My rant on psytrance...

Oopie

:D

Maybe rant is not the right word but enough to caught your attention?

Anyway to cut to the chase:

Here's full-on...

edc08%20246.jpg

tech-trance...

photo-building-big.jpg

nu-skool goa...

img1346690884.jpg

suomi...

Mad-Scientist--70875.jpg

forest...

Research_Logs.jpg

dark-psy/high-tek...

fast_horse_riding.jpg

But where the F is this bugger?

14diviner_of_psychedelic_magic1.jpg

Did Hallucinogen close the portal in 1997?

Many thanks for your time and reading.

The topic's main point is that I feel often that whatever the genre, producers are victims of categorizing themselves into a small niche - there's a certain need to belong to a group and this gives pressure to follow the what one could call 'unwritten rules' of the specific genre. Hence, most of the material is rather homogeneous.

Just like Simon Posford was on the verge of inventing something new when listening to Hardfloor on acid in 1993, I'm also having thoughts of the possible future of psytrance. I feel it's coming largely more popular and hence, most of the music tends to follow the direction of 'lowest common denominator' where producers try to find tricks NOT to sound as psychedelic as possible, but to sound as catchy as possible. So the main direction on the larger scale for psytrance is to variate looking for the most simple, catchy hooks to attract wider crowds. This applies to all genres dare I say. :unsure:

But I DO hope, for the sake of the magic that great psytrance can have on human - it can make us vibrate on a whole new level and little by little alter our consciousness into new realms - that if you're a bedroom producer out there...listen!

Don't care if they first reject your vision. If you have a positive feeling inside of you then that's good enough a sign to know you're on a right path. Be patient if you're idea doesn't physically manifest very easily - creating something new is always a tricky business as there's no guide other than your own mind. And for fuck sake, listen to something else than psytrance once in a while to freshen up your insight on this music. BELIEVE in yourself. That's the most important.

There's only a handful of really original artists out there at the moment I reckon. And the common factor is they had the balls to suck in the beginning...

as you can see:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GrLa70qM1QU

A year later:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mqsWnEvh9Gk

Bom

I think a possible future of the genre could be a return to a rawer hardware-based sound. That's something that still hasn't been explored on a larger scale. Could you imagine your favorite producers doing 10-30min hardware jams? Could be absolutely amazing. I sadly think most people are too scared to do it. To give up control like that. It will take someone real special to create that much needed dent in psy-reality.

But where the F is this bugger?

14diviner_of_psychedelic_magic1.jpg

Did Hallucinogen close the portal in 1997?

Many thanks for your time and reading.

haha! I like your interpretations with the photos. also, well done with the Brian Exton photo ;D

anyone not familiar here is his site

http://picturerealm.co.uk/

which is the same guy who has done this photo which appears everywhere on the net now. when I first joined the boards in 2006, this was my avatar

land_of_psychedelic_illuminations.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

This is exactly how I feel as well, Oopie. Although I'm not quite sure I understand the forest image. :P

(Also: first post! :D )

Welcome to the forum friend. :)

Hey it's no problem... I'm doubtful if I understand any of the pictures I posted.

Oppie, to answer your question, Simon did close it. He will never come back and release a goa trance album, that is for sure, aft4er so many years passing I have given up hope a long time ago. And about the psytrance scene, it is as important to me as a raindrop falling in the biggest ocean on earth. The only important thing is that there are rtists like imba who create oldschool goa trance, that way I will listen their tracks, create some myself and don`t bother listening to the strange stuff out there.

The topic's main point is that I feel often that whatever the genre, producers are victims of categorizing themselves into a small niche - there's a certain need to belong to a group and this gives pressure to follow the what one could call 'unwritten rules' of the specific genre. Hence, most of the material is rather homogeneous.

Just like Simon Posford was on the verge of inventing something new when listening to Hardfloor on acid in 1993, I'm also having thoughts of the possible future of psytrance. I feel it's coming largely more popular and hence, most of the music tends to follow the direction of 'lowest common denominator' where producers try to find tricks NOT to sound as psychedelic as possible, but to sound as catchy as possible. So the main direction on the larger scale for psytrance is to variate looking for the most simple, catchy hooks to attract wider crowds. This applies to all genres dare I say. :unsure:

Yes and yes, although I have somewhat different thoughts aswell. There's a topic about innovations nearby that touches similar area. I think the word 'genre' sets the feeling already, producers like specific set of sounds and they want to do sth fitting, some of them just change melodies or rearrange percussion using the same samples (and we have all the 'generic' stuff), other add sth extra. And it's for the people who want to hear soundalikes because how many times can you listen to 4 example I.F.O. or Twisted (I know - the eternity ;) and you like this kind of sounds, so how can you get more of it?

- Offtopic - I'm amazed (or maybe I didn't stumble upon - help!) that there was/are lots of AP, Etnica or Transwave influenced tunes and early Infected Mushroom isn't being followed by many (Talpa, Misted Muppet, Nystagmus, and it was few years ago). Is there some kind of conspiracy forbidding this? On the other hand many people say early IM's stuff (mostly first two albums) is great and among the best. - End offtopic -

Twenty years in electronic music is a long time, the genres were made, rose up to it's peak and crumbled, mostly because people were fed up with the sounds. Old producers have changed their style or new wave of producers came and shifted gears and new genres were invented on the ashes of the old ones. Frankly I'm a bit astonished psytrance has survived that long, although in the beginning of the millenium it was close...

In the 90's was much more easier to invent new stuff, I think it's a bit paradoxical - back then few people could make music, mostly beacuse of hardware/money problems and the necessary knowledge behind it, but discovering area was broader. Nowadays almost anyone can make music, but You have to be realy good to find new approach.

Don't care if they first reject your vision. If you have a positive feeling inside of you then that's good enough a sign to know you're on a right path. Be patient if you're idea doesn't physically manifest very easily - creating something new is always a tricky business as there's no guide other than your own mind. And for fuck sake, listen to something else than psytrance once in a while to freshen up your insight on this music. BELIEVE in yourself. That's the most important.

+1, words of wisdom :). Just remember some producers just want to make great tunes, not shake the whole construction. It's like with trhe movies. We've all seen films about revenge or bank heist, but who doesn't want another good one :)?

{quote]Offtopic - I'm amazed (or maybe I didn't stumble upon - help!) that there was/are lots of AP, Etnica or Transwave influenced tunes and early Infected Mushroom isn't being followed by many (Talpa, Misted Muppet, Nystagmus, and it was few years ago). Is there some kind of conspiracy forbidding this? On the other hand many people say early IM's stuff (mostly first two albums) is great and among the best. - End offtopic - {

I will definatly check those out, anything similar to Astral, Etnica or IM is more than welcome, those are the masters.