Pleiadians' Explorer in the making !

Jeff

"Q : What concept is behind your other project, PLEIADIANS? What are the

differences between PLEIADIANS and ETNICA?

A : The main difference is in the sounds we use, if you listen to the past two "pleiadians"

albums the focus is more on the analogsynth riff-melody and the sunrise-morning

kind of vibe.

But if you want to judge for yourself, wait until 2005, the third pleiadians alb."EXPLORER" is already in the making."

Just to let you know. I know lots lost their interest in this third opus after its permanent postponing for the past 3 years or so...

J.

It's true they were... but I'm highly sceptical about the new album being any good.

202569[/snapback]

Me too. The melody men in Etnica / Pleiadians were Carlo Paterno and Andrea Rizzo. Both have left the band, and you can tell:

1995-1998: four members (the above plus Max Lanfranconi and Maurizio Begotti)

While Carlo isn't credited in the liner notes for Family Of Light (if memory serves me correctly), he was involved in at least some of the tracks. He is credited on the Headspin EP, for example.

But this is when he left (sometime during 1998 or possibly even late '97), and this was the first deadly blow to Etnica / Pleiadians.

1999: Family Of Light is released. While considered a very good album by most (including me) and having slightly fatter production than its predecessor, musically it is generally considered lacking, in comparison with I.F.O... It's my belief that this is, at least in part, due to the absence of Carlo Paternos melodic genious in some of the tracks.

This is also the year the Etnica album Equator is released. Carlo didn't participate in any of the tracks here as far as I know, and while having a few quite OK tracks, it's nowhere near Alien Protein or other previous Etnica releases.

2000-2004: Somewhere after Equator, Andrea leaves the band. I'm not at home so I can't check my records to see exactly when this is, but with Nitrox Etnica takes another few steps down from the throne of melodic psychedelia. Now Andrea has left too, and there is nothing left in this band for me. I never bought Nitrox.

At no point since they became a two-man act have Etnica / Pleiadians been close to revoking the magic vibes and musical genious of the early years. Song structures and arrangements became far less complex, the sounds lost their unique touch, melodies have been mediocre if they could be found at all. Sure, there have been a few tracks worth a listen, but in perspective, it's a sad development.

Also, Pleiadians was Carlo Paterno's project initially; He made the first Pleiadians track all by himself, the self-titled "Pleiadians" (or so I'm told) released on Symbiosis in 1995. Apparantly he wasn't too happy to see the others continue under this name after his departure.

You don't listen to I.F.O. or any other old Pleiadians stuff for the percussion or stuff like that. You listen because of the mesmerizing, trance-inducing, multi-layered kaleidoscopic explosions of sound and melody, the sense of journey created by those amazing arrangements, melodies and scales. That stuff is, in my humble opinion, unequalled in the history of music.

Now whatever may come out of a new Pleiadians album, I have a very very hard time imagining that it can be good in the ways that old Pleiadians music was good. I don't need a clone of I.F.O, I don't demand another Headspin, but the essence of Pleiadians, both musically and in terms of its effect on my mind and others, seems out of reach by Max and Maurizio. It could be that they're not striving for that, but if so I have absolutely no idea what they're trying to do or why. It's my opinion that they would be better off doing something else or sticking with the Etnica name that they have already degraded in the eyes of myself and of many others that were fans from back in 1995.

Looking at the track record of the two-man constellation of Etnica, I just don't think they have it in them. Listen to their releases on Spirit Zone for example, or the sad abomination that is "Starship 202" - do you seriously think that the people who made that can produce an album worthy of the Pleiadians name? Either they've lost their magic somewhere along the road, or, more likely, that magic left with the departure of the prodigous Carlo Paterno and Andrea Rizzo.

This ended up being much longer than I had planned, but I feel very strongly about this topic - old Etnica and Pleiadians tunes have had an enormous impact on me and my taste in music - It would make me very sad to see the second of those names get dragged in the dirt just like the first.

Wasn't there something about an earlier third Pleiadians album (with a release party and all) that never came out? Is this the same album?

@ukiro: WOW. Well put... my thoughts EXACTLY. There has been nothing for me in the Pleiadians/Etnica music since the departure of Carlo, apart from 3 tracks on FOL (which he might have participated in anyway).

@Tatsu: Yep... from what I know there was more than one release party.

All in all, the new Etnica album called Sharp has its official release in a few days... no doubt once it's out they will focus on the new Pleiadians album, like they said.

Wasn't there something about an earlier third Pleiadians album (with a release party and all) that never came out? Is this the same album?

202582[/snapback]

This album has been said to be "released very soon" for more than 3 years now, so I guess it's quite possible that it was the same album.

Or maybe you are refering to "Tetrahedron", the Crop Circles (Pleiadians + Lotus Omega) album who should have come out in 1998 on Auracle Records ?

J.

No I'm talking about the Pleiadian album you mean. But that Crop Circles album also sounds very intersting. Any chance it will ever be releaed (don't think so but I just have to ask)? And why it wasn't released when we even know the label name that would (should) publish it?

If it really is that three year old album, I guess it will be good. I remember Anoubis wrote here about the release party and how good the music was and all. But well, I just believe it when I see it at a record store...

why it wasn't released when we even know the label name that would (should) publish it?

As far as I know, the label went bankrupt shortly before the album's release. But we have some Etnica's hotshots on this forum, they could probably give you more details.

J.

Hey Ukiro, I agree with you 100 %. I am so sorry Etnica/Pleiadians lost their magic touch, they were certainly making the most layered, melodic goa trance and now they are just experimenting with prog sounds and few malodies. But wasn't Maurizio Begotti also made some melodies, like I've heard he done Astral Way entirely by himself which was GREAT song. Do you know who made Time Dilation, Sonic System, Chemical Trance, Fractal Gates, Blinded Moon, Analogue Step, etc. I always wanted to know who made those perfect trax. Considering new album, I am also not so optimistic cause I've heard them live few months ago and Etnica songs were again average but when they started Pleiadians live act there were few interesting ones, but still not the old sound. I don't know what should I hope.

I personally found "Family of Light" better than "IFO", and I think "IFO" does sound quite dated today. I consider "Family of Light" one of the best psytrance albums released before the millennium, and tracks like "Modulation", "Meter" and "Headspin" are still fresh, and will surely rock any dance floor.

To me, their both albums are pure perfection. I don't even like comapring 2 great albums. To me, great albums are just that, it is silly to compare...I actually like just about everything these guys made until Nitrox and Chrome. Their singles as Etnica : Acid Shell, Astral Way, Fractal Gates, Tribute, Vimana, Merkaba, Chemical Trance, Floating Universe ( one of the best Etnica songs ever ), Blinded Moon, Intense Visitation, Rotating Fields are among my favourite psy songs in any case. Same for Pleiadians singles : Time Dilation, Jungle Trax, Sonic System, Analogue Step, Full Mental Jackpot ( Pleiadians Rmx ), Blue Planet Corporation - Antidote ( Pleiadians Rmx ) are all great singles. They made heaps of great songs and I consider them as true masters in trance genre in general. They contributed so much to the scene making trance states more accessible and generic. The biggest loss was departure of Carlo Patterno and Andrea Rizzo. But what a heck, they still made enough for our senses to be satisfied.

You don't listen to I.F.O. or any other old Pleiadians stuff for the percussion or stuff like that. You listen because of the mesmerizing, trance-inducing, multi-layered kaleidoscopic explosions of sound and melody, the sense of journey created by those amazing arrangements, melodies and scales. That stuff is, in my humble opinion, unequalled in the history of music.

that magic left with the departure of the prodigous Carlo Paterno and Andrea Rizzo.

202575[/snapback]

Wow! Good topic!

And nice post Ukiro! I strongly agree with virtually everything you've said. You seem very passionate about this music, as well as informed about Pleiadians. I thought that the third album was cancelled years back. Its been nothing but speculation over the years... I agree with you that I.F.O. is unmatched. I mean, nothing can replace it, and 99.9% of all goatrance albums to date have never been as detailed, labyrinthine, and intricate as this. [i.F.O.] is AWESOME, and while Family of Light had one amazing track called HEADSPIN... The problem was that overall, there was only one truly amazing track (according to most people) and the album just wasn't up to par with the perfect, abstract, melodic style its predecessor, but it was still a classic. I mean, they just don't make music like this anymore. Regardless, I.F.O. is without a doubt on the top 10 geatest goatrance albums of all time, and it may very well have tracks with the most layers. This album sets a benchmark in music history.

Similar questions about Pleiadians pop up every once in a while... rumors or tentative news of a third Pleiadians album. And I DON'T want to see a bad or okay album because it will hurt the name! I would rather NOT see a third album, unless it somehow was amazing. Unless it brought justice to the other two main albums, which is so rare I don't see it happening, but yet anythings possible! People are getting excited of a new Pleiadians album but most people don't realize that the group has split up. This greatly effects the style and overall creation. I own both I.F.O. and Family of Light and I KNOW THAT THESE ALBUMS ARE MASTERPIECES!!! I don't want to see them go down like the Etnica albums over the years.

Why don't they bring back Carlo Paterno and Andrea Rizzo??? Whats so not possible with that? Has anyone contacted these artists, even if they're on to different projects or careers in their life? This third album and the name of Pleiadians is riding on so much! It sounds scary, the idea that things could go wrong. I think the four of them should come together again if they did indeed separate... and lay down the most amazing album ever!!!!

The truth is that it is possible. The sad thing is that dreams this great usually seldom happen. :(

I'd rather let the two classics stay in glory than take away its luster with an inferior, disappointing follow-up. This 3rd album would have to be such, that well, I think the only way is to bring back the magic that made the first one such a classic or not bring it out at all. Just look what they did with the sequel to the film, The Crow and Terminator 3?!! These follow-ups seriously damaged the coolness and impression of the original classics. In retrospect I wish they were never made and I don't want to feel the same way about Pleiadians. People will judge this third album and compare it with the others! In a sense, I hope they have some master-plan to reinvent goa/psy trance or something flat-out grandbreaking, or this EXPLORER shouldn't come out under the name of Pleiadians! Think about what Astral Projections TEN has done! Those crappy remixes hasn't enhanced AP one bit. I would have rather it never was released, and unless there is something to surprise us all, I fear that this could be the case with Pleiadians unless they re-group and only if they all still have the magic or the remaining creaters have had an epiphiny or saw the light or something! Putting out something just "good" or "cool" or "different" isn't good enough. If its not amazing, TRULY AMAZING, they shouldn't use the name of Pleiadians to bring them attention. Maybe I'm being harsh, but I hope if there is a third release I pray these guys know what they're doing.

Lastly,

I noticed that as recent as September of 2004, Pleiadians released a track on this comp. Is this a new song or a Etnica Remix??? Either way, I find it rather average, nothing impressive at all. I saw it here on this track list at psyshop...

http://www.psyshop.com/shop/CDs/alc/alc1cd012.html

i totally agree with ukiro and jon cocco.pleiadians is really music for the brain,the body and the soul.i listen to lots kinds of music like jazz,prog rock and classical bue the effect pleiadians have on me,no other music has.tracks like maia,electra,alcyone,modulation,meter and headspin make me feel awe everytime i listen to them.i just can't possibly think how the hell people could make so intensive,high layered and,mostly,so varied music.pleiadians are true geniuses if u consider that making organic sounding music via software is very very hard and pleiadians are really organic.master-blasting music and i must say that pleiadians are on the first or second place of the pantheon of music generally.i really get very sentimental when talking about these situations.i can't believe that the most legendary groups of this music have just vanished so quickly despite of the great feedback they had.i mean green nuns of the revolution,transwave,pleiadians,hallucinogen.if someone of the crew of pleiadians is reading please come together all the bombers of the galaxy and offer us some piece of music that we are so desperately seeking nowadays and further in our lives.u make music that moves both the mind and the body in an extravagant way.just reunite and continue the legend of the pleiades.keep the spirit of true psychedelic music alive.

p.s as the engineer of the matrix said hope is such a disgusting construction of the mind sometimes.i hope...:)

Don't you exaggrigate abit? I defintately think Etnica has developed with Pride.

I like all their albums from the first to the last. Definately not "dragging the name into the dirt".

But I really hope they will make Pleiadians their melodic project. Would be great!

photonic part 1 that is released on Etnica - Sharp was i believe originally a pleidians track? well thats the impression i got..

for this track is absolutely stunning with full of magic and emotions!!

U can't compare this one to the Part 2 .. it's the first part song that is stunning,

blending new influences with old driving melodic goa feeling!

if the new pleiadians album will feature tracks like photonic (pt.1) and alcyone(rmx) i will indeed look forward for a 3rd album!

since 2 men are down they only have 50 % left.. and producing something so fresh and psychedelic as photonic is at least impressive for me!! love this track!

it even has old school kick ^_^

i hope it is a preview of a new sound and era that the new pleiadian album Explorer will discover!!

if they make a chrome out of 3rd album i will be greatly dissapointed and never again listen to etnica projects!

Pleidians are (? who exactly? Max for sure.. alone or..??) playing december 25th in Belgium.. (CRAP what am i doing on the other side of the ocean!!! You guys got all the good stuff!!!!!)..

here's the line-up:

ETNICA (Etnica.net/ Italy) LIVE

PLEIADIANS (Etnica.net/ Italy) LIVE

DJs

Max Lanfranconi (Etnica.net/ Italy)

Shaktycat & Satyr (Ozmali rec & Pixan rec - Ita/NL)

Moushka

(UTC / Amon Horus - Belgium)

Psyonic (Six-O-Four productions - Belgium)

Jharu (Lani / Kairoo rec - Belgium)

Chill-out: tba

It looks like it's gonna be held at the Stuurboord (http://www.stuurboord.com/)

I don't know who's the promoter.. his e-mail is: Horustrance@hotmail.com

I've seen that on: www.tranceculture.com

I'd really like to go there !! Belgium people don't miss that !!

i can't believe that the most legendary groups of this music have just vanished so quickly despite of the great feedback they had.i mean green nuns of the revolution,transwave,pleiadians,hallucinogen.

202819[/snapback]

Hallucinogen hasn't gone anywhere. He's making a new album. TWO new albums.

Hallucinogen hasn't gone anywhere. He's making a new album. TWO new albums.

205354[/snapback]

His last one was released in 1997, SEVEN YEARS AGO. I think that qualifies for disappearing, no matter what he claims to be doing (remember that live album that never saw the light of day?). I know he's released the odd track here and there since, but still - it's been a long time, 7 years in this scene is an eternity.