V.A. Cycle of Secrets

kazuku

lbum: Cycle of Secrets - Ektoplazm 2010

Artist: V.A.

Lable: Ektoplazm http://www.ektoplazm.com/

Release: 05/2010

Style: Forest Trance

Free Netlabel Release- Download here http://www.ektoplazm.com/free-music/cycle-of-secrets/

(MP3, FLAC and WAV)

01 - Troglotaigan - Organismo (146 BPM)

02 - Zalabim - Chasing Ghost (145 BPM)

03 - MakadaM - nattUgglan (145 BPM)

04 - AnnoyingNinjas - Rævehulen (148 BPM)

05 - Parus - Vodameri (148 BPM)

06 - Cenotes - Gnomadelic (148 BPM)

07 - Krussedull - Alberts Journey (147 BPM)

08 - Pantomiman - Black Mamba (146 BPM)

First off I have to say maximum respect to Ektoplazm and the artists involved for delivering this quality free release and the many others we have been graced with before this. This time round we have something for forest lovers - 8 wierd and wobbely tracks soaked in shroomy swamp vibes. The album has been compiled for us by Silent Existence from Kosovo and features an international selection of artists with a Scandinavian slant - to sum up the general style I would say experimental, funky forest sounds spiced up a decent portion of humour.

I persume Troglotaigan is a collaboration between Troglodytes and Taigan Sunset

from Sweden. Please correct me if I am wrong. We begin our trip with "Organismo", a bouncy and playful tune with organic atmospheres, tempo changes and vocal samples that throws some chunky base lines at us. Ambience wise I would say "Circus show gone out of control". The animals dont want to do tricks anymore, monkeys ripping off wigs left right and center, elephants with hats running a muck and to make things worse, the clowns couldnt keep their fingers off the potion.

Zalabims track "Chasing Ghost" creates a twisted cinematic atmosphere and leads us to a cartoon/video game influenced scenario with synths and samples that could be straight from an arcade machine. The vibe is light hearted with a humerous eerie touch and very experimental beats - we have lots of slow downs, speed ups, changing beat patterns - more freaky and funky than hypnotic because of the many tempo changes. Sort of like playing Mario when the ghosts chase you and you have to turn around everynow and then to get them to freeze See - thats how the title plays with my imagination. In the end if you like this or not depends on if you like your forest music with a slapstick touch or not. Personally I found it quite entertaining.

Makadam continues our journey through the Swedish forests with a grumpier baseline while succesfully invoking our friends, the lovely frorest critters, we expect to encounter sooner or later on our marsh exploration quests. Has a relentless energy and determination but is also like a curious adolescent tapir - always on the search for some insects to munch on, at the same time always willing to take a moment to roll on the floor and hold its belly into the sun for a second or 2. Has that funky mischief inside we have grown accustomed to from Scandinavian forest music.

Next up we have Annoying Ninjas. I loved alot of their other tracks, especially on V.A. Somatic Frenzy (7 Slags Sovs) http://forum.isratrance.com/v-a-somatic-frenzy-mighty-quinn-records-2010/. The trip speeds up a bit here, running through the bushes alongside an aggressive baseline and kick at 148 BMP - this time we have plenty of sci-fi effects and an overall very intense feeling- busy, covered in mud like a dirt caked hippotamus basking. Alien dissection fx icy atmospheres, swarms poisonous beatles breeding on sterile metal floors- the smell of antiseptic mixed with cow dung creeps into my nose. Nice one.

California based twin brothers Valentin and Mark Tarasov , also known as Parus, take us deeper into the night. Got to keep moving, the Californian wilderness is dangerous, no time for jokes and carelessness, predators on all sides. Driving, relentless and follows a gradual tension build up pattern. At first fx are used sparingly, as we progress a metalo-electrical inferno is gradually unleashed. The lone robot with bowel problems, emptying his mettalic intestines and letting out a hearty burb - oil at lunch was too greasy

More serious, deep, growly and not willing to compromise untill the diet is changed.

Lithuanian duo Cenotes are next up to play pied piper with our minds. If you follow Forest psy you may also be familiar with Dohm, who is one half of this project. A demented monk chants for us from his self-made church of mud, the cosmic radio dial is turned through the otherworldly stations and 1-2-3 the gnomes sweep us away. Great track which stands out with its rich atmospherics and mysterious melodic cascades and leads - we have reached a clearing in the forest here, hints of sun rays give rise to twilight, in the mist small, hooded creatures scuttle in and out of the underbrush, shadows in the corner of our eye.

Krussedull continue in this mysterious style with increased focus on melodic elements over a base of crackling and buzzing organics, playful percussion and bells. Feels wobbely like proper shroomy forest sound should. You know those rubber bouncy castles they have in playgrounds, fun fares and the like? Well sort of like standing on one of those while somebody is bouncing...you get the idea As the track unfolds it developes epic qualities as it jack-in-the-boxes alot of twists, turns and spiraling melodies on us. Beautiful.

Pantomiman brings our muddy journey to an end with a track that lures us to false safety as a Black Mamba would, waiting for the right opportunity to slither out of the shadows. Propably the most experimental track on this album with its slow build up and wierd rhythms - here the snake is still slumbering. Once the snake awakens we find ourself gradually adapting a more Stabile rhythm. Kill Bill samples reveal we are actually dealing with a human snake, a skilled assasisn lurking in the shadows. Takes a remarkable paths with changing atmospheres and the lingering feeling it has a story to tell us. Reveals its clouded intentions in the last third with emerging melodies and order in chaos as the pieces fall into place. Interesting ways to open a set imho.

Silent Existence has compiled a journey with alot of quality and underlying humour here. If you enjoy forest sound, there is really no excuse not to give this a listen, its for free afterall . The selection is very diverse with the first half of the album having the chunky, cheaky, playful quality we know from Scandinavian forest sound - phat, coily purring baselines and a lot of winks of the eye.

In the second half we taste some different flavours as melodic eeriness emerges more and more. To complete the package we get a fair portion of experimental and freaky ideas.

Its great to see free releases of such high quality - Full respect to Ektoplazm and all artists involved. Keep it up!

Favs: 3, 4, 6, 7

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Great release, one of my favourite compilations of 2010. This is how I take my night-time music!! Forest all the way :rolleyes: and Alberts Journey is just epic, what a gem!

ps. the cover art is something else, thumbs up! B)

Posted Image

and btw this is not an Ektoplazm release but a Silent Existence release!

• 3 months later...
  • 3 years later...