Music genres that outside people confuse with Goa/Psy

Ormion

We all know some guy that listens to Astral Projection and say 'Oh, that's techno', don't we? Do you know other styles that people outside of the scene confuse Goa/Psy with?

Here in Greece we have the uplifting trance. For those who don't know uplifting (an ultra-cheesy version of nitzhonot) was HUUUUUGE for a 2-3 years period around 1999-2002 and of course everybody called that Psytrance. Yesterday I just realized that even today when uplifting is basically dead people still confuse it with Psy. When I told to an internet friend that I listen to Psy he replied 'Oh Psytrance. You reminded me all the good times I had with napster and Cherouvim (an uplifting artist)'.

I was like 'not this shit again'.

Any stories to share?

no stories, but i have spoken to so many people who brag, how COOL psytrance is because they went to this AWSOME festival

and i played, di witness to them, i played power source and fileteria, and lo behold were not intrerested, and couldn't distinguish between them.

these are people i had worked with, who would not normally associate for various reasons!

In two different situations people have asked me 'is the CD broken?', and you could see they're not joking but quite concerned. I guess they've confused psytrance not with other genre, but with mechanical failure ;) / <_< .

:lol:

In two different situations people have asked me 'is the CD broken?', and you could see they're not joking but quite concerned. I guess they've confused psytrance not with other genre, but with mechanical failure ;) / <_< .

First time i listened to Angelic particals I did think the CD was broken at the end of the track :ph34r:

First time i listened to Angelic particals I did think the CD was broken at the end of the track :ph34r:

Happens to the best ;)

Good timing with this comment - I've just listened to Artifakt's 'Artifakts' (wow, psyception here) and someone please help me with track no. 4 'The Pimp' - does it suppose to skip like this towards the end or read my previous post? It's Artifact so my vote goes to the first option, but I'd rather be sure :wacko:

I know a genre that (newer) people _inside_ the scene confuse with goa/psy trance: progressive trance. :D:wacko::ph34r:

Although that might really be more a case of "who cares?" than a real confusion.

So are they getting confused or not, cause I'm a bit confused there right now...

Once I loaded Distance to Goa 3 mix CD which starts with X-Dream's "The Second Room". I had some other, more melodic CD in my mind and I thought the player was totally borked...

Totally ignorant people.

Totally ignorant people.

Only If by 'ignorant' You mean people who don't listen to any kind of electronic music and don't know the concept of it.

I remember listening for the first time to some grime music and thinking I'll wait for the final version, cause it's rough and missing lots of stuff. Well, it was the whole song made by one of the genre-stars.

Some are really confusing the terms, others just don't care. Deconfused? :P

Consider me mainly deconfused ;).

I recently played a friend some Hungarian hi-tek psycore and at the end he asked me if it was Scandinavian forest psy. I kicked him in the bollocks and raped his cat.

Your humor always cracks me up Rotwang :D

I've only encountered the typical 'That's Techno', but then again to the majority of all people all edm in 4/4 sounds like Techno.

I've only encountered the typical 'That's Techno', but then again to the majority of all people all edm in 4/4 sounds like Techno.

I don't think it's that it sounds like techno, in the sense that people here use the word - rather, it's that the word "techno" is used to mean any kind of EDM by people outside the culture.

I don't think it's that it sounds like techno, in the sense that people here use the word - rather, it's that the word "techno" is used to mean any kind of EDM by people outside the culture.

Techno and Rave.

Well, you could argue that "goa" used to mean a huge range of hippie and electronic genres until the scene redefined it only to mean a certain branch of fast, acidic trance with deities and fractal art on covers...