-Bush food

-The well of enchanted sounds

raspect and thanks to all the peeps producing true quality zaikedelic musiq

updated list.

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If something is popular enough to be voted in the top 5... it'll be popular enough for people to notice its not downbeat.

However lets set a BPM limit! 50% of the tracks must be at or below xxx bpm? I suggest 130/135

btw probably not going to vote personally.

WTF do you mean by that? :blink:

I think everyone have clear enough understanding of what is ambient/chill and what is up-tempo stuff. At least I can't see any problem with that...

WTF do you mean by that? :blink:

I think everyone have clear enough understanding of what is ambient/chill and what is up-tempo stuff. At least I can't see any problem with that...

Younger Brother is mentioned as Psy Upbeat in the post above ;)

Well, same could be said for couple of tunes about Asura's Life2 from his list...

Anyway, I don't think there's possibility for general consensus about what is upbeat, therefore I think people should approach to it like this: trance (including neo old-school, psy-trance, full-on, dark, proggy and tech etc.) & non-trance (incl. freestyle, downbeat, dub, chill, ambient etc.). For me, YB as a whole is definitely not trance, even if some of the tracks are still pretty fast.

sorry for confusion, I shouldve put YB in the chill section probably.. If the general consensus is dat, I can edit and sort accordingly.

Please try to be as "correct" as possible in your tops. I haven't listened to YB, but if it is chill out, then put it in the chill out top 5.

it is chill out, I guess

asura first album had some enormous deep baselines but it's also considered as chill out, so...

edit: sorry antic already mentioned asura...

I have a question.

So far many members haven't edit the posts for Psy and Ambient lists. And probably many won't. Also they are members that own one or two ambient releases, but they manage to be in their top 5. How are you gonna count that?

What I mean:

Hypothetically I am a member and put this list

1. Psytrance Album

2. Ambient Album

3. Psytrance Album

4. Psytrance Album

5. Ambient Album

How are you gonna count?

1=5 points

2=4 points

3=3 points

4=2 points

5=1 point

or you're gonna split the top 5 in two different lists one for Psy and one for Ambient like this:

1. Psytrance Album=5 points

2. Psytrance Album=4 points

3. Psytrance Album=3 points

1. Ambient Album=5 points

2. Ambient Album=4 points

I'm just curious :unsure:

I have a question.

So far many members haven't edit the posts for Psy and Ambient lists. And probably many won't. Also they are members that own one or two ambient releases, but they manage to be in their top 5. How are you gonna count that?

What I mean:

Hypothetically I am a member and put this list

1. Psytrance Album

2. Ambient Album

3. Psytrance Album

4. Psytrance Album

5. Ambient Album

How are you gonna count?

1=5 points

2=4 points

3=3 points

4=2 points

5=1 point

or you're gonna split the top 5 in two different lists one for Psy and one for Ambient like this:

1. Psytrance Album=5 points

2. Psytrance Album=4 points

3. Psytrance Album=3 points

1. Ambient Album=5 points

2. Ambient Album=4 points

I'm just curious :unsure:

First of all I will PM all members who have incomplete / not clear tops. This usually happens 1 week before closing the topic.

If the members don't reply, I will have to figure out a solution, it remains to be seen which of the 2 that you posted. It is also possible that I might make it an open issue here, and ask you guys some questions.

For now, we're just at the beginning, so I'm optimistic. :)

First of all I will PM all members who have incomplete / not clear tops. This usually happens 1 week before closing the topic.

If the members don't reply, I will have to figure out a solution, it remains to be seen which of the 2 that you posted. It is also possible that I might make it an open issue here, and ask you guys some questions.

I haven't got round to editing my post since the uptempo/ chill division. I will be getting a few albums in the near future though so will edit my top 5 uptempo releases after having given them a good listen. I haven't heard many chill releases this year that have grabbed me though, so will it be ok if I only have two entries in my chill top 5?

I've been thinking about this alot lately. I think that in the future, Psynews.org should have Top 5 "best of" list for Psytrance, Downtempo, and Goatrance. I think that is a more fun way to go about this, because those three are the biggest genre's on this site. It's very hard to choose a best Goa album over a best Psy album, and even I feel crammed because of this. But I wrote nothing about it until now, here. This is something for the Psynews team to consider in the future. I've given it careful thought and I think it's realistic. I don't make up the rules here however. Having too many (sub)genre top lists however may get overdone.

I would be very happy about that, since im not really into the goa/oldschool stuff.

I haven't got round to editing my post since the uptempo/ chill division. I will be getting a few albums in the near future though so will edit my top 5 uptempo releases after having given them a good listen. I haven't heard many chill releases this year that have grabbed me though, so will it be ok if I only have two entries in my chill top 5?

Yes.

In my opinion

If I were to pick the two best PSY albums that released in 2007, they would no doubt be Demension 5 re-mastered (re-release) and Transwave's Backfire. Both are A-ranking albums in my mind and my mind has less than 10 "A" Grade GOA albums in it. Having said that, the songs on these albums were made around 10 years before 2007. I can't help but realize that I couldn't nominate something like a movie that won best picture, for instance TWICE, if it re-released in 2007 because it already won or had the opportunity to win such an award in its time. In that sense, Transwave's Backfire has more of a winning advantage to me because it was not released before. But on the other hand, Transwave's superb compilation of "best of" tracks from 1994 to 1996 (around) was exactly that. Yes I love the album (still impressed Backfire released in 2007) and for sure it sounds like a brand new old-school Transwave album to me, being released in 2007, once I get past the two opening tracks I've heard before. I love D5's debut (re-release) and I find it awesome that Suntrip Records brought it back re-mastered too. For that matter I love both albums for different reasons and have difficulty saying which one I find better without conditions. Both are excellent.

That said, in my opinion these two albums are beyond anything that came out in 2007 for their genre. They are classic and so this makes it hardly fair for the newer artists to have a chance scoring best album of the year. 2007 is arguably the best year for New School Goa-Trance to date, thanks to Suntrip Records who released three steller GOA albums and the Metapsychic Records sleeper hit Mindsphere - Inner Cyclone. Also, Goasia had a great debut too with From Other Spaces.

The two downtempo/chill albums that really stood out to me the most are Asura - Life2 and Younger Brother - The Last Days of Gravity. Nothing else surpassed them based on every other 2007 downtempo, chill/ambient-related album I've heard all year.

MY TOP PSY/CHILL LIST IS ON PAGE 2 or 3 THUS NOT TO CONFUSE ANYONE.

Conclusion

The Best Old-School Goa album of the year is Transwave's Backfire because it never released before. It even includes a track or two that never released any year. It's like a dream come true, a new old-school Goa album being released in 2007. Dimension 5 is a classic and just as excellent in its own way. The re-mastering is awesome.

The Best New-School Goa album of the year is a cross between Mindsphere - Inner Cyclone and Goasia's Waves from Other Spaces, two very strong debuts.

The Best Dark Psytrance album of the year I found a cross between Penta - Horn Please and Xenomorph's DOTO. You need to look at these two albums like a critic, as objectively (observational, in contrast) as possible when disassociating the subjective self (preference, sense of fun). Penta's Horn Please was the best Full On dark psytrance album and Xenomoph DOTO (album title shortened for tedious length) was the strongest non Full On dark Psytrance album of the year. Xenomorph could have released a masterpiece if he cut out his angry VAC-esque singing at times but thankfully these moments are on several tracks (not the majority). Looking at the album as a whole, Xenomorph's 3 is richly atmospheric, contemplative, darkly driving, very melodic and emotive at times (once past the opening track) and disturbing like hell on wheels. The album ends tragically like a powerful film that ends in a sad, yet memorable and peaceful closure.

Best Dark Psytrance album: Xenomorph 3.

The Best Downtempo album of the year is a fight between Asura 3 and Younger Brother 2. Naturally Younger Brother is more popular and will win the vote here. I want to congradulate Asura for making a terrific album and the best album I've heard by them since Code Eternity which I referred to as a Goa Ambient-Trance epic like Goa in slow-motion, with beats. I pick Asura 3 and want to add that YB2 was great also; the end track on YB2 is the most beautiful non-Goa closing song I've heard all year. Asura 3 on the other hand had one of the most unexpected, (in style, emotion) powerful, and overall best opening songs followed by one of the best, aggressive Trance (track 2) songs I've heard all year.

Best Dowtempo album: Asura - Life2

The only compilation I bought was Twist Dreams so I have nothing to compare for comps this year.

--------------------------------

Moni, is it possible to keep and move this thread to the general section below once the vote has closed, for reference reasons, to look back and gain insight to the best albums from last year (07)?? Of course the actual votes would stop and not count anymore. I just think it's nice to go back sometimes and read people's view points. I don't know what happened to the old "best of" 2006 thread like this one (before the final results and discussion thread began), but I thought it could be cool to keep both, as long as people are informed that this thread basically becomes the nominations board once the "best of" is talied in and announced and an offical (relative to the vote) Best Of results thread opens.

PSY

1)LOGIC BOMB - SONIC ALGEBRA

2)SCORB - IPSO FVCTO

3)KINDZADZA - WAVES FROM INNER SPACE

4)ELECTRYPNOSE - WHERE DO WE GO NOW

5)EAT STATIC - DE-CLASSIFED

AMBIENT/CHILL/DOWNTEMPO/IDM

1)BOLA - KROUNGINE

Wow, i am troubled because of IGOR SWAMP album as well as FURIOUS - UNCANNY BEATS so maybe my psy list changes a bit in the near future....

Wow, i am troubled because of IGOR SWAMP album as well as FURIOUS - UNCANNY BEATS so maybe my psy list changes a bit in the near future....

Well at least the Furious deserves to be in the top 5 :clapping:

That Igor Swamp album is tasty too. There surely were too many top notch albums this year :posford: