02. Modern Movement (07:05)

03. Myth of an Angel (08:44)

04. Thunder-Blade (07:35)

05. X-Istanz (08:50)

06. Trapped in a Hypercube (07:40)

07. Consciousness (07:16)

08. Clock next Door (07:37)

09. Irrational Impulses (09:39)

I fell in love with Tegma right after listening to their live set from Malmo, Sweden. It must be still available for a download from their web-site. It had some tracks from their first album (Encoded/Decoded (2002)) as well as some new tracks, now some of these tracks are released on the new album. If you liked their live set, you are going to like this album.

I can't say that the music of Tegma is progressive because I can't compare it to any other artist and I don't know about anything similar. The sound is more technish, but more smooth and not that agressive. Avarage BPM count is ~137 with last track 125 BPM.

Unfortunately, my english is not very good, so I can't express my feelings and emotions and describe their music, but I'm sure this album is unique and is worth a listen.

As for giving marks, I'd give it 7/10, but giving marks from experienced reviewers would be better, so I'm waiting for your replies.

Tegma Website

Tegma @ Saiko Sounds

Tegma @ PsyShop

Thx for the reviews , more please :)

For the cover there is a problem. There was supposed to be a white slipcase surrounding the cd case, but somehow the printing guys forgot it. So that black cover was not meant to be the main cover, oh well hope u will like the music:)

Well I really loved Encoded/Decoded, it was one of my fav albums at the time, but this one seems too much full on for me, and the synth lines seem very obvious and in your face. I would have expected more subtlety from someone with Tegmas background. However I have only listened to it once, I gotaa give it some more listens to make a fair review, because Tegma is a great artist and im sure theres more to it than meets the eye.

To be fair since Enc/Dec my music taste went a lot housier and proggier, im sure a Homer and Lazon album would be a lot more up my alley.

Tegma – 002 : Avant.Garde

Label : Candyflip

Year : 2005

Cover: http://212.227.206.198/cgi-bin/zoom.cgi?cf...fr1cd014.html:;

Tracklisting:

01. Eternal Sleep 8:39

02. Modern Movement 7:06

03. Myth of an Angel 8:46

04. Thunderblade 7:37

05. X-Istanz 8:52

06. Trapped in a Hypercube 7:41

07. Conscious Minds 7:18

08. Clock Next Door 7:38

09. Irrational Impulses 9:39

Review:

Well, I loved Encoded/Decoded and am a fan of Tegma’s since X-Calibur. After many years of anticipation, their second album is finally out. It is taken in a different direction than what we are used to, and being a hardcore proggy lover, I was at first surprised at the increased bpm here. However, it is not simply a step sideways from what we are used to, it is also a step forward. So, with an open mind (as much as that is possible), I will give this album a thorough listen after several not-so-thorough ones.

I do not write music so I will not give a track-by-track technical description. But I will describe what each track does to me.

1. Eternal Sleep [136 BPM]

Starts out relatively mellow with a nice long atmospheric intro reminiscent of a foggy spring morning in a meadow with plenty of birds and flowers around. About two minutes in, a vocal sample ushers in a more technological twist and a steadier beat. There is also a pretty uplifting melody suggestive (but only suggestive) of old school. An electroish beat at 5 minutes is covered in layers of psychedelic effects. A very nice highly enjoyable progressive introductory piece that while not being groundbreaking per se, would be very welcome outdoors in the morning with its combination of sounds from different genres. (Sort of makes me think of a faster trancier version of Transmission in Vain).

2. Modern Movement [138 BPM]

A groovier and faster track than the first one that starts out with a sample by what sounds to be the same man is in the first track. Takes a little while to get warmed up as well. Once it does, the shift from earlier Tegma is apparent towards more Candyflip-like territory. While the sounds are less like what you would hear in a “progressive” tune, the structure is very progressive, letting the track take its time to evolve. A nice blend of psychedelic layers put together rather interestingly. Since I do not understand what the guy is saying, it becomes sort of redundant for me. However, the break at 4:20 could have been drawn out a bit more as far as I am concerned. All in all, a very skillfully put track that somehow does not do it for me.

3. Myth of an Angel [140 BPM]

Starts out sounding somewhat similar to Son Kite’s later work. Very nice percussion work before the rolling bassline sets in. At 1:30 it goes away further from that progressive recipe of fullon sounds, and becomes less focused. I like being unfocused. Very very reminiscent of goa-type sounds that in the words of a dear friend “rip your roof (krysha) off”. By 4:30 becomes all-out booty-shaking music taking me out of days-long slumber. I believe this would rip the dance floor apart in the early morning. Also contains a very developed and long aquatic outro.

4. Thunderblade [140 BPM]

Another science fiction sample kicks this one off. And the kicking off is done without as much preparation as in the previous pieces. Sounds as though there was a dying engine that finally takes off after some sputtering. Very hypnotic and repetitive beat until 2:15 where the rocket is put into a higher gear. Sounds like a fullon reworking of a Suncontrolspecies track. Unfortunately, the bassline at 4:00 does not get me off at home; but I do remember it (or a very similar one) doing magic on the dance floor. Nice piece but not as interesting as the previous one in my opinion.

5. X-Istanz [142 BPM]

I guess it is a tribute to Cronenberg’s movie Existenz. I hope the track goes beyond the movie that I found very forgettable despite the talented director. From the time the beat kicks in, it sounds like a soundtrack to a cartoon where the superhero is running from some monster. At 1:40, the monster starts spewing fire from its mouth and using other dirty tricks throughout the track seeing that it cannot catch up. Just like superheroes, not my cup of tea, even if I can tell that it is very well produced and should thrill any Radioactive Man fan out there. I do find the female vocals to be highly highly enjoyable despite their context. I could probably lose it on the dance floor to this one, but don’t fancy myself listening to it at home often.

6. Trapped in a Hypercube [140 BPM]

Starts off pretty techish with some industrial sounds that evolve into a steady beat. This is one of the night tracks on this album. Fits very well into the middle of the album. I find this one extremely interesting. The only slight let down is the over-use of vocal samples (I prefer my music to be almost word-free unless it is a song). Other than that, originality abounds here. Thumbs up.

7. Conscious Minds [142 BPM]

This one wastes no time before turning hard as f*%k. Another extremely hypnotic (and even minimal) tune. The title is probably supposed to be ironic as the beginning makes me think precisely of unconscious minds. :lol: A melody finally finds its way into the track after 3 minutes. Once again, a roof-pulling-off piece. Pure mad psychedelia. Two more thumbs up.

8. Clock Next Door [138 BPM]

Fucking trippy sample at the beginning, that guy’s voice fits in very well into the overall project of the obscurely narrow corridor. Very nice overall structure with maybe just one layer too many. One of the trippiest and darkest pieces on the album so far worthy of the best Baluns compilations. 4:40, fuck yeah!! The light shines through in rays that multiply as the track goes on not taking away from the beautifully somber ambiance at all. Clearly, one of the favorites here.

9. Irrational Impulses [138 BPM]

Could this be a downbeat piece to close the album? Might be what with the instrumental beginning. However, as soon as 20 seconds in, we can easily tell that it will explode into another progressive melodic morning track to dig to. The melody washes over you wave after wave after wave. Very skillfully put together; it is apparent that the limits of Tegma’s talents will not be usurped any time soon. Irrational impulses got me dancing maniacally once again. A beautiful ending to an exciting album from this Swedish duo.

If you like the recent shift back towards melodies (a la 12 Moons), get this. If you like it techy, hypnotic, and at the same extremely twisted, get it too (even though there will be a bit less for you here than the first contingent). Basically, Tegma have refused to be sucked into the housier realms of progressive that we have seen lately (and that I love, mind you), and have taken their earlier techniques and have revamped it with melody and good feeling. Despite a few weaker moments (and the over-use of samples over which I have already expressed my concern), this gets somewhere between a solid 8 and a superb 8.5 depending on the mood that I am in. It should be noted that I really do not like rating music, but find it very helpful myself when reading others’ reviews in deciding a purchase.

Favorites: 1, 3(!), 6, 7, 8(!), and 9(!)

Do not resist you rational impulse and get this now.

For the cover there is a problem. There was supposed to be a white slipcase surrounding the cd case, but somehow the printing guys forgot it. So that black cover was not meant to be the main cover, oh well hope u will like the music:)

227328[/snapback]

Not too bad that they forgot the slipcase. Pretty, yes. Annoying, also. But I will not get into the old slipcase discussion.

227328[/snapback]

You could mail them to us? :rolleyes:

"Un escalier de fer...un couloir étroit et obscur...au fond de ce couloir une porte entrouverte d'où nous parviennent les accords d'une musique, qui en ce lieu parait irréelle !"

Rhaaaa, it's the 99th time i'm listening to this album since i got it 10 days ago.

I can't stop....this album is a masterpiece !

Look, i'm just back from skiing holidays, i tried several things to atempt to trip on the mountains. some albums were too flat, others too strong for the white valley, but THIS album just fitted, like it was born from it. It gave me amazing sensations !

Good work guys, i hope to see you in some party soon :)

THIS ALBUM ABSOLUTELY ROCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Its somewhere between progressive and morning full on and its absolutely bloody marvellous!! Instant highlights for me are 3, 5 and 7 but thats probably because of the melody hook. Other tracks are real growers and more subtle. I love the way that the album builds without sounding disjointed - similarly there is theme running through it but the sound never gets monotonous. The production is tip top - smooth clean sounds and fantastic layered melodies. This is the CD of the year so far (by a long way)

Nothing extraordinary or amazing about it, but an enjoyable CD nevertheless. Some people might prefer busier tracks.

This CD is interesting to listen and fun to dance.

I recommend it.

Pedro

Nice new album from tegma! B) Great new melodies and rolling sound!!

The speak on track two: "Das hochste Gluck auf Erden kommt Sehr oft nur durch Einsamkeit in das Herz".. This is familiar. I think this is the same sample Schiller used on his track called "Ruhe". One of my favourites :P I just had to say that cause i recognised that speak immediatly and i think it do not fit on that track. Translation of it is:"Silence is the greatest joy on Earth Very often comes into heart only because of loneliness". I think this fits more better on chill track like ruhe.. But okay, album is very good sounding and i liked it! :)

i found this album quite boring and cheesy.

but i do love 'myth of an angel' ;)

i really miss the old darker and more proggy

tegma. but i guess this is the way everyone

is going nowadays.

i really miss the old darker and more proggy

tegma. but i guess this is the way everyone

is going nowadays.

237061[/snapback]

Just wait for the new sensient album. If you like it dark and proggy, you will not be disappointed.

Just wait for the new sensient album. If you like it dark and proggy, you will not be disappointed.

237473[/snapback]

yep, sensient rocks big time. 'blue neevus' is a great

album... but my all-time favourite sensient tune must

be 'suspended animation' from psyolympics.

well, back to tegma... my absolute favourites from

tegma are 'werewolf', 'tribe of akabar', 'zoun-glua',

'quel cimti'ere' and 'satanic wars'.

i just love old and dark tegma :ph34r:

• 2 weeks later...

!!Hint!!

For those who like the old Tegma sound, u might be pleased with the fact that the next album will be in this direction, perhaps even a follow up to Satanic Wars :lol:

More reviews please!!!

!!Hint!!

For those who like the old Tegma sound, u might be pleased with the fact that the next album will be in this direction, perhaps even a follow up to Satanic Wars  :lol:

More reviews please!!!

241729[/snapback]

:D:D:D:D:D

Tegma – 002: Avant.Garde

Posted Image

High-res cover: front + back

Artist: Tegma (Sweden)

Title: 002: Avant.Garde

Format: CD (jewel case)

Label: Candyflip (Greece)

Cat. #: CFR CD14

Distribution: Arabesque

Date: March 2005

Track listing:

01. 08’37” Eternal Sleep

02. 07’04” Modern Movement

03. 08’44” Myth of an Angel

04. 07’35” Thunder-Blade

05. 08’49” X-Instanz

06. 07’39” Trapped in a Hypercube

07. 07’16” Consciousness

08. 07’36” Clock next Door

09. 09’38” Irrational Impulses

.m3u-playlist: http://tinyurl.com/5bvu2 (all tracks)

Review:

Crossbred trance…

Omar Chelly and Jason Orfanidis from Malmø, Sweden are better known as the progressive trance act Tegma… They’ve also released music as Homer & Lazon, but Tegma is their main project… As opposed to most people I never really got into their debut album Encoded/Decoded released in 2002 on Digital Structures… It was an ok album, but it never really grabbed me – but on the plus-side, I’ve thoroughly enjoyed some of their compilation tracks… This is their second album, released on visionary Greek label Candyflip and the reviews so far have been good… Let’s find out what the fuzz is all about…

Let me take you thru the tracks…

#01: Eternal Sleep [136 BPM]

This first track is unusual in the way it was created – as the guys started with the transposing melody and the pads – instead of the drum/percussion session they usually start with… This is a very groovy track – a hybrid between phat progressive deepness and uplifting morning bliss… Yummy! Kinda organic and absolutely soaked in deeply funky rhythm sections… The low BPM count adds to the overall groove… Extremely tasty track!

#02: Modern Movement [138 BPM]

“Das hochste Gluck auf Erden kommt Sehr oft nur durch Einsamkeit in das Herz” This track starts out with more undecipherable French mutterings before we’re off to Electroland… And later on we get the familiar German Schiller quote “silence is the greatest joy on earth… it often comes into the heart due only to loneliness“… This track is also a hybrid track… This time it’s an electro/proggy/morning hybrid – and again the combo really works wonders… Could easily be a cross between the experimental sides of 12 Moons and Atmos… Sweet track indeed!

#03: Myth of an Angel [140 BPM]

"Did you ever notice how in the bible whenever God needed to punish someone, or make an example, or whenever God needed a killing, he sent an angel? Did you ever wonder what a creature like that must be like? A whole existence praising your God, but one wing always dipped in blood. Would you ever really want to see an angel?" This was put together by an old loop and parts of an even older track – and damn, I’m glad they did that! This is another hybrid track between proggy and morning territory… The bassline is ultra-smooth and cynical, and the flaring acid-melodies just tear you apart… The female vocals are a bit over the top, but they do not destroy the track at all… The last four minutes are pure melodic mayhem… Brilliant!

#04: Thunder-Blade [140 BPM]

“You see, we’re on a mission from God!” Thunder Blade Blues Brothers? This is yet another hybrid track, and this time it’s some kind of electro/full-on combo with housy hints… The melodies are running thick here, but somehow they don’t really scratch my itch the way the previous three tracks did… Good, but not awesome!

#05: X-Instanz [142 BPM]

“Life exists…”Ahh, this is more like it… After a short, subtle intro we’re treated to an ultra-smooth bassline soaked in pointy, digital bleeps and blobs… It sounds very mechanical and kinda cold – but in a damn good way… I really like the drive here, and the rippling psychedelia mixes perfectly with the proggy-slash-melodic undertones… A true Tegma hybrid! Great use of choir and stereo FX too… Nice track!

#06: Trapped in a Hypercube [140 BPM]

Auch – imagine being trapped inside a hypercube… Or any kinda cube for that matter! The intro is raw and kinda brutal – and the bassline is kicking harder than the previous tracks… Sounds like teKkno at first, but soon the track transcends into a more subtle, bouncing night-stormer - reminiscent of the older Tegma style… And this is also supported by the fact this track was produced back in 2003… I like the spooky break and the climax that comes after it… Very danceable! Darkish cyber-trance drenched in warm, fuzzy psychedelia… Bounce motherfuckers! Sweet track!

#07: Consciousness [142 BPM]

“The practice of morality, which means guarding your three doors of body, speech, and mind, equips you with mindfulness and conscientiousness. The mind interferes. It is possible and necessary to master it!” We stay in the same path for the next track that has an even meaner bassline… Definitely a night track with a fast, repetitive bassline and a hectic feel to it… Alongside the minimal percussion side, there’s subtle use of acid farts and electronic burps – and there’s even a break with synth-action and a beautiful climax after it… Another very sweet track!

#08: Clock next Door [138 BPM]

"Un escalier de fer...un couloir étroit et obscur...au fond de ce couloir une porte entrouverte d'où nous parviennent les accords d'une musique, qui en ce lieu parait irréelle!" Right, my French is very rusty, but the dude in the intro talks about going up an iron staircase – down an obscure and narrow corridor – finding a half-opened door from which music emerges! … Something along those lines at least… This is progressive trance with rich psychedelic influences... The overall mood is dark and eerie, and you constantly feel like looking over your shoulder… Something haunts you? The bridge has the most joyous, uplifting melodies that strike a remarkable contrast to the darkish mood – beautifully embodying Tegma’s trademark hybrid sound! Nice track!

#09: Irrational Impulses [138 BPM]

If it weren’t for the BPM count printed on the cover the intro would leave you thinking this was a chilled track to finish things off – but the apparent ethno-ambient intro soon transforms into a phat proggy choon… With freq’esque reverb-FX and an overall groovy atmosphere... Again Tegma uses all kinds of elements and mixes genres - creating a very diverse, broad track… Great way to finish the album…

Hats off to Candyflip for being such a visionary label with such a diverse spectre of styles on their release schedule… Diversity rules! This is a great album – honestly I like it much better than their first album, but after this positive surprise I might have to dust of the old one again…

I am really impressed with Tegma’s very unique style – they successfully manage to create hybrid tracks, using the best elements from many different styles – in particular progressive trance, house and melodic full-on… But they also incorporate elements from more techy realms into their distinct tunes… Very well done guys – this is one hell of an album!

The cover art is cool too (despite the missing slipcase) and the booklet is full of interesting stuff about Tegma and the creation of each track… I really like when labels go that extra mile and include a useful booklet… Sweet! All in all, this album is brilliant – and definitely deserves a purchase by any fan of diverse electronic music… Enjoy!

Favourites: 1(!!), 2(!), 3(!!), 6, 7

DeathPosture

Posted Image

External links:

Tegma: http://www.tegmatekk.com

Candyflip: http://www.candyflip-records.com

Psyshop: http://tinyurl.com/62m89

Saiko Sounds: http://tinyurl.com/4otuo

Juno Records: http://tinyurl.com/3soyn

Chaos Unlimited: http://tinyurl.com/6ozdz

Wakyo: http://tinyurl.com/5schh

Wirikuta: http://tinyurl.com/69vwy