Funky beats like Texas Faggott - Texas Faggott

Blair Thaumic

I love the breaks tracks on Texas Faggott's 1st album, like Kainalo-peukalokaukalo-sporty feta or Kikkarapia Kakkarapia. Really, the whole album is more fluid, undulating, and funkier than any other psy I've heard, using polyrhythms and funklines to such clever effect. I recently rediscovered this album and it's even better than I remembered it.

Most 'breaktrance' is very aggressive, and borrows from hip hop/drum n' bass. This doesn't have any of those beats, but seems to have more of a jazz/funk/Afrobeat thing going on (I know they've sampled Fela Kuti before.)

I don't think anything they (or Squaremeat) did afterwards matches it. And I've heard lots of Suomi that's kinda funky, but not funky on THIS level. This is another galaxy of funkiness. Maybe Rip Van Hippy comes close. But his music isn't usually as danceable. Has anyone else done something like this in psytrance? Any other Suomi, or Aussie, or...? random psy artist I should be listening to?

Excuse my rambling and musical ignorance. :)

I love the breaks tracks on Texas Faggott's 1st album, like Kainalo-peukalokaukalo-sporty feta or Kikkarapia Kakkarapia. Really, the whole album is more fluid, undulating, and funkier than any other psy I've heard, using polyrhythms and funklines to such clever effect. I recently rediscovered this album and it's even better than I remembered it.

Most 'breaktrance' is very aggressive, and borrows from hip hop/drum n' bass. This doesn't have any of those beats, but seems to have more of a jazz/funk/Afrobeat thing going on (I know they've sampled Fela Kuti before.)

I don't think anything they (or Squaremeat) did afterwards matches it. And I've heard lots of Suomi that's kinda funky, but not funky on THIS level. This is another galaxy of funkiness. Maybe Rip Van Hippy comes close. But his music isn't usually as danceable. Has anyone else done something like this in psytrance? Any other Suomi, or Aussie, or...? random psy artist I should be listening to?

Excuse my rambling and musical ignorance. :)

Are you looking for a jazz beat? Then look no further:

Most stuff by Eat Static especially their albums "In The Nude", "Science Of The Gods".

You should check out Rip Van Hippy

Hey, I did say Rip Van Hippy was the closest thing to TF. Probably The Visitors, Shaolin Wooden Men as well.

James Reipas and I think Luomohappo (need to hear more) also do some interesting things with non programmed sounding rhythms.

The music recommended is great but a little more rhythmically conventional than what I'm looking for. Procs is unique though, I have his first album but I'm going to listen to more from him.

• Like 1

Ha!
You did say Rip Van Hippy
Shit, I missed that in there.

Check out the Psy-Harmonics comps 4, 5, 6, and Iconic
Many tracks are just monikers for Ollie Olsen (Shaolin Wooden Men, Visitors) but they are great.
Iconic might be one of my most favorite comps ever.

Good choice with Outolintu. Outolintu is the only artist to ever remix Rip Van Hippy. I wrote a glowing review for Odd Man Out when that came out. It's really great stuff.

Might want to check out Psilodump. It's a bit more chiptune and 8-bit sounding, but still real fun breaky stuff

Kino Oko has a variety of stuff and while not all of it is breaky, some is and everything he does sounds quite unlike anything else and might work with what you are after.

Kiwa is some great breaky, funky, groovy stuff. You'd likely enjoy them a lot

One of my favorite Ace in the Hole is an artist named Kixotek.

He has one track on the first Psymply Psychedelic compilation available on Ektoplazm. I always thought that he would be a great addition to Psy-Harmonics but Andrew disbanded that label to focus on techno music...

You should try Nick Taylor's side project "Snake Thing" His best breakbeat tracks are "Blizzard Of Ooze" and "Scorch".