Unique Albums?

TheCreamFilling

I think people are setting a pretty low standard for what's "unique" here, I mean there's no way Hallucinogen, Chi-Ad or Koxbox are unique in any way. They're good artists, but that doesn't make their music "unique". Lots of others have made music in the same vein. If I was to name a truly unique one, it would probably be Eat Static - Science Of The Gods. A unique Mix of experimental psy, jungle and DnB. Anything Eat Static have done is more or less unique really.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think people are setting a pretty low standard for what's "unique" here, I mean there's no way Hallucinogen, Chi-Ad or Koxbox are unique in any way. They're good artists, but that doesn't make their music "unique". Lots of others have made music in the same vein. If I was to name a truly unique one, it would probably be Eat Static - Science Of The Gods. A unique Mix of experimental psy, jungle and DnB. Anything Eat Static have done is more or less unique really.

416325[/snapback]

now that's as false statement as is to say it's low standard to say Eat Static is "unique".

edit: uups!

edit2: screw it. it's all mumbo jumbo. from now on only finnish.

Edited by |o|o|p|i|u|m|

now that's as false statement than to say it's low standard to say Eat Static is "unique".

416334[/snapback]

w...t...f. Could you PLEASE make sense? I really have no idea of what you just said.

w...t...f. Could you PLEASE make sense? I really have no idea of what you just said.

416341[/snapback]

oh I'm sorry, did I do some terrible grammar error there?

I can't really spot the "hard to get"-ness of that one.

Maybe you should try to re-formulate your sentence, there's more than a "grammar error" there I'm afraid....

416356[/snapback]

The sentence was grammatically poor but the message was clear enough.

The sentence was grammatically poor but the message was clear enough.

416357[/snapback]

I understood he disagreed with what I said, but that was about it. My point is that "unique" means something really out of the ordinary, something that is unlike everything else stylewise. This definition fits way better on Eat Static than on, say Chi-Ad. But hey, feel free to disagree.... B)

oh I wish I had english skills of an englishman.

but anyways yes I was disagreeing.

To compare koxbox and eat static:

eat static is techno, drum'n'bass, trance, psy.

koxbox is psychedelic trance. (some techy stuff nowadays eh? but I'm talking more of the mid 90s here.)

what's common factor with these acts?

the common factor is that they've appreciated and known in the psytrance scene.

and what do one knows, we're on a psyforum!

what I'm trying to get here is that the people who talk about these projects come from psy-community.

so, as I've heard a fair amount of psy, I can easily say there's nothing close to that mad sound of ol' koxbox.

but to say eat static is unique? From what I've heard, they are. But then again think of the scale of styles is in their sound!

Do you view yourself as an expert in the field of d'n'b, techno, breaks, salsa, etc?

I'm guessing not? well, not in all those areas are you?

so, to draw a conclusion, how could one know is eat static unique, as their sound is so broad, and you basicly should through-outly know most genres of electronic music that you could really say "yes, there's nothing alike."

as for koxbox-sound being merely psy, you can quite easily make such statement.

Some twisted releases have a sound world of their own. Not completely unique since some came after them but for example Uns 1 was very different sounding to everything else when it came out. But along came Twisted Sessions 1 and then YBs a Flock of Bleeps.. umm yeah

what is this hspongle?

PLANET B.E.N. - TRIPPY FUTURE GARDEN

BATTLE OF THE FUTURE BUDDHAS - TWIN SHARKFINS

BLUE PLANET CORPORATION - BLUE PLANET

SHAOLIN WOODEN MEN - SUPERMINDWAY

UX - ULTIMATE EXPERIENCE

MFG - PROJECT GENESIS

TOI DOI - TECHNOLOGIC

SLIDE - UNSTABLE

X-DREAM - RADIO

SHPONGLE - ARE YOU SHPONGLED ?

FUTURE SOUND OF LONDON - DEAD CITIES

THE ORB - ORBUS TERRARUM

FUTURE SOUND OF LONDON - LIFEFORMS

SYNAESTHESIA - DESIDERATUM

Element: Full Moon

A real 3-piece bànd playing progressive trance WITH vocals, unprecedented at that time & still my benchmark for anything that includes voices.

SBK: Treibstoff

Clean, synthetic, minimal progressive: not too dry, too hard, too boring, just great stuff.

Ticon: Aero

First album that fuses rasta-vocals with proggy-trance. They also use a lot of slower break-beats here...

so, to draw a conclusion, how could one know is eat static unique, as their sound is so broad, and you basicly should through-outly know most genres of electronic music that you could really say "yes, there's nothing alike."

as for koxbox-sound being merely psy, you can quite easily make such statement.

416389[/snapback]

What I'm saying is that nobody makes music the way Eat Static do, with mixing of different styles. I think that's a pretty safe statement to make. About Koxbox, you may have a point that their music is somewhat unique based on the level of psychedelism. However, I don't think their stuff released under the Saiko-pod alias is anywhere near unique, and the same goes with many other names mentioned in this thread, which really was my point to begin with.

What I'm saying is that nobody makes music the way Eat Static do, with mixing of different styles. I think that's a pretty safe statement to make. About Koxbox, you may have a point that their music is somewhat unique based on the level of psychedelism. However, I don't think their stuff released under the Saiko-pod alias is anywhere near unique, and the same goes with many other names mentioned in this thread, which really was my point to begin with.

417150[/snapback]

I agree. But I was more pointing my criticism to your statements about hallucinogen and koxbox, which aren't highly appreciated for nothing. :)

I wasn't talking about koxbox' sideprojects at all. (haven't even much heard saiko-pod to be honest.)

I wasn't talking about koxbox' sideprojects at all. (haven't even much heard saiko-pod to be honest.)

417180[/snapback]

Yeah I know, I was referring to another reply in this thread, in which Saiko-pod's album was mentioned.

But what the hell - "unique" means different things to different people I guess.

I have yet to hear an artist in anything related to psytrance or trance music in general, that has more of an own style than Juno Reactor. Of course I recognize individual styles of other artists, but they're just not as original and unimitated.

417175[/snapback]

Agreed, Juno Reactor is a very good example of something really unique IMO.

Shaolin Wooden Men - Supermindway

Which is just fucking Nuts

Infected Mushroom's - I'm the supervisor

sounds like dark 80's funk mixed with trance, not heard that anywhere else.

The Prodigy - Music for the Jilted Generation

I know its not psy but it is so famous and no one has even maneged to successfully copy liam's style that I think it should be here

Non Trance albums:

FSOL - Dead Cities

Hardfloor - Respect

Speedy J - Ginger

Equinox - Holon

Noise Unit - Voyeur

Plastikman - Music

Roni Size - New Forms

Daft Punk - Homework

Biosphere - Microgravity

Delerium - Spheres 1 & 2

The Orb - Orbus Terrarum