Am i being too critic?

i've been steadily listening psy for 3 years more or less and my music folder isn't really long. i have 394 "playable" tracks + 54 that i wont ever play but wanna have. it wouldn't be a problem if it was just for my amusent but i'm thinking of making this mroe seriously and the growing ratio of my folder is low. i don't know if my standards are too high after having my mind blown away so many times or if this is a common thing. sometimes happens that the track is a solid GOOD but something is missing there for me to download it. 

i listened to this some minutes ago and really couldn't decide if it was worth it. it is well produced, it is coherent, it is somehow pleasent but i lacks something (IMO)

do you guys have a worthiness proof method or somthing? 

Thanks

I would say this is how things are. It very easy to find music that is of high quality, good mastering, crisp sounds, following the pattern of each genre, having all the ingredients etc etc. 

But that's not what makes good music. Good music is whatever moves you and that you have to find on your own. Because it is so easy  cheap to produce electronic music these days, feeling is what they lack IMO.

• Like 1

Well, it's simple. It all comes down to one thing - does the track move me or not? I can listen to a track and somehow enjoy it but I always ask myself - would I want to listen to this exact track (not just a random track in similar style with similar elements) again? More often than not the answer is "no". There is so much music already released to date in the genres that potentially interest me, life is to short to spend your time on "nice but nothing special" stuff :)

The track you posted is just that imo, ncie but nothing special. Good atmosphere but it lacks some memorable melodies or sounds, or some other things that would make it stand out.

I also agree with this. Well, actually producing a professionally sounding track having all the genre-defining elements is not easy at all. But, the complexity of the production, the efforts needed to make your music fitting the current trends, which again mostly comes down to the production aspects, can easily kill all the creativity, i think this is why there is so much of prefectly produced but totally unmemorable music.

44 minutes ago, thanosp81 said:

I would say this is how things are. It very easy to find music that is of high quality, good mastering, crisp sounds, following the pattern of each genre, having all the ingredients etc etc. 

But that's not what makes good music. Good music is whatever moves you and that you have to find on your own. Because it is so easy  cheap to produce electronic music these days, feeling is what they lack IMO.

394 tracks is still a lot. As far as I am concerned, I think this is normal to be that picky. I listen to a lot of music, and probably really like 5% of it, at best.  

The Aquasphere track is in these 5% by the way :) 

10 hours ago, thanosp81 said:

Quoted for truth.

Well, i guess it just depends on the overall context. In more melodic tracks the bassline key changes support the melody, that's not a trick but something that should normally happen. In more noisy/atonal tracks this probably may indeed sound out of place. But generally everything may sound awkward or may sound great, depending on the artists' skill and taste. 

On 6/22/2018 at 5:09 AM, thanosp81 said:

But that's not what makes good music. Good music is whatever moves you an0sthat you have to find on your own. Because it is so easy  cheap to produce electronic music these days, feeling is what they lack IMO.

On 6/22/2018 at 6:07 AM, recursion loop said:

Well, it's simple. It all comes down to one thing - does the track move me or not? I can listen to a track and somehow enjoy it but I always ask myself - would I want to listen to this exact track (not just a random track in similar style with similar elements) again? More often than not the answer is "no". There is so much music already released to date in the genres that potentially interest me, life is to short to spend your time on "nice but nothing special" stuff :)

The track you posted is just that imo, ncie but nothing special. Good atmosphere but it lacks some memorable melodies or sounds, or some other things that would make it stand out.

I also agree with this. Well, actually producing a professionally sounding track having all the genre-defining elements is not easy at all. But, the complexity of the production, the efforts needed to make your music fitting the current trends, which again mostly comes down to the production aspects, can easily kill all the creativity, i think this is why there is so much of prefectly produced but totally unmemorable music.

as both of you said, sometimes i find perfect production for a completely formulaic artist. it makes me revalue the track because so much effort and knowledge can't be 'wasted' in such tracks, but most of the times is just that: unmemorable music. i found many excellent old goa tracks despite the lousy production. but i can recognize a good idea even if its underproduced. it stands out by itself. 

On 6/22/2018 at 7:31 AM, Manuser said:

394 tracks is still a lot. As far as I am concerned, I think this is normal to be that picky. I listen to a lot of music, and probably really like 5% of it, at best.  

The Aquasphere track is in these 5% by the way :)

almost 400 tracks is a good number. the thing is that, in order to understand goa and psy, i did some kind of extensive listening (ignoring almost anything between 2005-2018)

and the result is 400 tracks of the most varied nature, so mixing is quite complicated. sometimes this clash between cristal clear production and amateurish production makes mixes sound horrible so not only do i have to find tracks that match, but also tracks with similar key, bpm, and production quality which narrows the posibilities A LOT.

OTHER THING: you know how a track can grow in you? how a track that you thought forgettable becomes better and better as you listen to it repetedly? well, that's another worry of mine. what if i missing a gem because of the '1-time-listen' caused by the infinite ammount of material available. 

On 6/22/2018 at 6:29 PM, Redo said:

Nothing wrong with being picky, why listen to mediocre music when you have ~400 amazing songs?

If you're bored of listening to the same songs and want to expand your library, try listening to different genres, whether that's sub-genres of psytrance that you rarely listen to, or different genres altogether. You can try going through Ektoplazm and listen to random extremely highly rated albums.

Also try these websites:

https://musicmap.info/

http://everynoise.com/engenremap.html

When it comes to worthiness, I usually look at whether a song is too repetitive, whether it uses key changes (I really hate them, they always sound awkward and distracting), whether it's structured properly (a lot of psytrance sounds amateurish), and finally whether it uses annoying samples. If it passes those tests then chances are I will like it.

i hate annoying samples, i hate repetitiveness that leads to nowhere. i hate banging psy just for the sake of banging. and most of nowadays psy sounds the same to me. 

i opened to other subgenres: goa is great but i would like to see someone succesfully bring goa to 2018 (no, neogoa is not the answer imo), darkpsy is not for me (yet?), same goes for hitech. nithzonot and nithzogoa gives me an awkward feeling. zenoneque is really cool but i grow tired rapidly. any other suggestiop is welcomed. 

thanks for the random ektoplazm advice. will do.

On 6/23/2018 at 11:18 AM, Manuser said:

I wish there was more key changes :) It is either a way to support a melody nicely, or surprise the listener.

Tromesa (Nowina) surprised me big time the first time I heard it: 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a13V6z3my_Q

Nowina is an excellent track. also loved owig weg - tromesa. more technoish but still awesome. one half of tromesa produced under the name of bigwigs. again, more technoish and kinda industrial (would love to find more industrial psy like this)