Is goa dead or not, where does it stand?

Aeros

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yeah but some after-Goa-tranceRIP tsuyoshi i heard wasnt that good...

or e.g  the Sounds Of Feedback compilation...

421919[/snapback]

hey m8,i like sounds of feedback more than any other psy-trance Or "darkpsy" release,nicy techno soundscapes...

yeah yeah I was there I saw em live :)

422711[/snapback]

oh yeah mr. a very nice & rainy festival with a very good line-up... B)

hey m8,i like sounds of feedback more than any other psy-trance Or "darkpsy" release,nicy techno soundscapes...

422891[/snapback]

personally i would prefer it 1 thousand times to listen to derango or para halu or procs than this one... the only track i liked a lot was mitsumoto - fffuse

The problem with old goa tunes sounding often dated is usually with the production, not the tunes necessarily.

I think that the spiritual/hypnotic/sublime sound wasn't even half explored before the cyber tech full on prog etc took over.

It's very much like with art nouveau in the beginning of the 20th century... There was great promise in the works of Victor Horta, Antonio Gaudi & the whole lot, but after the first ideological clashes with the modern society and the first world war the style was forgotten really fast and different styles of modernism took over... And it took a long time for a new paradigm to take hold after that, at least until the 60s or so...

I don't mean that everybody should try to sound like Doof or GNOTR, but that there is SO much more to trance music than this maxxed out grinding & bubbling that psytrance is these days.

The problem with newschool is that people are just trying to sound like the old records they like. That's the manneristic fallacy, and getting over it is the first step in starting the journey towards the still mostly uncharted seas of spiritual trance!

The problem with newschool is that people are just trying to sound like the old records they like. That's the manneristic fallacy, and getting over it is the first step in starting the journey towards the still mostly uncharted seas of spiritual trance!

422932[/snapback]

-_-:)

422932[/snapback]

Yes, exactly, that's it!

Once again:

TORAKKA

:ph34r:my review :ph34r:

Guest The Journey Man Project

Goa isn;t dead, it's just really shit... went there a coupla years ago, it looked my garbage bin...

Edited by The Journey Man

Discussion in Radi's thread about finding a label here had abit of sidetracking going on, I think radi was looking for an "oldschool goa" label, such as those that released this music 5-10 years ago and heres what some people had to say on that

Heres a few things people said that stood out for me:

(Firstly, I wasn't aware that filteria and goasia were cheesy ;) ) but yes, what did happen to those old labels, haven't they been fairly consistently releasing cheesy full on compilations or remixes since the past couple of years, are there any exceptions?

From what I can collect, "oldschool" seems to be the most popular choice of psy music on these boards, with the exception of some unique release here and there, and mayhaps Suntrip in the eyes of some.

So then, what does music that is Goa Trance mean Today? Is the music dead, is it still evolving, or did it merge into some form of psytrance and then get completely destroyed by skazi?

What I want to know is what is going to happen to this amazing music. It seems when something new is put forth, everyone expects it to sound like it came out of 1997, the oldies esteem it as not having the energy goa had before, and the newbies see it as copying some older artists and not being original. How much originality are we allowing Goa to have before we completely shut off all horizons and not allow anything to be called goa unless it was produced 5 years ago. The music needs to evolve or else it dies out, and for that people need to be open to it evolving and accept new styles.

You can't exactly blame the labels today for releasing full-on when that is the most popular music in the current generation of psy trancers. Thats what makes them money and thats what most parties are playing.

So the discussion is on what Goa is today, if its dead what do you make of the struggling goa releases and the rather large amateur scene that is still in love with this music and giving it a chance to progress. What do you make of the current trend of psy and how long do you think it will be before it crashes and this music dies down completely or turns into the equivalent of what minimal 120bpm club trance is to progress trance in the late 90s.

Particularly, I'm interested in a number of amateur and unreleased artists out there who clearly are not full-on, and clearly are calling themselves goa.

I for one have been meddling in producing for about a year and a half and I miss the energy I would hear in "oldschool goa", in my own songs I tend to do my own style of modern production but try to maximize the freedom, energy, and trance that you would hear in goa trance, I'd like to call it goa but would people today still call it goa?

If I can sample you two tracks, what do you think of them, or their style? (click to download)

Wizard Magic

Firebloom

And then, what is the opinion on amateurs who are calling themselves goa or newschool goa such as Infinite Dimensions, Alienated Buddha, Lost Budda (who had a release with Suntrip) , Message to Earth, PsyGoa, Halosian, or myself Mindcrawlers - not to mention plenty of other artists who have been released or are at other sites which I won't bother to showcase here... (if you're one of them and reading the list feel free to add yourself :) It would be nice if we could have some sort of list of these guys)

Goa or wanabe goa. I guess it depends on what your definition of goa is and when you started listening to it. The more acute your definition of goa is, the less chance goa  is going to get to change and progress itself.

Discuss

421890[/snapback]

I think that people need to stay openminded to music and Goa just as it was the first time Goa was invented. I for once, try to do my own style of Goa. Both (ofcourse) sounding like Goa did (because I like Goa) but also trying to evolve it to bring new elements and a different trackstructure to the music. Some people has called it "too strange", some people has liked it, some not. It doesn't matter as long as we are trying to evolve the Goa music not trying to sound exactly the same as all the oldschool music and as long as we like what we do ourselves.

Some people say: Newschool sounds too outdated or too copied from oldschool music. Well, some newschool Goa sounds almost identical to some oldschool tracks but I think it's more of an issue that this particular artist likes this typical sound and wants to do it (or in some cases infact is a copycat indeed). For thoose of you who says that oldschool sounds outdated. Well, what if you like that sound? I'm sure it's not the music who is outdated but more that you have grown past liking that sound. I'm sure you wouldn't like another I.F.O to be released contrary to us who like oldschool/newschool wouldn't have anything against it at all. I still like new released oldschool EBM just as much as I liked my first Nitzer Ebb. But it is nice if it has some new extra evoluted formulas added to it. Just as it is nice to have some new extra evoluted formulas added to the new released Goa. It isn't necessary though. I would like another I.F.O.

Why are labels choosing releasing full-on instead of Goa? Yes, because of the popularity of full-on which makes it a profit and preferable to release.

Why is full-on more popular then Goa? Because younger people are feed with full-on for 90% of what is released and played at parties these days. They simply do not know the oldschool/newschool sound therefor there's no demand of it. And therefor no one wants to release it or have it played at parties.

What to do? Give all the oldschoolers/newschoolers/labels (Suntrip) credit/appreciation/encourage for keeping it up. Because we need that since in contrary to full-on we don't get any money of it or any gigs either for that matter.

I'm sure everything works in circles. Just like the 80's music is coming back now such as synthmusic influences (Madonna, Robbie Williams and more). Goa will come back for sure (probably evolved in some way as we can already see in some newschool artists music already today).

Trust in (real) trance :) There's nothing like melodic psychedelic Goa trance :)

PS. You can always speculate in why people (mostly younger people) is satisfied with full-on not seeking for alternatives such as Goa (or liking Goa equally much). I think it has to do with the society we're living in these days. The harshness, no one has time, the stress, it's more like pounding away your inner anxiety with full-on music then taking your time and meditating to some really nice spirited soultravelling-relaxing Goa. I think most younger people are rather cynical these days. And who can blame them? Everything is about power, money struggling with unemployment needing to be rough enough to get a job. There's no room for our soules anylonger. Just when we really need it as most.

Thanks to all fo he informations

haha, I knew you would say that :)

Anyway, if someone has promos of nice melodic music, don't hesistate to send it please! :) (contact via mail or pm here is also possible)

About the continous new school vs old school discussion, once again our aim is just to release good music we like, with modern production... I agree that our releases are close to the old sound of course, but for instance with the Ka Sol album we'll touch some other territories as well...

422062[/snapback]

Soon i will send you some tracks of mine which i produced over the last 3 months, they sound pretty ood and they don´t sound unprofessional anymore coz of my expensive mastering plugins.

i haven't read the whole thread but i was just thinking this:

don't you think that when compared to other styles like rock 'n roll etc, goatrance only had a very short lifetime? i mean, if you compare, the rock 'n roll bands last longer, and they keep on producing the same music for say 40 yrs for example.

don't you think it's weird that the whole 'goa trance' genre had SO many artists, SO many labels, and yet faded out that quick? even if you compare the lifetime of a goa group (let's just call it that way) and a rock 'n roll band, they last a LOT longer!

why?

i haven't read the whole thread but i was just thinking this:

don't you think that when compared to other styles like rock 'n roll etc, goatrance only had a very short lifetime? i mean, if you compare, the rock 'n roll bands last longer, and they keep on producing the same music for say 40 yrs for example.

don't you think it's weird that the whole 'goa trance' genre had SO many artists, SO many labels, and yet faded out that quick? even if you compare the lifetime of a goa group (let's just call it that way) and a rock 'n roll band, they last a LOT longer!

why?

423583[/snapback]

Because rock'n roll is influenced in so many different genres. Guitar music is so much more accepted by a wider amount of people compared to Goa. Goa is a very small genre/hard-to-understand-type-of-music compared to rock'n roll. Therefor more sensitive to changes as which happened when full-on was introduced.

People who supported Goa abandoned it and went for full-on instead.

Guest Elysium

And this small amount of people who supported Goa abandoned it and went for full-on instead.

423606[/snapback]

I got a problem with the word abandoned.

It's no secret I am not a Fullon lover but to say someone abandoned a music style is not fair IMO.

I always see it like this. Music that survive is music that is timeless. Sorry but most dancefloor music incl. Goa or Fullon etc. is not timeless. It's music created to last a while until the next track comes along. There are of course exceptions. But overall it's not timeless. If it was it would have survived and played a much bigger role now.

Edited by Elysium

Space Tribe has existed as a group/artist for more than 10 years!

That's pretty impressive.

And i also think that you have to compare trance or perhaps psytrance in general (not just one part of it) with the rock scene. Rock that was modern in 1970 is not made anymore now, correct me if i'm wrong. It has evolved into new forms of rock. But we still compare this movement to "goa trance" which was just a little specific sound.

Guest Elysium

Yes you can, but it would become boring :)

423625[/snapback]

agree. i love the fact that we now can go cross-link and mix different styles togther ... as a musician is 10 times more fun and challeging than to repeat the same melodies and sounds that i have done for the past 12+ years.

It's no secret I am not a Fullon lover but to say someone abandoned a music style is not fair IMO.

I always see it like this. Music that survive is music that is timeless. Sorry but most dancefloor music incl. Goa or Fullon etc. is not timeless. It's music created to last a while until the next track comes along. There are of course exceptions. But overall it's not timeless. If it was it would have survived and played a much bigger role now.

423617[/snapback]

Its not timeless, because its constantly evolving into new things. Its morphing at every second, because artists are eager to create something new. Oke, we have been stuck with the same sound now for a couple of years, but there are plenty of artists that have made very good changes to the music that you (Elysium) and me were used to in 1990-92, or dont you agree? :)

agree.  i love the fact that we now can go cross-link and mix different styles togther ... as a musician is 10 times more fun and challeging than to repeat the same melodies and sounds that i have done for the past 12+ years.

423627[/snapback]

Hell Yeah, now we are talking. Lets create some goa house electro with fat vocals!!! :D

423617[/snapback]

I think trance is timeless. Sure it won't always sound exactly the same (as we have experienced now). But certain elements are so unique with trancemusic so it will survive in some sort of evoluted way I'm sure.

And yes I think it was abandoned, some people who liked Goa liked the change to full-on and maybe even more new people who was earlier unfamiliar to trance (Goa) got their eyes opened when full-on was introduced (there is, and probably always has been more people liking full-on then Goa for some reasons). So it came popular and everyone saw their chance to earn some $ and the demand of this music to be played at parties also grew by that same time. Goa was forgotten/abandoned for a while simply because full-on took too much of attention when it was first introduced.

always see it like this. Music that survive is music that is timeless. Sorry but most dancefloor music incl. Goa or Fullon etc. is not timeless. It's music created to last a while until the next track comes along. There are of course exceptions. But overall it's not timeless. If it was it would have survived and played a much bigger role now

it can be and is timeless to some people..

no music is timeless to all people...

e.g Pink Floyd are timeless [to some] but still this style is dead .

Guest Elysium

Its not timeless, because its constantly evolving into new things. Its morphing at every second, because artists are eager to create something new. Oke, we have been stuck with the same sound now for a couple of years, but there are plenty of artists that have made very good changes to the music that you (Elysium) and me were used to in 1990-92, or dont you agree? :)

423629[/snapback]

hmm i am not agreeing 100%. i think the scene's music have been stuck for a much much longer time.... and when i talk about timeless music then i talk about music that still today sound fresh and honestly..IMO not much goa does...my music included.

sure there's been changes and that's all cool. BUT way too many artists in this scene are trapped in a box of the same sound and same kind of music and still have a very hard time breaking oit and daring to experiment.... I wont get into why .. thats another topic i guess.. I got my thoughts though to why there's so little experienting going on in this scene ;)

Guest Elysium

So it came popular and everyone saw their chance to earn some $ and the demand of this music to be played at parties also grew by that same time.

Actually there was many more atists making much more money in the good old goa days from their music and gigs than today... so i dont really buy into that point :)

it's a common misunderstanding that we did not make very good money and in the good old goa days... lets get the facts on the table.

We all did a lot of money. sorry to burst the bubble :)

Edited by Elysium

I think you cannot compare it to rockn roll in general

psychedelic rock or acid rock can be compared, or else you have to say lifespan of electronic dance music

and psy/acid rock, it sure did have a shorter lifespan than goatrance

66-69 i would say

rest is wannabe psyrock

my father was into that, he lived in uk in swinging sixties and sventies

and i was a serious psy rock listener whatever that means (maybe i say this because i have more than 700 titles at home)

goa/acid/psy trance is going much better i think

now people just put on and listen or collect (it is one of the most serious genre in music collection) but what elder friends or my father says, it was actually a dance/party thing just like goa :) then it went on the same route that we are on now

generic, commercial, image only with few exceptions of old school wanabees of psyrock

even grateful dead was not doing psy after 69 :)

Actually there was many more atists making much more money in the good old goa days from their music and gigs than today... so i dont really buy into that point:)

423640[/snapback]

Yes because it was fresh. Trance for the first time. With full-on it got kinda fresh again and could bring a lot of money again although it didn't sound like Goa many of the old artists/labels turned into making/releasing full-on.