drum & bass VS trance

why is that the trance is more connected to psychedelic culture, and drum & bass is more connected to black/rap culture?

I think good drum & bass can be just as much psychedelic... but few artist chooses that path. I'm not only talking about producers like Total Eclipse, Devian Electronics who has clear influences of trance music. I also mean producers like Seba, PFM, Blu Mar Ten ... those artists can really blow my mind, in a psychedelic way.

and with trance, it's almost the opposite, things go to an extreme which makes it cliché. I mean shiva-covers, druggy vocal samples, etc...

what I'm trying to say here, I really like drum & bass, but I can relate more to psychedelic culture than rap/black culture.... I'd like to see an merge here... or just claim that I'm not schizophrenic :D

I must admit that the best non-psy electronic music I have heard that has similar energy to psy is drum and bass. Never really got into it though.

It's like this whole other world and parts of it seem very commerical, well as commercial as any music like that ever is I guess.

The main reason I never got into it though was that I just don't have the time to get into it and figure out what's going on. Furthermore, the people I have met who are heavily into it are usually ex-hardcore ravers and really shallow and lame and talk like a bunch of whiggers. This whole vibe instantly turns me off. Still one day maybe I'll put in some time and buy a few CDs.

Any album reccomendations for guy who knows nothing but D&B but loves psy?

why is that the trance is more connected to psychedelic culture, and drum & bass is more connected to black/rap culture?

344047[/snapback]

I´m no expert, but doesn´t drum´n´bass have its roots in hip hop and raggae, hence they´re more connected to black music? Thats´s the only thing that turns me off sometimes when those fucking MCs start to rap, it spoils the entire track everytime.

Any album reccomendations for guy who knows nothing but D&B but loves psy?

344511[/snapback]

I can recommend:

Black Sun Empire - Driving insane

Technical Itch - Diagnostics

Ed Rush - Wormhole

Dom & Roland - Industry and Back to the future

Teebee - Through the eyes of a scorpion

Well

For years I have been into psychedelic music and it was Psychedelic Rock, my parents listen to psychedelia, and they mentioned they were playing white rabbit as a lullaby to me...

I thought there were no other psy music except those...

Then one day a friend made me listen Hallucinogen - LSD

I can not tell you what I felt

I think its a great chance (more than that maybe) that the world of psychedelia met trance.

Trance itself causes trips without psychedelic substances. I do not go to history and all that we all know those.

When loaded with this kind a music (goa/psy) and these drugs (`cid/shrooms or alike), where we reach is uncomaparble to anything I experienced before.

I loved tripping and listenin Jimi Hendrix, but even that doesnt compare to that.

For dnb it doesnt take me that further alone and it doesnt flow for me for days, it creates the stories sharp and unconnected for me... Feels synthetic.

Another strange thing for goa/psy is a music made of unearthy sounds totally connects me to nature :o and thats most probably because of the trance unducing part...

I messed a little but you d get the idea...

I hear what you are saying el brujo, but I've heard some drum and bass (not sure which artists etc.) that has very similar layers and effects as psy just a different backbone or foundation. To me the difference is only in the overall vibe and the kind of place you can hear it. In truth, I think both can be equally trippy... I can't prove this, but I've always wondered.

So, I've always wanted to hear the D&B equivalent of Hallucinogen - LSD or AP - People Can Fly or etc......

So what is it? And where can I hear samples?

Well, There is actually a pretty big psychedelic-trance/breakbeat crossover imo, but it is mostly underground, but many Australian artists have made that kind of music... Also Blue Room has some breakbeaty releases... Check out

Nam Shub of Enkhi

Exotic Matter - Astral Attaché

Va - Gourmet Genre

Va - Freakstyle

Odd Harmonics - Coincedentalism

etc etc... :)

Gnome -> good one, I have it on my computer!

khogg -> yes I feel the same about other "musical cultures". it's a real shame, d&b could be a powerful mind tool. the same goes for metal, it can be used as very powerful psychedelic music, believe it or not! but very very few artists realize it. this is why I like this forum alot - trance may not be my favourite music but I find all of you here very open-minded.

lumpi -> hehe, I'm not much for rap either. I only have 2 d&b albums where the rap is acceptible. in other cases it completly ruins the music.

thanks everyone for listening! just needed to get this out of my system :)

I noticed drum'n bass got harder comparing to 7 years agoo and also uses more trance and psy sounds to create diversity...

what is a good thing and makes it more psychedelic then it used to be...

My only D'n'b album is drum'n'bass selection mixed by dj mono (on tape), it's got tracks by ed rush, photek, peshay. i think it's cool. When we drive in our old car we listen to it because it's got a tape player.

Check DJ TeeBee.Especially a track called "Spaceage".

344365[/snapback]

I've never been a drum and bass person, but by chance I happened to go out to see Teebee dj here in Boston last year, and I've gotta say, his music is definately worth checking out.

The dnb I probably most got into (and also find to be most psychedelic) is "intelligent drum and bass" as its sometimes called....artists such as LTJ Bukem and Big Bud....anyone who is one Good Looking Records basically...

Wouldn't it be nice if d'n'b and psy merged?

Not as a genre but as a scene. You know, many psy artists make chill or ambient. Why isn't there a possibilty to include d'n'b in a "psy-album"?

I say make them one scene! Merging is always good. Some oldschool albums have d'n'b songs and other experimentations which i like. I don't know about d'n'b but psy is starting to get a little too comfortable, almost like pop but less cheesy if you know what i mean.

How would it be if psy and ambient didn't marry back in the days?

the main difference is the crowd IMO... especially in the small scene in squat parties around the UK and whatnot. which to be hoenst is my only sampler of this music.

if it was a squat about DnB it was more about rude boys (no wait there's another name.. but can't remember) wearing their adidas and whatnot looking rough, like they're ready to nick your wallet the minute you are not looking. I didn't find it nearly as friendly... as trance parties which weren't many to be honest... so more often than not for a period we would end up chilling in the DnB room...

as for the music or the setting or anything else... well.. i really can't remember :blink:

A quality crossover between psytrance and drum & bass would be really really great, although i find some old jungle tracks and some modern tech step releases pretty psychedelic, at least on the way i understand psychedelia:

Worth checking out d'n'b classics:

Bad Company - Planet Dust

Underfire vs Negative - Bios Fear

Ram Trilogy - Mindscan

Bad Company - Four Days

Kemal & Rob Data - The Messiah

Tech Step dancefloor killarghs: :P

Crossfire - Hydra

Tee Bee - Fingerprints

Pendulum - Vault

Sta & Paul B - Step 2 Zero

V/A Spy Technologies

Enjoy

My favorites are stille Photek and Ed Rush... Although it bothers me that my only d'n'b record is on tape so i can't see what the tracks are called... But i think those great ones are photek and ed rush looking at the place on the tape etc.

(i have the tracklist)

ahhh dnb and psytrance, my two most favorite genres in electronic music, and the two most different, in almost every way imaginable. (Tho I can see some small connections between the two)

Very odd to see this topic, considering I've been recently thinking of it was possible to connect psy and dnb. I'm starting to believe it's not though, they're just so different in culture and sound. DnB, fast drumloops and powerfull basslines, psytrance, a single powerfull kick and layers of synths and fx. One is for tribal dancing, back and forth, the other is shake you body breakdance kinda thing.

DnB-roots in dub, hip hop, breakbeat...etc...

Psytrance-roots in psychedellia, spiritualism, tribal dancing

nowadays I think DnB is all about the popular big epic, hip hop, junglist vibe, just go to www.breakbeat.co.uk (dnb arena) and see wat's up. I think it's falling into the mainstream hip hop trap, but some of the tracks nowadays are incredible, filled with energy you can't find anywhere else. Listen to Pendulum-trantuala, fasten your seatbelts, the terminal to get what I mean.

Watch one of the videos of the live sets on www.breakbeat.co.uk, can you imagine psytrance mixing with this?

Well, Shift actually managed to mix some dark/industrial drum n bass/breakbeats on a song (called "push it") from his last album :)

there is a french european band of drum & bass dub with psy influences, that i like a lot, called "X-MAKEENA". but it's underground, so you won't find any mp3 of them on the net, except on their site:www.xmakeena.com

once you entered the main page, go to the "son" section (the site is made in a weird mix of french/english, some of the links are in french, others are in english...)

then you have 3 songs that you can listen to... to me, the best of the 3 is "xperts"