New FILTERIA: HELIOPOLIS" album released!

Jon Cocco

Posted Image

New Filteria album titled "Heliopolis" released Feb 6th. Any thoughts/comments?

Samples...

Psyshop = http://www.psyshop.com/shop/CDs/sut/sut1cd004.html

Saikosounds = http://www.saikosounds.com/english/display...ase.asp?id=5491

*This is not a review thread for those who have ordered and/or fully heard the entire album.

Based on samples:

I just had to listen to one of the saikosounds samples. :D:) The psyshop sample didn't give me the best impression of certain tracks I felt, although the sampling quality at psyshop.

Anyway, Heliopolis has some tracks that seem less layer-piled and/or climax-filled than Sky Imput it seems. I believe the latter part was mentioned not too long ago. Now I admire the excessive, sheer, intense energy and over-the-top with melody-layering and climax-filled madness of Sky Imput... I admire and enjoy that... and I also enjoy the leaning more towards "balance" here while still keeping it mad and wild with more focus on melody structure and occasionally very well done, super big climaxes in place of tons of climaxes all over the place.

Sky Imput was interesting, inspired, ambitious and may just be the most climax-filled trance album ever made to date. Unfortunately, and there are no history books that currently record such a fact (to my knowledge) if that be true. :blink:

This follow-up, based on the samples, sounds very well done, more diversified with style and sound in relation to the debut, while still keeping overall feel, style, and tone... which you may feel sounds more or less the same or different than Sky Imput. It's still loaded with energy, and yet some of it sounds less intense; it still seems to have it's moments of intensity.

If Heliopolis builds and becomes greater as the tracks continue towards the middle-third of the album, I think that will be a great as opposed to throwing a super-song at random, but that's my opinion. The album seems to end nicely with a chill/downtempo track. Surprisingly, it seems some parts drift into an original, yet complex-melodic goatrance style OTHER than the Pleiadians... (!) Does anyone else notice this? Most times I think the Pleiadians-feel and sound is very present, and it's being done in Filteria's style based on THEIR style of course.

Hmmm... I wonder how this will compare to Sky Imput. It is more diverse as opposed to almost every song being mad-layered-crazy-intense back-to-back. I think more people will like this in general, but will more Filteria fans find it better after hearing Sky Imput? The interesting thing about Sky Imput was that Filteria took a beloved style with climaxes and pushed it... But for those who didn't like the so many climaxes and/or Pleiadians style, you'd probably not care for the overall album. It is what it is however, not everyone can like everything. If Jannis tried to make it appeal to everyone it would suck because we have different tastes. No one can appeal to everyone, it's just not humanly possible. Whether Heliopolis achieves as many climaxes as the debut or not, it doesn't seem to be alienating those who enjoyed Sky Imput.

I like the colorful, trippy cover too. It reminds me of some of those really cool covers on classic goatrance albums from back in the day. Transwave covers anyone?! Nice... Sure they could have accentuated the artist and album name better, and the colors are enough to pull in more than the average persons eye.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

listening to samples i can tell that lunar civilisation so called remix sounds horrible and chaotic. IMO

other tracks sound similar to sky input except that quality is better than on sky input. yet they still sound like pleiadians to me.

im a bit annoyed by that sound that was present in all [or allmost] sky input tracks and the same is with this album.

418957[/snapback]

its just that this is not my cup of tea, and pleiades influence is still very obvious :), this kind of music had been done for years before Jannis started to produce, there is nothing new and groundbreaking, at least the way it was with oldskuul ;)

as for lunar civilization - yes, i am a "fan" of original, and only original, because nothing can beat it, power and creativity of crop circles :D!

well i agree that i have to listen to CD when it will be released, but i doubt that something will change my mind. well see, ill definitely will participate in discussion about heliopolis in review section when its reviewed ;)!

my 2c

419123[/snapback]

I am way hyped for it but I think this thread could turn ugly. Everyone has to say something about this and some won't pay any respect to the hard work this guy puts into his music... I know there's the impulse to comment on something if it's popular, especially if one disagrees, but can we all just remember that he reads these forums too? Artists are human beings and some of what the regular psynews ass clown squad says is downright vile. A little bit of conscientiousness for your fellow man would be wicked to see :ph34r:

I haven't heard it at all yet but I sure am looking forward to it... now play nice ;)

The Crop Circles remix extract i listened (IIRC at Saikosounds) was horrible nevertheless i hope other people will be able to appreciate it. I like the initiative. I liked the extract of the first track. Rest was mediocre to me. My problem with Filteria is that his style gets on my nerves more than any other artist i like (not saying its bad or sth, just gets on my nerves). So i think his music comes more to its right when combined with other music e.g. in a (live) mix or on a VA. Wish they did that on Wonderland, spinning some Filteria through all the crap they spinned. But not too much...

I suggest using http://www.saikosounds.com/english/display...ase.asp?id=5491 to listen to samples; better quality than Psyshop.

Thats about the extracts though. Anyone listened to the full album already?

Okay, I've finally got off my arse to register here. I'm not really into fullon, "forest" (what the hell is that) or dark psy or any of that rubbish... but I do like melodic trance. And melodic psy/goa trance. Filteria may not have originality on his side, but he does at least bother to WRITE SOME FUCKING MELODIES.

*ahem*

So, yeah, I'm looking forward to Heliopolis. A lot. I'll be ordering it from Chaosunlimited soon after I wake up tomorrow.

Flipie: how about giving us all a reason why Jannis' music irritates you? Because you haven't, yet. :P

Okay, I've finally got off my arse to register here.  I'm not really into fullon, "forest" (what the hell is that) or dark psy or any of that rubbish... but I do like melodic trance.  And melodic psy/goa trance.  Filteria may not have originality on his side, but he does at least bother to WRITE SOME FUCKING MELODIES.

437372[/snapback]

Ooooo. That's not going to go over well...

For example, MWNN has his own style which one can detect out of thousands (i assume true for many here). But MWNN doesn't get on my nerves. If i knew why i'd tell you, but i don't know exactly why. It depends on what i'm doing and in what state i am. If i'm focussed / busy its less of a problem.

I think in Filteria's case, he has his very own style, but it sounds so like the previous i've heard. I just listened to the extracts again. Case in point: track #1 of Sky Input and Heliopolis, track #5 of Sky Input (although neither doesn't get much on my nerves). Case in point: track #2 of Heliopolis and most of Sky Limit (the popular Snuggling Snail which gets on my nerves).

It may also be related to my opinion that most CDs contain a few good tracks, the rest being used to fill up the remaining 60 or so minutes.

Then there's Apsara. Although Tiny Universe wasn't that good to me either, i can at least say that it didn't get on my nerves. Hence why i think Filteria is excellent music to combine with other styles (say on a VA) because its so one of its own kind. I don't know if he's releasing on more VAs and/or releasing EPs or singles, if he does/did i may appreciate that more.

I know there's the impulse to comment on something if it's popular, especially if one disagrees

Don't think Filteria is popular anywhere but among a few psynews fanatics.. not that being popular is important or anything. Good music usually isn't. However I don't like Filteria at all :)

nuff said w/out too much disrespect I hope :)

Don't think Filteria is popular anywhere but among a few psynews fanatics.. not that being popular is important or anything. Good music usually isn't. However I don't like Filteria at all :)

nuff said w/out too much disrespect I hope :)

437397[/snapback]

Hey traveller, nothing against what you said - you have a total right to your opinion - but I was just curious why you don't like his stuff "at all". I'm not a huge fan myself, but your words were pretty strong. What is it that you don't like, exactly?

I am way hyped for it but I think this thread could turn ugly. Everyone has to say something about this and some won't pay any respect to the hard work this guy puts into his music... I know there's the impulse to comment on something if it's popular, especially if one disagrees, but can we all just remember that he reads these forums too? Artists are human beings and some of what the regular psynews ass clown squad says is downright vile. A little bit of conscientiousness for your fellow man would be wicked to see :ph34r:

I haven't heard it at all yet but I sure am looking forward to it... now play nice ;)

437365[/snapback]

:blink:

wtf?

arent we allowed to voice our opinions, as long as none goes personal and tries to insult him i dont see anytihng wrong about "i dont like his music" posts ;).

Hey traveller, nothing against what you said - you have a total right to your opinion - but I was just curious why you don't like his stuff "at all". I'm not a huge fan myself, but your words were pretty strong. What is it that you don't like, exactly?

437408[/snapback]

cant someone simply dislike something :blink:

i dont like filteria either, so what?

cant someone simply dislike something :blink:

i dont like filteria either, so what?

437596[/snapback]

I'm not attacking. I'm just trying to get more information. I come from an art background where we got used to describing why we dislike something, rather than just saying we dislike something. No need to answer. Just my curiosity.

I'm not attacking. I'm just trying to get more information. I come from an art background where we got used to describing why we dislike something, rather than just saying we dislike something. No need to answer. Just my curiosity.

437601[/snapback]

well, i for example dont like filteria because there is nothing fresh in his sound, IMO.

it just sounds like imitation of pleiadians, as many people have mentioned here - not much of personal touch in his music, no soul <_< .

i still don't understand how the original poster in thread can move along reviewing CD's from 2 or 4 minute samples at 64kbps... that barely says anything about a release. sure you get a rough feel on how it is going to sound, but what is that really telling about the overall product? almost nothing personally. You tend to do that regularly as well, don't have a problem with it or anything, but it seems like you can't even follow musical progression of a track to really have a solid understanding of how it's going to sound. So, i don't see how you can form an oppinion based on that. Plenty of times i have been mistaken about cd's i liked and i odered based on samples that i hated once i got the full product. This does not imply you can't have an opinion... but i just find it a little incomplete... :)

i still don't understand how the original poster in thread can move along reviewing CD's from 2 or 4 minute samples at 64kbps... that barely says anything about a release. sure you get a rough feel on how it is going to sound, but what is that really telling about the overall product? almost nothing personally. You tend to do that regularly as well, don't have a problem with it or anything, but it seems like you can't even follow musical progression of a track to really have a solid understanding of how it's going to sound. So, i don't see how you can form an oppinion based on that. Plenty of times i have been mistaken about cd's i liked and i odered based on samples  that i hated once i got the full product. This does not imply you can't have an opinion... but i just find it a little incomplete...  :)

437635[/snapback]

prepare to burn :D

talking about matsuri-inspierd covers I like this one more:

Posted Image

probably EVP's music fits my style better too, but that I'll be able to find out in few days...

Edited by antic

i still don't understand how the original poster in thread can move along reviewing CD's from 2 or 4 minute samples at 64kbps... that barely says anything about a release. This does not imply you can't have an opinion... but i just find it a little incomplete...  :)

437635[/snapback]

RAH dude, if you're talking about me, my first post is not a review on page 1. Please read again. What I wrote simply is my thoughts, comments, and feelings on the new album. There is no grade, score(s), or even track synopsis for each song, or anything like that. I simply wrote more than the others on this thread. I'd never post a review unless I've heard the entire album at least two times. I believe exactly that. ;)