Unique/Interesting Releases

healium

I haven't bought any new music in quite awhile and am looking for something truly interesting and unique..

Here are some albums I've bought over the past few years that I really liked:

Fuzzion - Black Magic

James Reipas - Uwaga

Nystagmus - The Immaculate Perception

Reefer Decree - Point of You

Electrypnose - Subliminal Melancholies

Process - One Drop or Two?

Matenda - Mediteran

Downbeat Liquid vol 1

Bluetech - Elementary Particles & Prima Materia

I listened to the samples from the Sattel Battle album and that sounded really interesting..

I don't like the Full-On or aggressive or "darkpsy" type stuff... I don't really like the progressive trance either... I do like intricate/complex and highly psychedelic music though...

Has anyone heard an album recently of any electronica genre that they thought was exceptional and quite unique?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Process - One Drop or Two?

This one is from 2000, so 7 yrs ago. :P

My choices :

SON KITE - COLOURS ( 2004 )

ATMOS - 2ND BRIGADE ( 2004 )

X-DREAM - WE INTERFACE ( 2004 )

MIDI MILIZ - NON STANDARDS ( 2005 )

TRENTEMøLLER - THE LAST RESORT ( 2006 )

CARBON BASED LIFEFORMS - THE WORLD OF SLEEPERS ( 2006 )

X-Dream - We Interface (Gravity Plus)

Fuzzion - Black Magic (Boshke Beats)

Midimiliz - Non Standards (Gravity Plus)

James Holden - The Idiots Are Winning (Border Community)

Atmos - 2nd Brigade (Spiral Trax)

Kino Oko - Lost Entertainment (Horns & Hoofs)

V/A - Chronika Chapter 2 (Boshke Beats)

The one album that comes to my mind is Benza - Retrofuturism. Melodic but highly psychedelic imho.

Alrighty, thanks for the input!

Listened to the samples of "Non-Standard" and "Retrofuturism" - both sound killer - definately will be ordering those! I think I like the Atmos too...

I have the Trentemoller, Sun Kite, Kino Oko, and CBL albums...

I liked Sun Kite "Colours" tghe first couple listens but I quickly became bored with it, it has this shallow repetitive quality that really annoys me...

The Trentemoller album sounds like really good art, but I can't say I like it that much, if that makes any sense... I think it will grow on me - some tracks I really do like also...

I didn't like the Kino Oko much at all, just didn't get it...

The CBL is nice stuff, though in exactly the same style/vibe/sound as every other Ultimae release...

I shouldn't say limit your recommendations to the past few years - any electronica type album or psytrance album that is phenomenal I'd like to know about...

My favorite stuff is the older Koxbox/Hux Flux/IM/Sandman/X-Dream anyway - the pre-2002 releases mainly.... Older Autechre, Plaid, Jean Michael-Jarre too...

So any which recommendations would be great...

healium said:

My favorite stuff is the older Koxbox/Hux Flux/IM/Sandman/X-Dream anyway - the pre-2002 releases mainly.... Older Autechre, Plaid, Jean Michael-Jarre too...

Then his new album 'Teo And Tea' is for you!Pure electronic stuff,great melodies and unique style from a true legend.Search for samples if you haven't done it already.Release date '26 March'.A cd that i'm going to buy for sure.

healium said:

Then his new album 'Teo And Tea' is for you!Pure electronic stuff,great melodies and unique style from a true legend.Search for samples if you haven't done it already.Release date '26 March'.A cd that i'm going to buy for sure.

New Jarre? Cool! I'll certainly be looking into that myself. Thanks for the info. :D

SBK - Treibstoff (2001): conerstone in progressive trance

Element - Full Moon (2002): a live band with great vocal trance

Ooze - Where the fields never end: 100% chill-out album by Sebastian Mullaert from Son Kite, one of the best chill album I own

Tegma - Around the world in 80 min's (2006) : world music meets progressive.

Glad you like Benza - Retrofuturism. There's another one that came into my mind: Planum - Elaborate. It's also melodic but a bit more wild with highly psychedelic effects and melodies. Reminds me a tiny little bit on the old IM stuff.

Time Trap - where do you buy/learn about/hear of these IDM releases? Is there an IDM forum or community somewhere also?

Well it's like 7-8 major labels.

If you follow their releases you don't need to look further.

And now you have to say "which labels" and then i'll have to reply and stuff.

Yah I'm really out of the loop - which labels are you talking about? - like Warp records and stuff?

Nah,Warp went too commercial.

I'm talking about labels like:

M-Tronic (one of my favorites)

Hymen Records (my top favorite,sub-label of giant Ant-Zen which has a huge catalogue but focuses on the more industrial side of electronica except for the Ab Ovo,S:Cage releases and some others i can't remember)

Toytronic Records (they stopped releasing for quite a while now but they've got some amazing stuff)

Sublight Records

Ad Noiseam (another favorite)

Schematic

n5MD

There are more,of course.But at least half of today's IDM top releases are being released by these.

Another cool label to check out is Boltfish. I recently picked up a bunch of their stuff and it sort of has that Toytronic aesthetic, which I enjoy. The album by obfusc, called Internal Countryside, is very good and hasn't left my CD player for a few days. Melodic, not noisy, IDM with great soundwork.

Yah I'm really out of the loop - which labels are you talking about? - like Warp records and stuff?

Let me add:

City Centre Offices

Merck

Sending Orbs

Type

Not all these release just idm..