Alien Project-Activation Portal (H20 Records)

Pandemonium

Posted Image

Track List:

1. Super Buster

2. Missing Linker

3. NRG

4. Tweaky rmx

5. Deeper

6. Activation Portal

7. Get Up

8. Groovy rmx

9. Yellow Blaze

10. Aztechno Dream (Shanti rmx)

I was a little reluctant to pick this album up after my dissappointment with H20s first release I-Drop, but being an Alien project fan from the beginning, and also after a few good listens to the samples I was hooked. It sounds like Alien Project has finally achieved the sound that many artists such as GMS or Shanti have tried to accomplish in the recent past. Ari's sound has definitely changed, and it is more apparent now with this album than ever before.

Super Buster. This album starts off full force ahead with a pounding bass line. Some pretty nice uplifting melodies are presented in this track, but there is still something missing here. A good track, but not a stand out on the album.

Missing Linker. The melody here is similar to that of track one. A few good guitar riffs here without over doing it. (Im not a big fan of to many guitar sounds in Psytrance) A good build up near the 5 minute mark. A definate danceable toon.

NRG. I love the the underlying melodies on this one. Good breakdown near the beginning. A very trancy sound, however a bit to short.

Tweaky rmx. This is a rmx of an Astrix song off the album of Artcore. To sum this rmx up of what Ari has done with this song in one word-Modernizied. Towards the end of this track you have that signature Alien Project sound. The break down is a bit weak for my taste, but I actually enjoyed this rmx more than the original.

Deeper. This song has several samples of, and is sort of, in a way a psy rmx of a track called As The Rush Comes, by an artist named Motorcycle (a trance producer) call me a cheese lover, but I really enjoyed hearing some good old female trance vocals in a psy song for a change. (Better than Dali any day) Overall this song is as it is named deep and floating with a hint of atmosphere. A really good melody towards the end to keep it from getting boring.

Activation Portal. Here we have the albums self titled song. This is one of the stand out tracks with a good tempo, and of course good melodies. A great variety of sounds and a spiritual sort of female chant throughout. The finale build up should make the dance floors explode.

Get Up. Another blaster getting even further away from the sound of the previous tracks. "So Get Up" I have heard these male vocals in so many different tracks from psytrance to hard house, but they fit well here. Right when you think the track is about to break down, it keeps going. A great driving stomper.

Groovy rmx. Ari does a rmx here of his own song from the album Dont Worry Be Groovy. I think he should have left this one alone. Although there are some good elements present here, Im just not feeling this one. The original is definetely better with that true psychedelic vibe.

Yellow Blaze. This track I can just close my eyes to and drift away. A very nice touch with an overall dreamy mood. Blaze one up!

Aztechno Dream (Shanti rmx). And yet another rmx. This time by Shanti rmxing Aztechno Dream from the timeless album Aztechno Dream. Shanti doesnt do a bad job, but IMO when you rmx a song if it is not better than the original then leave it alone. Even if the rmx is as good as, it is still just a waste of time. This track is less psychedelic than the original and less pumping, Even though there are some new refreshing sounds and melodies here.

To sum up this album I would have to say. Morning Full-on of course and highly melodic and fluffy. I have a strong feeling that many people are not going to like this album. All of the purists and goaists will most likely think this is just the further decline of a once great and pure genre of music. What Ari has done here is take a generic sound and and spiced it up with some juicy production. Thus making that generic sound not so generic anymore. The one thing I liked about this album is that I didnt get bored. I look forward to his release party in Tokyo. Its not scheduled yet, but Tokyo has a release party for virtually every major artists album. This one is gonna be a mad man on the dance floor.

I give this album a 7/10. Favs..4,5,6,7,9

You can hear samples at these links:

http://www.boadistribution.com/news/H2O/H2OCD002/

http://www.psyshop.com/shop/CDs/h2o/h2o1cd002.html

• 4 weeks later...

It looks like DeathPosture didnt agree with me on this one. B)

http://www.psyreviews.net/index.php?option...1&Itemid=46

You've got me confused with the almighty Damion...

I haven't reviewed this one - and I don't intend to. After one attempted listen, I had to dump my copy in utter disgust. Its predictability is exceeded only by its complete lack of edge. It sucks beyond comprehension.

/DP

Well, I've heard some extended samples of this album, and it is bad. As cheesy as (most) dark psy is mindless. If you want to hear how not to do melodic psy, here's a great example. I maintain that there's a world of difference between this and stuff like SynSUN and Safi, but just watch the dark heads try and prove me wrong.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

well, i don't like it either, but yellow blaze and missing linker still have that good cheese sensation gms rarely has to offer, so 4/10

i wonder which was the original song again for yellow blaze, such a great simple melody (almost retarded :P)

edit: after listening, i can conclude he used the same riff (cafe del mar) both in yellow blaze and in NRG?? wow thats retarded (i dont remember NRG and dont have it anymore so i cant check it to be sure, maybe i am just confusing yellow blaze with nrg))

:drama:

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Erm, Cafe del Mar is an above average "Ibiza" trance track from the early 90's. One of the earliest tracks in the genre.

However, it hasn't aged gracefully and the remixes I've heard pretty much suck.

I don't get what you're all so excited about it.

Edit: Oh, and this album is indeed formulaic and predictable. Hommega style Israeli full-on. I don't like it, myself. It will, however, definitely scorch the dance floor during sunrise at quite a few nature parties around here, in Israel.

That is - if Alien Project chooses to play in any of these nature parties. I somehow doubt he will.

I really dont care that everyone hates this release, every time I listen to this I want to move uncontrolably. Call it predictable, call it boring, call it formulaic, but when push comes to shove this music makes me want to move, and thats the whole point of psy trance. :posford: :posford: :posford:

• 4 weeks later...

Nice Album. :posford:

I love the melodies.

Hypnotic and very trancey.

Uplifiting and positive.

Best Tracks: 2,6

I like a break now and again from the hardcore serious - technophilia.

I'm betting the Alien Project guy is not surprised at some of these responses. I think he knows what he's doing. Many people act as if when somone produces an album like this that they've "Lost it" or somthing. Perhaps they have not lost anything? But simply changed out or developed their tastes.

I always get the picture from some reviewers like the artist has simply become brain damaged or lost moter control of their limbs by the negativity of some reviews. No moderation, just absolute negative. Suffice to say when somone doens't like the album they do not think that perhaps the artist has not the sole mission of pleasing those around him as much as expressing his artistic skill.

But I'm bias,

I like this one of Alien Projects work.

My 2 cents.

ditto

• 2 months later...

Nice Album. :posford:

I love the melodies.

Hypnotic and very trancey.

Uplifiting and positive.

Best Tracks: 2,6

I like a break now and again from the hardcore serious - technophilia.

I'm betting the Alien Project guy is not surprised at some of these responses. I think he knows what he's doing. Many people act as if when somone produces an album like this that they've "Lost it" or somthing. Perhaps they have not lost anything? But simply changed out or developed their tastes.

I always get the picture from some reviewers like the artist has simply become brain damaged or lost moter control of their limbs by the negativity of some reviews. No moderation, just absolute negative. Suffice to say when somone doens't like the album they do not think that perhaps the artist has not the sole mission of pleasing those around him as much as expressing his artistic skill.

But I'm bias,

I like this one of Alien Projects work.

My 2 cents.

Lol "expressing his artistic skill". The only good music I've ever heard from alien project is the Midnight Sun cd, but then again, the good tracks came from Astrix. NHJO beats this album any day!

• 4 years later...

I don't feel this one needs an in depth review. At this point it would just seem like piling on. Let's just see where it ranks on the James Franco/Seth Rogen hilarity scale.

Posted Image

Yep. It's off the chart.

Although it almost doesn't seem fair to decry an album that is almost 6 years old. Then again, if I can save just one soul from this full-on sh*tstorm, it's worth it.

Right?

Mdk

I don't feel this one needs an in depth review. At this point it would just seem like piling on. Let's just see where it ranks on the James Franco/Seth Rogen hilarity scale.

Posted Image

Yep. It's off the chart.

Although it almost doesn't seem fair to decry an album that is almost 6 years old. Then again, if I can save just one soul from this full-on sh*tstorm, it's worth it.

Right?

Mdk

:lol: :lol: :lol: Love your honesty and the way you use to do your reviews and describe the music