am interested why no one here is talking about the brit's opting out of the EU?

technosomy

It's also a big shame the government decided against lowering the voting age because it would have been too expensive.

I think the majority of 16 & 17 year olds would have voted to stay.

I just hope when the old racists who voted to leave finally die, the country will be afforded the chance to rejoin (assuming that things do in fact decline in Britain)

Pound dropped 6.5% in less than 10 hours..

i've seen it drop 10% (compared to usd. the euro has also gone down a little) in one hour or so last night when it became clear that the brits voted for brexit. it's a little better now already.

it's obvious that it was a bad decision for britain (it might even become "little" instead of "great britain" if the scots and the northern ireland decide to leave the uk (yeah, i know the island is the thing that's called great britain, but whatever ;) )), especially with their reliance on being the largest base for the finanacial industry for europe — that questionable honor will undoubtedly go to frankfurt in the future — the whole trade stuff, science funding, etc...

the uk will now likely have similar agreements as norwegen or switzerland have. so basically they'll have to pay money to participate in some of the eu's agreements without having a say when the respective regulations are decided.

but i think it's a chance for the european union. first of all the eu will not be blocked by the brits anymore who have always been against a higher political integration, common social standards and basically anything that could counterbalance the advantages the eu provides for businesses (as opposed to the working populace).

also brexit is like a kick in the ass for all pro-european politicians in the eu. so there's an added impetus to finally tackle the problems that everyone knows are present now: lack of democratic structures in the eu institutions, a tendency for eu institutions to block themselves making decisionmaking hard or even impossible, a tendency for single countries to fuck up decisionmaking for the whole eu when it's opportunate for your own election at home, the adherance to economic policies that evidently don't work - increasing the disparity in wealth/income and creating an environment where countries compete for having the worst conditions for workers and the lowest taxes for those who could contribute a lot (mainly multinational corporations but also the extremely wealthy) - etc, etc...

i'm not too optimistic with a conservative president of the commision and a conservative majority in the parliament, but there is hope that even those people see the signs and the urgency of the situation.

on the other hand a brexit is also a victory for xenophobia, nationalists and generally the preachers of hate. far right parties across europe are already trying to ride the wave now. but i am confident that the people on the continent feel much more in the middle of things and see the advantages of the eu as well as the isolation they'd face if they left. especially if we really see some meaningful reforms now.

• Like 1

It's also a big shame the government decided against lowering the voting age because it would have been too expensive.

I think the majority of 16 & 17 year olds would have voted to stay.

I just hope when the old racists who voted to leave finally die, the country will be afforded the chance to rejoin (assuming that things do in fact decline in Britain)

but you know all those extra-agreements and opt-outs that the uk had wouldn't be possible now. if they rejoin there will be no option to keep the pound, the opt-out of schengen to opt-out of the european human rights charta (seriously, wtf britain?), no discount on the membership fee...

i doubt you'd get a majority that that anytime soon. the uk has been massively cherrypicking up to now.

Yeah, but it would serve us right for being such dicks in the first place.

Oh well, I'm off to apply for my Irish passport so I can be European again. Seriously, wtf Britain? Why the hell would people not want to be a European citizen? Oh yeah, you're backwards xenophobic phucks!!!

Super funny how many exit voters already regret their choice: the day afther.

Now that it is clear yes voters where being lied too. Really, being lied too or were they too lazy to inform themselves properly - lol!

They deserve an exit: no way back if you don't want to earn democracy.

There's a tiny chance of a second referendum but if the people who wanted to stay couldn't be bothered to vote the first time, they don't really deserve a second chance. What we really need is for the queen to step in and say (read it in her voice) "you're a bunch of cretins, I must overturn this fucktardery"

Neither is likely though.

There are reports of idiots in Britain telling Indians and Pakistanis to get out now they have to :huh:

Just goes to show how stupid these people are. What the hell would the EU have to do with immigrants from outside the EU? Smh

There are reports of idiots in Britain telling Indians and Pakistanis to get out now they have to :huh:

Just goes to show how stupid these people are. What the hell would the EU have to do with immigrants from outside the EU? Smh

they confuse the eu with the commonwealth of nations?

those people really are the same (and too many) everywhere. over here they turn to conspiracy theories about the elites wanting to replace the indigenous population with arabs, faking election results to achieve that and using chemtrails to influence voting behaviour, simply because they didn't win the presidential election.

i don't think the real reason for all of this is apparent yet

but you can expect alot of sanctions etc soon.... until the real plan is unveiled (unrest and diversion for a much bigger picture)

might want to read a huxley or orwell book, but by then it will prob be to late..... may want to check out what has happened to the C.I.A.... i mean, anonymous lately!

Interesting post I read on the Guardian website

If Boris Johnson looked downbeat yesterday, that is because he realises that he has lost.

Perhaps many Brexiters do not realise it yet, but they have actually lost, and it is all down to one man: David Cameron.

With one fell swoop yesterday at 9:15 am, Cameron effectively annulled the referendum result, and simultaneously destroyed the political careers of Boris Johnson, Michael Gove and leading Brexiters who cost him so much anguish, not to mention his premiership.

How?

Throughout the campaign, Cameron had repeatedly said that a vote for leave would lead to triggering Article 50 straight away. Whether implicitly or explicitly, the image was clear: he would be giving that notice under Article 50 the morning after a vote to leave. Whether that was scaremongering or not is a bit moot now but, in the midst of the sentimental nautical references of his speech yesterday, he quietly abandoned that position and handed the responsibility over to his successor.

And as the day wore on, the enormity of that step started to sink in: the markets, Sterling, Scotland, the Irish border, the Gibraltar border, the frontier at Calais, the need to continue compliance with all EU regulations for a free market, re-issuing passports, Brits abroad, EU citizens in Britain, the mountain of legistlation to be torn up and rewritten ... the list grew and grew.

The referendum result is not binding. It is advisory. Parliament is not bound to commit itself in that same direction.

The Conservative party election that Cameron triggered will now have one question looming over it: will you, if elected as party leader, trigger the notice under Article 50?

Who will want to have the responsibility of all those ramifications and consequences on his/her head and shoulders?

Boris Johnson knew this yesterday, when he emerged subdued from his home and was even more subdued at the press conference. He has been out-maneouvered and check-mated.

If he runs for leadership of the party, and then fails to follow through on triggering Article 50, then he is finished. If he does not run and effectively abandons the field, then he is finished. If he runs, wins and pulls the UK out of the EU, then it will all be over - Scotland will break away, there will be upheaval in Ireland, a recession ... broken trade agreements. Then he is also finished. Boris Johnson knows all of this. When he acts like the dumb blond it is just that: an act.

The Brexit leaders now have a result that they cannot use. For them, leadership of the Tory party has become a poison chalice.

When Boris Johnson said there was no need to trigger Article 50 straight away, what he really meant to say was "never". When Michael Gove went on and on about "informal negotiations" ... why? why not the formal ones straight away? ... he also meant not triggering the formal departure. They both know what a formal demarche would mean: an irreversible step that neither of them is prepared to take.

All that remains is for someone to have the guts to stand up and say that Brexit is unachievable in reality without an enormous amount of pain and destruction, that cannot be borne. And David Cameron has put the onus of making that statement on the heads of the people who led the Brexit campaign.

• Like 2

Creepy. It says in the comments that it is from BBC homepage, didn't find it though.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1302313929797464&set=a.194664647229070.51495.100000566090146&type=3&theater

Creepy. It says in the comments that it is from BBC homepage, didn't find it though.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1302313929797464&set=a.194664647229070.51495.100000566090146&type=3&theater

I like how the 1992 one is in black and white, you know, because it's old :lol:

• Like 1

:o

So all who voted yes are having progressively deteriorating behaviour :P people are being too harsh on the yes-voters.

Oh and there are been such innovative posts about this thing! My god :D one post is asking U.K to chillax and join India to form a union. How the fuck about that ;) ( economic union. )

Also, there was a very nice article shared by Drezz. Let me look it up.

I like how the 1992 one is in black and white, you know, because it's old :lol:

Don't reveal the hoax ;)

Btw, it would be awesome -even though an utopia- that Scotland would join the Nordic countries and there'd be a new northern union which has a historical basis called Kalmar Union https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kalmar_UnionThis new union would make it even to G7 :)

As a matter of fact I read from a Finnish newspaper that the Scot language is a derivative of ancient Norwegian: bairn (child), midden (stupid), muckle (big). Also they say that the word kilt has its origins in the Norwegian verb "kjalta" that means "to fold". The heritage can be seen in a Up Helly Aa fire festival in Shetland islands where they burn a viking ship.

Nevertheless I don't want Sexit (Suomi exit) for the time being.

Next stop: Italy?

It is today all over in the news in Finland that Italian banks are about to collapse. Italy could seek EU subsidiaries but that's inevitably gonna lead to even bigger of a crisis than Brexit. I don't think the central and northern EU states want to prop up weak Mediterranean countries anymore that seem to fall one by one.