Posted Image

Artist: Various

Title: Dimensional Gateway

Label: Neogoa.tk

Date: December, 2010

1. PharaOm: Cellar Door (144)

2. Astrancer: Tetragrammaton (138)

3. Sky Technology: Cosmic Space (146)

4. Screw Loose: From Fear To Eternity (144)

5. Antares: Xibalba (144)

6. Arronax & Somnesia: Black Hole (144)

7. Mindsphere: To Infinity (2010 Remix) (146)

8. Blackstarrfinale: Bonetti Defense (148)

9. Perfect Blind: Exosphere (Spaced Out Mix) (108)

Unless you have lived on the Falklands with no internet then you must be aware of the tremendous resurgence of goa trance. It is highly melodic, hypnotic and when produced well can tell a story like no other music can. While labels such as Suntrip, DAT, and Kagdila have gotten the ball rolling, netlabels have begun to fill in the gaps, thus fulfilling my almost constant need for high quality goa trance. One such "label" is the brand new upstart Neogoa.tk website. Run by our very own Ivan Parić (Richpa), he has been busting his ass to create the headquarters for all things new school. Not only does it provide a comprehensive list of releases, artists, and labels, but it also latest news, Youtube and social network links and a radio feature for goa listening. Ivan was kind enough to float me a promo copy to listen to so that I could provide a review. He either likes my reviews or understands that especially in this genre that it is all about promotion. Hey, for a guy that has worked so hard for this community, I am only too happy to help.

The cover is very nice with purples and greens including an eye inside a triangle right smack dab in the middle. Inside is a list of the artists with short info on what they have released and where. I didn't get the back cover as it wasn't ready yet.

Cellar Door- "A wormhole may be able to provide a shortcut between two distant regions in space."

French producer Oswald Pfeiffer has released a couple of tracks as well as his debut EP Awakening Bodhisattva on UAF (another netlabel that has released super high quality goa FOR FREE!) This track begins with a definite outer space vibe which is maintained throughout the entire album. The sample sets the stage and is joined by a rambling synth and floating pads. At around the 5 minute mark the track asserts its goa identity with a very spacey lead leading to a crescendo and then drifting away. Smooth, not overpowering and a great way to begin. If I had one minor gripe, it would be that the samples sound a little muddled, but maybe that was the effect he was shooting for. As a side note, this one got better with repeated listens.

Tetragrammaton- Bruno Filizola from Brazil is what we call a serious up and comer in the game with strong tracks on compilations like Energy Waves, Freshly Cut Tomato, and Jelly Marbles. Dzog Chen from Pyramidal Trancendence is one of the strongest efforts you will hear. This track is bubbly and sounds a little like E-mantra with its sounds. Not a lot of variation and I found it kind of plain. Disappointing because he has done much better. Average track.

Cosmic Space- Dmitriy Kolosovskiy from the Ukraine released Time and Space one of the greatest EP's on the UAF label that is chock full of melodic insanity. This one starts off more abrasive, but not in a bad way. The lead gets twisted this way and that and a new one finds its way to the front. The break allows for some reorganization and you can feel the tension building. Another good track.

From Fear To Eternity- This is Sasa Dukic, better known as Psilocybian. Where the previous tracks guided you through space, this one sets you adrift. Right from the get go with the echoing melody you are on your own. Ice cold synths scream and the break is interesting as it introduces what I think are Egyptian melodies amidst the vastness of space. This would be the perfect soundtrack for The 5th Element. I really like this one.

Xibalba- Belgian Simon Felix in my opinion is one of the top producers of melodic goa trance. His tracks unfold in sections revealing the beauty within. With this track you really have to work to hear that sample clearly but the beginning is so visceral. His style is evident from the jump as we are traveling through the stars at a great rate of speed. The melodies soar and twist and it makes this quite the track. Not much to say here, just a good high energy ride.

Black Hole (Extended Trip)- It seems like Arronax has been around forever and here he teams up with newcomer Somnesia, fresh off his release on UAF called Rainbow Source EP. I would have to say this is the most aggressive of the tracks. The melodies begin right away with a laser-like kick and scrambling bassline. The break is tangible, with a lovely breakbeat while the pads continue. This is high tempo and unrelenting. Which isn't that easy to maintain for a track over 10 minutes long. Very good track.

To Infinity (2010 Remix)- Ali Akgun had one of the most impressive new school goa releases Inner Cyclone in 2007 and remixes a track from the album here. I had to go back and listen to the original to see what the differences are between the two. And I'll be honest, the tracks are so long that I cannot keep track of the differences, so I will just speak on this new version. Awe.Some. Period. Great goa melodies, wonderful evolving break, and squirty, filtered leads. I had heard that he wasn't into making goa trance any longer and it is good to see those rumors are false. He's still got it.

Bonetti Defense- What are we, in court now? This is Luis Pabon from the UK who has released two great tracks on Goa Overdose and Goatronika before this one. The melody starts outright against a Princess Bride sample and suddenly the track name makes sense. Effects scream from behind the melodies, and this is just nonstop. The beat eventually changes tempo but the track continues to maintain the same chaotic feeling. I felt it lost a little steam near the end but still a good track.

Exosphere (Spaced Out Mix)- This is Igor Ceranic with an absolute gem of a closing downtempo goa track. Groovy and mellow while still capturing the ride home in the space shuttle after a long journey. The synths apply pressure delicately and then float wistfully away. Great stuff.

I would say that this compilation has a laser light focus on the outer space area of goa trance. At times you can feel like you are adrift and alone in the great void or you are rocketing past comets and other galaxies from your spacecraft. It never wavers and is never too in your face. Sometimes you will get a group of tracks that put too many melodies or sounds in place and it gets tiresome. This one concentrates on melodies of course, but isn't heavy. While a couple of the tracks could've shown more development or evolution this compilation gets the job done. So hats off to you Richpa, this is a very good compilation for your first release. The fact that it is freely given is just icing on the cake. ;)

Here is where you can check out the samples!

Mdk

Promo copy for free-digital? waaat?

Nice review, very glad about mindsphere, but I want to hear this as well!

Maybe it seems weird but from the very beginning I promised to artists and myself that I'll do this with good promotion, serios cover (with informations about artists) and offcourse proper mastering, even it's free release. The point here is to promote thoose guys in the best possible way, because they did awesome job with tracks. Also, best possible solution was to promote and host it on Ektoplazm, and for the second time I'm very glad to work with Basilisk. Review before it's out is logical decission, Mdk in my humble opinion writtes honest and objective reviews and I've asked him to do same thing for Dimensional Gateway (and I'm very thankful that he took his free time for this), so that people know what to expect before they decide to spend their bandwidth.

Maybe it seems weird but from the very beginning I promised to artists and myself that I'll do this with good promotion, serios cover (with informations about artists) and offcourse proper mastering, even it's free release. The point here is to promote thoose guys in the best possible way, because they did awesome job with tracks. Also, best possible solution was to promote and host it on Ektoplazm, and for the second time I'm very glad to work with Basilisk. Review before it's out is logical decission, Mdk in my humble opinion writtes honest and objective reviews and I've asked him to do same thing for Dimensional Gateway (and I'm very thankful that he took his free time for this), so that people know what to expect before they decide to spend their bandwidth.

Well knowing the tracklist was enough for me, personally, but I see your point. :)

Very nice review, I recently had the privilege of having access to the rest of the tracks and it's gonna be a hell of a stonker. Regarding Bonetti Defense, the version that will come out in december is different (mix and finale) from the one reviewed here.

I also got the compilation thanks to Richpa and it's very good! :) Richpa did a GREAT job! The quality is equal to a real cd.

I've got to listen to it some more times but at the moment my favourite tracks are the Astrancer one and the one from Arronax & Somnesia!

• 2 weeks later...

Just going through the album for the first couple of times now and I have to say that I am really surprised. This is really good! Well, not all tracks are of the same calibre ofcourse, as is bound to happen with most compilations anyhow. But I really really like this compilation! It's varied, it's very good quality and there are some very interesting tracks in there. I really like Arronax's and Somnesia's track, so much energy with such a great flow! Also, the Antares and Minsphere tracks are great. Maybe I'll write a longer review when I have listened a few more times.

Great work Richpa on compiling this!

Thank you for the review MdK, and thanks everyone else for big support :) I am really happy that I participated in this release, and I must say it's really reaaally good :) Every track has it's own charm and I personally believe that the featured artists are very well selected. Big thumbs up for Richpa who did a great compiling, and also thumbs up for Basilisk who shared our release on Ektoplazm!

This track is another project of my friend Somnesia and me, and we're going to make a few more tracks for your tranced ears, so stay tuned :)

I must also mention that Dimensional Gateway has reached the top in weekly download charts, and at this moment, we're taking  the 3rd place in monthly charts. I guess that tells that the compilation is really successful, having over 4200 downloads in like 11 days... 

• 3 weeks later...

Too lazy to write a proper review but I'll throw in my 2cents since I've listened this quite a few times now.

Pharaom - Cellar Door is just magical all the way! I love the amount of emotion, the smooth fractal melodies and the palpable calm spacey atmosphere! Such a nice morning track. Astrancer - Tetragrammaton was kind of stale the first half but if you give it time it will prove itself worthy, the melodies keep it going onwards and it gets better over time. Sky Technology was disapppointing to me. I like parts of it, such as the revving synths and rattling melodies but the biggest problem feels like its with the bassline, just didn't like it much personally and the samples weren't the best. Overall it was ok. After that small disappointed comes a huge surprise, Screw Loose - From Fear To Eternity! Production, flow, force, melodies all perfect! Especially when those eastern melodies arise at 4 minutes, just bliss! Amazing track and for being a debut from this artist, that is no small feat he accomplished here. Antares - Xibalba was more of the same Antares to put it simply, very ethereal like progression, it's natural and organic in every way. First half tens to bore me a little but the second half is great the melodies evolve nicely. The next track is a long one from Arronax & Somnesia. Black Hole (Extended Trip) is exactly what it says it is. Very spacey pads and melodies. It is interesting throughout and at 10 minutes 30 seconds long that's quite an accomplishment. The next one is a remix of a track I whole-heartedly love. Mindpshere - To Infinity (2010 remix). Personally, I don't think it needed remixing, some of the power of the original track is gone in my opinion. The production/mastering is way better however and it feels like more of a calm trip through the fractaly space, whereas the original is a full force lightspeed journey through the cosmos, which is exactly why I enjoy the original more. But on it's own it is good, just not as good. Bonetti Defence by BlackstarrFinale is a good track, fast bpm coupled with swirling melodies is never a bad combination, it gets better as it progresses as well. And then comes the final track, which, for the 2nd time on this compilation, is a big surprise - Perfect Blind - Exosphere(Spaced Out Mix). Just fantastic downtempo psychill track with beautiful atmosphere and magical melodies! It's not too slow like they usually are and I really, really love that about it. Kinda reminds me of Sundial Aeon too.

All in all very good more morning-like neogoa compilation and it's free to boot! Go get it!

After that small disappointed comes a huge surprise, Screw Loose - From Fear To Eternity! Production, flow, force, melodies all perfect! Especially when those eastern melodies arise at 4 minutes, just bliss! Amazing track and for being a debut from this artist, that is no small feat he accomplished here.

Well Saša from Screw Loose is doing music since 2000. I think and recently he released full lenght album on Ovnimoon Records (as Psilocybian project), besides that he's releasing under Mammal Footwork/Dual Barell projects too. In my humble opinion, the most interesanting Croatian psytrance producer.

All in all very good more morning-like neogoa compilation and it's free to boot! Go get it!

Glad you like it and thanks for review ;)

Top notch stuff - and for free!

Love the last three tracks; especially the new version of Mindsphere´s track, since it seems "cleaner" and not as straggling as the original. Blackstarrfinale just does´nt make bad tracks it seems, and Perfect blind´s track is magnificent! But there are more treats on this album!

Astrancer, Screw loose and Antares tracks are really good too. Astrancer has some wicked melodies there... And I definitly have to look up Psilocybian project.

A little bit dissapointed with Sky technology. I loved his track on "Goatronika", but "Cosmic space" does´nt seem to lead anywhere. There´s too much gating and some lack in flow... Arronax/Somnesia and PharaOm´s tracks are OK, but nothing more than that for me. It seems like they miss that extra "sparkle" that makes a track shiny and rememberable.

Nice compiling Richpa! This is like a Suntrip collection of tracks - only two or three tracks that I don´t find pleasing. Makes me actually looking forward to listening to this again and again.

Nice cover btw

• 4 years later...
  • 2 years later...