03. Alternator X
04. Metamorphosis
05. Pump
06. No More Humans (Remix)
07. Pulse
08. Dead Meat II
09. Remote Access
10. Terrorbyte

If you are on this forum, you know who this is. The South African Nasty. Dr. Big Beat. This is Chris Hoy, a psytrance producer and DJ from South Africa. He has released 3 other artist albums and huge amounts of tracks on various compilations. He is also 1/3 of the project Twisted System. If you consider Astral Projection the Godfathers of Goa Trance, then an argument could be made that Chris is the patron saint of high-energy, acid-ridden psytrance. I am more than ready to see what this CD contains.

Kapitol- With an ominous pad and a grumbly bass line we are off. And it isn�t long before we are greeted with his signature acid sound. Eerie pads creep in and out with a nervous air, while leads weave in intricate patterns overhead. After the second break it�s all put together. One may argue that the pads mixed in with the finale might not go together, but not me. I think it just adds to the �on the edge� feeling. Great track!

Decadence- Stabbing synths above that angry bass line combine with an Underworld sample to create the mood. �This coven has become decadent!� With a running synth line and what sounds like a 303 put to good use, Chris hammers us. Add the stabs, and we�ve got quite the mover here. Great track!

Alternator X- Wow, what a funky bass line intro. My head is bobbing right out of the gate. It takes us right to the break which then sets up an evolving synth line, rumbling out of the Earth like a volcano. When the acid arrives, just give yourself over to it, and do whatever it says. This is my kind of night music! Perfect track! Yeah, I said it.

Metamorphosis- I had to read that a couple of times to make sure I typed it right. The beginning sounds like an old truck you would see in the Texas Chainsaw Massacre movies. The kick comes in with some strings and gives way to a metallic lead. Soon it is joined with a nice portamento sound, diving in at its whim. The break is one that doesn�t lose the kick, but has a regenerative quality to it. The acid comes in soon in the form of a wash. Good track.

Pump- This track starts like a lot of full-on out there these days, but coming out of the break is a rotating acid line. It continues to get filtered and even goes through a key change. I know, I don�t care too much for it either. But this is Shift. And you must know he isn�t going to leave it like that. And he doesn�t. Another acid line takes us into the break bringing an evolving minor key synth lead that is laid over more scary pads. Pretty good track.

No More Humans (Remix)- This track is a remix of his own from his album Redline. It can also be found on the Timecode Retrospective Vol. 1 compilation. I can�t remember what the original sounded like, but that synth growl in the beginning is nasty! Those escalating metallic leads add to the synth lead and now I�m starting to remember. This one surrounds you, making you look around to see that you aren�t being followed. Pretty good track!

Pulse- A soft, relaxing pad sound floats over the rambling bass, and is soon joined by a heavy kick. A macabre melody takes shape, and takes us right into the break, marking the return of that soft pad. With the addition of a scrambling acid arpeggio, the melody reconvenes and I am twirling amid the atmosphere. Great track!

Dead Meat II- This is the second part of a track he released on The Edge compilation. I hear a British report about Mad Cow disease. Immediately a synth melody bounces along with scary acid leads weaving their magic. After a break to collect weapons in his arsenal, he puts it all together in a brutal sonic assault, just to snatch it away with another quiet break. With rising distorted percussion and frenetic samples warning us, an acid line takes control. The end is an absolute corker! Great track!

Remote Access- A muffled lead slowly rises to the fore behind glassy and metallic pads. Acid rain showers us with goodness as the break contains a soft, melancholy synth. Nice groove out of the break with a frisky melody. You can tell with the repeated breaks that this track is building toward an explosive climax. This track puts it all together and has such a feeling of despair. I liked it. Great track!

Terrorbyte- Final track and this one has a tech-trance feel. It is slower and is probably there to allow you to catch your breath. The acid is still there, lest you forget, and it chugs along. Not a whole lot here but still nice.
In Conclusion: Wow, Chris has done it again. I am a huge fan of the South African sound and own all those releases. His music is so powerful and full of minor-key, melancholy melodies (say that 5 times fast!). He can move you and make you sad and contemplative, all in the same track. I think this is a great album and has no bad tracks on it. With output like this, I can only hope that this could be the hammer that finally kills all the generic happy, wave your glow stick in the air crap that is flooding the market. This one goes into my favorite list of 2007. 9.0/10

Favorites: 3(!!), 8(!), 1,2,4,5,7,9.

MDK

Some tracks are superb, some other very good and some other just good.

Since it's a Shift's album my hopes were too high but this album didn't let me down.

Still it's not even close to the masterpiece Excession.

Best tracks are Decadence, Pump and of course Dead Meat Part II...this one is from another galaxy!!! :blink:

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

I like this album a lot. Only bad moment is in track 2 when the bad vampire movie sample goes on for way too long. That was from Underworld right? One of the worst movies Ive ever seen. But I digress. Other than the sample, even that track is very good, I love the buildup before that sample, the way the synth riff is used in a semi-percussive sort of way. Alternator X, Metamorphosis and the No More Humans remix are also very good. Ive found that it's a good album to introduce people to psytrance with especially if they have goth/industrial leanings.

8.5/10

I like this album a lot. Only bad moment is in track 2 when the bad vampire movie sample goes on for way too long. That was from Underworld right? One of the worst movies Ive ever seen. But I digress. Other than the sample, even that track is very good, I love the buildup before that sample, the way the synth riff is used in a semi-percussive sort of way. Alternator X, Metamorphosis and the No More Humans remix are also very good. Ive found that it's a good album to introduce people to psytrance with especially if they have goth/industrial leanings.

8.5/10

I actually dig this sample a lot. I think it fits perfectly with the track. Of course I'm in love with the track so much that my opinion doesn't count. :D

Seriously Decadence is a work of a genius! It grew on me so much that I find it today one of the best tracks I've ever listened.

But Dead Meat (both parts) are still better. :)

• 6 years later...

This is still a monster. A monster dragon breathing acidic fire and stomping villages with its big beat feets! If I had to put his albums in order beginning with the most awesome it would look something like this:

Excession

Alternator

DIrty Signal

Byte Me

Redline

All of them are really good though if you like that South African sound.

Mdk

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...