Your substance of choice

Panoptes

Simple question. What is your substance of choice, and why? (quite a controversial subject to bring up on a psynew forum imo)

The fact is each of us partakes and enjoys a variety of substances on a regular basis. Be it tea, coffee, sugar, cigarettes, alcohol, psilocybin mushrooms, and other such substances. Please refrain from posting your opinion on what is a substance and what isn't. Each of these alters your mind in one form or another (for better or worse).

I personally enjoy tea and cannabis, they make me feel good and are natural. They are both quite healthy compared to anything else.

Marijuana, just about every day. It gives me a relaxing feeling and makes my day much more interesting. From time to time I do LSD. I like to do it when I have a week of, have a bunch of time on my hands and when I'm at a party with non-commercial music. I don't do it very often but when I do, I really enjoy it. Some of the main reasons for using these type of things is the fact that music sounds SO MUCH better when stoned or tripping! I'm pretty sure that's a key reason as to why I'm smoking so long. Sometimes I have heard a song a bunch of times sober, listen to it on LSD and suddenly I realize different things about the song I didn't even realize before. I believe it can alter my consciousness and sometimes when you are sober, you are not conscious about a bunch of things that come in to perspective when on LSD. And sometimes smaller things come in perspective with weed also.

in everyday life: sugar, chocolate, junk food ;)

for more "special" occasions: LSD excellent "bang for the buck", a high that lasts for at least 8 hours for the price of a cocktail!, no body load, no headache the next day, obviously helps "understand" psytrance better, teaches me "lessons" about life ;) Biggest drawback would be the possibility of having a bad trip but with time, I have found almost impossible to have bad trips, I can turn a negative situation into a positive one pretty easily (wasn't always the case though)

for extra-special occasions: 5-MEO-AMT this is like the LSD of the future, hallucinations are much more vivid with wonderfully colored geometric patterns, lasts a looong time (18-20 hours, sometimes even more!) and yet the next day I can wake up at 7AM and go to work without feeling tired or having a headache, no memory loss and I'm able to focus on linear activities. What more can someone ask from a substance? On the downside, I find it "teaches" you less than LSD and there is a bit of an agressive side to it. And obviously, the high is so intense that it can definately freak you out. Whereas negative/ paranoid thoughts slowly creep in your mind with LSD, with 5-MEO-AMT they just jump in your face so you need a LOT more self control not to go totally mental. BTW careful not to overdose! this stuff can kill you if not handled properly! And you have to be lucky enough to find some, it's not like they sell this on every street corner :(

I haven't had the chance to partake in such things. I would like to try it though

Ahaaa :), tried it twice, but it's for people who already have experience with psychedelic drugs.

This should no be your first trip.

I haven't done acid in years but I know I will in the future, until I die, once a year or 2 years who knows...

I think I will, who knows...

Good advise Lemmi, well explained...

those photo's bit old now, i have about 45 cactus now, with the 4 main varieties, yield about, 20 doses a year, and share the experiences in a controlled enviroment, with people who havn't tried it, has helped 2 with ice addictions and one with heroin addiction and loads of alcoholics.

most have all stopped now.

in my book it is the best of all the psychedelics, extremley spiritual,and all 45 have different properties and alkaloids, producing different experiences.

but of course dmt and salvia, the later still legal in my home country of new zealand, also rate highly if responsible with it.

have found a flower that grows wild here in australia, with high levels of dmt recently!

working on a extraction.

may have to put it in the water here, to shake the chaos out of the planet abusers!

Ahaaa :), tried it twice, but it's for people who already have experience with psychedelic drugs.

This should no be your first trip.

I haven't done acid in years but I know I will in the future, until I die, once a year or 2 years who knows...

I think I will, who knows...

Good advise Lemmi, well explained...

agree to a point, but if coming from someone who knows it, could be the best for a first time, acid can be so harsh sometimes, and reacts bad with first timers sometimes, especially people with emotional and mental damage, cactus can help people with these types of conditions, ayahuasca to,but.........

def not first timers!

although I have never tried the cactus I would definitely recommend trying mushrooms over lsd first. the main reason is that Shrooms feel like a cleaner high to me and that would comfort the average person.

those photo's bit old now, i have about 45 cactus now, with the 4 main varieties, yield about, 20 doses a year, and share the experiences in a controlled enviroment, with people who havn't tried it, has helped 2 with ice addictions and one with heroin addiction and loads of alcoholics.

most have all stopped now.

in my book it is the best of all the psychedelics, extremley spiritual,and all 45 have different properties and alkaloids, producing different experiences.

but of course dmt and salvia, the later still legal in my home country of new zealand, also rate highly if responsible with it.

have found a flower that grows wild here in australia, with high levels of dmt recently!

working on a extraction.

may have to put it in the water here, to shake the chaos out of the planet abusers!

More then nice, I should pay you a visit :)

After reading all the posts, I decided to make a comment on the subject. First, I am not preaching, as you know what is wrong or right to you. I hope my comment casts some light about the use of substances, and you may or may not know about what you'll read below. And you may or may not care. I just want to show another aspect on this subject, as perhaps some of you never heard about it.

Substances have a powerful effect on the mind, some call it bliss, or elation, or detachment, you name it. It is the main reason one decides to make use of it, of course. It also has a dark side, some call it "bad trips". But is much darker than what appears in the surface, and the bad trip can be much worse and longer than what we observe. Have you ever thought about how a material substance affects the mind? Well, here's where it becomes a little bit deeper: we need to understand what is "material" and what's "mind". Material meaning does not need to be elaborated, easy to understand. But "mind" is quite complex, and we need some background. "Mind", according to several religions, is the true self. Is what you are. A lot of different religions, from different origins, in different places, describe that the "mind" is another part of man, besides his body. In other words, a man is not only his body, but a combination of a physical body and an etheral body. As they are deeply connected, we - unless we intently try to study it - feel the two as only one entity: the physical one. Most of us are unaware, or don't care, or simply can't - feel the etheral body (at the end of this post, I will ask the ones willing to do so, an experiment to feel the etheral body). What really matters is that the etheral body is the one that feels the stimulus that the physical body provokes. The stimulus may be simple, like watching a movie: what really moves you to tears, or anger, is your "mind", your etheral body. This body is quite phantasmagoric. It is called the "mind", the "perispirit", the "soul", the "primal energy", depending on each belief of religion. But, take a note that despite the different wording, all of them describe something invisible to the eyes. "Etheral" tells it all: it's a faint, unnoticeable energy. One that, anyway, is the most important one: it's the energy that will survive the death of the body. In other words: the etheral body is where you, as you know yourself, resides. The physical body you see in the mirror is just a pack, needed to make you live all the experiences we call "life".

Well, substances have the power to make the perception of the etheral body stronger, simple as that. And this body being "etheral" is where all the feel-good experiences from taking substances come from: when with substances on board, the etheral body takes over the physical body, and it being etheral, therefore in contact with the etheral world, it causes all the good sensations you have experienced. That's why so many good words to describe this detachment: "astral projection", "out of the body experience", and so many others we see in, locally, psytrance, but that are used in other areas as well.

Problem is that making of the etheral body is fluid, thin, plastic, invisible. Ordinarily, all the feel-good experiences that substances cause to it, can be achieved thru meditation, studying, good actions. They take longer, are hard to achieve, but thru the knowledge they enrich this fluid body. On the other hand, substances are the easy way to achieve "nirvana", they bypass, say, meditation, with only a pill, while meditation takes years to understand.

The big problem, and a serious, one, which is the main reason of my comment is that substances cause definitive damages to the etheral body. It is originally pristine, as mediums from different religions have described it. Substances, because they're intoxicating to both bodies, cause an erosion in the plasticity of the etheral body, beyond repair. While the physical body recovers fast from the effects, they remain strong in the etheral body, and another problem: while the first effects are good, in the long run they are seriously destructive. I will not enter into this territory, but most cases of lunacy, suicide, paranoia, etc... are a physical result of the deterioration of the then pristine etheral body. Problems go on in a list that's almost endless. But I would like to finish this comment with my own experience: I am a medium in development, still studying hard for it. But I have seen so many souls in completely despair, in the afterlife. You have seen them too, in movies that describe a tip of the iceberg that we call "death". I can say that the suffering ghosts we sometimes see with the corner of our eye, they are there. They are you in a not so distant future. Or you may be an enlightned being, one that causes good feelings when near mediums. It depends on what you believe.

The experiment I mentioned above: sit somewhere and rest one of your hands in front of you, on a table or a chair. Look at it and try to separate the etheral hand from the physical hand. Your muscles will tense. At this point, if you have some mediunity, you will feel two hands at the same time. That's an easy exercise that illustrates what "astral projection" really is.

hi procyon, nice comment, but i think you made few generalizations, that i don't find justified.

1. the dualism or dichotomy of body / mind can be misleading as the dualisms of nature and nurture, good and bad or black and white. it suggests that there is either the one or the other. or that physical body is nothing without ethereal body. in fact, the two work together and are interconnected and intertwined, at least in our common perceptible world (take the case of paraplegia for example or the possibility of neuronal manipulation). what happens when you separate them - well, different cultures and different religions have different opinions about that - your mind or soul or ethereal body or whatever wanders to heaven or hell, or you're reincarnated in someone else, or you take part in a spiritual or astral world, while your physical body goes the way of decay. i agree with you, that the mind or spirit of oneself is way more powerful and influential in structuring everyday's life than the physical body, especially like it's seen in our rationalized disillusioned western world. but think about dichotomies. it's not only black and white.

2. to generalize all substances as hurting your mind or causing damage to your ethereal body is simply not true. it's true that you can reach different states of mind also through meditation, abstinence of food, water, air, or extreme sports or whatever and are caused by yourself and not through a certain substance. but that does not mean that substances per se are causing damage. biochemically they only add atomic compounds to others and cause certain physical or mental effects. while some of these effects can seriously damage your physical or mental health instantly or in the long-run, others can also have healing forces. especially when you take them in a certain setting with certain beliefs and under personal guidance. what are shamans doing since centuries, dealing with peyote, ayahuasca, marihuana, tobacco and i don't know what else. there are also lsd and mdma experiments with patients suffering from heavy mental illnesses which were quite successful. okay, you say every substance is intoxicating, hence everything you take - be it sugar, fat, caffeine, amphetamine, cannabinoids..., be it natural or chemical - may seriously harm your ethereal body. i say, humans are way stronger and tougher than you can think of. and natural substances are here for what they are. maybe they can kill humans, but not humanity.

I agree with blubber.

Also I don't think is clearly stated that this topic is about your substance of choice. Thus if you do nothing you say I choose to take nothing and state why.

@blubber: as I said, I am not preaching. And I can understand your point of view. My comment was solely based on what we see, hear and feel coming from the spiritual side of life. And I felt I was not being nice to myself and to others if I didn't say a word of warning, even if exposed to scepticism and ridicule. Also, of course, when I wrote 'substances' I meant drugs. I just didn't write the word 'drug' because I know it's a sensitive word to many.