Full-on is the New Minimal

Otto Matta

Krell is my hero...for today at least.  B)

528842[/snapback]

Sycophant.

:P

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry about that, but no psytrance label/name gets as much hype as Twisted & Simon P, whatever Simon P does, it must be hyped. However, he cant live up to the hype, and he hasnt asked for it either.

HE is a good musician to be sure, but there are plenty of those in our scene, as such the most special thing about Simon P is all the hype, and not the music.

Krell

528815[/snapback]

Aktually it is the msic, look to all old hallucijnogen tracks, look at the remixes he did, look at the groups he was in, it always was godlike music, look at the spacetribe tracks with simon posford, look at the infinity project tracks with simon posford and so on and so on and so on, man he´s something higher in psychedelic trance.

Aktually it is the msic, look to all old hallucijnogen tracks, look at the remixes he did, look at the groups he was in, it always was godlike music, look at the spacetribe tracks with simon posford, look at the infinity project tracks with simon posford and so on and so on and so on, man he´s something higher in psychedelic trance.

528849[/snapback]

High five, radi. :)

Fair enough. It's just, from your posts, it seemed that you focus largely on sound quality, as if maybe it's the deciding factor in whether a tune is good or not.

528846[/snapback]

No, not at all - Actually I have been debating in the past that for a period there was far too much focus on sound quality versus the actual musical content in regards to what releases received critical positive hype.

However, thats nothing new - For a time, in the nineties, it seemed like any track with a really strong and powerfull/deep kick would become popular as long as there was enough ethnic melodic elements in it.

Since modern production standards are generally higher than in the mid nineties, they dont have that much impact on whether a track will stand out or not in the face of the competition.

In that sense, I think there is far more focus on the musical aspect of the music now, than there was 10 years ago.

Since 10 years ago, good production alone could turn a boring and uninspired track into a hit easily. (Today, the margins between good & bad production are much smaller).

The reason that Ive been listening through all of this old & new releases was that I wanted to find all those old gems, since I knew they were there :-) I hope to make a mix of them some time soon.

Best Wishes

Krell

Good, so now you can tell me what it means :)

528855[/snapback]

syc·o·phant ( P ) Pronunciation Key (sk-fnt, sk-)

n.

A servile self-seeker who attempts to win favor by flattering influential people.

I was actually not aware that Krell is an influential someone, I just liked his posts in this topic is all. :lol:

Faze (Self-seeking bastard)

syc·o·phant    ( P )  Pronunciation Key  (sk-fnt, sk-)

n.

A servile self-seeker who attempts to win favor by flattering influential people.

I was actually not aware that Krell is an influential someone, I just liked his posts in this topic is all.  :lol:

528861[/snapback]

Thanks man.

I like them too. Please don't leave this thread Krell :);)

syc·o·phant    ( P )  Pronunciation Key  (sk-fnt, sk-)

n.

I was actually not aware that Krell is an influential someone, I just liked his posts in this topic is all.  :lol:

528861[/snapback]

Well, he certainly infuenced you enough to claim him your hero (if only for the day). :D

528849[/snapback]

Thanks for the lecture on Simon P, but I think I have my view on him and his music pretty much defined from listening to and Djing it for more than 10 years now.

I love plenty of his stuff, but, when you dig deep you will find loads of other musicians with at least as much, or even more talent & vision (relative to your own taste in music).

Some got signed on Twisted, some didnt :-)

So, Radi6404, I dont disagree with you that its great music - Not at all, I love it. But, we were talking about production quality, which is something that can actually be discussed objectively, while taste really cant.

Best Wishes

Krell

Thanks man.

I like them too. Please don't leave this thread Krell :);)

528863[/snapback]

Im like a dog with rabies, once I sink my teeth into something, I dont let go untill my victim(s) lie bleeding in the street.

Teethgrinding Wishes

Krell :-)

Sorry about that, but no psytrance label/name gets as much hype as Twisted & Simon P, whatever Simon P does, it must be hyped. However, he cant live up to the hype, and he hasnt asked for it either.

HE is a good musician to be sure, but there are plenty of those in our scene, as such the most special thing about Simon P is all the hype, and not the music.

Keeping that in mind, Twisted is still one of my favourite labels, and even if I think it gets far too much hype, Im not making it my personal crusade making that point clear to everybody; as is the case with the "full on haters" "progressive haters" "new school haters" "old school haters" - haters in general - Simply because I spend my time finding the good music, instead of complaining about the bad.

And Ive found loads of great Simon P & Twisted stuff for sure, but nothing warranting all the hype... and since I know this is where "radi6404" is going to try and make his stand in this debate, that is where I attack :-) Only support he will get, is from the Twisted Fanatics... but, great thing about sound quality, we have all got ears and the ability to make up our own minds.

Listen to Vibrasphere "Lime Structure" - Theres sound quality for you! Or new Silicon Sound, or Protoculture, or Panick....

Best Wishes

Krell

528815[/snapback]

its true that he gets a lot of hype!

personally i only own twisted from simon as hallucinogen,and i find it extraordinary,but not the best album ever. ;)

i dont know about twisted records,what are they releasing these days?full-on?

anw,that blasphemy thing was a joke,if it was blasphemy that would mean that hallucinogen is a god,which he is not.he is a very talented musician,one of the best.

about full-on,i will certainly be more able to talk about it later in the summer,as i am going to Fullmoon festival in july! ;):lol:

its true that he gets a lot of hype!

personally i only own twisted from simon as hallucinogen,and i find it extraordinary,but not the best album ever. ;)

i dont know about twisted records,what are they releasing these days?full-on?

anw,that blasphemy thing was a joke,if it was blasphemy that would mean that hallucinogen is a god,which he is not.he is a very talented musician,one of the best.

about full-on,i will certainly be more able to talk about it later in the summer,as i am going to Fullmoon festival in july! ;)  :lol:

528876[/snapback]

I knew it was a joke, just wanted to make the point anyway in case someone didnt :-)

I consider Twisted stuff to be Full On / UK Full On - Its a style of its own, but, its mostly "twisteds" style - it has a lot of similarity with other full on, and goes well in full on sets :-)

Best Wishes

Krell

I can´t really listen a difference between 192 kb mp3 or cd or even 320 kb mp3 or cd.

528783[/snapback]

I still doubt you have heard too many full-on tracks in that quality. I mean you hate the style so why should you bother to download different tracks to really get an overview over if? If you had then you should have noticed that the production quality of a lot of tracks itself is good, even when the music is by far not as good as Twisted for example.

The main definition is the rolling bassline. But there is stuff that does not have the typical bassline (like latest Space Cat) but still falls in that category. I personally think that the line between some full-on (especially morning full-on) and melodic psy can be very thin.

528698[/snapback]

- And vice versa I guess? AFAIK "the rolling bassline" is a straight sausage of 1/16's of the same note...? This is used in sooo much more than music that falls into this (to me) elusive category "full-on" (what a terrible name btw...) :D

Imagine a 4/4 beat, imagine the beat sounding hard, shallow and cold (a thud rather than a boom) with no warmth and no depth to it, now imagine the beat giving you a slight headache, imagine thinking to yourself "Do I have any ibuprofen or aspirin the house?", imagine discovering you don't and consequently having to lie down on the couch with cold teabags over your eyes for half an hour. That pretty much sums up the majority of full-on.

Hope that helped.

528703[/snapback]

Wow, it's just like happy hardcore then.... Except - real hardcore is sweet in small doses. ;)

The same description easily fits the minimal tunes. Which means the circle (of this topic...) has closed somewhat...  :ph34r:

528713[/snapback]

That's exactly what I think! If we don't say stuff like "Hey man, MFG is just, like, TOTally full-on dude", how is it defined? All trance subgenres use the same tricks from time to time. Noone would call the Delta full-on (or would they? I honestly don't have a clue...), but there's a rolling bassline for'ya!

I guess that full-on is what's on philosomatika 80% of the time these days, right...? Awfull.

-A

Noone would call the Delta full-on (or would they? I honestly don't have a clue...), but there's a rolling bassline for'ya!

529942[/snapback]

Well - Yes and no.

The Delta has made tracks of different styles. Take the Scizoeffective album for instance http://www.discogs.com/release/79339

"Travelling At The Speed Of Thought"

+

"As A Child I Could Walk On The Ceiling"

Which are actually quite old tracks first released on Blue Room 12 inches + are quite full on, while the rest of the album is more Psy Tech Trance (deep & heavy).

So, its basicly the 1997 style vs the 2000 style.

It all comes down to musical evolution, and so it becomes harder to label a particular artist as one or the other since they will break whatever stereotype you assign to them.

Best Wishes

Krell