03. 08’14” KNS

04. 08’59” Metro Deluxe

05. 07’00” Umbau

06. 09’15” Scent of a Tunnel

07. 09’44” Transmission In Vain

08. 08’30” Ordinary Weekend

Review:

Full-on? This is full-off!

Second album from Atmos! Oh, happy day! ;o) After more than 4 years of waiting since the groundbreaking debut release Headcleaner, Tomasz Balicki is ready to wow us once again…

Let me take you thru the tracks…

#01: First up is Raumwelt Signal… Space-world signal! The intro is slow and relaxed – a simple xylophone melody and random voice muttering… Wind-fx are added to help shape the moody atmosphere… And along the way more fx are added… Percussion, etc… And BAM, a dark distorted gritty bassline… Later, voice-samples saying “Let the bass kick!”… From being kind and gentle, this track has evolved into a progressive, technoid, yet slow tune… And I barely even noticed… Check out the industrial-sounding synths towards the end too… Nice track!

#02: Next up is Al Bummer, which conveniently rhymes with summer… ‘Cause this is night-time music for a progressive summer set… When you’ve been chilling all day on the beach in the sun, this is the fuel that’ll keep you dancing all night… Hi-hats, trippy synths, ‘industrial percussion’ – check out the downbeat part in the middle, which progresses into a Hi Hat-studios’esque groove… This on one hell of a funky tune…;o)

#03: KNS is more subtle… A deep, un-polished bassline sets the pace, accompanied by lighter, joyful melodies… Check out the looooong, very cool build-up part from around 2’00 to 3’33 where the bassline is hid away, and the tension is just building… Who is that saying “Do I make myself clear” – Darth Vader? … Just as #1 this track manages to shift from one genre to another almost unnoticeable… That’s great craftsmanship… Lovely!

#04: Metro Deluxe was released as an album-teaser in late 2003, so most of you should know it… It’s definitely on the housier side of things… With wicked analogue layered percussion and twisted stereo-echoes, this is percussion oriented tribal-trance at its best! Beach house trance! Kick-ass track!

#05: It’s fucking mad! Yes, the plot thickens now and the beats get darker… A noisy, analogue bassline, sparse percussion and all kinds of filter-effects are used to create the spooky atmosphere in this track… Again we get distinct techno-influences… Not for the faint-hearted, but an interesting track altogether…

#06: How does a tunnel smell? And even more interesting, how does the scent of a tunnel sound? This track is much more accessible than its predecessor… After a short intro, a twisted acid-line starts in the background…In the foreground are different percussion and a deep, rich bassline… In between it all, is a groovy, sweet vibe holding it all together… Again, we’re in progressive territory, but with a sharper sound… I really like the build-up parts that start @ around 3’00 and again @ 5’05 – and the multilayered mayhem they both end in… Tribal percussion and smooth, driving melodies with the added value of some good old psychedelia… That’s a funky cocktail, and this is some funky shit! ;o)

#07: Power from the get-go… After a few seconds, a hard-hitting bassline is presented alongside some sweet tribal percussion… At around 1’40 the track almost comes to a halt, but is quickly lifted again by a rich bassline and some old-school synth-action…It happens again a couple of minutes later, when we are treated to a lengthy voice sample about space-travel – interrupted by more twisted basslines and spacy synths… Later on we get some kind of female singing/humming and some twisted vocoded voice sample… Another fine, groovy progressive tune… This transmission was NOT in vain Mr. Balicki!

#08: The last track is for chilling… Not! This is a more experimental tune… The bassline and most of the percussion is “normal” but the surrounding sounds are of a more deviant nature… High-pitched melodies and weird guitar squelches – not really my cup of java to be honest… I don’t think this will get much playtime in my stereo…

Despite that I don’t really like the last track; this is a nice album… It’s progressive in nature, though the sound is not as well-polished, as say Son Kite, Kooler or FREq – there are room for more experimentation here [though not as much as the Echölab album] – and it’s obvious that Balicki is heavily inspired by techno, tech-house and the likes… That also means, that this requires a little more from the listener than your ordinary high-bpm trance-album – you need to be open-minded, and if so, you’ll like this album…

Thumbs up for the cover art too… Made by professional skateboarder/graffiti artist Gorm Boberg this cover stand out from the crowd… Reminds me of Spirallianz/Midi Miliz/D-Drum stuff… When Mushroom Mag asked about the name and the cover of the new album, Atmos said: “2nd Brigade means basically the second album after "Headcleaner" but it's supposed to match the cover that is a very ironic picture that might seem a bit brutal the first time you look at it. Basically every one knows how soft and cheesy music I'm producing and also everyone that knows me personally knows that I have sometimes a bit strange sense of humour. My idea was to have a cover that doesn't really go together with the contents of the album.” Actually, I think Warhammer 40000 space marines alongside armoured tanks with huge speakers and playboy bunny logos make perfect sense… ;o)

I like this album… Well, most of it anyway… It takes repeated listens to really sink in, but when it does, it really sits… It is cool how Balicki manages to cross musical boundaries within single tracks – he’s got great talent… Check it out if you want to experience how Atmos has evolved since Headcleaner… Recommended for any open-minded fan of electronic music!

8/10

Favourites: 2, 3, 4(!), 6(!!), 7(!)

DeathPosture

External links:

Spiral Trax: www.spiraltrax.com

Psyshop: www.psyshop.com (Audio samples available!)

Saiko Sounds: www.saikosounds.com

Chaos Unlimited: www.chaosunlimited.co.uk

---

[NOTE: For info on the limited vinyl release, check the Spiral Trax website…]

---

Edit: Updated with HTML december 1st 2005

Edited by DeathPosture

It lacks everything imo. No energy. Just some kick and hihat. A pause. Some pads thrown in. And then same shit after that. Hell, its not even rythmic. But I didn't like his first one either. Maybe you will like this. This kind of music is just so incredible(sp) dull imo.

Guest necro

yea i found it a little dissapointing.... then again when i first listened to headcleaner i thought it was terrible........and after multiple listens it has become my favourite album of all time.

if u enjoyed headcleaner then only 'transmission in vain' ( and maybe scent of a tunnel) will fit into your expectations. I respect that artists evolve and change.......but i would have liked atmos to have evovled more along the lines of his subtle soundscapes, rather than tech house loops.

then again with atmos u can never be sure at first.his music does has a tendency to grow on the listener... so maybe the rest of the album will become clearer as time goes on?

Guest Jon Cocco

People,

I don't think I'm the only one who is a bit unsure about what I truly yet feel about this album, but...

Is it just me or does the sound of Atmos simply sound repetitive and dull? And I realize Headcleaner had parts that were repetitive also but parts of Headcleaner seemed waaaaay more catchy than this... yet 2nd Brigade does have its nicely developed beats and sounds that create something cool to listen to, but it seems all too soon that these parts loose their luster by fact they repeat for far too long, or with not enough change to remain consistently interesting. In time, some of these tracks just grow tedious and annoying for me... at least this album seems like it could have used more time with adding layers of MELODY or something.

2nd Brigade has moments that are catchy for what they are, and there are PARTS that have catchy melody too, and voice bits that are cool too! Also, many tracks start off interesting too, (like where will this song go and become I ask myself) but usually do not lift off or it seems that Atmos not taking risks is hampering their own style, and I realize this is thier own and or "new" style, whatever you wanna call it.

This 2nd Brigade album; this second Atmos album, becomes fairly repetitive and uninteresting in just about every track or at least many parts. I'm not expecting full-on, totally constantly progressive, twisting, IM, psytrance. I have come to accept more subtle or complex things and I try to remain just as open-minded as I can. But I'm just saying that many parts on this album just sit there, looping, repeating (not just the beat like most other albums in this music) but the sounds in general, the clicks, taps, bops, and other layers of little sounds to add to the beats. The tracks don't flow in a deep or artistic, or smooth way. I mean, the tracks don't really morph into non-linear, unexplored places. Each track feels like a different character which doesn't change much, nor change a little!

Maybe I have to listen to this again and again and again, as the first time I listened to Headcleaner, I was very supprised at what was so liked about the tracks here... (in Headcleaner) but certain Headcleaner tracks did grow on me (although I still find some tracks too drawn out, uninteresting, and repetitive) I am AWARE that there are subtle or minor details, things, that take place within the music, things that may be picked up the second, third, or more listens, but this album just doesn't seem CATCHY or have the RHYTHM and catchy melodies that could. Melodies and layers that seem like they should just "KICK IN" and GRAB YOU!, captivatate you!, and take you places!

This seems fairly simple, too discreet, with beats and sounds that play around the beats with little if any STAND-OUT driving, rhythmic force. It does seem a bit minimal and I realize some people will try to HYPE this album for sales (just in general) to psytrance people. I'm not saying this album is bad, but it seems pretty lacking and disappointing for a first release in basically 4 years.

I'll keep listening to it, but unless I'm missing some frequency that can only be mentally registered and picked up under some type of pill or liquid, than I guess I won't be "getting" it anytime soon, that is, if there is anything to "get." Maybe, ... just maybe, this is just NOT a good or great album. It is its own thing, but maybe ATMOS's style is just not exciting and captivating enough. I mean, like it or not, just listen to it!, a beat and or melody/sound is turned off... pause,,,, than the beat comes back,,, the song continues and occasionally a different sound or atmospheric ambience comes in and fades, like it sounds so simple and lacking in imagination and risk and just the whole overall sound. That is how I feel right now towards this album, and I'm trying to be neutral on both what I feel is good and not good, but I realize that its difficult with something like this. Most people are comparing it to Headcleaner, but for me, its just not catchy enough in many areas, its different when their is a catchy drums and beat (I think track 7 on Headcleaner) and than it repeats, because its VERY catchy but even than it can become tiresome. I realize some people will like this and hate this, agree with me and disagree, but I guess after 4 years I was expecting at least a little more, maybe just for now until this grows more on me, but much of it does seem pretty flat for what it cound have been.

JC

Guest blue electric eagle

i didnt like this album.. and im not just a 'psy person' but i found it not good not bad either... just something symple....!

EP: Ofcourse I've listen to it. I've also listened quite some times now. I don't know if I can take more listens before being bored out of my mind :P His first one much better. If you can call it good :P It seems that you can listen to an album enough times and eventually you will like it. Well, that doesn't work for me. Sometimes I need just a clip to know that I will love that particular album. 2nd Brigade is still the worst album I've heard for a long time. Now it's time to enjoy some Rinkadink. Amazing stuff :)

It seems like those who like full on, hates progressive. And those who likes progressive, hates full on... Why? I see/hear positive things on both sides, and also positive things in many other kinds of music, but people like me are maybe rare...?

The Atmos album is quite nice. I heard him play some of these tracks last summer at a party here in Norway, at a festival in Sweden and at Samothraki Island in Greece, and it worked really well on the dancefloor... But I can also understand that some people think it sounds a bit "dull" or "boring", but that's probably because you sort of have to get into the "drift". You sort of have to "learn" to like it, just like it is with many other kinds of music like drum'n'bass, electro, techno etc. When I first listened to house music in the beginning of the 90's, I also thought it sounded a bit dull after all that banging acid techno... But I learned to appreciate it.

I thought Headcleaner was better, but that's maybe because this kind of progressive sound was pretty new and fresh at that time, while he isn't really doing anything "new" now. Looking forward to his set at the Boom Festival by the way...

My full review is her:

http://www.trance.net

PK

NP: Freq

Ajmin ==> Check my intial review... I've tried to explain it there... If you're lazy, here's the paragraph again... ;o)

---

Thumbs up for the cover art too… Made by professional skateboarder/graffiti artist Gorm Boberg this cover stand out from the crowd… Reminds me of Spirallianz/Midi Miliz/D-Drum stuff… When Mushroom Mag asked about the name and the cover of the new album, Atmos said: “2nd Brigade means basically the second album after "Headcleaner" but it's supposed to match the cover that is a very ironic picture that might seem a bit brutal the first time you look at it. Basically every one knows how soft and cheesy music I'm producing and also everyone that knows me personally knows that I have sometimes a bit strange sense of humour. My idea was to have a cover that doesn't really go together with the contents of the album.” Actually, I think Warhammer 40000 space marines alongside armoured tanks with huge speakers and playboy bunny logos make perfect sense… ;o)

---

DP

Guest Vladimir

People,let's be realistic.

I'm a full on maniac,Skazi,Gms etc. I never liked Atmos,but last summer I've

heard him doing a live set.His music was so complex,full of energy,of various styles but still trance,that I realised how great artist he actually is.

I came to conclusion that full-on artists can only be full-on,Astral Projection can only be Astral Projection and the will be stucked in time with no DESIRE

to evolve.I bought 2nd Brigade few days ago-Atmos did what most of trance artists will never be able.He could of made a tipical trance album(wheter we like that kind of trance or not)but instead of that Atmos had the guts and made an album which represents Amalgam of influences,styles.His production is just one step ahead.

TO UNDERSTAND THAT YOU HAVE TO BE OPEN MINDED. MUSIC HAS

TO BE A CONSTANT EVOLUTION,PROGRESSION AND EXPLORATION.

THANK YOU ATMOS.

• 7 months later...

Maybe a bit late for this review, but i find the album worth to give my opinion, even this long after it's release

I've just recieved it, and i must say, the first listen was a bit dissapointing. Ok, i was not really in a good listening mood and it seemed soo boring psy-tech to me. But then later that day, being in a more relaxed mood and using the better soundsystem in my house, cause the first listen was on a normal stereo, i put it up again. And man, was i in for a treat. It's been long since listening at home got me to this level of intesity, and created such good atmosphere.

This album is really good.

First track is imo the least good of the album, but after that it just gets better and better and when you reach track 6, from there till the end it's enchanting all the way, not to mention highly danceble. I especially like those atmospheric background sounds he uses.

i give this a 9/10.

Even though the beginning is minimal, the rest of the album picks up the pace I like and find Atmos doing right thing. I didn't get in beginning why has he made minimal progressive trax...First three tracks I don't like at all, but the rest is pretty interesting. My favourite ones are : TRANSMISSION IN VAIN, SCENT OF A TUNNEL, METRO DELUXE, UMBAU...7/10

• 4 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

It pains me to read the bad reviews of this album on this site, and therefore I dug out my old review from Isratrance and ill repost it here, because back then I didnt post here. Its probably the most enthusiastic review i've ever written, and ill admit, I have always been an "Atmos Whore" since the very beginning. Anyways, here we go:

Ladies and Gentlemen,

I've had this piece of audioart for quite some time now and I still havent't written a review. There are many reasons to explain this, my new job which takes up all of my waking hours, the heap of other great releases that are begging for my attention or the fact that behind the facade of the working man im still the same lazy-ass stoner I always was.

However, these are just excuses. The real reason this review took so long is that I was not able to find words that will do Atmos justice. This is maybe the tenth attempt at a review, but I always deleted everything because it just wasn't right. I tried the "play-by-play" analysis and described every song in detail and I tried to technically analyze the progression of the Atmos sound over the last years, but I wasn't satisfied. How can One describe and analyze something that cannot be put in words, something that just "IS", or in other words, feels like the heart or bassline of all existence. (I know this sounds strange, but I shall elaborate)

I finally found a hook to start writing a review when I remembered the comments for Atmos's first album, "Headcleaner", on the old psynews.org site. People were talking about the Atmos frequency, that some people understood or just didn't. And after all it is exactly that makes Atmos music stand out and that makes it so hard for me to put his music into words. I've known Atmos since his very first release on EVE records, I bought "Rebirth of Cavanough" and listened to it almost every day for years and the same goes for Headcleaner and other Atmos releases. Thus the Atmos Frequency became the bassline of my live, the eternal soundtrack in my head, or to quote the master himself, "THE DRUMS DON"T STOP".

Now, like everyone else has mentioned here, Atmos changed his style, his beats became a lot more techy and housey, the songs arent as boucey and long anymore, and where Atmos used to play with the empty spaces between the carefully crafted sounds on Headcleaner, he now creates soundscapes that are a lot more dense and thick. Its like Headcleaner decompressed time while 2nd brigade compresses time. For example the kicks on Headcleaner where long and synthetic while on 2nd Brigade they are a clear thump in the face. The percussion on Headcleaner were Atmos trademark laidback breakbeat snares while 2nd brigade uses mostly techno hi-hats that create a very dense driving feeling.

But above all it is still there, the Atmos frequency. There is something about his "sound architecture" and arrangement, the effortless skill and precision with which he constructs his tracks that make them more then music, they become part of the background and the fabric of the world around us. Listen to Metro Deluxe or Raumwelt Signal and feel how they just "are", there is no way of describing them, every sound makes sense, the soul immerses itself with the music.

There are tracks on 2nd Brigade that I would put in this category, tracks that just "are", namely Raumwelt Signal, Al Bummer, Metro Deluxe and Umbau.

And then there is the second category, the goosebumps tracks that lift the spirit to new heights and unheardof ease, just beatiful without the slightest hint of cheese, KNS, Ordinary weekend and the standout hit Transmission in Vain that reminds me so much of my first encounter with Atmos "Rebirth of Cavanough".

During the last 3 years i had not heard much new of Atmos, but only now do I realize how much I missed him. This has been the best year for progressive psy in years, but sorry Son Kite, Freq, Kooler or Vision and CAnedy, you all are great, but you dont connect to me the way Atmos does. Probably because you dont have the Atmos frequency...

Thank you very much.

Damn, that kinda says it all...

Tune in to the Atmos-frequency!

Why the hell don't you post more reviews like that here???

I don't even visit Isratrance, but if there's more reviews like this out there, maybe I should?

I consider this album my favourite release of all time.

To me it was a classic cd from the very first listen that has stood the test of time. I own hundereds of cd's and if i have go find one to play this is usually what i end up playing.

Very much looking forward to the new release coming out soon.

• 1 month later...

Nice to see all the positive feedback on this amazing album!! I luv it.

Following from my review on discogs.

While I was never an all-in fan of Atmos' first album Headcleaner, the style here being one layer too naked for my taste, I surely could appreciate the new ideas Thomasz Balicki entered the scene with. Long build ups over long tracks and with a climax nothing but a simple melody repeated over and over. So naked once in a while it could have me wondering whether music needed to contain more elements? Or was I wrong?! Cause I mean when it worked, it worked nonetheless!

2nd Brigade is built on the same line of thoughts, only I think Atmos goes a darker here, and it suits this music very well. If Headcleaner didn't exactly fit my taste, I am much happier with 2nd Brigade! The music is still very bare but where Headcleaner became the definition of minimalistic trance, 2B is larger in sound, more aggressive, and deeper. It's the sort of music you put on and then maybe not notice until you all of a sudden become aware that you have been in a trance for the last half hour. That's when you think: Whow, is this guy genius or what's the story here?!

Someone made a comparison between Son Kite and a bordeaux red wine. Very enjoyable and with an after taste sometimes more important than the first taste. Ticon was compared to beer - head on and consumerable in loads. Atmos was champagne. Fine sparkling bubbles and a sophisticated taste. I think that's a brilliant metaphor for Atmos' music (and the other artists for that matter).

If Headcleaner represents the first and daring steps into minimal trance land and stripped naked, Atmos is at home on 2nd Brigade and all the pieces fit together. Don't be without it. This is the best stuff Thomas has given us so far.

• 2 years later...

I wonder if Mr. Atmos knew when he was making 'Transmission in Vain' that how would that affect a psytrance listenener. Cause i find that track very special cause of the feeling and emotions it brings out.

Its not just good sounding samples, kicks, melodies combined together but its looked from a very different perspective. Its like concentrated on not the sounding part of it but the feeling part of track, which in my opinion is quite difficult as everyone might have different feelings.

I wonder if Mr. Atmos knew when he was making 'Transmission in Vain' that how would that affect a psytrance listenener. Cause i find that track very special cause of the feeling and emotions it brings out.

Its not just good sounding samples, kicks, melodies combined together but its looked from a very different perspective. Its like concentrated on not the sounding part of it but the feeling part of track, which in my opinion is quite difficult as everyone might have different feelings.

Yeah, that track gave me a wonderful feeling as well! Very different from anything ells.. Love it :wub:

• 4 years later...

I've never heard Headcleaner.

I see Atmos and see the early years of the millennium and I think it will be the style I don't want to hear. Very close minded. Well that ends now.

Normally if I saw repetitively boring minimal walking down the street I would run to the other side and tell my kids not to look. I don't want them learning any bad habits. More bad habits I mean. And I still feel that way. In my opinion this is an album of contradictions and balance. Yes it is repetitive, but I like the little touches he puts in there on some of the tracks. It adds to the dark atmosphere like the bass riff in Al Bummer. KNS has a progressive house vibe shedding some nice light on a post rainy afternoon that lends itself to bouncing. But it also has some ridiculous vocal sample that I really cannot tolerate. See, contradictions.

There is some very generic progressive filler like Metro Deluxe and Umbau that adds nothing to the conversation While Scent of a Tunnel had floating pads that comfort it's also the same thing. For 9 minutes. When I start playing with belly button lint it's time to move on. Even the track which is the consensus standout, Transmission in Vain while nice doesn't really hold up well. Truth be told I liked Ordinary Weekend as much if not more.

It's not minimal trance but more of a progressive feel. There were parts in some tracks that I really liked, but too much repetitive filler. When this came out over 8 years ago it was probably just what the doctor ordered, but nothing essential today.

Mdk

• 1 month later...

Atmos - 2nd Brigade (2004)

This is Atmos as we know it. To my experience it's like "headcleaner" his debut album

from 2001 but with more warm, more emotional melodies, and a less softer baselines .

All is still very gentle and the approach is still minimal. I'm a fan off Atmos so I'm glad

he stays with his formula. Why change if it's good. People who like Atmos will

defenitaly like this album. But it's 2004 and progressive is starting to evolve in

a different and often a more melodic way. So that's not what you can expect.

Conclusion, highly recommended for Atmos fans.

Discogs: http://www.discogs.c...de/master/33998