Which is the One track that defines Psytrance?

Ormion

LSD and Starship 101 are a bit old-fashioned to fulfill Ormion's guidelines, aren't they? I mean, both are big tracks in their own rights, but as far as modern production is concerned, I don't think they quite hold up. I won't go into detail.

My personal instinct leans more towards something like Astral Projection's Trance Dance or Mahadeva '99. And then maybe something like X-Dream's Psychomachine or Juno Reactor's God is God. These tracks (none of which are big favorites of mine) took the spirit of Goa and made it "Psychedelic," as in "neo-Goa for the next wave."

I guess it's ultimately subjective, but that's my input.

e: Oh, and yeah, IM and Logic Bomb definitely qualify, I think.

Man, you totally understand me! :)

That's exactly what I mean. Yeah LSD is the most popular Psy/Goa track ever but if someone outside the scene listens to it, he will never understand how modern Psy is. And yes modern Psy sucks blah,blah but that's not important!

You have to find a track that is between everything, that defines the Psytrance of then and now, if possible! Logic Bomb sound perfect to me.

IMO

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It must be a track that is both Old School (Goa sound) but also has a modern touch.

It must be a track that is both Morning and Dark if possible.

It must be a track that is both for the mind (tripping) and body (dancing).

It must be a track that is psyshedelic in both melodic mayhem (Goa style) and FX mayhem (new style).

It must be a track with a big intro, climaxes, start-stops, classic samples and big outro. (classic Psy signatures).

Astral Projection - Enlightened Evolution

Old School, but a very modern touch to it. Its dark and melancholic, yet very uplifting. Makes you dance like a motherfucker on the dance floor. Is surely very psychedelic (tried it on both lsd and shrooms hehe). Does not have that long intro and the outro and break really, but still classifes! :) What do you think Ormion?

It must be a track that is both Old School (Goa sound) but also has a modern touch.

It must be a track that is psyshedelic in both melodic mayhem (Goa style) and FX mayhem (new style).

It must be a track with a big intro, climaxes, start-stops, classic samples and big outro. (classic Psy signatures).

Old School, but a very modern touch to it. Its dark and melancholic, yet very uplifting. Makes you dance like a motherfucker on the dance floor. Is surely very psychedelic (tried it on both lsd and shrooms hehe). Does not have that long intro and the outro and break really, but still classifes! :) What do you think Ormion?

that track is in the same classification of godlike. im listening to it right now

I think I have actually found an ALBUM that applies to all the above!

Darshan - Awakening (1998)

Its dark, its goa, its full on, its trance, its morning, its night, very high tripping score, melodic and melancholic, uplifting, big intros, climaxes and outros. Nearly every track applies IMO. :)

Are we talking about the album version? Well it's the only one I've heard and I LOVE that track. Well I love most (if not all) of AP's old stuff. :D

I think I have actually found an ALBUM that applies to all the above!

Darshan - Awakening (1998)

Its dark, its goa, its full on, its trance, its morning, its night, very high tripping score, melodic and melancholic, uplifting, big intros, climaxes and outros. Nearly every track applies IMO. :)

i agree but its such a slow pace

im more agressive and like it harder so i would have to counter that with..

dimension 5 - transdimensional

Jesus, that's even worse and how I imagine Reznik looks on his beloved speed.

Ok mate, last time I'm changing it, there's only so much effort I can put into just keeping you happy. Hope this avatar is more palatable to you.

Filteria- tiny universe

I actually gave this one some thought, and following the criteria set up by some users in this thread, I came up with this track. Why? Well, I think this is where Filteria really shined through, where he really displayed all of his talent, and portrayed a modern classic, with an enormous dose of old school energy. While many of his other work is said to be over the top or flooded with random synths and melodies or being too imitative of the Pleiadians or whaetever... This is just great- it has an old school touch, while soundind unquestionably modern, it is both psychedelic and melodic, IMHO, it is accompanied by a wonderful sample, it has a spectacular breakdown in its mid section, after which it finally builds up to a grand finale, with a superb melody, which is very well constructed, hypnotic, while not being over the top. :)

My two cents. What do y'all think?

Man, you totally understand me! :)

That's exactly what I mean. Yeah LSD is the most popular Psy/Goa track ever but if someone outside the scene listens to it, he will never understand how modern Psy is. And yes modern Psy sucks blah,blah but that's not important!

Since you answered your own question so well :lol: I'll add a newer track that answers all these questions: Perfect Stranger and Pena - Ode Ae Sol.

hahahahahahano. Not for me to say, I'm far far far too biassed... however if someone else mentions it then I'll be well chuffed!

UC - Fluorostani Transcendence? I'd agree on that one :)