The Chillout magic

snowball

Ok so i want you to to tell me all about ambient/chillout.

I want to know artists,albums ,compilations,genres,collaborations,flutes,citars,tavlas,beatless soundscapes,tribal madness,acidic chillout,organic chillout, EVERYTHING you got, am going chillout-mode! :):D

I need something soothing and relaaaaxing(or stuff that puts you in trance states,like tribal does) or i am going to torch the neighborhood down :P .

anything to get the multi-dimensional fractal projections of the universal mind at work. :ph34r::)

and dont start about the search option,this forum is so dead the last weeks,that its starting to rot!move your fingers! :D (or you can post some links to existing threads! :) )

i know some names allready,but i want you to elaborate!

this goes out to the chillers that hang here,Time_Trap is one,i think Snaphino is one too,and all the others i forget,convert me!! :)

Ok, here we go, essential stuff right here (and please remember my taste is impeccable... hehehe). Other peeps that seem to know their stuff really well will include abasio, seraph

Anyhoo, I'm just gonna give names, I think, and behind it I'll try to put a small description... Alphabetically! Oh and mind you: for atmospheric (or real) ambient, talk to Astro Cortex, Seraph, Bahamut, Nick etc.

Adrian Sherwood (and anything by On U Sound: dub as dub was meant to be)

Androcell (nice eclectic dub-fused psychill)

Bluetech (idm-ish dubby emo and psychedelic chill)

Boss-a-Troniq albums (electronic bossanova, very tropical and happy music)

Capsula (recent very-full-dubbed-psychill but quality stuff)

Children of the Bong (might sound a little dated, but psychedelic dub for sure, longspun tracks)

Carbon Based Lifeforms (acidic ambient! floating stuff, very nice for listening all the way through)

Digital Mystery Tour (not one of my favorites, but good psychill)

Entheogenic (one of the godfathers of psybient. lot of ethnic influences, almost everybody knows it, that's why I'd never spin it :P)

Eat Static (not only known for their chillout, but the chillout songs they've made rank amongst my highest favs!)

Flexitones (jazzy scratchy breakbeatish chill, not your daily cup of tea, but still very good!)

Hi Fi Companions (see above, but then different ;))

Nodens Ictus (amazing afterparty chilled out spacelines, amazing stuff)

Ooze (one of my favorite spaced out albums, perfect for tripping or smoking; I see whole landscapes before me; very warm and touching stuff)

Ott (boo! needs no introduction!)

Orb (well... see the necessary thread

Solar Fields (everything by Ultimae rocks and so does he. Topnotch soundscapes, trippy, acidridden, original, very high quality)

Sabres of Paradise (from the old warp-stable... I love this, but once again: not everyone will)

... shpongle ...

Tripswitch (I used to like it more than I do now... typical psybient, imo, but not too cliché)

Toires (totally ethnic chillout, but in a good way, most of it at least)

Damn, these were some choices from my first cd-map, the most accessible stuff that is. There's loooaaadds more where that came from, but I'm tired and hungry and going to leave now. :P

VA's

Dissolving Clouds

Fahrenheit Project cd´s

Floating Point 1 II and 1I1

Natural Born Chillers

More will follow, when I'm up for it... :)

ok here we go again..

check everything made by :

Robert Rich

Steve Roach

Biosphere

Vidna Obmana

Alio Die

Brian Eno

Vir Unis

Matthew Florianz

Tom Heasley

Brian Lustmord

**Vidna Obmana and Steve Roach have lots of albums with tribal elements.. percussions etc.. and flutes or didgeridoo too.. Robert Rich is also known for playing and digitally manipulating the flute really well...**

Delerium / Synaesthesia

Aes Dana

ISHQ

Bluetech

Saafi Brothers

Solar Fields

GALAXY [sideproject of Borris Blenn]

**Solar Fields and Galaxy , as well as Akasha project, do usually use sounds that are common in psy/goa as well...**

some individual albums

Akasha Project - Cosmic Ambient Garden

Plastikman - Closer [minimalistic]

Oliver Lieb - Constellation

Stevie Be Zet - Archaic Modulation [!! no comments check the review it's released in 1993 if my memory serves me well]

**different style, abstract/idm/ambient** :

MURCOF

Polyspace - Tactual Sense

Funckarma - Solid State

AB OVO

DISPLACER

Vladislav Delay - The Four Quarters

enough for a perilipsis.

Dont forget the godfarther releases of all "weird" mystical chill:

The Infinity Project - Mystical Experiments

&

The Mystery Of The Yeti

:rolleyes:

And the

VA "The Mystery Of The Yeti Part 2"

which was a real eye opener for me towards how nice psychedelic chill music can be! After that I got:

Shpongle - Are You Shpongled which just blew me away, I have been hooked ever since :wacko:

Hmm but some more recommendations should be:

Abakus - That Much Closer To The Sun (Liquid Sound Design (LSD)),

Dub Trees - Nature Never Did Betray The Heart That Loved Her (LSD) (Dubby ;) )

The Kumba Mela Experiment - East Of The River Ganges (LSD) Etnica kinda...

VA - Youth In Dub - Orchestra Mystique (LSD)

VA - Dr Alex Paterson's Voyage Into Paradise (LSD) what a floating trip :)

VA - Elucidations (LSD) Mmmm

VA - Butterfly Dawn (LSD) ahhhh

And when we are with the british labels:

VA - Twelve (TIP.World) very atmospheric and crispy still;)

VA - Infinite Excursions 3 (TIP.World) B)

Other stuff would be:

Kaya Project both cds are top notch! (Walking Through & Elixir both on Interchill) :D

VA - Arcana (Interchill)

VA - Talisman (Interchill)

I agree with most of your recommendations aswell Snapinho :)

Thats why I wont start listing the same guys as you did, I hope I did'nt miss some though ;)

Everything from Ultimae is :rolleyes: !!!

Of old school ambient I agree on Brian Eno, I want to ad Jean Michel Jare - Magnetic Fields, Zoolook & Oxygen (though its not ambient as Brian Eno made it its still classics for me)

Mmm chill :D Just makes me happy!

wow guys, i mean WOW!!! :blink::D

what a brainstorm am having right now!

THANKS!!! :):):):)

i will reply with a better reply later,cause i have to put some fuel to the machine now! :P

Drosophila => about tip-mystical experiences.

it was my FIRST chill album,i ever owned! And what an album! the depth of the tracks is unbelievable,the story this album tells,its pure genius!!!!

whatever i say about it,isnt enough ! its my all time favorite album! :)

Drosophila => about tip-mystical experiences.

it was my FIRST chill album,i ever owned! And what an album! the depth of the tracks is unbelievable,the story this album tells,its pure genius!!!!

whatever i say about it,isnt enough ! its my all time favorite album! :)

606426[/snapback]

Thats a great way to start :P hmm I had to do with The Mystery Of The Yeti 2 ;) and you are comlpetely right its a strike of genius! You can really feel they are trying to tell wonderful stories with sounds (and magic ) :)

two I forgot before was (they are new maybe thats why..?):

Electrypnose - Sublimal Melancholies

&

Psyfactor - Endless Univers (atmospheric and spacey.... You have to be into this kind of chill to like it... hmm at least I think so ;) )

Both released by Ajana Records (also worth keeping an eye on!)

blablablablabla

mostly I agree, but I must add that this is also very 'psychill', a genre which has started to bore me for some time now. Very good music, but well.. doesn't go for all of it of course, but too much ethnical yipyap started to get to me. Oh well, it's still mostly excellent chillout stuff :)

Hehehe yeah I guess so... But thats just a matter of diggin ethnic sounds ehh?! :P

606498[/snapback]

true, true, but some of it is done very well and some of it isn't. meaningless discussion? probably true!

some more names, of which a description will follow:

autechre

aphex twin

adham shaikh

amon tobin

banco de gaia

bonobo

biosphere

boards of canada!!

bola

the black dog (see plaid)

capitol k

dubphonic

easy star all stars (winkie! ;))

future sound of london !!!

gus til

global communication

higher intelligence agency!!

high tone

the herbaliser

h.u.v.a. network

leftfield

luke vibert?

massive attack

mr. scruff!

va mountain high 1 and 2

monolake

ozric tentacles

orbital!!

oliver jones

pole!

pitch black

plaid

peuple de l'herbe

rip van hippy

subsurfing

saafi brothers

squarepusher

sigur ros

dj shadow

tortoise

lot of planet dog stuff!

tipsy

telefon tel aviv

ulrich schnauss

the well

wagon christ

zenzile

zion train

well.. descriptions might follow... that's a damn list I got there!

Let's see then. I'd recommend

Bluetech - Elementary Particles / Prima Materia

Various - Natural Born Chillers

Shulman - In Search Of A Meaningful Moment

From Aleph Zero. Deep sounds. The bluetech album has fantastic soundscapes and Natural Born Chillers will sit well with non psy friends too.

From Dakini Records I would say get the Sky Dancing series

Various - Sky Dancing: Nada Masala Vol. 1

Various - Sky Dancing: Nada Masala Vol. 2

Various - Sky Dancing: Nada Masala Vol. 3

also Makyo - Yakshini, Shringara, Vismaya & most recently Swara Mandala

and Adham Shaikh - Fusion and Puff Dragon - Sazanami which is my personal favourite.

These are all quite ethnic but it sounds like real ethnic not the pretentious ethnic crap you often hear in chillout these days.

Check out Androcell's albums Emotivision & Efflorescence for nice clean dubby sounds.

There are lots of albums on Liquid Sound Design which have beautiful psychadelic dub. The best ones are

Celtic Cross - Hicksville

Dub Trees - Nature Never Did Betray The Heart That Loved Her

Various - Butterfly Dawn

Various - A New Chapter In Dub Vol. 2 (The Secret Language Of Ordinary Objects)

Tripswitch - Circuit Breaker

Abakus - That Much Closer To The Sun

these are all albums I just listen to again & again. Fantastic sounds suits every mood I get into.

For music that is closer to real ambient try Ultimae records. Highlights include

The Fahrenheit Project series one, two, three, four & five. Part 6 will be released soon too :)

Solar Fields' albums are amazing too. Very soft & trippy, spacey feelings.

Reflective Frequencies

Blue Moon Station

Extended

Leaving Home

Carbon Based Lifeforms - Hydroponic Garden

H.U.V.A. Network - Distances

Various - Albedo

Various - Oxycanta

are other highlights from Ultimae. It's a great label

If you want more varied upbeat chill then look at Twisted's sister label Backroom beats

Backroom Beats 1 & Backroom Beats 2 are very varied & interesting in style.

Hi-Fi Companions - Swingers In Paradise is very jazzy. VERY jazzy. It includes a track called Skyclad which I highly recommend, it sounds beautiful & melodious.

also try Flexitones - Joyrider for beats. It's a very cool album & another one that has been well recieved by non-psy folk.

These are the best labels I know for chill music but also check out

for ethnic

Asura - Lost Eden

Angel Tears - Way of the Mystic

Angel Tears - The Dreaming

Gaudi - Bass, Sweat & Tears

Entheogenic - Entheogenic

Entheogenic - Spontaneous Illumination

For melancholic chill try

M-Sphere - Electronic Relaxation

Amethystium - Odonata

Amethystium - Aphelion

Amethystium - Evermind

Synaesthesia - Ephemeral

Synaesthesia - Desideratum

Synaesthesia - Embody

on the IDM side go for

Kettel - My Dogan

& Secede - Tryshasla which both have beautiful melodies & cool beats.

Finally you can't go wrong with the chill out CD on Total Eclipse - Violent Relaxation which sounds just like total eclipse's early work in downtempo form.

& Union Jack - There Will Be No Armageddon has some trance tracks on it but also some magical chill.

Happy Chilling!

Androcell

(saw him live a few weeks ago... AMAZING!!!)

v/a Chiller waves

(longest CD to be in regular rotation of my CD's EVER! and I'm generally not into much chill music...)

Guest The Journey Man Project

Definitely check out:

Dakin Records - www.dakinirecords.com

you can their stuff on most the psytrance online shops but if you order direct from the site it's realiable and you can ask Gio (Makyo) to put a nice little message on the cover for you...

I need something soothing and relaaaaxing(or stuff that puts you in trance states,like tribal does) or i am going to torch the neighborhood down :P

606384[/snapback]

mh ... I think one Xanax will do more good in this case than 10 CDs of the best chill music stuff, hehe ;)

(no, seriously, if you have aggression, better let it out first in form of workout or whatever than storing it inside and trying to put it down with chill music ... that's not good ... might work for long, but one day you will explode ... just a sidenote...)

anyway ... I can't recommend so very much more, because many of what I would like to point you towards has been already mentioned, but nevertheless:

I absolutely second the mentionings of Makyo and Puff Dragon ... VERY relaxing and good chill/ambient music this is, I really really like it. To me especially Makyo has a warmth and comfort in the sound of most of his songs that can not be found elsewhere. Very recommended for horizontal chilling sessions ... and it also comes great while smoking a Shisha ;)

BTW, in the same vein is Padmasana, where Makyo himself is a member too. "Universal Consciousness" is a truly incredible song of them :wub:

Another good recommendation in this thread that I absolutely second are Carbon Based Lifeforms ... very relaxing and organic ambient synth soundscapes with a touch of scandinavian melancholy here and there, especially good for dreamy late night listenings. Hydroponic Garden is one seriously perfect album ... also their promo release "The Path" is very worth to check out .. and when that's not enough, a new album is planned to be released shortly!

Solar Fields are another very good recommendation ... the music comes rather focused on frequencies and can contain a lot of energy and to me appears too intense at times for a late night listening session, but it's really brilliant ambient - but not ambient only - stuff (I don't listen to that in the night, but on a sunny day ... on the couch, curtains open) and I must say that over the time I have gotten so fond of Magnus' sound I meanwhile have obtained all of his albums (except the "extended" one...) :)

For a chillier approach, away from the ambient sounds and more into a comfortable chill mood with a drop of melancholy I suggest Chicane (this dude offers everything from trancy upbeat songs to chilled and slow ones ... I like his sound, it's quite one of a kind) or Chilling Matenda ... even my friends who normally dismiss the music I play to them found those very appealing.

Banco De Gaia is very much one of a kind. It's really great stuff if you listen a bit into it, but some of his stuff might be too trancy or upbeat for you for chill purposes ... nevertheless I highly second this recommendation for songs like Touching The Void, Obsidian (my favourite) or Drunk As A Monk (I love that one).

Also Blackfish is good ... for a rather terrestrial electronic chill approach with some progression...

I can also strongly recommend Enigma ... that is also wonderfull chill stuff. Sometimes already very poppy (Push The Limits), but it's great ... I really like Enigma.

Oh, while I am at it ... I also strongly recommend Björn Lynne ... very interesting dreamy artist, every album has another theme.

Guest Astro Cortex

Apparently it's my job again to mention Pete Namlook and his numerous collaborations. Seriously, I'm quite puzzled at his absence on all these huge lists up there. :rolleyes:

I don't have time now to give particular recommendations, and most releases on Namlook's label are worth checking out anyway, so here you go:

http://www.discogs.com/label/Fax+%2B49-69%2F450464

and some more artists that have not been mentioned yet:

Another Fine Day

Arovane

Astralasia

Atom Heart (+ zillions of aliases)

B12

Bill Laswell

The Circular Ruins

Cosmic Connection

Datacide

David Reeves

Move D

Deep Space Network

DLS / Delysid

International Peoples Gang

Speedy J / Jochem Paap

Woob / Journeyman

Klaus Schulze

Knights of the Occasional Table

Loscil

Mysteries of Science

Psychick Warriors Ov Gaia

Saul Stokes

Seefeel

Spacetime Continuum

Spyra

Stars of the Lid

Tetsu Inoue

Timeshard

Yagya

B)

Apparently it's my job again to mention Pete Namlook and his numerous collaborations. Seriously, I'm quite puzzled at his absence on all these huge lists up there. :rolleyes:

606657[/snapback]

hey astro, care to elaborate a little bit about those names? are they all ambient/ambient or is there some other stuff in there too? Most names I don't know and since I'm always curious to check new things out, do me a favor! :D

I do know (and recommend!)

Atom Heart

Bill Laswell

Deep Space Network

Timeshard (although to me they sound a little outdated...)

606657[/snapback]

Well I thought you were the guy with the knowhow to champion Fax!

Guest Astro Cortex

hey astro, care to elaborate a little bit about those names? are they all ambient/ambient  or is there some other stuff in there too? Most names I don't know and since I'm always curious to check new things out, do me a favor! :D

606691[/snapback]

OK, just for you Snaap. And for everyone else. ;)

Another Fine Day

very organic sounding chillout/ambient, with laid-back rhythms and a sort of cavernous underwater vibe

Arovane

great IDM artist, similar to pre-millennial Autechre but a bit more chilled out for the most part

Astralasia

Legendary ambient/trance group, I think they need no long introduction. Their music has that subliminal mind-altering quality that I find hard to describe....

B12

oldschool IDMbient/techno act; very nice & catchy melodies, maybe a bit like Plaid/Black Dog, but a bit more in a trance/techno direction

The Circular Ruins

ambient with slick rhythms, spacey acidic melodies, and a mystical vibe, some pretty dark moments too

Cosmic Connection

highly eclectic, dubby, acidic, sometimes experimental, wobbly space music; associated with the Psychick Warriors Ov Gaia.

Datacide

the blissful ambience of Tetsu Inoue combined with the mind-bending electronic wizardry of Atom Heart

David Reeves

spacey IDMbient, quite minimal sounding but with an astonishing detailedness - subtle microstructures that make it incedibly trippy; truly one of a kind, I know nothing that sounds like him. Too bad he sold all his gear and quit making music.

Move D

half of Deep Space Network, lately known for his endless collaborating with Pete Namlook

DLS / Delysid

side project of Moksha, deep, mystic and trippy ambient

International Peoples Gang

Don't really know how to describe them, their sound is very eclectic. Ambient, dub, techno, trip hop, and experimantal stuff are all in there somewhere, with a rather happy and funky vibe for the most part. Also lots of sampling, a la Orb.

Speedy J / Jochem Paap

Quite well-known ambient/techno producer. For his early stuff, see description of B12. Also released two beatless 'Vrs-Mbnt-Pcs95-98' albums under his real name, which are similar to Aphex Twin's Selected Ambient Works II.

Woob / Journeyman

organic chill & ambient, times dubby, times beatless; quality stuff from the em:t label.

Klaus Schulze

eehhh, no. No introduction. OK.....the godfather of synth music.

Knights of the Occasional Table

Started off as a "cyberfolk" group - and returned to that after two albums of mainly instrumental works. This is laid-back, melodic chill, often dubby and/or tribal, sometimes also with a slow 4/4 beat. Very much in a Planet Dog vein.

Loscil

atmospheric minimal ambient & ambient techno, very deep, think Plastikman - Consumed and you're pretty close

Mysteries of Science

only heard one album so far; ambient, more or less in the Fax style

Psychick Warriors Ov Gaia

Legendary Dutch group, early pioneers of tribal techno & trance, but they also made a lot of tribal and/or dark ambient tracks. Also check out the spin-off project Exquisite Corpse for some excellent shamanic trance stuff.

Saul Stokes

atmospheric organic ambient, sometimes with intelligent beats; most (if not all) of it made with his self-built synths

Seefeel

Superb ambient/dub/IDM band. Their sound is characterized by a haunting melancholic atmosphere, very deep and hypnotic, often with (wordless) female vocals contributing in a good way.

Spacetime Continuum

The only release under that name that I've heard is Sea Biscuit, which IMHO is one of the greatest ambient/electronica albums of all time. Recommended to anyone who likes Pete Namlook, The Orb, FSOL, Orbital...... Jonah Sharp is also great in collaborations, e.g. with Namlook, Laswell, Inoue, Moufang etc.

Spyra

Highly original artist, experimenting with radio waves, odd time signatures etc., but most importantly makes really beautiful, intelligent, and melodic ambient electronica, lately also with jazz & rock influences. Oh, and his trademark sound is the Xylophone....well, sort of....

Stars of the Lid

Pure beatless drone music, produced mainly on guitars, but sounding like synths mostly. Very evocative and sort of dreamy and melancholic.

Tetsu Inoue

Some of the most polished, beautiful and splendorous ambient works were made by this highly talented Japanese producer. Hardly anyone else manages to give ambient music an organic touch by using purely electronic instruments and avoiding ethnic type samples. His sound has changed to some glitchy/experimental stuff though.

Yagya

His first album 'Rhythm of Snow' is very nice and lucid ambient techno, I highly recommend that one. The new album I haven't heard yet, maybe it's in the same style but I'm not sure.

I need something soothing and relaaaaxing(or stuff that puts you in trance states,like tribal does)

anything to

606384[/snapback]

Occhi Brothers

Occhi Brothers

Occhi Brothers...

It's tribal it's soothing, it's ambient, it's ralaxing, and it's trance enducing

Too bad they are only intent on releasing 4 tracks to the world and then leaving us behind on our planet to rot!

Anyhow those four tracks are worth seeking. I think the one 1/2 album they ever did is called "Artificial Energy"