The Bassline

snowball

Just 'cause something is difficult, it doesn't make it any less shit!

621779[/snapback]

yes

621787[/snapback]

then you obviously know that making a 1/16 bassline can fit perfectly in certain cases, which are not few. each bassline has several feelings delivered by it and fullon basslines also have certain feelings. so yes - just about every fullon track uses this type of bassline, but it doesn't mean that it is crap. i myself barely listen to fullon anymore, but it doesn't mean that every track i hear with this bassline is automatically dissed.

this is like track racism - "we will not listen to it just because it has this bassline!!11".

i wonder what if all trance classics would suddently have killargh basslines. what would happen then and what would you think about it. music stays exactly the same - just different basslines. B)

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Elysium

then you obviously know that making a 1/16 bassline can fit perfectly in certain cases, which

Yes if done the right way and done by a person who got talent and know how to make it sound his way instead of just copying someone else. This is rarely the case with 95% of the fullon tracks done by wannabe artists with no or extremely little knowledge of music making.

about every fullon track uses this type of bassline, but it doesn't mean that it is crap. i myself barely listen to fullon anymore, but it doesn't mean that every track i hear with this bassline is automatically dissed.

No not every bassline but as I wrote above about 95% due to the reason descibed above.

this is like track racism - "we will not listen to it just because it has this bassline!!11".

Absolutely nonsense. It got nothing to do with racism at all but all to do with recognising very bad mass manufactured basslines done by people with no musical knowledge whatsoever. Thats why they mass-copy basslines in the first place instead of being creative and making their own basslines.

i wonder what if all trance classics would suddently have killargh basslines. what would happen then and what would you think about it. music stays exactly the same - just different basslines.  B)

621867[/snapback]

Then they would not be classics anymore. They would be yet another kilarghhhhh track in the assembly line.

At the end I want to say that despite you say it's not easy to make such bassline I totally disagree with you as someone who's made music for 20+ years and without bragging know a lot about music making and the technical side of it too.

It's is indeed very easy to make a typical Fullon bassline. Otherwise you would not see so many people copy those basslines. Point? = 95% amatures copying basslines because they got no clue how to make their own more complex basslines.

So don't even say it's not easy. It's all about placing some single notes in between some KIK's. Most of the time like this:

KIK B B B KIK B B B KIK B B B KIK B B B

If you are lucky with one key change in the end of the loop

It's way more difficault to make a bassline that's creative and not so obvious.

Now this is a topic about fullon basslines so thats why we talk about fullon basslines here. It can be adopted to many other genres too so don't start shouting wolf, music racisim and closeminded thanks.

Guest Elysium

so in the end - the problem is not with the basslines - it's with the people making it.

good - we both agree. case closed. :)

621881[/snapback]

In your a bit weird way of putting it. Yes we somehow agree :)

Even though i would still say the bassline is indeed part of the problem since its what people have to put up with at countless parties and festivals weekend after wekends.

A crap bassline is a crap bassline and by that could be seen as the problem :)

Just 'cause something is difficult, it doesn't make it any less shit!

621779[/snapback]

100 % agreed, the fullon bassline is very easy to make though, you can make it with the crappy TS404 and the chittiest waveshape, that´s the fullon bassline.

100 % agreed, the fullon bassline is very easy to make though, you can make it with the crappy TS404 and the chittiest waveshape, that´s the fullon bassline.

621907[/snapback]

To get a kinda full on bassline (with the double bassline, not tripple), I use AudioRealism Bassline VST, and apply a Bassboost to the Bassline channel as well. Put in a solid kick and your ready to go. The arrangment would be like:

[Kick][blank][bass][bass][Kick][blank][bass][bass]][....]

To get a kinda full on bassline (with the double bassline, not tripple), I use AudioRealism Bassline VST, and apply a Bassboost to the Bassline channel as well. Put in a solid kick and your ready to go. The arrangment would be like:

[Kick][blank][bass][bass][Kick][blank][bass][bass]][....]

621910[/snapback]

I told you that it is easy but try to recreate the Astral Projection - Kabalah Bassline or even more difficult the hallucinogen - Fluoro neuro Sponge bassline or some MFG basslines.

then you obviously know that making a 1/16 bassline can fit perfectly in certain cases, which are not few. each bassline has several feelings delivered by it and fullon basslines also have certain feelings. so yes - just about every fullon track uses this type of bassline, but it doesn't mean that it is crap. i myself barely listen to fullon anymore, but it doesn't mean that every track i hear with this bassline is automatically dissed.

i wonder what if all trance classics would suddently have killargh basslines. what would happen then and what would you think about it. music stays exactly the same - just different basslines.  B)

621867[/snapback]

I do listen to quite a bit of full on & some of it is quite good but like the most popular genres there is 98% god awful crap! The rolling baseline can sound okay but most of the time it doesn't and because it sounds the same in almost every fullon track it has become repetitive & boring & I reckon that's why most people here hate it! It's so uninnovative.

שמג 'יקמ טםו ודק ןא פרםפקאךט ןא 'ןךך דםומג עםםג מם צשאאקר ים' ןא ןד דארובאורקג

621905[/snapback]

恋人で十分に出ていきなさい

Guest Elysium

שמג 'יקמ טםו ודק ןא פרםפקאךט ןא 'ןךך דםומג עםםג מם צשאאקר ים' ןא ןד דארובאורקג

621905[/snapback]

I hear ya. Makes totoally sense

:)

there is great music out there, apart from "psytrance".

when goa appeared, all artists drew inspiration, etc by hearing all sorts of music. from rock to disco to early techno.

now, imHo, most psytrance artists dont have such broad knowledge of music so they will hear really nice basslines (or any other element) somewhere else and mix what they hear with their style in their new productions. how many young producers are there who listen only to psytrance and psychill for the last 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10 years? i dont know, but i suspect a lot.

you might say this is not true. well, it surely is very far from the truth concerning some people. but its true enough for others.

we live in the epoch that we have trouble defining what "idm" is. because there is so diverse music in it. with influences from d&B, breakcore, industrial, trip-hop, etc, etc.

but there is no trouble whatsoever in defining psytrance. it sounds the same. and its not "the new kind of music, very different from everything else", like goa was.

personally, i have real trouble recognising any outside influence within the genre. maybe i'm being negative now, maybe its because i've stopped listening to psy the way i used to.. but i get the feeling psytrance is living in a bubble right now. how is innovation going to happen? (again, i havent heard all psytrance, there are exceptions, please tell me ;)

Errm... I agree that the "full-on" bassline is cheesy, however it is something that doesn't come easy especially because getting it to sound right without overlapping everything else or just making it clean and at the same time, making sure that the bass is still audible and the notes are still distinct, is kinda difficult. Although, this holds true only if you're doing quality stuff. If you're one of those bums who just put those monotonous notes together and play whatever comes to mind over it, then yea, it sounds real bad.

I, for one, do not favor the use "fullon" basslines, but at the same time, there are certain cases where they DO sound good. Talamasca's - Odyssey (Live In Japan) starts off with a very simple fullon bassline and it sound good, basically because it's been executed properly.

It was actually kinda amusing seeing both parties having this light weight argument over wether it's good or not. Thanks for the giggles. The first post in particular mused me. I must admit, I felt his pain too :P

I love TG's basslines! :)

And I'm going to try and listen to all of you guys' music to entertain and enlighten myself :)

what an idiotic thread..

if you don't like that bassline well what the fuck is your problem then?

go quit listen to psytrance then becasue all the recent psytrance is about that bassline, except suomi, old school and progressive doesn't use it all the time..

personally i think it is very good, if you can cry on the bassline why don't you on the 4/4 kick?

for as far as i know every music under the same genre has some equal sounds or structures and in psytrance it is the 4/4 kick with the rolling bassline..

no problem you hate it, but is it needed to make a thread for it?

you can do these things:

1) stop listening to psytrance and look for something you do like

2) stop listening to the kbbbkbbbkbbbkbbb-trance and start listening to old school, prog or suomi.. if you already do so, your post was very useless

3) start making psytrance your own and make some decent basslines

again, i don't care you don't like the bassline, but I do care that you start actign like grandpa's who cry about the good old days or have to be pessimistic about everything, no-one say you HAVE to listen to this music is it?

what an idiotic thread..

if you don't like that bassline well what the fuck is your problem then?

go quit listen to psytrance then becasue all the recent psytrance is about that bassline, except suomi, old school and progressive doesn't use it all the time..

personally i think it is very good, if you can cry on the bassline why don't you on the 4/4 kick?

for as far as i know every music under the same genre has some equal sounds or structures and in psytrance it is the 4/4 kick with the rolling bassline..

no problem you hate it, but is it needed to make a thread for it?

you can do these things:

1) stop listening to psytrance and look for something you do like

2) stop listening to the kbbbkbbbkbbbkbbb-trance and start listening to old school, prog or suomi.. if you already do so, your post was very useless

3) start making psytrance your own and make some decent basslines

again, i don't care you don't like the bassline, but I do care that you start actign like grandpa's who cry about the good old days or have to be pessimistic about everything, no-one say you HAVE to listen to this music is it?

622055[/snapback]

You differ something, fullon isn´t psytrance, fullon is another musicgenre, oldschool is psytrance but fullon has ntothing to do with psytrance.

where did i say that :blink: ?

goatrance is nearly dead now (allthough it is rising again!) and 90% of the stuff comming out has the bassline, including dark, full-on, forest trance, even some progressive and suomi have it..

I myself don't even like the high majority of full-on coming out these days, but not because of the bassline, but because of the bad melodies and also because it is always the same.. i still like the basslines there most of the time, but the rest of the content makes it boring

i really like hard dark goa, and it also got the bassline, but because the content is better there i like it a lot

but still: psytrance=full on+dark+suomi+progressive+everything that is released under a psy-label..

maybe full on isn't psytrance for you because you don't find it psychedelic? i don't find it that psychedelic either, well not most of the time

here in belgium they even call everything goa, cuz psytrance sounds so ridiculous, but in fact everything released under these labels can be called psytrance imo.. but this is an other off topic discussion

Guest Elysium

Errm... I agree that the "full-on" bassline is cheesy, however it is something that doesn't come easy especially because getting it to sound right without overlapping everything else or just making it clean and at the same time, making sure that the bass is still audible and the notes are still distinct, is kinda difficult.

No actually it's very easy. Go to any forum, this one included, and you got tons of questions and answer about how to make a clean killer bassline. It's not rocket sience. It's one or 2 notes drawn with your mouse in between the KIK's, a ftp downloaded preset from some standard synth, some EQ and compression turtorials from these mentioned forums and if you are really really advanced you use sidechanging but I doubt most know what it is anyways :)

And volila you got a killer bassline!

If it is so hard and "advanced" to make a killer bass then it puzzles me that so many untalented people suceed making it ;)

Edited by Elysium

No actually it's very easy.  Go to any forum, this one included, and you got tons of questions and answer about how to make a clean killer bassline.  It's not rocket sience. It's one or 2 notes drawn with your mouse in between the KIK's and if you are really advanced you use sidechanging but I doubt most know what it is anyways :)

If it is so hard and "advanced" to make a killer bass then it puzzles me that so many untalented people suceed making it ;)

622076[/snapback]

lol the mixdown is very hard, believe me

Guest Elysium

lol the mixdown is very hard, believe me

622077[/snapback]

With todays computers and programs it does not require much insight. And yes I agree some of the Fullon artists do a good job with the mix but that's not the same as doing a great job with the boring repeteitive standard basslines etc. ;)

i agree that a bassline at the smae note all the time can get boring too, but if you think it is so easy, post me a bassline you made, which is perfectly mixed in the song, so minimal shadowing please.. it is not easy to make it sound good when played absolutely solo, but making it sound good in the song is way harder

Guest Elysium

i agree that a bassline at the smae note all the time can get boring too, but if you think it is so easy, post me a bassline you made, which is perfectly mixed in the song, so minimal shadowing please.. it is not easy to make it sound good when played absolutely solo, but making it sound good in the song is way harder

622080[/snapback]

I don't think it's so easy. I know it's easy. With over 300 tracks released and 20 years of production experience I dare to say, without trying to brag, I know what i talk about.

I am sure you wont have a hard time finding my tracks online ;)

Edit: But you won't find any killarghhhhs :)

edit 2: Actually I got one track that prove it's damn easy. Elysium : Trancelestial Psychobabas. I hate to admit it but that bassline could be a early version of today's kilarghhsss... And it's very clean and sit perfect in the track... And it was done in a matter of 10-15 mins ;)

Edited by Elysium

I don't think it's so easy. I know it's easy. With over 300 tracks released and 20 years of production experience I dare  to say, without trying to brag, I know what i talk about.

I am sure you wont have a hard time finding my tracks online ;)

Edit:  But you won't find any killarghhhhs  :)

edit 2:  Actually I got one track that prove it's damn easy.  Elysium : Trancelestial Psychobabas. I hate to admit it but that bassline could be a early version of today's kilarghhsss... And it's very clean and sit perfect in the track... And it was done in a matter of 10-15 mins ;)

622082[/snapback]

Good Elysium, at least you didn´t produce killarghs, you have made very good psytrance, the zodiac youth remixes are amazing man and i am glad to be able to speak with such a person like you because i listened to your songs last year in my holidays now i like them more because they remind me on them and i can´t believe to be able to talk to a person from who i listened music and it was great, so remember and tell your kids to not smoke acid :lol:

Good Elysium, at least you didn´t produce killarghs, you have made very good psytrance, the zodiac youth remixes are amazing man and i am glad to be able to speak with such a person like you because i listened to your songs last year in my holidays now i like them more because they remind me on them and i can´t believe to be able to talk to a person from who i listened music and it was great, so remember and tell your kids to not smoke acid  :lol:

622084[/snapback]

You should burn those mp3s on a cd and get him to sign the cd-r. That would be so frikkin' awesome.