Curious, is there some NEW stuff (after 2010 or so) which....

Multi-Media

On 6/14/2020 at 9:16 PM, Multi-Media said:

...sounds like X-Dream (2nd album + track "children of") or MFG (3rd / 4th albums) ?

Circling back to the original question, I'd like to take a stab at it. Modern comparisons to X-Dream's second album are difficult because most new school Goa trance emphasizes Pleiadian maximalism or Dimension 5's emphasis on whirling cosmic melodies. X-Dream circa 1996 is distinguished by a much cleaner sound palette, sunny melodies (with an occasional hint of something sinister), and those warm, bubbling bass lines that everyone loves so much. I rifled through my collection and didn't find too much along these lines... but two albums jumped out at me: Robert Elster's Still Breathing and Solid Snake's Return to the Source, both released in 2016. Yes, they're both on the progressive psytrance tip, both are slower, but the vibe feels right, and those bass lines are certainly on point.

As for MFG, that feels a little easier, since Radical Distortion exists (check Asinar for a representative example of their imitation MFG sound). Maybe Artifact303's Back to Space would also qualify. My gut sense is that there's a fair amount of darker new school Goa trance roughly in this dimension (but I don't really listen to enough of it to know).

Finally, some potentially overlooked classics at least somewhat related to either X-Dream circa 1996 or MFG circa 1999: Morphem's Out of Focus, Noosphere's Radiated, California Sunshine's Flying Eye Land, Menis' Temporary Insanity, Passenger's For All Man Kind, and The Auranaut's People Want to Be Needed (certain tracks anyway).

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Multi-Media said:

Ok, here their Discogs: https://www.discogs.com/artist/40195-Future-Prophecy
They have quite a lot of stuff, which would be the 2 you recommend?

Shadows is the album I was thinking of. I'm not sure it's really all that good, but it is certainly a faithful imitation of WCOOH, and even includes a remix of Freak. Worth a listen if you're seeking more of that particular sound, but don't set your expectations too high.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Basilisk said:

You're probably thinking about Future Prophecy, which was pretty much an X-Dream cover band [edit] around when they released Shadows. Plenty of Israeli projects around the turn of the millennium took a lot of inspiration from X-Dream; I'd say Cosma was the best of the lot (in that he learned from X-Dream and created his own unique sound), but there are plenty of others that might scratch the itch.

Yes!!! It was future prophecy! Phew finally I can put it to rest. Thank you. 

On 6/30/2020 at 10:20 PM, Basilisk said:

Shadows is the album I was thinking of. I'm not sure it's really all that good, but it is certainly a faithful imitation of WCOOH, and even includes a remix of Freak. Worth a listen if you're seeking more of that particular sound, but don't set your expectations too high.

Sadly not so much time at the moment, but I took a listen to 2 tracks from them and I like it so far, one can hear X-D influence.

@technosomy

I read a bit in the review section and found them there, also someone in this thread mentioned it too. The one I heard was also good, I need to check more out

Thanks for the good posts in this thread to all btw.B)

On 6/30/2020 at 10:15 PM, Basilisk said:

Circling back to the original question, I'd like to take a stab at it. Modern comparisons to X-Dream's second album are difficult because most new school Goa trance emphasizes Pleiadian maximalism or Dimension 5's emphasis on whirling cosmic melodies. X-Dream circa 1996 is distinguished by a much cleaner sound palette, sunny melodies (with an occasional hint of something sinister), and those warm, bubbling bass lines that everyone loves so much. I rifled through my collection and didn't find too much along these lines... but two albums jumped out at me: Robert Elster's Still Breathing and Solid Snake's Return to the Source, both released in 2016. Yes, they're both on the progressive psytrance tip, both are slower, but the vibe feels right, and those bass lines are certainly on point.

As for MFG, that feels a little easier, since Radical Distortion exists (check Asinar for a representative example of their imitation MFG sound). Maybe Artifact303's Back to Space would also qualify. My gut sense is that there's a fair amount of darker new school Goa trance roughly in this dimension (but I don't really listen to enough of it to know).

Finally, some potentially overlooked classics at least somewhat related to either X-Dream circa 1996 or MFG circa 1999: Morphem's Out of Focus, Noosphere's Radiated, California Sunshine's Flying Eye Land, Menis' Temporary Insanity, Passenger's For All Man Kind, and The Auranaut's People Want to Be Needed (certain tracks anyway).

I really love your analysis. Pleiadian maximalism. Thats a sentence I never thought Id see :) and I pretty much know exactly what youre talking about too :D Hrm sky* cough* input

• 2 weeks later...

Just listening to Deviant Electronics, seems ok stuff, but this album cover for sure rocks:

a1063586032_10.jpg

Ah and do not confuse the 2 bands with "Deviant", as Deviant Species is in a sameish realm. Both seem good so far, however the Species might be more my taste. Need to listen to DE´s earlier stuff too ("Brainwashing..."), the Green Room did not grab me so far, but it´s not bad at all...

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Multi-Media said:

Just listening to Deviant Electronics, seems ok stuff, but this album cover for sure rocks:

a1063586032_10.jpg

Ah and do not confuse the 2 bands with "Deviant", as Deviant Species is in a sameish realm. Both seem good so far, however the Species might be more my taste. Need to listen to DE´s earlier stuff too ("Brainwashing..."), the Green Room did not grab me so far, but it´s not bad at all...

if you keep listening to it, it will

• Like 1

Green room was very forgettable indeed, I see you mentioned Deviant Species, the style is very different but the album "in the hands of the randomiser" is terrific and very overlooked, especially the title track is brutal:

@Manuser

Yeah the other deviants are already on my "to check out more" list, but for now I check this one out and find it better so far than the Green Room, from which only 3-4 tracks seem noteworthy (but the art design is top)

Edit, seems I listened to some tracks from this album before - so a 2nd listen reveals it is better than I remember

On 7/15/2020 at 6:48 AM, Manuser said:

Green room was very forgettable indeed, I see you mentioned Deviant Species, the style is very different but the album "in the hands of the randomiser" is terrific and very overlooked, especially the title track is brutal:

Ok, I am now going to listen to this other Species, the first 2 albums on Discogs have more an average rating, while the Randomizer has a very good one:
https://www.discogs.com/de/Deviant-Species-In-The-Hands-Of-The-Randomiser/master/763072

But start with this one:
https://www.discogs.com/de/Deviant-Species-The-Quest-For-Balojax/release/214964

This seems to have Lovecraftien vibes judging from artwork and titles and I used to be Lovecraft fan as also some Goth stuff used this a theme...btw. the first DE album posted above I noted as a future purchase. I will after DS, then check some more of the Future Prophecy, I only listened to 2-3 tracks so far, seems ok.

Edit, I have a feeling not too many here will like DS, it is not very melodic so far and as we learnt (from a troll posters video) psytrance is dead without huge melodies/cheese etc (*sarc*) :)

Mh, the 2nd DS album seems a mixed bag, not everything is available for listen, but seems the 4 tracks I heard were a bit too minimal for my taste. Here an example, to my ears not bad but lacking some more drive. Some elements sound like music I am working on atm. - interestingly...

Here another somewhat better track vom same album:

I found however a 2 track EP, here is sideA from it, so far my fave: (the b-side is quite forgettable tho)

Put that above track on my buy list, if it can be bought seperatly

I wonder if someone still participates in the thread ?LOL

On 6/16/2020 at 2:43 PM, astralprojection said:

Im pretty sure someone will come along here shortly and remind me and Us what that artist I was thinking of is called. I think it was a two word name, and the sound was just like x-dream. Dammit brain.  I suppose it could have been COP but that would be a bit too easy and it doesnt ring the right bell, and im pretty sure noone of X-dream was actually in that group (if it was even a group maybe just a solo artist), and the two word name sticks somehow. 

anyhoo, maybe it jogs someones brain

noosphere?

ohhhh! you mean Organic Noise!

and their hit tune "spastic elastic"

• 2 weeks later...

Back to listening....

This Deviant Species stuff (The Randomizer) sounds also a bit like The Delta, or for sure it is good! I have 2 Tracks which go in a sameish direction, I wonder how one would sort the style in ? I mean I would not care personally which stype, but most listeners and distributors need at least one or better 2 style categories...people in this thread seem fit in the darker styles so perhaps can help? I could send you a sample from my track also next week.;)

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/19/2020 at 6:51 PM, the goa constrictor said:

It's 2008, so not quite your criteria, but I often think the M.E.E.O. album "Highlight Me Please" from Demon Tea Recordings is criminally overlooked for its refreshing 90s-era psychedelic quality while also sounding fresh and updated. It reminds me of those early Twisted Records releases and delivers a rich full sonic punch with each track.

I didn't know that project, and I like the harmonic-wise soft approach the album takes. I'm at the moment having a hard time, digging through a lot of newer releases and most of them have this harsh, mechanic, unnatural and glitchy vibe. I can't seem to enjoy that anymore (at the moment). 

But I'm missing more melodic content in the first 3 tracks, didn't listen further tho.

UX and Morphic Resonance I remember as very heavy on the ears and lots of hi-end focus, and remember not liking it too much. But tomorrow I will give their newer stuff another listen, thanks for the recommendations. 

back2topic: Someone very unknown, but making really interesting music, while not at all psytrance I can recommend is "Nero's Day at Disneyland". He (nowadays she) distracted me from my psy journey quite some time xP