What is the obsession with "psy" and "psychedelic"?

bwhale

There's a lot of good (some is even better) music that's only TRANCE, not PSY-TRANCE, or AMBIENT, not PSY-BIENT. It seems that most people here ignore it for... well... I don't know what reason. :unsure:

It seems like you guys have some obsession with stuff being "psy" (whatever that even means). :lol:

In the other art forum you are even talking about "psychedelic" books and movies as though they are better than all others. :blink:

Can someone explain this?

IMO there's a lot of "classic" trance that's just as good. It would probably be called goa trance if the kick was a little different.

But more importantly, in ambient and chillout I think the stuff labeled as psy is quite often worse than other ambient music that wasn't made by psy scene artists.

I know!!!! its ridiculous, theres so much other things than psychadelics, in my music, theres maybe 10 aqrtist that i completely love, other then that, its all ambient, downbeat, idm, classical experimental that i listen everyday, if it wasnt for posford, FSOL, scorb, 1200 mics, bit of shulman and entheogenics and talpa, and a couple of other, ther nothing special that coming out in the psy

BUT in the non psy scene, all the experimental electronic downbeat is exploding!!!!!!!!!! theres tons and tons of really interesting music, but it seems that here , its only the full-on that as been aprecitaed, but its only sad for those who are trap into all the psyzone, cause there so much more goos electronic coming out everyday than the full-on sceneis offering right now

just yesterday, i found ametsub, ten times more interesting stuff than all the downbeat ive been listening on psynews 2009

WTF with the vibetribe, filteria, top 2008 psy upbeat shit, it all sucks, or almost

I know, I doint understand that psychadelics movie are cool, not because its cool that its good, anyways

consider yourself being lucky for being able to love other type of electronica, and not only the general cheesy boring and non-inspired scrap that come out everyday in py

lol

it doesnt mean i dont love psy, only, recently, nothing shock me seriously on the psy full-on but there this principle of flight that seems interesting this year, other than that...

IMO there's a lot of "classic" trance that's just as good. It would probably be called goa trance if the kick was a little different.

But more importantly, in ambient and chillout I think the stuff labeled as psy is quite often worse than other ambient music that wasn't made by psy scene artists.

TOTALLY! all the ambient a listen is coming form non psy label, even solar field bored me to death seriously, no its okay, but i dont feel the need to listen to it every month even, like almost all the ambient chill-out, but for chill-out is different, because its only psy labels that are making chill-out like i love. I still never heard something as some entheogenics, or shulman's good song, or some compilation like midnight soul dive, but other the chill-out, for ambient and everything around ambient, like classical experimental really spacey, its not coming from any psy labels

and ill recommend this top 10 so you know what im talking about:

Evan Bartholomew - Secret Entries Into Darkness (Somnia)

Hauschka - Ferndorf (130701)

Hecq - Night Falls (Hymen)

Jacaszek - Treny (Miasmah / Gusstaff )

Jóhann Jóhannsson - Fordlandia (4AD)

Library Tapes - A Summer Beneath the Trees (Make Mine Music)

Murcof - The Versailles Sessions (Leaf)

Ólafur Arnalds - Variations of Static (Erased Tapes)

Subheim - Approach (Tympanik Audio)

The Sight Below - Glider (Ghostly)

TOTALLY! all the ambient a listen is coming form non psy label, even solar field bored me to death seriously, no its okay, but i dont feel the need to listen to it every month even, like almost all the ambient chill-out, but for chill-out is different, because its only psy labels that are making chill-out like i love. I still never heard something as some entheogenics, or shulman's good song, or some compilation like midnight soul dive, but other the chill-out, for ambient and everything around ambient, like classical experimental really spacey, its not coming from any psy labels

and ill recommend this top 10 so you know what im talking about:

Hmm I'm working at listening in 90s ambient right now actually so I probably won't hear these for awhile, but 90s recommendations are welcome. ;)

:drama:

Sorry dude, I tried listening to some normal Trance (magik) music once on mushrooms and it sounded horrible, the tempo shifted in uncomfortable manners and at times it sounded like a worn-out/low-battery cassette-player struggling to stay alive. As soon as I changed back to some psychedelic tones it all sounded perfect!! And this was at a time when I was fresh to Goa and didn’t really like it, I actually preferred Euro-Trance to Goa-Trance (In all reality, I didn’t like trance that much in general). There is something unique and mesmerizing about the arrangement and production of psychedelic trance music that just makes sense and this is also why it is so sad and confusing to have 632.749 Full-On releases pretending to be psychedelic. You used to be totally safe to experience something utterly special no matter which music you chose to listen to as long as it was labeled psychedelic or Goa. You could listen to Guitars on Mushrooms* which was a crap release and at least it would give you an experience in the other dimension, no matter music taste you couldn’t fail. As the term psychedelic became more popular and watered out, this insurance of have a nice trip went away.

That said, I never did like to take chemical druqs like xtc or amphetamines to Goa-Trance, it just felt wrong and didn’t charge my lights, while on tunes from Ie. Tiësto on xtc sounded like bliss in heaven and amph on some Metal felt like a spasmic paradise. For me back then and still, each drug has a music, a sound, a string to play on.

A lot of Psy-Trance eventually went confused and didn’t know if it was chemically reacted or organically charged.

*Not such a good example or old, but you know, you know .. ?

About ambient/drone and Chill-Out. Well, most of the times these sorts of styles are safe with all sorts of medications :P

Sorry for the DRUQS spamtastics :rolleyes:

:drama:

Sorry dude, I tried listening to some normal Trance (magik) music once on mushrooms and it sounded horrible, the tempo shifted in uncomfortable manners and at times it sounded like a worn-out/low-battery cassette-player struggling to stay alive. As soon as I changed back to some psychedelic tones it all sounded perfect!! And this was at a time when I was fresh to Goa and didn’t really like it, I actually preferred Euro-Trance to Goa-Trance (In all reality, I didn’t like trance that much in general). There is something unique and mesmerizing about the arrangement and production of psychedelic trance music that just makes sense and this is also why it is so sad and confusing to have 632.749 Full-On releases pretending to be psychedelic. You used to be totally safe to experience something utterly special no matter which music you chose to listen to as long as it was labeled psychedelic or Goa. You could listen to Guitars on Mushrooms* which was a crap release and at least it would give you an experience in the other dimension, no matter music taste you couldn’t fail. As the term psychedelic became more popular and watered out, this insurance of have a nice trip went away.

On the other hand, I never did like to take chemical druqs like xtc or amphetamines to Goa-Trance, it just felt wrong and didn’t charge my lights, while on tunes from Ie. Tiësto on xtc sounded like bliss in heaven and amph on some Metal felt like a spasmic paradise - donno what that means but it reads good hehe. For me back then and still the drug has a music. A lot of Psy-Trance eventually went confused and didn’t know if it was chemically reacted or organically/synthetically charged

*Not such a good example or old, but you know, you know .. ?

About ambient/drone and Chill-Out. Well, most of the times these sorts of styles are safe with all sorts of medications :P

Sorry for the DRUQS spamtastics :rolleyes:

of course normal trance sucks too, all the armin, tiesto crap, but theres a electronic movement lot more mature, then what psy has to offer in general, but i agree, on mushrooms, lol, nothing beats psy, not even franck zappa, lol

here bwale, there something there for u

I actually agree with this one. The psy this, psychedelic that, psychedelia factors raised sky high here, there and where else not is a tad annoying. So I avoid using those terms if I can.

But then again, electronic music wise, my tastes have spanned all over, from easy flowing and silkly smooth ambient through to raging dance floor beats.

Not to make it seem like I'm completely nodding my head in approval here, trance wise, I despise each and every shape and form of trance music unless it is graced with the 'goa' prefix. The whole fuss about the german Eye Q imprint didn't impress me when I was 10, let alone now. I can appreciate and respect it for the eventual historical value it has, and I can naturally respect people who dig the sound (and why they dig it), but I've got tons of other music to keep me interested, be it psychedelic or not.

Did you listen to Earth Nation, Cygnus X, Union Jack, L.S.G., Art Of Trance?

There's actually a lot more goa trance that I like, but some classic trance is great too.

+1 love them tooo those melodies are very goaish....

I don't disagree that there are many awesome trance tracks outside of the psy field, but

this forum is called Psynews.org, not Trancenews.org so here is your answer.

(Normal) trance is simple. It gets easily worn out, it's unchallenging. First time around some piece might be good, but after a while it gets boring.

Like Rino said, I need my 'goa' or 'psy' prefix there. :rolleyes:

Something doesn't have to have psy in the title for it to be psychedelic!

For me most ambient is more psychedelic than any psybient etc etc...

well, if the ambient is psy, isnt it psybient?

Nope! Psybient is the chillout music that came out of the psychedelic trance scene. Ambient can be ultra psychedelic but it isn't going to be called psybient by anyone.

Also a lot of things labelled psy are not very psychedelic. Fullon psy does not often do it for me, I don't find it psychedelic at all.

Also a lot of things labelled psy are not very psychedelic. Fullon psy does not often do it for me, I don't find it psychedelic at all.

I agree, but this happens to every music genre.