Inception

Lemmiwinks

So anyone seen what seems to be the blockbuster of the summer so far? I've seen it, and have quite mixed feelings on it. I mean, I LOVE movies who explore the border between reality and dreams, but I found this one to be too much on the action side of things, I would've prefered a more philosophical approach... I mean David Lynch made better stuff more than a decade ago :( Anyway, it was better than most crap our there.

So what are your thughts on it?

It's a thoughtful summer blockbuster, a smart action flick. I don't agree with all the hype for the simple reason that there is nothing even remotely authentic about the dreams in this movie. Random tough guys with guns? Come on--how about something more surreal and, you know, dreamlike.

It's a thoughtful summer blockbuster, a smart action flick. I don't agree with all the hype for the simple reason that there is nothing even remotely authentic about the dreams in this movie. Random tough guys with guns? Come on--how about something more surreal and, you know, dreamlike.

yep, my thoughts exactly... now David Lynch, HE knew to fully explore the dream world ;)

So anyone seen what seems to be the blockbuster of the summer so far? I've seen it, and have quite mixed feelings on it. I mean, I LOVE movies who explore the border between reality and dreams, but I found this one to be too much on the action side of things, I would've prefered a more philosophical approach... I mean David Lynch made better stuff more than a decade ago :( Anyway, it was better than most crap our there.

So what are your thughts on it?

You used David Lynch and blockbuster in the same quote. This is intolerable...

Well, it was better than your average Hollywood blockbuster but I was left overall disappointed.

I liked the concept of the movie, the dreams within dreams ect but what I didn't like far outstripped what I did like.

1. Too much action, gun battle, car chase, gun battle, ski chase....etc

2. It was in no way dreamy, a movie about dreams should be more surreal even if it's weird colour skies or something.

3. I hated that they felt the need to explain everything, every step of the way. It was all pretty simple to understand and there was no need to make it any more obvious to the viewer.

So all in all I think it was good idea but poorly executed, it's a shame but I guess they have to appeal to the lowest common denominator and I guess a lot of people really do need the simplest shit explaining to them every step of the way.

I thought it was worth watching but it's not something I will ever watch again.

• 2 weeks later...

I loved it. They just didn't use enough dreamlike visuals, such as Ellen Page bending the world to her pleasure or the zero gravity(Which was just mind blowing to me, I loved everything about those scenes). The ideas things that they did do were awesome, but much of that wasn't creative enough. I.e. the james bond action was just boring to watch and that's my only complaint honestly. Great, smart movie otherwise, also amazing use of music at certain parts.

I loved it. They just didn't use enough dreamlike visuals, such as Ellen Page bending the world to her pleasure or the zero gravity(Which was just mind blowing to me, I loved everything about those scenes). The ideas things that they did do were awesome, but much of that wasn't creative enough. I.e. the james bond action was just boring to watch and that's my only complaint honestly. Great, smart movie otherwise, also amazing use of music at certain parts.

The music is pretty smart. Watch this:

Technically, Mr. Zimmer said, his score is not a slowing-down of the French song, which was composed by Charles Dumont and recorded by Piaf in 1960, but is constructed from a single manipulated beat from it.

“I had to go and extract these two notes out of a recording,” Mr. Zimmer said, using a little bit of “Inception” lingo. “I love technology, so it was a lot of fun for me to go and get the original master out of the French national archives. And then find some crazy scientist in France who would actually go and take that one cell out of the DNA.”

You will like this:

“Just for the game of it,” Mr. Zimmer said, “all the music in the score is subdivisions and multiplications of the tempo of the Édith Piaf track. So I could slip into half-time; I could slip into a third of a time. Anything could go anywhere. At any moment I could drop into a different level of time.”

“I didn’t use the song; I only used one note,” Mr. Zimmer said. “But look, I so couldn’t care less about awards. I know I’m not supposed to say this. But when you work with Chris Nolan, when you work on a movie like ‘Inception,’ it’s for the adventure.”

Musical genious goes here: http://artsbeat.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/07/28/hans-zimmer-extracts-the-secrets-of-the-inception-score/

I love that guy :D

Just for the record. I think Hans is really taking his movies to another level. His "The Ring-theme" is spot on to name one. And his work on "Black Hawk Down" is just sick. Sure, he can compose the "usual-mainstream-theme" (Pirates) but let this guy experiment and you know you will get some really good stuff. Fuck me Zimmer is good :D

About Sin City:

Robert Rodriguez originally asked Hans Zimmer to score the music, but Zimmer couldn't accept it, cause at the time he was in England preparing Batman Begins (2005). Zimmer recommended two of his friends, 'John Debney (I)' and Graeme Revell.

Legendary

I just watched it.

The movie was very good. I'm really happy that a blockbuster film has a more complex script.

The idea of dreams in dreams and all was very interesting, just like the idea of a team of people having a different 'job' in the dreams, it kinda reminds me Matrix.

Ok the bad stuff. The pace was way too fast and non stop. This is something that happens in almost all Nolan movies. The Prestige has it (and I LOVE Prestige), Dark Knight has it, even Batman Begins has it. Nolan should let the movie 'breathe' for a bit before he bombs us with new info every 10 seconds.

Also Nolan may be a great director, but again he def must improve his skill in action scenes. The gravity fights were awesome, but the gunfights were boring and typical directed. In fact the dream scenery was perfect for some unreal action sequences that never came.

And the last one. The dreams didn't look or feel like dreams since it's suppose to feel normal to the sleeper. But I do agree with Basilisk that it would be better if they make the dreams just a bit more surreal or 'weird', like Lynch does it without using any effect or prop.

Still it was a breath of fresh air in Hollywood that all it does lately is shitty remakes and blockbusters with scripts for 7 yo. (No offence to 7 yo). Plus the music was awesome.

Recommended. 8-8.5/10

• 4 weeks later...

Well, it was better than your average Hollywood blockbuster but I was left overall disappointed.

I liked the concept of the movie, the dreams within dreams ect but what I didn't like far outstripped what I did like.

1. Too much action, gun battle, car chase, gun battle, ski chase....etc

2. It was in no way dreamy, a movie about dreams should be more surreal even if it's weird colour skies or something.

3. I hated that they felt the need to explain everything, every step of the way. It was all pretty simple to understand and there was no need to make it any more obvious to the viewer.

This sums it up, more or less.

Also, the fact that they didn't even try to make up any even remotely reasonable explanations for what they were doing (like, how they connect dreams, or how they tap into the unconscious etc. etc.) irritated me.

Disappointment indeed. And as Basilisk mentioned: no genuinely original idea at all.

There is a dream inside a dream, I´m wide awake the more I sleep - Marilyn Manson

Man, I am eager to watch this movie soon. I have shut my ears and eyes to all commercials about it, and didn´t read much of this thread. I did however read glims of comments like Not Dreamlike, dissepointed. Now that makes me feel sad, I was hoping for some uber dreamy stuff .. still eager to watch it though !!!!

There is a dream inside a dream, I´m wide awake the more I sleep - Marilyn Manson

Man, I am eager to watch this movie soon. I have shut my ears and eyes to all commercials about it, and didn´t read much of this thread. I did however read glims of comments like Not Dreamlike, dissepointed. Now that makes me feel sad, I was hoping for some uber dreamy stuff .. still eager to watch it though !!!!

It's a very well scripted action movie with a Christopher Nolan twist. Worth every dime/second spent.

There's currently two films I found great in 2010. One was Inception; a film that shows again, how creative Christopher Nolan is. The other is The Town; proof that Ben Affleck can direct much better than act (although he can act), -a strong heist film with some very intense action.

I thought Inception was very interesting and well done. Although the final shot is ambiguous (no spoilers), and the dream scenes didn't feel that dreamlike (with few exceptions). Part of me liked the fairly realistic approach, though some of the snow scenes I felt dragged a bit, or could have been more hallucinogenic like the arresting hotel sequences, for instance.

It would have been cool if all of their operation work regarded more revelation than the fact that they got a piece of information for one business man while conducting a highly technical operation (dream within a dream). I also think the film could have benefited from having a developed dream antagonist (not the business man), as the opposition lacked characteristics or personality. They were like Matrix agents without a Mr. Smith to produce distinguishing presence. But in the emotionless professionals felt, well, professional at least. Some people felt that the end was a little drawn out. But I liked the extended music video approach. It was smart and innovative.

Great film.

Btw, the short vid below (my sig) I shot around 9 years before Inception. I simply scored and uploaded it in 2010.

• 2 weeks later...

But then after explaining everything they did the twist at the end by not showing that the coin fell. Some people took that element way too seriously saying: OH MY GOD YOU JUST CAN'T KNOW IF THEY ARE STILL DREAMING OR NOT. I'm like wow it' doesn't matter the movie is over nonetheless. It seemed a pretty simple plot line to me I saw no cliffhanger; coin or no.

Some ambiguities: I frankly still didn't quite get the scene of the old guy talking the Leo's character at the end.

Pretty good movie... I'm not sure it should be compared with the matrix.

Apparently there is supposed to be in the making another matrix... I wonder how that will turn out...