A huge CD collection seems less and less appealing

Cinos

I'm thinking of transferring everything to a special hard-drive and sell the cumbersome CDs.

I mean, if I can get good quality Mp3s... having them all on disk would be so... HANDY! The idea is intriguing.

Imagine... hundreds of CDs of a little drive. :blink::)

lol man...

the question is...

once it's on mp3 on ur computer.

will those 100 albums feel better than 100 downloaded albums?

Will u still feel that i bought the CD pride even if u sell it...

I dunno i mean for sure ur spending the cash but isn't owning a rare cd fun if u get to play the cd...

I dunno...

Dav

Guest antic

I'm thinking of transferring everything to a special hard-drive and sell the cumbersome CDs.

I mean, if I can get good quality Mp3s... having them all on disk would be so... HANDY! The idea is intriguing.

Imagine... hundreds of CDs of a little drive.  :blink:  :)

488926[/snapback]

You wan't to tell me that when you want to listen some music you take the CD from the shelf and put into CP-player? :o I dropped that few years ago and the same moment I get the CD I rip it to mp3 for a computer / car / diskman etc. This way my disks will live longer too :)

And besides, if your Discogs number are correct, then your collection is far from huge when compared to Ukiro or Stormbringer for example :P;):D

Guest antic

will those 100 albums feel better than 100 downloaded albums?Will u still feel that i bought the CD pride even if u sell it...

For one, I wouldn't feel the same if I sold my CDs and still had them in mp3 :(

And besides, if your Discogs number are correct, then your collection is far from huge when compared to Ukiro or Stormbringer for example :P;):D

488931[/snapback]

It's still a bit cumbersome.

But... at first the idea of not having the original CDs didn't seem that fantastic. Since then I've been more and more drawn towards mp3s and other files...

It's just so much more handy, so much quicker. It's the future, plain and simple. :unsure: Just like LPs gave way to CDs.

Besides, the mp3s form a kind of digital library... I like that idea better than having them physically, to be honest. If one could make a simple application where you browse them like books or such, I'd love it. :)

Guest antic

It's still a bit cumbersome.

But... at first the idea of not having the original CDs didn't seem that fantastic. Since then I've been more and more drawn towards mp3s and other files...

It's just so much more handy, so much quicker. It's the future, plain and simple.  :unsure: Just like LPs gave way to CDs.

Besides, the mp3s form a kind of digital library... I like that idea better than having them physically, to be honest. If one could make a simple application where you browse them like books or such, I'd love it.  :)

488934[/snapback]

I'm not telling you to sell the CDs! God forbid! (unless you want to sell some of them to me for a fair price ;))

I'm not telling you to sell the CDs! God forbid! (unless you want to sell some of them to me for a fair price ;))

488937[/snapback]

I AM telling you to sell them. To me :angry: Goddamnit!!! Sell them. Now! T O M E E E E .

S E L L T H E M T O M E E E E ! ! ! ! !

please. Pretty please. With sugar on top ? :wub:B)

You wan't to tell me that when you want to listen some music you take the CD from the shelf and put into CP-player?  :o  I dropped that few years ago and the same moment I get the CD I rip it to mp3 for a computer / car / diskman etc. This way my disks will live longer too :)

488931[/snapback]

oh gosh, I am still doing that "when you want to listen some music you take the CD from the shelf and put into CP-player"-thing ... my gosh, I feel so old now :(

Cinos, if you sell any CDs, please put them on for trade here, will ya? Maybe you got something I'd pay good money for ... or maybe not, but just put them on trade here, oke?

oh gosh, I am still doing that "when you want to listen some music you take the CD from the shelf and put into CP-player"-thing ... my gosh, I feel so old now :(

Cinos, if you sell any CDs, please put them on for trade here, will ya? Maybe you got something I'd pay good money for ... or maybe not, but just put them on trade here, oke?

489035[/snapback]

me too.... :ph34r:

I prefer cds.

Guest antic

Well, the thing is... Imagine a total computer crash or something... And you lost everything at once... that wouldn't happen with cds :)

489036[/snapback]

Imagine, I've lost 50 old-school CDs 6 years ago because some moron decided to rob my parent's house :(

There are also fires, floods, earthquakes, plane crashes etc. :huh::D

Ouch, that sucks indeed

There are also fires, floods, earthquakes, plane crashes etc.  :huh:  :D

489039[/snapback]

Yeah, but they would destroy your computer also... It's not unlikely a computer crashes you know... i had it more then once :s and we never had an Earthquake, or plane crash here in the mean time, héhé :P

Well, the thing is... Imagine a total computer crash or something... And you lost everything at once... that wouldn't happen with cds :)

489036[/snapback]

he is right

Cinos, imagine a headcrash on the harddrive with your music on. It would make its last sound - a Dark Industrial Ambient-like noise that will struck you to the bone. The song of death. And all is lost. Nothing lasts, everything is lost.

I'd be the first to give you the "Cinos.justgotowned.com"-link then :lol:

You'd just keep an external drive. Unlike hundreds of CD's, you could easily rescue that from the flame.

489046[/snapback]

oh yeah

but this doesn't save you from the headcrash :P

Cinos, imagine a headcrash on the harddrive with your music on. It would make its last sound - a Dark Industrial Ambient-like noise that will struck you to the bone. The song of death. And all is lost. Nothing lasts, everything is lost.

I'd be the first to give you the "Cinos.justgotowned.com"-link then :lol:

489045[/snapback]

haha, that comment is hilarious!

About an external drive... They are even more vulnerable as normal hard drives... And once again I think a hard drive crash is far more likely as a fire... but then again, I insured my cds in fact :rolleyes:

I have all my CDs ripped to MP3 - I very seldom bring out the CDs when I want to listen actually. The reasons for all of this are:

- I'm lazy.

- I can "sketch" playlists for DJ sets very fast, dragging and dropping tracks to test how they work in sequence etc. With real CDs or vinyls this is much more work and would take forever. It helps me plan what to bring to a DJ gig MUCH easier.

- It gives a very nice overview, and I can search for track names etc very fast. Like, "do I have that mix on CD?" - ctrl-F and I can find out in seconds.

- Portable audio. My MP3 player goes with me everywhere, and obviously I need content for it.

- I still keep the originals because I'm a) a collector, B) hard drives can crash and c) 192 kbps MP3 compression isn't exactly lossless. I should do backups of the MP3 archive though... but it's like 120 gigs of 192kbps MP3s, and thats just the CD rips. I need blu-ray or something like that.

my old man also has all his classical music backed up to to a LaCie hard drive, 60 gigs and something like 800 cd's later... i have a small hard drive where i keep all my tunes backed up in 320 as well... but no reason to get rid of the physical media... at the end id better for the damn cd's if you use them less... you know... they scratch so easy... :(

488926[/snapback]

You are so right, and its also how I feel mainly about all my vinyls these days - I NEVER listen to them, and the turntable is just taking up space.

CDs will follow soon, CD players are just taking up space.

What we need in the future is a storage solution and a mixer - Thats it - Its already there, buy a mackie mixer with firewire and hook it up and your ready to go.

Another thing I think is worth putting into focus here is audio quality - There is actually not that much of a barrier preventing your digital formats to be for instance 24bit 96Khz stereo instead of poor CD quality 16 bit 44Khz stereo.

From what I hear, the difference is noticeable...

Also, a lot of the sound chips etc used in sound cards are superior to those on regular or DJ cd players... In effect you might end up with better sound quality, cheaper and more conviniently.

Best Wishes

Krell

488926[/snapback]

You're aware that if you sell your cds you'd be obliged to delete all the digital copies, right? Unless you do that it's just as illegal as downloading the tunes on p2p etc. Think about it.

489036[/snapback]

imagine you're house is burning down, will you be able to save all 5000 zillion CD's while your leg is on fire?

or 1 HD! :)

Guest Astro Cortex

Well it's best if you simply have both, innit?

The good old CDs for home listening in optimum sound quality and (mainly) MP3 on my portable HD/player for listening while walking/travelling/etc. I'd never want that to be different :) .