Nicknames

JISNEGRO

It's nice to see so many different stories and personal reasons for choosing nicknames.

I have learnt cool things in this topic, like the fact of crossing syllables in a word to create an obscure language used by criminals. Also I like Anoebis' idea of bringing people to the world of trance.

@Drosophila are you into science? maybe studying to become a PhD or something like this?

It's interesting how in the psy scene is not rare to find PhDs, teachers, engineers, dentists, etc. I bet that outsiders (people who do not usually listen to psytrance) would be amazed of not only finding the typical hippie who only smoke pot all day long waiting to be abducted by aliens.

BTW I happen to have never met a lawyer who listens to psytrance :P

My last name is Paric (Parich), so I used satrovacki and it came out as Rich-pa. Speaking about satrovacki, here is something about it...and yeah I'm not criminal :ph34r:

Satrovacki is a feature of permuting syllables of words used in Serbian, Croatian and Bosnian. It is similar to verlan and louchébem in French. The term is sometimes used to describe other slang in which words are deformed, as well. Satrovacki was initially developed by criminals in Yugoslavia, as it was incomprehensible to police. Today, it is spread among youth in informal speech and its variants are found in all languages that can be linguistically categorized as South Slavic. It is more widespread in urban areas, such as Belgrade, Zagreb and Sarajevo.

Words are formed by replacing the syllable order. For example: pivo (beer), becomes vopi. The new word has the same meaning as the stem. Since the spelling is nearly phonetic it does not change. However, sometimes one of the vowels is changed to make the new word easier to pronounce, avoid ambiguity, or if the stem word is not innominative. For example, trava (grass, often used for marijuana) would become vutra instead of vatra (meaning fire).

haha yep we have that in french too, that's how a "trip" becomes "petri" that way back in the days people could ask/ offer drugs during raves without being caught by the cops. Of course, by now all the cops know it already but we still use it to look cool lol

It's nice to see so many different stories and personal reasons for choosing nicknames.

I have learnt cool things in this topic, like the fact of crossing syllables in a word to create an obscure language used by criminals. Also I like Anoebis' idea of bringing people to the world of trance.

@Drosophila are you into science? maybe studying to become a PhD or something like this?

It's interesting how in the psy scene is not rare to find PhDs, teachers, engineers, dentists, etc. I bet that outsiders (people who do not usually listen to psytrance) would be amazed of not only finding the typical hippie who only smoke pot all day long waiting to be abducted by aliens.

BTW I happen to have never met a lawyer who listens to psytrance :P

I do know a lawyer (well he studied law) who is into psy-trance, I actually met him through psynews, but now he is a in flesh friend as well as we live in the same city... SkeletonMan if that rings a bell to any one (it should ;)), he is not here very often any more.

And yes I am doing a PhD in the science field, working with nanomedicine and bio-imaging atm :)

I'm a big Dragonball fan (and manga fan generaly obviously). Trunksan is basically Trunks-san condensed (in the early internet days special charactes were a no no), son of Vegeta and Bulma. He was my favourite character because he is the sanest in a group of lunatics (Goku, Piccolo, Vegeta. Krillin, Yamcha, Goten, gohan...) and the only one who fits a more western-type hero, which is a bit like myself and my friends. I'm always around to get them out of trouble, it usually involves lending them money and never getting it back (even when we were at primary school), getting them out of trouble from drug dealers or people that want to beat them up (I'm a wrestler and Judoka and people know that), finding them jobs, buying stuff online since I'm the only one with a credit card that's still working, driving to pick them up when they are stuck...

I don't know if this happens in other countries but in my town every family also has a nikcname so as not be confused with other families with the same surname. The nicknames range from the rudest to the ridiculous:

For example my Great - Grandfathers family had the nickname "Mourtiris" and even now whenever an a old man asks me what's my surnaname I say my surname and then clarify "Of Mourtiris" not "Tsimpidas" nor "Patsarelos".

Some funny family nicknames include: Skatas (shitty), Kwlonteros (ass-intestine), Kwlotoumpas (assroll), Podilatos (bicycle), Selinos (Celery), Skoros (moth), Koliaboom (I have no clue), Nteko (the sound of an old engine Nteko-Nteko-Nteko-Nteko-Nteko), Mplitsis (this comes from the Beatles)..

Most show a profession for example Tsimpidas = blacksmith, Neros = warer man, Aspros = whiteman/milkman but a lot are super funny.

I felt all strange and unnatural at my first goa party , listening to this weird brand of music in a jungle with tripped out hippies doing stupid crazy stuff all night till sunrise ..I was so curious that I went online trying to search for this music when I stumbled on isratrance , one needed to regsiter to dicuss stuff so i called myself exotic , refering to how i felt all night that time i went for a psycho disco party that had decor like i was in some alien land , with my cousin and his african friend who asked me if i knew how to roll and i said yes but why would you want me to roll on the ground without reason ? :P I till date cannot forget the look on his face :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

I always wanted to know the origins of Ormion and Reger. There was a rumour that Reger's name is actually Reginald but I guess it's not true.

My nickname is a name of the song I heard when I registered to Psynews after the old black site was relaunched.

The song is by The Avalanches of course.

I used to go by name NHJO HYENNRO as well but it was long time ago..

I always wanted to know the origins of Ormion and Reger. There was a rumour that Reger's name is actually Reginald but I guess it's not true.

My nickname is a name of the song I heard when I registered to Psynews after the old black site was relaunched.

FB on psynews, great, now you're Bill hicks avatar and it's complete :)

And indeed NHJO HYENNRO was rolf :)

glad you came out of the closet , now high time you admit for radi6404 as well...

Well, first my username was 'goodthings'. At the time I didn't know what to make it. So I thought: I might as well make it something good. Then I wanted to change it, so I changed it to my soundcloud account that was called 'prog4all'. I didn't know what to call my soundcloud account either actually and because I was listening to a lot of prog, I figured prog4all would be a good name.

Guest neurogen

Neurons and neuro transmitters

Generator like generating magical energies in music.

Similar concept to APs powergen .

So mix all that and u get my nick. Neurogen.

Interesting topic and i really enjoy reading ur stories.

:thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...
Guest neurogen

pretty Offtopic, but Anoebis - There is something about your avatar that speaks to me.

Its like I am remembering a psychedelic mind voyage I had 10 years ago. Almost a little creepy.

But I do like it. Where is it from? Or did you design it?

looks like DMT entities

• 1 month later...

Many reasons ..... have you ever read Faust? No? You should!

Many consider Mephistopheles to be the Devil himself but he is not. It's quite a misunderstood character, trapped in his own hell as we all are. Actually he tries to warn Faust for the consequence of his selling of his soul to the Devil for knowledge. He is just the collector of souls already damned....and in the end, aren't we all damned ...?

According to Christian mysticism he was the first to join with Lucifer during the rebellion against God at the beginning of time. When the rebel angels were banished from Heaven, Mephistopheles was the second to fall, after Lucifer. In exchange for his loyalty Lucifer granted him power in Hell appointing him his second-in-command. Lucifer, bringer of knowledge forbidden to mankind ....

The name Mephistopheles can also be a combination of three Greek words: "me" as a negation, "phos" meaning light, and "philis" meaning loving, making it mean "not-light-loving", possibly parodying the Latin "Lucifer" or "light-bearer".

Since I am a night person myself, this connection is obvious....

.... If the above sound silly to you, you can also consider Mephistopheles to be the Master of lies ..... so in anyway an ambivalent persona .... ;-)

hehe.....