Tinnitus /constant ringing in the ears

Quazzi

I get a kind of simulation of it when I get a cold. A constant ringing in my ears in silent conditions that can become deafening. I'm lucky because it only lasts a week but it makes me terrified to abuse my ears with overly loud music.

• 1 year later...

After attending parties for years without ever having any real problems, I did an absolute number on my ears at a party I went to in December. Four and a half weeks later I still have loud tinnitus in my left ear, which tends to get worse in the evenings. Seriously people, wear hearing protection at gigs.

• Sad 1

It mostly comes after heavy nights of listening to loud musics, sometime takes time to vanish. At Connection this year,  the sound was quite loud and there wasn't many room to escape it, especially the bass and kick would overload my ears to the point of it becoming an issue. I would always go to sleep with a heavy buzzing in my ears and was quite worried about it. A friend lend me some earplugs protection and it saved me, though the sound was less enjoyable, at least I could listen to it without feeling bad about hurting myself. 

I don't know if there are selling points for hearing protections in festival usually but it should be mandatory. And the sound doesn't always need to be so loud, excess is a thing, especially if the place doesn't have the space needed to find your sweet spot (both for balance and loudness).

I might still have a very low tinnitus, that I can only hear when there is zero sound around me, but very low and it doesn't bother me (I might concentrate to hear it). Also, don't use earplugs headphones, a friend of mine got deaf in one ear with those shitty things (and the shitty mp3 quality) (he overused them but still). 

--- 

If someone has some nice earplugs protection to share, please do! (all links in page one are dead) 

• 4 weeks later...

Place the palms of your hands over your ears with fingers resting gently on the back of your head. Your middle fingers should point toward one another just above the base of your skull. Place your index fingers on top of you middle fingers and snap them (the index fingers) onto the skull making a loud, drumming noise. Repeat 40-50 times. Some people experience immediate relief with this method. Repeat several times a day for as long as necessary to reduce tinnitus.

I too have bad tinnitus, mainly due to accidentally blasting ears while messing around with Garageband with headphones, and volume jumped to max..just a short burst, rattled headphones and both my ears are ringing for a year now..constant 13kHz and 3.3kHz tone both ears...esp when its quiet it sounds like a loud tube TV in room. Has affected my life...i have to keep moving/distracted so not to notice it. Caused months of depression, now I have accepted it is part of my living state.

This too happened to Makyo, and I feel for him.

https://www.psybient.org/love/interview-makyo-dakini-records/

So basically its hearing damage and there is no cure (so far all cures are snake oil)...best you can do is to protect your hearing and listen to gentle white noise to distract your brain from the buzzing in your head. The tapping trick helps to distract brain, its a temporary fix. I have had moulded ear plugs made to prevent further damage which I use for music festivals etc or when working with power tools.. There is also something called "decibel exchange rate"  which is the time you can spend in a noisy environment before hearing damage occurs. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Recently had a hearing test and my hearing's fine too apparently (the ear doctor also had me do an MRI scan that was also fine). The tinnitus is still quite bad, but has been relatively good for the past week - it seems to be correlated with the weather for some reason.

• 3 weeks later...

Ohh man, sorry to hear that... My tinnitus was definitely worse to begin with (after the "damage") but was moved much more into the "background" now, both in intensity but also in my awareness of it... So there should hopefully be light at the end of the tunnel!!!

• 1 year later...