IDM

snowball

IDM and experimental...

what are they ?yeah its music(and its great) but what makes them differnt than psy ?

and about experimental i havent got a clue,never heard any,can you explain and reccomend something ???

looking to expand my musical horizons! :)

i am checking them out now.thanks!

btw IDM=experimental ?

oh and IDM means ?? :)

490261[/snapback]

No IDM is not experimental,not anymore.

Most of the IDM releases combine IDM with ambient,experimental,Illbient,Glitch,Noise,Downtempo...

So you see,its a bit generalised.

It stands for Intelligent Dance Music.

No IDM is not experimental,not anymore.

Most of the IDM releases combine IDM with ambient,experimental,Illbient,Glitch,Noise,Downtempo...

So you see,its a bit generalised.

It stands for Intelligent Dance Music.

490262[/snapback]

aha!!! :)

so IDM is a more general term...i am listening to a set that anoebis posted here a long time ago and i just bumped into it :Finnish & Australian Experimental trance

so i was wondering why it is called IDM,its like old school,very twisted and nice!

now experimental,if its diefferent i know nothing about it!

oh and Illbient(i have heard this term before,cant remember where though) Glitch and Noise.... :huh::huh::huh::huh:

aha!!! :)

so IDM is a more general term...i am listening to a set that anoebis posted here a long time ago and i just bumped into it :Finnish & Australian Experimental trance

so i was wondering why it is called IDM,its like old school,very twisted and nice!

now experimental,if its diefferent i know nothing about it!

oh and Illbient(i have heard this term before,cant remember where though) Glitch and Noise.... :huh:  :huh:  :huh:  :huh:

490265[/snapback]

that stuff has nothing to do with IDM : it's goa/psychedelictrance :suomi and australian trance to be more precise

that stuff has nothing to do with IDM : it's goa/psychedelictrance :suomi and australian trance to be more precise

490268[/snapback]

thats what ithought too,but it said experimental somewhere so i got confused! :)

i am checking them out now.thanks!

btw IDM=experimental ?

oh and IDM means ?? :)

490261[/snapback]

IDM = Intelligent Dance Music

although if u ask me most IDM stuff is not for the dancefloor but for the mind

many sub-genres inside,but me thinks most notable is CLICKS & CUTS with loads of releases and artists

Favorite lables are Berlin based MORR MUSIC and legendary clicks & cuts artist POLE's SCAPE.

check it out http://www.morrmusic.com/ + http://www.scape-music.de/ .

IDM pwns psy any day of the week imo.

(i'm talking bout psytrance, not goa trance)

I tried to make some tracks myself:

FFW

I think demo1,2 & 3 are IDM

4 & 5 are .... er..... something else...

This is music i used as backgroundsound for promotional movies i had to make.

So not really musical masterpieces.

IDM... I like some of the softer melodic ambient-like forms.

But some is just too much form over substance. Like certain jazz music.... too much notes and too much focus on technique and virtuosic playing. I don't like it.

Same goes for some of this IDM stuff.. too much clicks and plops and trying to make the weirdest rhythms and sounds with some random melodies on top of it... to me that type of music has no soul.

Hmmm.... that's really interesting :) It's given me some ideas but now is not the time for them unfortunately. It's a shame there isn't a forum function that will remind you to read a certain thread again in, say, two months time :)

Hmmm.... that's really interesting :)  It's given me some ideas but now is not the time for them unfortunately.  It's a shame there isn't a forum function that will remind you to read a certain thread again in, say, two months time :)

490565[/snapback]

put it on your favorites and try keeping it on top!!! :)

I LOVE IDM !

It is very variable, unstable, degenerated music, I love the sick part of it, like true intelligent mad people made it, straight out of the cyber utopian asylum. :D

I LOVE IDM !

It is very variable, unstable, degenerated music, I love the sick part of it, like true intelligent mad people made it, straight out of the cyber utopian asylum. :D

492293[/snapback]

check Richard Devine - Cautella , released in 2005, i am sure you will like it.

B)

Aphex twin is such a great source of inspiration to me. I think everybody who performs any kind of art gets carried away into fantasy while listening to aphex twin.

all time fav artist. ^_^

Aphex twin is such a great source of inspiration to me. I think everybody who performs any kind of art gets carried away into fantasy while listening to aphex twin. 

all time fav artist. ^_^

492575[/snapback]

Over the last coupple of months I found myself frequently putting on "26 mixes for cash" ; it's gotta be on of the most diverse RMX-albums I own. From German hiphop to David Bowie & from extra fluffy ambient to relentless acid, it's got it all!

hey!!! my first post in ages, it's good to be back :D

Bahamut, true words on IDM! too much of it feels randomish and all about technical wankery. the better ones are leaning a bit on the ambient side. for a newbie I'd recommend these:

Bola - Soup (1998)

Autechre - Tri Repetae (1995)

Danieto - Cirugía Casual (2005)

L'usine - Serial Hodgepodge (2004)

CiM - Do Not Multiply Models (2003)

and a wellknown album:

Björk - Vespertine (2001)

Bola - Soup (1998)

Autechre - Tri Repetae (1995)

L'usine - Serial Hodgepodge (2004)

CiM - Do Not Multiply Models (2003)

494929[/snapback]

Very good albums.

Especially that Bola album.....his other albums are great too but Soup is something special...