I listened to the Austrian Philharmonic Orchestra

Guest The Journey Man Project

realised how much effort went into the early goa//psytrance/chillout music... whilst you cannot compare it really with writing a symphony, compared on a global music scale in the present, surely those artitst of the goa era were true musicial genius... to be able to take so many sounds, playing at once, and make it pleasant to hear... for the first time in my life I understood what was so good about classical music... now I cannot get enough of it... which makes my dad very happy...

rnot 100% sure, many styles and names were played/spoken, and I got as bit confused...

I'm very new to it all... I'd love to buy some cd's of clasical music, of famous pieces... like a compilation... I just sat for 4 hours in front of the TV riveted, never heard anything like it... altho I'd heard classical music before, just this moment it all clicked... it was an amazing experience...

i love mahler

sibelius has some very very nice moments

tchaikovsky had it going for him too

arvo part

medtner

some wagner gives me goosebumps

trying to understand scriabin, because he is my mom's favourite, but cannot appreciate it yet

too many to mention here

I like some classical music, my favorite is Rachmaninov for the piano works. I recently found out he also did great choral music, it's religious music but really beautiful (Liturgy of St. John's Chrysostom). It's like... the perfect ambient. ;)

I don't think I'll ever really get into classical music though. After a while I get bored with the limited range of sounds... then I want to get back to ambient: less melody, but more interesting sounds and imaginative atmospheres.

Would you mind recommending some non-cheesy (no mozart, no beethoven, none of that) classical to me? I'm thinking like the Gladiator soundtrack, or like Orff - O Fortuna (or something like that).

Would you mind recommending some non-cheesy (no mozart, no beethoven, none of that) classical to me? I'm thinking like the Gladiator soundtrack, or like Orff - O Fortuna (or something like that).

407756[/snapback]

some chopin is quite beautiful. l337 skillz with the piano.

407756[/snapback]

uhm.. HAHA. dont you think you got the cheese a bit mixed up there? beethoven and mozart were musical geniouses far beyond your wildest imagination.. and whilst hans zimmer is great at what he does .. he's the biggest cheese of them all. the BIGGEST :)

.x

sibelius has some very very nice moments

407570[/snapback]

do people know our dear sibelius outside finland too? nice. :)

I like some classical music. Unlike in psy, I like it clear and recognizable. But I rarely come across that kind of stuff.

uhm.. HAHA. dont you think you got the cheese a bit mixed up there? beethoven and mozart were musical geniouses far beyond your wildest imagination..

407798[/snapback]

I have to agree. They're the complete opposite of cheese.

407756[/snapback]

Hanz Zimmer made that soundtrack with Lisa Gerard (my diva) lead singer of Dead can dance

try Lisa Gerard with Patrick Cassidy or Dead can dance or Mediaeval baebes

Guest Elysium

I'm very new to it all... I'd love to buy some cd's of clasical music, of famous pieces

Try out Debussy. His Images or La Mer are amazing works.

Debussy

Dont do the mistake and buy those modern "Get to know classical music A-Z" compilations. They do not do the amazing composers any just. To fully get the musical journey you got to listen through the works .....It can be mindblowing. :)

I also want to mention Vivaldi's The four Seasons. It's a very popular composition but in my mind really beautiful and amazing.

Vivaldi

Edited by Elysium

If you like classic solo piano I recommend Schubert's Impromptus.

They're not too complex and have a very natural flow. It's not too virtuoso, impressionistic stuff, just very beautiful in its "simplicity" when performed right.

My favorites:

Schubert - Impromptu Op 90 No 4

Schubert - Impromptu Op 142 No 2: Very calm "everything is alright" kind of piece. I taught myself this one and could play it a bit.. damn I think I totally forgot, the only classical piece I ever played. :)

Something like O Fortuna, is there? That epic feel.  :unsure:

408168[/snapback]

Try William Stromberg, some of his best work employs powerful transients and Latin quires in a similar fashion to Orff's O Fortuna.

Something like O Fortuna, is there? That epic feel.  :unsure:

408168[/snapback]

Verdi - Requiem - Dies irae

edit: oh and Ray Manzareks version of Carmina Burana (includes O Fortuna) is f¤%ing fantastic... but it's rock.

Respect to those who like classical music.

I don't ... but actually not because I don't like it but rather because my mind can not digest it. It sounds funny, I know ... and concerning film music I find classical music very nice (LOTR for example), but listening to it at home, like I do listen to ambient or psy, is not possible with me.

My mother once gave me a ticket for a classical concert (she was going on a voyage and the ticket was expensive so she wanted me to go because otherwise it would have been for nothing) and I really went there although I knew I didn't like classic, but I wanted to give it a last chance - I was about to see the Austrian Philharmonic Orchestra (like The Journey Man :) ). Well, it didn't work, I didn't like it. I liked the calm parts, where only one or two violins or just very few instruments playing, there I can identify melodies and layers, that is okay. But then when the whole orchestra is playing it's just a sound salad in my head. And this got on my nerves soon and I so did not enjoy anything at all in the later half, it was rather fatiguing for me and I went home very tired from listening...

Of course, listening to psytrance with multiple layers of harsh sounds, crazy melodies, relentless basslines, loud and fast rhythms, twisted FX etc. is much easier for the ears :D

Really, it's a matter of acquired taste. Some classical pieces are simply too long and complex....it will only start to make sense when you listen multiple times.

... I don't even like that kind of psytrance so much ... rather prefer it not-so-weird to avoid brain salad ... but it depends...

I agree that to get seriously into classic I should start carefully with soft and easy stuff. But then I don't see the point why I should buy CDs of stuff that I actually don't like at the moment just to get into it?

The concert was a test. And well, it was even better than I thought it to be (I even liked a tiny bit of it :) ), but the length of the concert and my attention slipping away in the later part and the occasional for me mentally undigestable sound salads turned it into a fatiguing session. That's the point where I learned that I can not digest classic. And that's the point where I stopped dissing classic, but having respect for the music and its listeners for they can comprehend what I can not.