What would be the proper income to have a good living througout the year?

radi6404

So as I thought about it when I made a post in the Astral Projection thread, I am asking people here, what the minimal income would be, to have a good living throughout the year, not a luxurious one, but not a poor one aswell. For me it would be about 12 000 if I had to pay rent for a small apartment somewhere in a German based country, maybe a bit more in Switzerland. If I had my own apartment, where I don´t have to pay anything, 6000 to 8000 would be more than enough. 8000 would be plentyful. If you live alone and can handle money well and know what costs a lot of money, you can live with little money. ONe person in Germany would barely need more than 200 for eating and drinking at home. If he would go out, additional money would be required, but for eating and drinking 200 is plentyful for only one person. The rest of the money could be divided for going out, for electronical gadgets, music, and books. 100 to 150 would be required for costs like internet, phone, heating, electrcity and the likes. So without the rent for a flat, a person in a german based country could live with 500 to 700 . In some regions 500 would be enough, in other areas 700 would be required. That is at least what I think, but I have not tested it, maybe more is required. The only thing I see is that very little money is required for food and drinks, when someone is alone. a salat, tomates, onions, cheese and other products last weeks when I am alone and I eat very well and healthy. Therefore foot and drinks aren´t that expensive fortunately and I hope it will stay like that. In the worst case you can grow some stuff in your own room if you want. That way I am wondering, how much an artist would need to make a living throughout a year. I guess 15 000 e is more than sufficient for one person in many parts of the world. In eastern europe for example an artist could have a good living with 5000 a year or less.

For me it would be about 12 000 if I had to pay rent for a small apartment somewhere in a German based country

that's 1000€ per month. yikes, well, fuck the rates for an apartment in vienna. if you can't get one of the subsidiarised flats, it's almost impossible to pay below 500€. and for a nice apartment (that's not in those old buildings that raise your heating bill above the rent) you'll rather have to calculate with 800€. that's almost double of what you pay anywhere else in austria.

To live decently in Belgium, you should have at least 1300€ per month... Unless you live as I live... We rent a house with several people, because of sharing all, we only pay 300€ rent and gas/water included :) That's a great deal, which means I can live how I want for 1000€ a month. And I am still able to save money, travel as much as I want etc :)

Rent alone in London is 1300/£1100 month, for our tiny studio aptmemt :/

Won't talk about Australia as its hard to convert but will say it is even more expensive to live than London with lower wages..

Australia sucks right now and I think the current government is making things much harder for low to middle income earners. Is say in australia if you're single you'd wanna be on $60-70K per year to be ok. $80-100K to be comfortable. My bro in law is a partner at a top law firm and with 4 kids plus wife working part time is really struggling to make ends meet.

that's 1000€ per month. yikes, well, fuck the rates for an apartment in vienna. if you can't get one of the subsidiarised flats, it's almost impossible to pay below 500€. and for a nice apartment (that's not in those old buildings that raise your heating bill above the rent) you'll rather have to calculate with 800€. that's almost double of what you pay anywhere else in austria.

So why don´t you go to a different place in Austria? Austria is such a nice country with so many interesting places to be in the alps, it is one of my dream countries. Kernten Salzburg area is impressive, but also Lienz and other areas are great to live. But if you have your work in Vienna, I understand that you stay in Vienna.

At the company I work at in South africa ,the average mid-level income is 10000 - 16000 Rands per month , which works out to $938 - $1500.

Lower level start - off salary for a permanent employee is $190 per month. Rent at my flat is $450 per month. Luckily i have a scooter that i use to travel with everyday which helps me to save.

So why don´t you go to a different place in Austria? Austria is such a nice country with so many interesting places to be in the alps, it is one of my dream countries. Kernten Salzburg area is impressive, but also Lienz and other areas are great to live. But if you have your work in Vienna, I understand that you stay in Vienna.

as soon as i have my degree, i'll be moving to a nicer place.

but certainly not kärnten or salzburg. the best places to live in austria imho are linz and graz. there you have all the advantages of living in the city (everything's nearby, anonymity when you want it, ...) without the disadvantages of vienna (it takes you forever to go anywhere in the city, it's grey and depressing, you have anonymity whether you want it or not, ...)

Linz is indeed a good pace to be. I am not sure about Graz. If I were in Austria, I would want to see some mountains, but I think you can see the mountains from Linz and from Graz. Austria has such a great landscape in my opinion. A really great country to listen and enjoy music. The landscape makes listening trance a real pleasure, but south Germany is also very nice, it has some steep mountains and big meadows, however not as good as Austria. In my opinion big meadows with steep mountains in the distance and a big lake is incredible for listening goa trance. Not far away from Linz there are steep mountains and big lakes. An impressive place in Austria is Hallstatt, great mountains, but far away from Linz. Another gerat place in my opinion is around Villach. Really wild and steep mountains. But that is Kärnten and you don´t want to live in Kärnten. One question, do you like your country and it´s landscape?

we've had the landscape discussion before and i still prefer more or less flat landscapes (mountains are ok if they keep a distance). so the alpenvorland is fine with me, but i'd rather not live in a town just a bit south like gmunden with the mountains on your doorstep or in the intensely ugly landscape north of the danube, where there's no flat space at all.

austria is a decent place, laid back for western/central europe, but i hate the conservate mindset. regarding climate, i would ideally drop one of those cities in a tropical landscape somewhere in southeast asia :D

gmunden is the town I was talking which has mountains and a big lake. Impressive landscape in my opnion. The landscape north of the danube looks strange on the map, I have not seen it in real live, but it seems very hilly and the hills are rather small. Anyway, what do you mean with we had the landscape discussion before? Do you mean by that, that it is wrong I started it again. Maybe I forgot that we had that discussion, I remember that I talked about landscape with RTP, but not with you.

that's the landscape up there:

800px-Buchberg_bei_Lasberg.JPG

ulgy, isn't it? it's just hills (most with a farmhouse on top) as far as the eye can see, which isn't very far at all.

i certainly was also involved back then. as far as i remember you were a bit upset that i preferred the hungarian puszta to the mountains in your bulgarian mountains thread ;)

i don't mind discussing landscape again, although we're definitely offtopic in this thread, but whatever :)

Aktually the landscape on that picture doesn´t look ugly at all, altough the Alps are much better. I was at the alps this weekend in Oberstdorf, nice mountains there. I hope you can move away from Vienna if you want and move to Linz. Vienna is expensive as you say, I don´t like expensive cities at all. In the German Alps for example prices for foot are lower than in the area I am. While a sandwich with meat costs 2,60 there, it costs up to 3,50 here.

It really depends on what country and in which part of the country you live in:

When I lived in Newcastle my Rent was 200 GBP and when I lived in London it was 650GBP. So this is a huge difference within the same country.

I struggled in London with 1100GBP per month (internship), while with a part time job of ~600GBP in Newcastle I could do whatever the heck I wanted.

Now in Greece I make about 1000 eur per month, it's good if you think about the fact that the average motnhly income of 90% of my mates is ZERO and I live with my family.

My GF makes about the same but she also has 250 eur rent, but she's coping fine and we go to a lot of concerts,parties and have a small trip every now and then.

Before 2009 we both made closer to 1500 eur per month and everything was cheaper then: gas, food, tolls, electricity, taxation, cigarretes (although we don't smoke), alchohol. So it's not just that we've lost income, things are also more expensive.

In India with 200eur per month you could be considered rich. While in London, Japan, Australia, Luxemburg, Norway, Switzerland with 2000eur you'd probably struggle.

When I was in Australia and I told people that in Greece I worked in a bank and earned about 1700 AUD per month they couldn't believe that a person can earn so little while in India when I told people that I make over 50 thousand rupees per month, they looked at me as if I was a milionaire.