Hallucinogen - Overrated?

Cinos

i have a strand of his hair kept away in a little box... i take it out everyday and just look it. from time, to time... i put under my pillow and i sleep better...

424091[/snapback]

haha :)

This topic is unneccesary. It's like asking if eating and breathing are overrated.

Whether you appreciate the Master's work is irrelevant, the fact is Simon Posford's death will trigger the destruction of our beloved planet. You might consider this bullshit but it is written in the Bible, the Quran and the Torah. Even Dr Seuss mentions it in one of his books.

424109[/snapback]

Dr Seuss ROFL that cracked me up.. BRILLIANT! :DPosted Image

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, let me take u thru the tracks of "Twisted".

LSD: Great track, one of the first goa tracks. Mysterious atmosphere, classic sample (although not very original).

Orphic Trench: Storming acid madness, but with moods that go deeper beyond.

Alpha Centauri: A really long track. The rhythmics here are very original, his use of percussion is extremely musical compared to other trance artists. The melodies are simple but work well.

Dark Magus: This track is completely original, the main synths are scary and effective, the melodies that lead to the final climax are very clever and still emotional.

Shamanix: What is there to say... Great track, until the improvised synth melody kicks in and takes us too heaven or whatever place or state of mind that we've been longing for.

Snarling Black Mabel: This track has a special atmosphere, very dark but still playful. The bass bounces between the speakers and drippling effects sprinkle out the spectrum.

Fluoro Neuro Sponge: No question about it: this is the "dancefloor killargh" of the album. Using Posfords trick of transforming triplet rhythm into straight standard rhythm and at the same time dragging us deeper into the tracks. Screaming synths are the backbone of this track.

Solstice: This is the track that i like the least on the album, but it's still a cool track. The only one i can't recall in my memory though.

So, that means this album is EXCEPTIONAL.

And the follow up is just madness and perfection drenched in perfect crystal clear, mysterious production. That's 10/10 if there is any.

hallucinogen is probly the most deranging mind twisting music i know, but really... a bit too dark and fucked up for me...  for goa im more of a cosmosis or D5 kinda guy...  B) and if i want the darker more wild & twisted goa, then total eclipse, mfg, planet ben or pleiadians will do me better...  B) hallucinogen just always had a slightly nervewracking upsetting feeling to it...

424255[/snapback]

That´s exactly what i think, too. The tracks aren´t uplifting enough for me, psycheelic trance should put you in brighter atmosphere´s than what he has done. If he didn´t used so much reverbeffects in his songs and he didn´t used that equing of the synths the tracks wouldn´t be as dark as they be.

I knew the responses would be like this. <_<

I don't think he's a god. I just gave you my view of the albums. He is/was a genious in my opinion. That doesn't mean i'll blindly adore anything he puts out.

I knew the responses would be like this.  <_<

I don't think he's a god. I just gave you my view of the albums. He is/was a genious in my opinion. That doesn't mean i'll blindly adore anything he puts out.

424557[/snapback]

No I wasn't being sarcastic.

It's all authentic 100% nonsense, no harm intended!

That´s exactly what i think, too. The tracks aren´t uplifting enough for me, psycheelic trance should put you in brighter atmosphere´s than what he has done. If he didn´t used so much reverbeffects in his songs and he didn´t used that equing of the synths the tracks wouldn´t be as dark as they be.

424553[/snapback]

Trance shouldn't be uplifting all the time. If it was it would be incredibly boring. Music is about tapping into and stirring emotions, all sorts of emotions, not just uplifting and euphoric emotions.

Seriously, if all trance music sounded like Astral Projection the genre would be extremely dull and if all trance music sounded like Hallucinogen the genre would be extremely dull.

I personally prefer the darker, twisted, really psychedelic stuff that is best played at night rather than the smoother 'sunrise' trance but I appreciate both have their place as indeed do the many other styles

@qa2pir - I don't think anyone genuinely considers him a god. It's just a bit of fun. Think of it as taking the piss out of ourselves, an ability to laugh and joke at something we feel passionate about.

No, you're making fun of me... And as the world is centred around me, you're making fun of the whole balance in the world, thus causing extreme catastrophes in the world that consists of me.

:'(

No, you're making fun of me... And as the world is centred around me, you're making fun of the whole balance in the world, thus causing extreme catastrophes in the world that consists of me.

:'(

424589[/snapback]

are you simon posford?

Charlie a good point of you most tracks of him give me the same feelings and i somehow miss the feelings which psytrance gives my usually. Ofcourse trance shouldn´t be the same all the time but i think the tracks of hallucinogen would be better if they would be a bit more brighter.

I like the threads here this days, finally there aren´t always the same discussions about the fullon artists like artifact and so on which i see all the time here.

The thing that i respect about Simon is that during the years he kept doing what he thought was good, instead of following trends (minimal/full on).

As for his music, he has produced many mediocre stuff, but also many excellent ones both in the past (btw, does anybody remembers his tracks under the coop infernal machine?) and the present. His most reacent achievement for me (having not heard the new Shpongle) is the Younger Brother album. Excellent stuff.

The thing that i respect about Simon is that during the years he kept doing what he thought was good, instead of following trends (minimal/full on).

As for his music, he has produced many mediocre stuff, but also many excellent ones both in the past (btw, does anybody remembers his tracks under the coop infernal machine?) and the present. His most reacent achievement for me (having not heard the new Shpongle) is the Younger Brother album. Excellent stuff.

424636[/snapback]

Younger Brother has very heavy Prometheus feeling on it.. imo

Whether you appreciate the Master's work is irrelevant, the fact is Simon Posford's death will trigger the destruction of our beloved planet. You might consider this bullshit but it is written in the Bible, the Quran and the Torah. Even Dr Seuss mentions it in one of his books.

424109[/snapback]

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

On topic: It's a matter of taste and 'overratedness' is even more subjective term than 'taste'. So there is no answer. Stating something sucks (in other word 'I dont like something') is ok, but saying that something is 'overrated' is saying that 'Other people like it, but I dont' WTF? I cant see a point. I say its bullshit. Music cannot be over or underrated.

My opinion. Ill post it on the other thread too :)

Well, I don't even bother reading this thread from the beginning because I can pretty much guess the two poles around which the issue is revolving, but just gotta say that I've been listening to trance for 8 years and I also listen to a lot of different music (mostly, actually) and for me, Posford's sound has always had some really special factor that just lifts it above everybody else. He uses the same tricks and sounds over and over, but they happen to be some that I like very much! I don't care for change so much inside some definite genre... I like more the variation between completely different angles of asthetic experience. I had actually been listening to psy for some years before I first heard Twisted. I was immediately spellbound, and I remeber thinking: "oh yeah! so it IS possible to make a good psy ALBUM contra some good individual tracks!"

It's like with Mucha's art nouveau posters... Every single one looks great, even though they're almost identical stylewise. And though there were also other great ones like Beardsley etc, Mucha is simply the best in this one definite colourful style, which I happen to prefer against more abstract styles like Toulouse Lautrec's etc...

And then there's something else like art deco, which is cool in a _different_ way, with completely different artists.

Solstice: This is the track that i like the least on the album, but it's still a cool track. The only one i can't recall in my memory though.

So, that means this album is EXCEPTIONAL.

424542[/snapback]

I think Solstice is one of the best tracks on the album... That legato sine lead is just sublime...

Well, I don't even bother reading this thread from the beginning because I can pretty much guess the two poles around which the issue is revolving, but just gotta say that I've been listening to trance for 8 years and I also listen to a lot of different music (mostly, actually) and for me, Posford's sound has always had some really special factor that just lifts it above everybody else. He uses the same tricks and sounds over and over, but they happen to be some that I like very much! I don't care for change so much inside some definite genre... I like more the variation between completely different angles of asthetic experience. I had actually been listening to psy for some years before I first heard Twisted. I was immediately spellbound, and I remeber thinking: "oh yeah! so it IS possible to make a good psy ALBUM contra some good individual tracks!"

It's like with Mucha's art nouveau posters... Every single one looks great, even though they're almost identical stylewise. And though there were also other great ones like Beardsley etc, Mucha is simply the best in this one definite colourful style, which I happen to prefer against more abstract styles like Toulouse Lautrec's etc...

And then there's something else like art deco, which is cool in a _different_ way, with completely different artists.

427014[/snapback]

hey taika-kim, are you alzo registered on KVRaudio? I downloaded some tracks from you there, really awesome stuff, i like the track flowers whatever? very very

much. Can you tell me what synths you use to make so good tracks or cut you send me some presets that you saved? I can you send some presets from mine that sound for example like astral projection supersaw leads or like the synth at the end of hallucinogen - fluoro neuro shponge. To the hallucinogen, yes he used the same tricks that i like, some tracks of him give me really the feeling that i´am in very dry mountains and it is very hot there, for example gama goblin part 2 at the end, or the remix of Jana or Synthesizler at the end and some other like LSD Live mix, what a feeling, i alzo only know from him one of the best psysounds, i mean that sound that start at 0:56, i would like very much to have presets of this sound for some synthesizers.

Well, yeah I guess he kinda is.

But that´s also a matter of taste. I always preferred stuff like s.w.m or masaray, etc... to hallucinogen.

we have to give Hallucinogen some credit, but yes, he's over-rated. and over-hyped for nothing new.

427047[/snapback]

just because you don't happen to like hallucinogen's music shouldn't take your sense of objectiveness away.

How can anyone say LSD was nothing new in 1993?

FFS it's something new even today!

"the man's A GOD!"