Progressive psy: Yay or Nay?

psychedelic chipmunk

\begin Rant

For ****'s sake, what is this progressive mania??? I want full-on psy, goa mixes and when I type in "Psytrance mix" into google, I get so many *********** progressive pieces of...

Yeah.

TL;DR Progressive is not exciting :<

\end Rant

Ok, progressive not being exciting is not true in general, but for me, in most cases it is true.

Nay.

You are absolutely right about that annoying presence everywhere and worst is meeting people who are fanatics of progressive and full on. Fuck, I'm tired of listening to how good they sound in sp situation, the grooves, the tempo and Goa is too fast and mindfuck. Wtf! :/

Only c heads like it. At least that's what I've seen. I find it very boring. Something about it really puts me off. but I did stumble upon some very nice progressive psy (no brainer, it was because of the good use of acid lines in them) I can't recall the name and I can source my acid elsewhere , so I didn't bother to look for them.

progressive is nice, as long as it's really progressive psytrance (for instance human blue, e-clip, lyctum, gaudium, ...) and not some other non-psy genre of music that just gets called "psytrance" in order to play it at psy parties (for instance captain hook, ritmo, d-nox&beckers, ...)

of course prog is not the kind of music i like to hear between 00:00 and 06:00, but darkpsy isn't either...

for dancing a little in the heat of the afternoon at a festival progressive is perfect. you can dance in a relaxed way, saving your energies for the night (when they would hopefully play goa trance or (psychedelic) fullon). fullon or goa in the afternoon is a waste. you have to go crazy to that sort of music. and this is better done at night when it's dark, when the decoration and lights can have their full effect and when it's cool enough to exhaust yourself.

having the main acts play in the afternoon is something is something i'd expect from a children's birthday party, but not a psytrance party.

back on topic: i think progressive is now of lower quality, simply because its the latest hype. every me-too artist makes prog now. the good thing about this is that the percentage of of fullon which is good is actually acceptable again ;)

• Like 3

"Is something is something"

I thought it was just me! Who types the same words multiple times without knowing that I have done it. Are we looking at a condition here?

i don't think it's a condition, but just someone who pauses typing to think and then is too lazy to read what is already there and just continues typing. i don't think it's a condition, but just someone who pauses typing to think and then is too lazy to read what is already there and just continues typing. i don't think it's a condition, but just someone who pauses typing to think and then is too lazy to read what is already there and just continues typing.

• Like 1

to be honest, most of the time i don't really notice it when other people do it. when just reading forums i don't read the posts that critically, so my brain extracts the meaning without me noticing the mistakes ;). i only get upset when i see it happening in one of my own posts (when someone quotes me. i don't proofread) :)

Typical Psynews, pick a subgenre which is not goa and shit on it.

The only unifying criterion of prog is that it is less intense and usually slower than other psy, besides that prog is very diverse, it may or may not be minimal, may or may not be melodic, may or may not be trippy, may or may not be cheesy, may or may not be made by a random clueless dude who has just installed Fruity Loops and torrented the latest preset pack. Lots of prog i think is really good, like Relativ/Sideform, Vibrasphere/Robert Elster, Andromeda, Suntree, Freq, some Lyctum, Static Movement, Motion Drive, Ticon, NOK, Ellinio and Orisma, etc, too many to name.

Well, as regards the current state of prog, the ultimate truth is this

progressive is now of lower quality, simply because its the latest hype. every me-too artist makes prog now.

• Like 1

Typical Psynews, pick a subgenre which is not goa and shit on it.

The only unifying criterion of prog is that it is less intense and usually slower than other psy, besides that prog is very diverse, it may or may not be minimal, may or may not be melodic, may or may not be trippy, may or may not be cheesy, may or may not be made by a random clueless dude who has just installed Fruity Loops and torrented the latest preset pack. Lots of prog i think is really good, like Relativ/Sideform, Vibrasphere/Robert Elster, Andromeda, Suntree, Freq, some Lyctum, Static Movement, Motion Drive, Ticon, NOK, Ellinio and Orisma, etc, too many to name.

Well, as regards the current state of prog, the ultimate truth is this

Old minimal/early progressive is much better than what is often called "Psy-progressive".