Talent is overrated

Riton

I'd say it's not overrated.

IMO, one of the factors that the quality of 85% of today's releases is soo poor is the fact that anyone with a basic knowledge can make professionally sounding tracks. I purposedly used "tracks", because there is a huge difference between a track that is made in a certain style, with certain sounds to entertain the dancefloor for few weeks, and a "music" that is a artists way to express himself. Sadly, most of music released today is just "tracks".

True that some people with talent try to regain the popularity they had once and write music for the audience (eg. Orion, Hux Flux, Joti Sidhu) but even in those cases the difference between them and average "new israeli prodigy kid" is huge.

To sum it up - you can make music without talent, and it even might be good, but it won't be remembered for a long time, it will never become classic.

All IMO ofcourse :)

To sum it up - you can make music without talent, and it even might be good, but it won't be remembered for a long time, it will never become classic.

437750[/snapback]

Exactly, psytrance is dance music. Meaning it gets worn out, and forgotten after some time. But it does serve it's purpose on the dancefloor.

trance that sells a lot is full-on in the trance scene.

full-on is easy digestible one day memorable music.

this is the shape of things this time we're writing.

so whether talented or not one makes full-on cause this is the treat of this period.

if every customer of my restaurant likes pasta(they like eating it every day)

why bother and make fried chicken a la crem with my special sauce?

the formula is easy and quick: pasta

Exactly, psytrance is dance music. Meaning it gets worn out, and forgotten after some time. But it does serve it's purpose on the dancefloor.

437753[/snapback]

worn out for you.

there are lots of psy fans out there that get thrilled every time they listen some psy-tracks that are old.

that is true indeed

You must differ between the people who listen to the music only at parties and the people that really are into it music-wise and listen to it at home and wherever too! The people that only listen to the stuff once in a while will most likely not have anything against fullon or all this other "low-talent" music, because they listen only once in a while to it. But when you really are in the scene and go to a lot of parties and listen to new stuff and psyradio stations at home and you always hear the same basic sound concept you get bored quickly and say that because all is so similar that the artists are all copycats from eachother with no talent and such...

437753[/snapback]

Well, if you can live with that kind of attitude then I see no bright future for psytance ;) It is dance music, but you can at the same time make danceable tracks and wonderful, layered, multidimensional, emotional music. And only talented people can do that (ever heard of Hallucinogen or Crop Circles? ;):D)

that is true indeed

You must differ between the people who listen to the music only at parties and the people that really are into it music-wise and listen to it at home and wherever too! The people that only listen to the stuff once in a while will most likely not have anything against fullon or all this other "low-talent" music, because they listen only once in a while to it. But when you really are in the scene and go to a lot of parties and listen to new stuff and psyradio stations at home and you always hear the same basic sound concept you get bored quickly and say that because all is so similar that the artists are all copycats from eachother with no talent and such...

437760[/snapback]

I think that is my problem - I live this music for 8 years and so far I've only been to ONE psytrance party. And I didn't liked it. So for me as a home-listener the long-term quality of the music is so much more important than its "danceability".

Well, if you can live with that kind of attitude then I see no bright future for psytance ;) It is dance music, but you can at the same time make danceable tracks and wonderful, layered, multidimensional, emotional music. And only talented people can do that (ever heard of Hallucinogen or Crop Circles? ;):D)

437761[/snapback]

Again, exactly :) A few tracks will be remebered as great classics, but sadly, most tracks will be forgotten. Look at the number of artists/labels/releases these days, it's no secret that most of these will fade away in time.

I think that is my problem - I live this music for 8 years and so far I've only been to ONE psytrance party. And I didn't liked it. So for me as a home-listener the long-term quality of the music is so much more important than its "danceability".

437763[/snapback]

Then you've been to the wrong party! :)

I've been to my share of shitty parties, also my share of kickass parties.

I was a home listener for many years myself, since I was too young to get into any of the parties, so I know the feeling.

Again, exactly :) A few tracks will be remebered as great classics, but sadly, most tracks will be forgotten. Look at the number of artists/labels/releases these days, it's no secret that most of these will fade away in time.

437764[/snapback]

you said yourself:these days.

this is what we all say.

The idea of talent is a very ambiguous one. To me talent is not only creating a good track, but making several good tracks over a period of time - consistency. But there's more to it than that. To me a truly talented artist, in any genre, is one who is both good at creating consistently good music, but one who is also good at marketing themselves (which has to be taken into account when one speaks of the job of the artist, since it tends to be much of the work). For some reason artists with the most talent tend to be poor at marketing themselves. Likewise, most of the best artists are crappy at getting their music to the masses. I don't know exactly why that is, but that's what I've seen over the years. Talent is being in the +/+ direction on the graph, and staying there.

I follow many differnet other styles electronic and non elctronic and there is talent in goa just like their is in other genres,

overrated ???

where did you get that ?

maybe some more info about you're question,

do you mean people say goa is The best music style of all of ??????

I just don't want to get you wrong and reply correctly ;)

Talent is overrated in our scene.

People all over are saying very few of the artists have anything more than music creation knowledge.

Discuss?

437735[/snapback]

Yes, talent is overrated in the psytrance scene, in my opinion the most impressive about these artists is their technical skills but certainly not their musical skills.

I follow many differnet other styles electronic and non elctronic and there is talent in goa just like their is in other genres,

438320[/snapback]

What styles exactly?

I've been into IDM for a couple of years and i see a genre with talented people who respect their name with making non-commercial music just for the few people that love it.I've seen projects getting better and better by album.I've seen projects that created unique high quality music coming to an end (Beefcake,Gridlock,Dither) just because they gave all they had to give and for some other reasons,not making some commercial music to leave the scene with their pockets full.

And thats some of the characteristics of the genre.Would we compare all these with psytrance?We better not.

What styles exactly?

I've been into IDM for a couple of years and i see a genre with talented people who respect their name with making non-commercial music just for the few people that love it.I've seen projects getting better and better by album.I've seen projects that created unique high quality music coming to an end (Beefcake,Gridlock,Dither) just because they gave all they had to give and for some other reasons,not making some commercial music to leave the scene with their pockets full.

And thats some of the characteristics of the genre.Would we compare all these with psytrance?We better not.

438552[/snapback]

in short

elektro, deep house, acid, hardtek, acidtrance, drum'n bass not much, ragga, reggea, dub, ska, ska punk, tehcno not much, funk, psychedelic rock etc...

I agree with the not comparing ;)

i mean - you corrected him, right? so like "kicked in the nuts" since it looked like hes pretty sure about who said that [i dont know whos right tho] :D!

that was meant as a joke :)

439005[/snapback]

ok.

i am sure and i corrected him.

i am correct.

:P

Talent is what makes artists different from eachother. Everyone can practise, but a few have talent.

Of course you won't get good at making music if you don't practise much, but talent helps. And talented people can get what untalented people can not.

As for it being overrated, I don't know. Never discussed it that way. :)