how big is ur (digital) music collection?

Guest neurogen

Guest neurogen

Most of it is 100% goatrance, So Id like to think at least I have everything worth having in that genre. (except maybe some post-golden age stuff)

All the CDs I ever owned is also in this collection, and I have gotten rid of all physical music, so to speak.

Also - If i buy a CD i always do it digitally, if avaliable.

How about you guys? :)

Yes, go on, measure ur online penis and show it off

(i also remove every single piece of .m3u or .pls file, and all the albumcovers is also deleted from the music folder.)

Posted Image

22116 songs 112 days 273.45 GB

I haven't ripped all my CDs yet, and not in a proper loss-less way anyway, so I still listen to CDs when I really want appreciate the details and I don't have a good DAC so yet another reason...

and me personally have no problem with changing the disc once in a while.. but I think 80-90% of the time I am purely digital... :S so I should get a DAC...

Guest neurogen

22116 songs 112 days 273.45 GB

I haven't ripped all my CDs yet, and not in a proper loss-less way anyway, so I still listen to CDs when I really want appreciate the details and I don't have a good DAC so yet another reason...

and me personally have no problem with changing the disc once in a while.. but I think 80-90% of the time I am purely digital... :S so I should get a DAC...

DAC?

Im pretty sure you mean Digital to Analog converter.. but a CD is digital and mp3/flac whatever is also digitial so i dunno what a DAC would do for u :P

or did u mean something else?

edit: whats wrong with converting cd audio to flac using any of the millions of cd ripper software? :)

yes a digital-to-analog converter, well basically a basic soundcard has a shitty DAC and a good CD player has good DAC. I have a good CD player so there my ass is covered, on the other hand most of my digital music on computer is in mp3-format and it does not help that it is run through the computers DAC, so it would help to get a good DAC, but I would need to rip in loss-less before I will able to match my CD-player.. and I am too lazy for that!

Guest neurogen

yes a digital-to-analog converter, well basically a basic soundcard has a shitty DAC and a good CD player has good DAC. I have a good CD player so there my ass is covered, on the other hand most of my digital music on computer is in mp3-format and it does not help that it is run through the computers DAC, so it would help to get a good DAC, but I would need to rip in loss-less before I will able to match my CD-player.. and I am too lazy for that!

wow. Talk about worriying over nothing.

Just put the cd into your computer and rip it!

Or what did u plan to do with an external dac?

CD player (which has built in dac) -> external DAC - > computer (with built in shitty dac) - > .wav - > .flac?

Sorry but im trying to understand how a DAC would help you in any case.

And my final point, or question.. would be WHY?!

Do you believe you would hear any difference in the end result? :D

well short answer... a good DAC will improve mp3 (of decent bit rates) sound so that could be a reason to get one, but since I have much of my music as CDs and have a good CD-player I don't have the incentive to get one yet. But if you don't care for sound quality it will not help you! So that is why I have considered getting one.

and seriously... you don't just rip 800+ CDs... :P

Guest neurogen

well, if you own that many cds then of course you dont.

I never owned more than 100 or so in my whole life and most of them were long gone by the time i started building my digital collection.

Most (about 97%) of my collection is downloaded.

As for our discussion. There is NOT any difference in the audible quality of the end result.

If you rip a CD on your laptop directly to .wav then convert to flac..

Or using whatever external DAC u want using cables from your cd player, you are still left with the exact same conversion and digital destruction at the very end.

So the end result, i PROMISE will not be audible.

At all. And if there is any difference it will be so tiny and marginal it will go unoticed unless actively searching for it, and A/B listening to the same exact track.

Of course I care for quality, I dont have any mp3 below 192kbit (most is in 320), and those I do have, I keep only for the sake of keeping it for I cannot find it in any better quality.

So I dont think its fair you claiming I might not care for audio quality only because I dont see reason for buying a DAC :P

@neurogen: well I think your "facts" are very debatable... I have heard the difference so your promises does not really help ;) and no I have no plans to run cables from CD-player to the external DAC, that makes no sense!

and I didn't say you don't have to care for sound quality for not wanting to buy a dac, but that would be an obvious reason not to buy one...

Guest neurogen

@neurogen: well I think your "facts" are very debatable... I have heard the difference so your promises does not really help ;) and no I have no plans to run cables from CD-player to the external DAC, that makes no sense!

and I didn't say you don't have to care for sound quality for not wanting to buy a dac, but that would be an obvious reason not to buy one...

okay, lets agree to disagree then. And I cant argue if you claim you can hear the difference :)

Guest neurogen

You can rip your cds to mp3/wav/flac you know. :P

I understand youre trying to be ironic but im afraid i dont get it, im sorry!

cus i HAVE ripped my cds to flac, the ones i still had. :)

sorry for beeing boring and not getting ur joke :P

Guest neurogen

Digital? I think I have only bought 3 digital albums and compilations.

I'm a physical guy.

It wasn't a joke, neither irony. I have all my cds ripped in my pc. So whenever I don't want to change cds all the time I just listen to them from my pc.

ok - .- :(

Digital:

In library - 131 GB

Unsorted - 18 GB

On DVD's (also unsorted) - 100 GB

CDs: 50-60

Mostly electronica (Goa, Psy, Ambient, Dub, Techno and ProgHouse), metal (Death, Folk, Black, Hardcore), rock (Psychedelic, Stoner, Blues), etc.

Posted Image

I've got some 45Gb and I can proudly say this is all rips from the CDs I purchased over the last 12 years (close to 600, out of which 150 is still not ripped) - mostly various types of psychedelic goa trance & ambient / down-tempo. I've never bought anything digitally and I don't intend to - I simply can't listen to it nor build any relationship with 'files'. I know it's weird, but that's the way it is and it's the same e.g. for PS3 games too. It's probably because I'm old (36) and grown up in 'physical' world and for me going to the shop / post office for new CD/game, opening, reading the inlays, putting the CD into the tray, etc. is still very emotional; I don't get any of that with 'files' :(

It wasn't a joke, neither irony. I have all my cds ripped in my pc. So whenever I don't want to change cds all the time I just listen to them from my pc.

me to, took me almost 2 years to rip all my cd's, started my second tb hardrive few months ago, its at about 1.2 tb

Digital:

In library - 131 GB

Unsorted - 18 GB

On DVD's (also unsorted) - 100 GB

CDs: 50-60

Mostly electronica (Goa, Psy, Ambient, Dub, Techno and ProgHouse), metal (Death, Folk, Black, Hardcore), rock (Psychedelic, Stoner, Blues), etc.

I see you have the Ace Ventura with Lish and Liquid Soul stuff in there, nice one! Any good prog house recommendations of the top of your head? Listening to a lot of tech house lately but don't have a lot of prog house, although I like this style.

I can't, you wouldn't believe me, and it would be not wise to put it online, you never know...

I have never lost (or deleted) a single track/album/compilation/ep/discography in a format or crash since 1998...

I also never listen to original cd's. Once I have a new cd I rip it in flac and listen to it digital.

I have no actual cd player anymore, and it annoys me that there is a cd in my cd drive while I'm on my laptop or desktop. (especially on my laptop)

Digital loads faster and it's great to create playlist since I and I guess most of us only have one cd-drive, maybe two.