Full-on is the New Minimal

Otto Matta

Yet another thread complaining about those who complain.

Saying folk shouldn't complain about full-on (or any topic for that matter) is akin to saying they shouldn't express themselves. I do admit it gets tiresome seeing the same person repeatedly moaning about the same thing, but hey, that's their perogative to do so.

528083[/snapback]

Stop, you'll get us into one of those post vortexes that never end. :D

People that complain about people that complain about people that complain about something. :o

I have missed out on some great music by blindly going by genre labels. Dark Psy, full-on, etc. I would never think I could like something not Prog or Psy, but I luckily read some other peoples opinions here and tried some of their favs from other genres and found that I really enjoyed some of them.

I was an idiot and missed out on some good stuff by sticking to genre labels.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I always liked minimal. Everyone bashed it for quite a while & I always thought it was because noone could be bothered to listen to it properly. It was really intelligent music that all sounded the same if you had it on in the background but if you allow yourself to properly listen to it it creates amazing atmospheres and soundscapes that can take a non drug fueled mind to different levels. :D

I'm not sure about fullon because I haven't listened to much of it. It is very popular though and so of course there is going to be a lot of shit, that's always the way with the most popular genres. I have heard some decent fullon music though. If it's done well it can be good. People shouldn't bash things without actually listening to them.

I always thought that minimal psytrance evolved into the progressive psytrance. Progressive has a little more substance but is just as intelligent and well layered. also people who don't listen to it properly find it boring.

528043[/snapback]

My words exactly... entirely.

The basslines hurt my ears and my whole body, i´am sure that eardoctors wouldn´t recommend listening fullon at all because of the compresse dhard basslinecrap and i´am sure if we would do a test with the same speakers the fullon speakers would break first, IMO it´s not healthy to listen to that rolling killargh bassline crap.

528052[/snapback]

Sorry, but a lot of the old school stuff is way more painful to the ears than the full on sound nowadays imo. There is old school out there which you can´t play at high volume without making your ears hurt because of crappy mixing (e.g. too loud mid frequencies, which are really painful to your ears... or too loud highs).

btw entertaining thread

Guest Astro Cortex

I always liked minimal. Everyone bashed it for quite a while & I always thought it was because noone could be bothered to listen to it properly. It was really intelligent music that all sounded the same if you had it on in the background but if you allow yourself to properly listen to it it creates amazing atmospheres and soundscapes that can take a non drug fueled mind to different levels. :D

528043[/snapback]

You're right. I was a bit sceptical about minimal in the beginning, but I quickly grew to like it. However I can understand why it was bashed so heavily: it suddenly appeared in the psytrance scene and replaced the oldschool sound in some way. If it wasn't for the fact that it appeared on psytrance labels and was partly produced by former psy artists, it would certainly have come across as a genre on its own, and thus have avoided lots of criticism by the "psy heads".

For the record, I wouldn't differentiate so much between the "minimal" and "progressive" subgenres, even though most of the stuff released these days are called the latter it seems. Thing is, even the "pioneers" of the minimal style often incorporated the melodic elements that characterize progressive today in their earlier productions. Take Atmos' Headcleaner as an example. Minimal or Progressive? Not that I really care tho ;)

As for full-on, I don't appreciate it at all, or better said, I've yet to hear a full-on track or album that truly impresses me. Strangely enough, I have to admit that I liked it in the beginning - first couple of 3D vision releases, GMS vs Systembusters, etc. Also note that a lot of olschool psy used to be called "full on".

Yet another thread complaining about those who complain.

Saying folk shouldn't complain about full-on (or any topic for that matter) is akin to saying they shouldn't express themselves. I do admit it gets tiresome seeing the same person repeatedly moaning about the same thing, but hey, that's their perogative to do so.

528083[/snapback]

It's not the complaining itself, Chuckie, it's the amount and style of complaining. It's gotten to the point where people haven't even heard it (I won't mention Radi's name) and are complaining about it.

Does anyone else find it totally and unsettlingly bizarre that you could substitute "full-on" for "minimal" in this thread and you'd have the exact same sorts of views and arguments as 4/5 years ago? :blink:

It's not the complaining itself, Chuckie, it's the amount and style of complaining. It's gotten to the point where people haven't even heard it (I won't mention Radi's name) and are complaining about it.

Does anyone else find it totally and unsettlingly bizarre that you could substitute "full-on" for "minimal" in this thread and you'd have the exact same sorts of views and arguments as 4/5 years ago?  :blink:

528251[/snapback]

What are you talig otto mata, i have listeed to may fullo tracs til know and in most cases it´s the same.

I complain about fullon because i really can´t stand that music and even can´t understand how any guy can listen to that music, and i´am not the onliest guy who thinks so, i know very much people here at the forum and many otheer peophe that don´t like fulon because of the same reasons as i have to not like fullon. The rolling bassline is really bad quality, the production always sounds horrible bad and homemade, if i would ask people how old a fullon track is they would say very old because of the really bad quality and i´am sure it damages eas as speakers way more than any other music. I would give a shit at fullon if the wellknown masters of the oldschool days back wouldn´t produce this fucking shit also, any fullon sounds apsolutly same because of that fucking awful bassline and the awful sounding synths and fx, i can´t understand how people can like bad quality music, fullon sounds like msuc from people who touched a musicprogram the first time.

527997[/snapback]

Why you go crazy again, look, albums like mfg - message from god aren´t that bad and not that fullonish, they don´t have the typical fucking rolling bassline but another one which isn´t that bad and they havn´t the awful typical fx sounds like most other fullon, typical fullonsound is electric universe - cosmic experience for example or all the tracks on the Ten album except the mahadeva rmx, the artists which remixed the Ten album by astral are the artists which produce the sort of fullon that i don´t like at all and can´t see any difference at all between all tracks except that the melodies and notes are different, there isn´t any other difference there, not to speak about the quality, the stereoeffects which are always used in fullon can easyly be done with the very old buzzeffekt effects from fruityloops 1 which are freeware and noone who makes decent msuic (not fullon) use that childish free stereoeffects, fullon can easyly be done with a ts404 or any other cheap fruityloops synth, the typical fullon fx effects appear in my synths when there´s something wrong and the synths don´t work properly and the programs are broken! Ofcourse i meant he fullon produced by the described artists, the new mfg album of mfg for example isn´t that bad IMO.

528041[/snapback]

Okay not all but most fullon is the same, some exceptions are for example mfg - message from god but i´am sure 90 percent of fullon are crap and sound like what i descpribed in the posts above, the worst is when in some awful fullon tracks with killargh awful rolling basslines and fx appear guitars and/or singing.

528054[/snapback]

Fucking, awful, crap, fucking, awful, crap, fucking, awful, crap...

ARE YOU HAPPY IN YOUR LIFE AT ALL ? I mean, come on, the only words you use to describe something are those ! Grow up man, you just sound bloody silly... <_<

I dunno... I don't particularly like the association [most] fullon has with psychedelic trance - mostly it's just boom boom party music - I can see why people would like it as it's highly energetic and danceable - yet there are so many copycat fullon artists that I'll find it hard to wade through all the shit that's been produced, especially because I'm a huge lover of the melodic side of trance - that's what brought me in here in the first place...

Besides, I discovered high quality chill music in this scene and haven't really wandered over to the uptempo side as it doesn't suit me as well. :)

Does anyone else find it totally and unsettlingly bizarre that you could substitute "full-on" for "minimal" in this thread and you'd have the exact same sorts of views and arguments as 4/5 years ago?  :blink:

528251[/snapback]

I know what you're saying, and to a certain extent I agree, but you gotta let people be, man. Even radi.

I know what you're saying, and to a certain extent I agree, but you gotta let people be, man. Even radi.

528347[/snapback]

Well, I actually am letting people complain. This isn't a thread to force people to stop complaining. I'm realistic. We all need something to complain about. I'm just pointing out that at some point it gets repetetive, predictable and old (i.e., ugly).

Does no one remember when "full-on" was the Really Good Stuff?

Edited.

Well, I actually am letting people complain. This isn't a thread to force people to stop complaining. I'm realistic. We all need something to complain about. I'm just pointing out that at some point it gets repetetive, predictable and old.

528351[/snapback]

You're not going to beat those who moan too much then?

Oh, a good beating is definitely in order. I will beat them by complaining better.

528360[/snapback]

So, in effect, you'll actually be joining them. The old saying rings true, eh. :D

Does no one remember when "full-on" was the Really Good Stuff?

528351[/snapback]

yeah, I do... there was fullon and minimal... and fullon was heavy melodic trance .. minimal is what they now call progressive or whatever

that's how I always remembered it... but some months ago I was shocked to find out what the term fullon is used for today

yeah, I do... there was fullon and minimal... and fullon was heavy melodic trance .. minimal is what they now call progressive or whatever

that's how I always remembered it... but some months ago I was shocked to find out what the term fullon is used for today

528368[/snapback]

That was shocking to me, too. I wonder what full-on will be in another five years.

Yet another post complaining about those who complain about complaining.

528399[/snapback]

Yet another post complaining about those who complain about complaining about those who complain.

Okay not all but most fullon is the same, some exceptions are for example mfg - message from god but i´am sure 90 percent of fullon are crap and sound like what i descpribed in the posts above, the worst is when in some awful fullon tracks with killargh awful rolling basslines and fx appear guitars and/or singing.

waiting for answer tatsu

528054[/snapback]

I hate to burst your bubble, but MFG and all the other stuff you mention isnt really that original either.

Most of it is the copy / paste music of its day, thats the way it is - and if you dont see that, well, thats because you havent been listening to the music for that long.

Also, the production on most modern full on is WAY ahead of the old school stuff. If you cant hear that, theres something wrong with your ears or your gear I think.

Sound quality on modern releases are LIGHTYEARS ahead of the old stuff - I should know, since I have been spending the last month listening to no less than 200 old school ORIGINAL CDs followed by 200 CDs with modern production techniques all routed through a high end sound card with high end headphones (and I own a pretty high end stereo as well....).

Last, but not least, I can understand that you dont like the music, and thats fair - But, "there nothing wrong with it", the music is fine and the quality is fine - The fact that you dont like its "soul" or "sound" - Well, thats just your taste buddy, we can all respect that, but you shouldnt put artists, mastering engineers, labels and everybody involved with the production of the releases down professionally just because the music doesnt fit your personal taste...

And believe it or not, thats what you do when you talk bullshit like you do.

Best Wishes

Krell

Hmmm, maybe you should check this article

most full on stuff is waaaay too compressed and that makes it tiring to listen to, compared to older, less compressed stuff.

I agree about the overly compressed sound, that's completely flat and undynamic... Be carefull though: The most severe compression I have ever seen is Eat Static's "Science of the gods" - from '97. It sounds *very* dynamic, even though the waveform is at the peak constantly - so compression is not just compression... It probably is, coming from fruityflops, but there is an art behind it too, and it doesn't have to sound tiring.

About the full-on talk. Would someone PLEASE define full-on? No music examples are allowed, describe it in musical terms...

-A

I agree about the overly compressed sound, that's completely flat and undynamic... Be carefull though: The most severe compression I have ever seen is Eat Static's "Science of the gods" - from '97. It sounds *very* dynamic, even though the waveform is at the peak constantly - so compression is not just compression... It probably is, coming from fruityflops, but there is an art behind it too, and it doesn't have to sound tiring.

About the full-on talk. Would someone PLEASE define full-on? No music examples are allowed, describe it in musical terms...

-A

528681[/snapback]

The main definition is the rolling bassline. But there is stuff that does not have the typical bassline (like latest Space Cat) but still falls in that category. I personally think that the line between some full-on (especially morning full-on) and melodic psy can be very thin.