Styles of Psytrance

Aeros

I vaguelly know the main styles of psytrance, progessive, full-on, morning, etc but I'm still not quite sure exactly what they are or why they are defined that.

Is there a guide somewhere or can someone put up a list of all the styles of Psytrance and explain them/their origin? Samples would be a big help (link them legally off www.psyshop.com)

...If this question has been asked before (not surprising since this is a PSYTRANCE forum, hehe), please link me to the previous thread on it... sorry for the repeat if thats the case. :)

hey man, dont worry about asking repeated things.... we´re no isratrance :P

anyway, Im very tired now and going to sleep, so I post smt tomorrow..

darkpsy ,suomisaundi, psytrance , progressive,tribal, minimal, goatrance ,nitzonot = good

full on / powertrance =bad

:P

Saunatrance

Guest eleria

If I only had a memory I could show you the brilliant piece of work some dude has done. I know lots of you guys have seen it before.

It is the one with the billion samples..

Take care..

245324[/snapback]

I guess you are thinking of Ishkur's Guide to Electronic Music.

It doesn't go much into different styles of psy, but explains in a comprehensable way the different styles of electronic music (including Goa, Psy, Progressive) and how they are related and provides lot's of samples.

Might not be exactly what you are looking for Synogen, but is worth a look.

:)

if you ask me all full-on, minimal, progressive, night, morning, midday, dark, light, etc can be psytrance. But that requires that it actually sounds psychedelic.. I haven't heard aa single psychedelic full on track for example since umm Tikal's album I guess..

But imo Twisted is a perfect example of a label that produces psytrance and psytrance only :D

Might not be exactly what you are looking for Synogen, but is worth a look.

Seen it and I know it well, thanks though Eleria :)

I dunno, it just seems to be obscure that some things are psytrance and others are net yet they stem off it or are influenced by it in some way. Perhaps the definition of psytrance is what you yourself think is psytrance...whatever works for you to put you in a psychedelic trance state... I think thats how it was in the beginning, but all these new branches just seem obscure when few know exactly how to define them.

..., but all these new branches just seem obscure when few know exactly how to define them.

245744[/snapback]

this is because, you can define styles only in retrospective. people who are making music aren't thinking: "ok, let's make another style of (psy-)music." they just make their music, and eventually other people get influenced by this.

so, the styles are in a constant flux, and there is no clear borderline between them.

"when few know exactly how to define them"

Quite the opposite actually. Everyone seems to have their own definition. Hence the problem of finding a single definition. What you have to realize is that everyone uses the same terms in slightly different ways depending on their taste, but there is often a common theme.

This question of what is what comes up often, and I suspect it usually comes from a person who heard a song or album they like and want to know more (i.e. they are not a psytrance fanatic).

My suggestion is this: instead post what you like and ask for further suggestions. Also read reviews of what you like and you will see comparisons to other albums. Also read posts about what is "good" or "not good" and what a new release is like. Over time you will build up a catalogue of artists, different "styles," and the way they are described by different people. This is the only way.

My opinion: there are no fixed styles. Some artists today are just copy cats, but most are influenced by various artists/releases that have come before. Therefore, you can have a progressive release with full on elements. You can have dark night trance with full on elements. You can have brand new releases that sound like pure oldschool goa (rare), and so on... in the end who cares... listen to what you like. It doesn't matter if it's "morning trance" or "full on" or "goa" or "psy." Just words...

this is because, you can define styles only in retrospective. people who are making music aren't thinking: "ok, let's make another style of (psy-)music." they just make their music, and eventually other people get influenced by this.

so, the styles are in a constant flux, and there is no clear borderline between them.

245841[/snapback]

This is very true. So many styles/genres are similar. Often times everyone has a slightly different idea of a certain genre, which is why i tend to completely ignore genres. People get way too specific with genres of music. I just listen to music and hope i like it. I really don't pay attention to what the exact genre is.

There are so many artists out there that are completely unique, and trying to group them into a category just doesn't work.

this ishkur´s guide sucks imo