's not alot if you consider the total output.

np: Murcof - Maiz

Yesterday I wrote a pretty long piece on the state of the scene as seen from my Swedish perspective, and it boils down to be about what got me into it and how I adjust myself within it in order to feel comfortable. It's not a very positive view, but I have my reasons. For those interested and patient enough to read it, click here: http://ukiro.com

209630[/snapback]

Well Ola, you know I'm with you on that page. Here in Toronto I shut down the local community I was running, stopped taking most gigs, and generally stepped out of the "scene" here to enjoy music my own way... even if that meant just listening at home and never really experiencing that amazing feeling out on the dancefloor (or behind the booth for that matter) when things really matter... my process sounds nearly identical to yours, with weeks of careful lead-up to an event, a very selective choice of records brought out, and the all-too-common disappointment when the show turns out to be another stupid circus. I've tried to travel around the path somewhat more than you have, having freshly made this resolution (mine was made this summer), and my goal has simply been to relax, recuperate from the spiritual harm I suffered putting so much of myself into the record craft, and just try to enjoy whatever music hit the right vibes with me for the wintertime. Oh, and produce, which I still need to get around to doing :) have you thought of dedicating some of your efforts towards the goal of making your own sounds?

You're lucky on at least one point... it sounds as if Sweden's scene is vast enough that you can round up enough people for the true trance dance experience... here in Toronto I don't think there are enough people still interested in much more than the cliquey back-scratching schmoozathons with booze or drugs involved. Who knows really. I might be missing something, having skipped almost all of the events here for the past 6 months... however the one I did go to that everyone praised so highly was quite a disappointment, and as per usual I'd probably be crucified if I were to express a dissenting view about it... oh well. So I step back. I stay at home. I listen to music I like, when I want to, and let it carry me through my days.

At some point I'm going to get the itch to get active, but for now recognize that merely listening is doing my soul some good. Maybe you can find some solace in a break as well, as there isn't much one can do about the sidetracked issues you describe well in your write-up. Good luck on your travels...

Oh and I guess the thing to remember is - there is still good music coming out... and timeless music never ages :)

Lots of insightful comments there Basilisk.... I don't have much to add. I have been making my own music for a few years though, but I keep getting tangled up in the details and rarely finish anything. I've got a track in progress with Jannis (Filteria) though, so we'll see how that goes - he's a lot more efficient in the studio than I am, so my attention to individual details (and endlessly patient buildups) might be a fitting addition to his style of production. But we haven't even finished a single track yet so I really don't know how it will turn out.

Enough of this threadjack sidetrack, on with the original topic =)

209630[/snapback]

Just read everything and I think you hit the nail. The scene needs more people like you and I think some people are realising this and trying to do something about it. But from my own experience alot of people that come to parties nowadays don't know much about what the music was meant to be they are comming for drugs, people,.... If their are enough people realising this it will change, and one day this is going to happen and until then we have to fight to get it back :ph34r:. Would love to hear you play but unfortunatly I'am not from Sweden.

here in Toronto I don't think there are enough people still interested in much more than the cliquey back-scratching schmoozathons with booze or drugs involved

Yeah I agree I used to hit BLA parties here (they were/are awesome), go to Om Festival (which apparently won't happen ever again... for better and for worse)... But man Toronto's psy/goa scene S-U-C-K-S. There used to be many cool people at these parties, but now it's like any big-club atmosphere... And it seems they never happen now (maybe only a few times a year?) Often I think the only thing seperating psy/goa from candy-ravers and junglists nowadays is the style of music, even the people are all looking alike now... Or maybe its just me... But where are all the hippes in this city now? Did the cold kill them? Did they move away? Or did they just find another place to chill and not tell me? hehheh

And is it me or are most "psy" nights often tied into industrial/goth/ebm now (DarkRave anyone? <_< )? I have had an incredibly hard time finding a real, psy/goa-only party, or ANY party with a major psy area..... (save for new years parties)

I'm curious to travel and (hopefully) check out psy scenes in other countries (where I hear its better)

yes... is hard to experience psy trance music like 1994-2000, but i dont care because music goes on and i need to move on. i discover psy trance back in..mmm... 1997. Astral projection with dancing galaxy made my day i remember. :rolleyes:  But i discover this to late, and the scene was in change, evolved all so fast.

i think there is good full on, but i have to admit that is all the same music, and is a shame. but there is much more music you know. progressive is great, nice for the dance.. the horny dance you know..LOL :lol: . Kruger is always a good musician, FREq, Son kite, Antix, phony orphants... and more dark progressive like suncontrolspecies. :)  Then there is techtrance that i love. it all happens with the first CD from wizzynoise "cybermancy" and i fell in  love with those rythms. artist like midimiliz, xdream, fuzzion, metalogic, cybered, the delta, kuro there are good options for quality music.

i think that not everything is lost. there is always people that want the past on the present, and no accept the fact that things change.  :D

209625[/snapback]

Geez. Everything you say is so much what i have been thinking and am thinking, but you put it in good words.

That emptiness in energy i also felt from 2000 onwards, so i am very positive about the new directions. It is strange this in music, since when i started listening to jungle in 1991, it was also filled with this new positive energy that you can feel is meant to make us happy. The same went for drumnbasswhich evolved from jungle and then dominated. After 1999 i couldnt handle the main aggressive produced direction it was keeping, so i stayed off.

I am very glad the stall in psychedelic has inspired people to create the sounds they want to hear! and that is starting to come now

little note to add... it's true that goa evolution goes very fast and not always in the direction we like... but still I'm very glad that there is a evolution...

how I see in other electronic music styles lots of genres stay still...

* techno in my country sounds just the same as 5 years ago

* electro hasn't changed a bit only that the technology of sounds is getting better

but that is something we see in several music genres...

* acid just like fucking died !!! it stopped & there are no new acid releases

anymore we can't even talk about a non evolution cause there isn't a creation

anymore...

* drum'n base uses the same sounds as in the beginning but just harder... the

new type of hard drum'n base has entered but just going harder isn't a solution

cause also there is an end... still have to admit that the latest 1-2 years some

drum'n base got trance sound influences and the sound that have been used

aren't that natural anymore... but so what the heck it's evolution...

* house is the olny electronic genres that also really has got evolution... different

styles like tech - house & deep house has filled the parties and created some

new funky wave that I really respect (not on parties but good to listen as

background music...)

still must say some will not agree with my opinion but don't forget lots of evolution is influenced in which country you live so if your country is ahead of mine (what I don't think is possible :P;) )... don't shoot me :)

conclusion... I'm one of those that also complains about how it was, sounded better in the past but if goa releases still were perfectly like 5 years ago I wouldn't be happy either :( ...

so I'm glad that there's an evolution and I have been there to expierence that evolution :D... especially with progressive... I didn't like minimal at all back in the days but certainly do like the progressive sounds starting in the year 2000 :)

although I always will appreciate retro releases like ypsilon 5, filteria and defenitily the remasted version of prana - geomantik (which I'm listening to right now B) )... I hope evolution can be present in all different psy styles... fullon, progressive and old skool as wel...

lots of peace & respet rain...

I'm not in the mood for ranting on bad directions and wrong evolutions. This year known some really bad music, including from my long time heroes (Space Cat for instance, who probably got so bored in the studio that called to Alien Project to baby sit him). Tip.World was releasing absolutely crappy music and managing to surprising how low they can go with every new release. But! A big but here. We had some amazing albums that are already became a classic. Talpa, BLT, Sub6, Bluetech, Electric Universe, Human Blue. The list goes on and on. Atleast 20 great, great CDs. And most of them came from small labels. As i see it, except for Hommega all of the major labels were busy either releasing crap to fill their booking schedules (Tip.World, Spun), postponing Albums till oblivion (Twisted) or pretty much doing nothing interesting (Spirit Zone, BNE, Hadshot).

Correct me if i'm wrong.

And Basilisk's list prooves it to you. Great year.

Actually, goa is more alive then u think...

Filteria

Ypsilon 5 (Tranceform Rec)

Ethereal (Tranceform Rec)

VA - Pure Planet (Kadgilia Rec)

Suomi trance is more psychedelic then any other =)

Hope to see the Amithaba Buddha album, Halosian album... something from Suntrip Rec

To all: now imagine a nigga sayin'

"Yo! Keep it real!"

too much shittie neo full on powertrance

i warned everbody with their everybody's welcom attitude...

people saying that parties now are better cause in the old days there where to much freaks???? :huh:

there's this bling bling jow jow hip hop style evolving

big money dj's with their sunglasses

skazi jerks .

steeling basslines from eachother (astrix)

and even stealing melodies . (= hip hop)

it saddens me that many of my friends have gone soft

dj's who played the best oldschool now play the commercial shit.

but their still my friends

i used to dislike the person who was standing still in the middle dansfloor wit a black hood on.

now I am that person .

i cant go partie anymore . i really dont like that music . i see it evolving too. there cutting the sucky powerbass. and sometimes more psychedelic. but then the stupid powerbass comes in again and i gotto go puke.

even when i take drugs i dont like the music how fucked up is that?

now its waiting for a good partie but is doesnt look good.

now i'm hibrating on wicked psytrance

enjoying the kick wich resembles the old day's kick

and the crazy psychotic dark sounds wich reminds us of the crazy old melodies

like troglodytes and scave scream

its good that the scene is growing so more people could be more affected by the plurrie feeling.

but always... thats never good for a genre's quality of music

thank hunab ku for dark psy...