A study reveals that we make our music purchases

RAH

http://www.livescience.com/humanbiology/06..._hit_songs.html

Popularity contest

Researchers created an artificial "music market" of 14,341 participants drawn from a teen-interest Web site. Upon entering the study's Internet market, the participants were randomly, and unknowingly, assigned to either an "independent" group or a "social influence" group.

Participants could then browse through a collection of unknown songs by unknown bands.

In the independent condition, participants chose which songs to listen to based solely on the names of the bands and their songs. While listening to the song, they were asked to rate it from one star ("I hate it") to five stars ("I love it"). They were also given the option of downloading the song for keeps.

"This condition measured the quality of the songs and allowed us to see what outcome would result in the absence of social influence," said study co-author Matthew Salganik, a sociologist at Columbia University.

In the social influence group, participants were provided with the same song list, but could also see how many times each song had been downloaded.

Researchers found that popular songs were popular and unpopular songs were unpopular, regardless of their quality established by the other group. They also found that as a particular songs' popularity increased, participants selected it more often.

The upshot for markerters: social influence affects decision-making in a market.

This research is detailed in the Feb. 10 issue of the journal Science.

-

I guess you can make your conclusions about the music industry on the psy trance side with that study... ;)

uh......yea. i figured that out after i started purchasing psy/goa based on what sounded good to me versus what the experts say is good or bad. i quit reading reviews and started listening to lots of stuff to define what made me feel happy and stimulated rather than what other people think is great.

i found out that i actually like a lot of full-on and psytrance and that there is more to life than old school goa sound and that yea......i really dislike astral projection and a lot of shpongle's stuttery sound.

after that happened, my music collecting hobby became really fun because instead of bragging that i had a primo collection of rare albums or music that was considered the best of the best, i now have a collection where i can pull any album and be excited for the music on it.

This is not exactly news. At least it shouldn't be to people like us (who don't listen to mainstream music). As long as a track gets pushed enough on radio/tv people will start liking it. A good example is the Idol shit that's going on these days. Another example I can think of is "flat beat" by Mr. Oizo. If that track didn't hadn't been in that levis add, how many people do you think would have liked that track?

:lol:

This is not exactly news. At least it shouldn't be to people like us (who don't listen to mainstream music). As long as a track gets pushed enough on radio/tv people will start liking it. A good example is the Idol shit that's going on these days. Another example I can think of is "flat beat" by Mr. Oizo. If that track didn't hadn't been in that levis add, how many people do you think would have liked that track?

436908[/snapback]

I would rather say how many people would have liked the song if it weren't for the cute little puppet in the funny video...

hey why don't we diss skazi some more

when was the last time you actually heard some skazi?

we are all part of the herd mentality...  ;)

437031[/snapback]

Exactly my thoughts after reading the topic... How many people bash full-on all the time without even give it a listen...

:lol:

I would rather say how many people would have liked the song if it weren't for the cute little puppet in the funny video...

Exactly my thoughts after reading the topic... How many people bash full-on all the time without even give it a listen...

437038[/snapback]

you do get some really good full on out there. its stupid to diss a genre, every genre has the best of its kind.

you do get some really good full on out there. its stupid to diss a genre, every genre has the best of its kind.

437046[/snapback]

Exactly what I mean. I'm also not a big fan of progressive but even I have to agree that there are some releases outhere I like.

436908[/snapback]

Flat beat was actually an underground "hit" in the techno scene before it went to the commercial.

http://www.livescience.com/humanbiology/06..._hit_songs.html

Popularity contest

Researchers created an artificial "music market" of 14,341 participants drawn from a teen-interest Web site. Upon entering the study's Internet market, the participants were randomly, and unknowingly, assigned to either an "independent" group or a "social influence" group.

[..]

-

I guess you can make your conclusions about the music industry on the psy trance side with that study...  ;)

436549[/snapback]

Psyteentrance?